Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A questions regarding Exp and Loot

LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

I understand that when you help kill a mob, you get the full exp regardless of whether or not you hit it first. Every one that helped gets EXP and LOOT.

Does anyone know if the EXP and LOOT is based on how much you contributed or do you have to hit it once to register?

So if I go around and aggro every single MOB, and get them all around me, and have everyone AOE the ground as I dodge away. Will it be a sort of Power Leveling that can be abused??

To avoid abuse of this, I think the Mobs should hit harder, so that if you accidentally aggro 2 or 3 you will die if you can 't get away. By making it harder to survive against multiples, there will be no aggro train since you will die if they catch up, And no one in their right mind would want to deal with that train of mobs, therefore eliminating this from being abused.

Whats others thoughts on this??

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

Comments

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Originally posted by Lucioon

I understand that when you help kill a mob, you get the full exp regardless of whether or not you hit it first. Every one that helped gets EXP and LOOT.

Does anyone know if the EXP and LOOT is based on how much you contributed or do you have to hit it once to register?

So if I go around and aggro every single MOB, and get them all around me, and have everyone AOE the ground as I dodge away. Will it be a sort of Power Leveling that can be abused??

To avoid abuse of this, I think the Mobs should hit harder, so that if you accidentally aggro 2 or 3 you will die if you can 't get away. By making it harder to survive against multiples, there will be no aggro train since you will die if they catch up, And no one in their right mind would want to deal with that train of mobs, therefore eliminating this from being abused.

everyone who hit it gets the same xp and loot chance.. example. I was in an event that was waved of mobs attacking.. I was using aoe to tag the mobs then signle targeting down ones that were getting through. I had a bunch of bodies with loot waiting for me when we were done even tho I basically only tagged all of them.

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

Originally posted by ariboersma

everyone who hit it gets the same xp and loot chance.. example. I was in an event that was waved of mobs attacking.. I was using aoe to tag the mobs then signle targeting down ones that were getting through. I had a bunch of bodies with loot waiting for me when we were done even tho I basically only tagged all of them.

Do you find that to be a problem in larger scale, when the game goes live, or it wasn't a problem at all? Is it a problem in your opinion?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Originally posted by Thomson

- 3+ Mobss will basically one-shot you if you get hit

- Mobs yield VERY low exp (like 7-10 exp when you need 7k)

Important loot comes from Karma -> Dynamic Event / Dungeons

Most exp comes from different things -> Heartquest, Events, Exploration

In that case, then the only abuse would be trash loot, cool.

I am glad they already saw the potential of abuse and its already build with it being taken cared of when mob exp arent as important.

Was just worried because you will always get a group of players that does none of the quests and none of the stories, and just grind away with mob kills. They might still get a small advantage but it will get boring fast for them, and with the way the mobs hits hard, it will be even harder for them to abuse it.

Thank You for the replies.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Do you find that to be a problem in larger scale, when the game goes live, or it wasn't a problem at all? Is it a problem in your opinion?

why would this be a problem? It makes people have reasons to work together. I just am not sure what problem could this create in your eyes since you seem to be worried about it.

why would this be a problem? It makes people have reasons to work together. I just am not sure what problem could this create in your eyes since you seem to be worried about it.

Nah, not anymore, Thomson quelled the slight worry that I had.

snip

Nah, not anymore, Thomson quelled the slight worry that I had.

awesome :)

• WolfynsongWolfynsong Member Posts: 237

Another good thing about this setup is that it will make it much more difficult for gold farmers to gain access to large quantities of desired items.  That, in addition to the cash shop setup (which I've played in other games, and it works just as billed), should help curb gold spammers considerably.

+9001

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

They've said there is some threshold for amount of damage you need to do to a mob in order to get xp and loot from it and that at one point it was something like 5%.

The point of the system is to get people playing together by rewarding them for helping.  The more people are together, the more a dynamic event will scale up (in a lot of cases the more mobs it will spawn) leading to more xp and loot for everyone.

If someone is going around dropping AoEs on mobs constantly, it's not like they're abusing the system in order to powerlevel, they're contributing by using smart tactics to do a bunch of damage.  DEs give different levels of reward based on participation.  If someone was just tagging mobs and then doing nothing, they'd risk getting less of an event reward.

To be honest, I'm not even sure that tagging mobs is the way to go if you want to level quickly.  If anything, you want to help one guy focus his mob down, so the two of you can help a third guy focus his mob down, etc, etc.  Killing quicker means faster respawns which means faster events which means moving on to the next big reward more quickly.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

To elaborate, just "tagging" a mob actually isn't enough, you need to cross a certain damage threshold to qualify for the exp/loot. See the Q&A at the PAXprime2011 panel.

arrgh, took too long to find the video, Cali ninja'd! 

Originally posted by cali59

They've said there is some threshold for amount of damage you need to do to a mob in order to get xp and loot from it and that at one point it was something like 5%.

The point of the system is to get people playing together by rewarding them for helping.  The more people are together, the more a dynamic event will scale up (in a lot of cases the more mobs it will spawn) leading to more xp and loot for everyone.

If someone is going around dropping AoEs on mobs constantly, it's not like they're abusing the system in order to powerlevel, they're contributing by using smart tactics to do a bunch of damage.  DEs give different levels of reward based on participation.  If someone was just tagging mobs and then doing nothing, they'd risk getting less of an event reward.

To be honest, I'm not even sure that tagging mobs is the way to go if you want to level quickly.  If anything, you want to help one guy focus his mob down, so the two of you can help a third guy focus his mob down, etc, etc.  Killing quicker means faster respawns which means faster events which means moving on to the next big reward more quickly.

@Wolfynsong I totally agree

@Cali59 AOEing mobs then standing doing nothing would only work if there was a lot of people around.. possibly not even then depending on event scaling. They would have a high risk of agroing mobs by standing away from people and agroing from damage/proximity if they are in the mix. I have no idea about the actual succeeding reward being less but they could be in many cases the turning point whether the event succeeds or doesn't.

I think your last point hits the nail on the head.

Originally posted by Naqaj

To elaborate, just "tagging" a mob actually isn't enough, you need to cross a certain damage threshold to qualify for the exp/loot. See the Q&A at the PAXprime2011 panel.

arrgh, took too long to find the video, Cali ninja'd! 

nice link, ty.. I wonder what that threshhold is? I know that in many cases in my explanation one ack forget the skill name but the fanned out bow skill that is a frontal cone aoe type.. anyways one use of that seemed to be enough. Of course my pet may have been attacking making me able to "tag" more of the mobs. I will have to test it out more in game.. BETA GET HERE!!!

• Skyy_HighSkyy_High Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 138

Originally posted by Thomson

- 3+ Mobss will basically one-shot you if you get hit

- Mobs yield VERY low exp (like 7-10 exp when you need 7k)

Important loot comes from Karma -> Dynamic Event / Dungeons

Most exp comes from different things -> Heartquest, Events, Exploration

I want to QFT this, and also add that mobs have, IMO, fairly tight leashes. You're not going to be training them all over the map to set up a big AoE. Killing trash mobs was basically pointless in most GW1, and it looks to be pointless in GW2 as well; go do a DE or something, you'll get much better XP, karma, loot, and gold. 

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

I would completely let go of the idea of grinding out random mobs to level up quickly. Not only is doing events more interesting, it also seems to be a lot faster. And that's not even considering that there's no need to rush to level cap, since there's nothing interesting happening there that would justify the effort :)

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

You do not get the same XP and the same loot... You might not even get the loot if you didn't contribute enough, XP you do get but it's a lot less than it would be if you contributed to somewhat equal amount in killing that mob or completing/failing an event.

You will die if you hit 3 mobs and don't have enough skills to survive, that's not questionable :D... They'll rip you apart unless someone's there to help you with it (but then it scales up so it's still challanging but it's easier to evade the mobs)

Killing mobs will not get you enough XP to level up fast enough whatever you do... It's hard to get levels simply by killing mobs.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Exactly. Said pretty much everything I was going to say.

This system is one of the reasons mob XP is fairly low vs. XP from Dynamic Events, tasks, etc...

I'd point out that for explorers, mobs accumulate bonus XP the longer it has been since they were last defeated. Grinding mobs in one spot will be very inefficient for XP in this game, but explorers will run accross more DEs and also are more likely to get bonus XP for kills.

As to Dynamic Events, they do scale up in difficulty depending on how many people are actively participating. So, some mobs will scale when more than one person is attacking it, but never by enough to make it a negative for people to help you.

The DEs themselves hand out rewards based on participation thresholds; you don't compete for a limited number of "gold level rewards", everyone's reward level is based on meeting certain thresholds of participation.

The game actively rewards cooperation, even cooperation outside of formal grouping, while not requiring group play for the vast majority of content. Solo friendly, cooperation friendly, group friendly; all in one.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Originally posted by korent1991

You do not get the same XP and the same loot... You might not even get the loot if you didn't contribute enough, XP you do get but it's a lot less than it would be if you contributed to somewhat equal amount in killing that mob or completing/failing an event.

You will die if you hit 3 mobs and don't have enough skills to survive, that's not questionable :D... They'll rip you apart unless someone's there to help you with it (but then it scales up so it's still challanging but it's easier to evade the mobs)

Killing mobs will not get you enough XP to level up fast enough whatever you do... It's hard to get levels simply by killing mobs.

Just to be clear, Dynamic Event rewards are based on participation thresholds.

Individual mobs do indeed award full XP and full loot for everyone who participates in the kill nad meets a very minimal threshold. The threshold can vary based on the number of participants, but 5% has been thrown around by the devs.

The game even grants you XP and loot based on your true level, rather than your adjusted level while adventuring in lower level areas.

Depending on the level gap, the XP rate may be a bit less efficient than for tackling content at your true level and you may also not be able to obtain the rarest items from the loot table for your level. Even at an extreme level disparity, however, the gap is relatively minor. An example from the devs last fall said something to the effect of a level 79 doing level 20 content might level 15% slower than they would downing level 79 content. With the flat leveling curve from level 20-80 in the game, every level from 20-80 is expected to take about 1 1/2 hours each. So, in the hypothetical, it might take the level 79 helping a level 20 friend an extra 15 minutes to level, which isn't a big deal at all.

Scaling down for lower level content can also apply a penalty to your hidden loot table roll, so the level 79 doing level 20 content will still get level 79 appropriate loot, but they may not be able to get the rarest items from the loot table.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Originally posted by fiontar

Originally posted by korent1991

Just to be clear, Dynamic Event rewards are based on participation thresholds.

Individual mobs do indeed award full XP and full loot for everyone who participates in the kill nad meets a very minimal threshold. The threshold can vary based on the number of participants, but 5% has been thrown around by the devs.

The game even grants you XP and loot based on your true level, rather than your adjusted level while adventuring in lower level areas.

Depending on the level gap, the XP rate may be a bit less efficient than for tackling content at your true level and you may also not be able to obtain the rarest items from the loot table for your level. Even at an extreme level disparity, however, the gap is relatively minor. An example from the devs last fall said something to the effect of a level 79 doing level 20 content might level 15% slower than they would downing level 79 content. With the flat leveling curve from level 20-80 in the game, every level from 20-80 is expected to take about 1 1/2 hours each. So, in the hypothetical, it might take the level 79 helping a level 20 friend an extra 15 minutes to level, which isn't a big deal at all.

Scaling down for lower level content can also apply a penalty to your hidden loot table roll, so the level 79 doing level 20 content will still get level 79 appropriate loot, but they may not be able to get the rarest items from the loot table.

Hm, only 5 %?

Didn't know the treshold is that low. Thanks for clearing that up :)

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• DawnstarDawnstar Member UncommonPosts: 207

@Wolfynsong I totally agree

@Cali59 AOEing mobs then standing doing nothing would only work if there was a lot of people around.. possibly not even then depending on event scaling. They would have a high risk of agroing mobs by standing away from people and agroing from damage/proximity if they are in the mix. I have no idea about the actual succeeding reward being less but they could be in many cases the turning point whether the event succeeds or doesn't.

I think your last point hits the nail on the head.

+1

• Skyy_HighSkyy_High Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 138

Originally posted by fiontar

Exactly. Said pretty much everything I was going to say.

This system is one of the reasons mob XP is fairly low vs. XP from Dynamic Events, tasks, etc...

I'd point out that for explorers, mobs accumulate bonus XP the longer it has been since they were last defeated. Grinding mobs in one spot will be very inefficient for XP in this game, but explorers will run accross more DEs and also are more likely to get bonus XP for kills.

As to Dynamic Events, they do scale up in difficulty depending on how many people are actively participating. So, some mobs will scale when more than one person is attacking it, but never by enough to make it a negative for people to help you.

The DEs themselves hand out rewards based on participation thresholds; you don't compete for a limited number of "gold level rewards", everyone's reward level is based on meeting certain thresholds of participation.

The game actively rewards cooperation, even cooperation outside of formal grouping, while not requiring group play for the vast majority of content. Solo friendly, cooperation friendly, group friendly; all in one.

Oooooooh, THAT is what that little "bonus XP" thing is? I've been trying to figure that out for so long...makes total sense though.