Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Returned to SWTOR for the free week... WTF was I thinking?

So I played the first month then didn't subscribe because SWTOR isn't good. Not as a mmo, not as a Star Wars game, not as a RP game, not as a space combat game, not as a 200+ million dollar game, not as a Bioware game, not as a overhyped game, not as an exploration game. In a fair world Bioware should owe me 70 euros.

I wasn't level 50 after a month, yes in Bioware's eyes it makes me a loser, I'm sorry, I'll run as quick as I can to the ultimate goal of top level with the sheep flock in my next mmo, I promise, to be considered a dedicated player. But I read about the free week and reinstalled it to see the changes since beginning and try to rescue the poor souls still trapped in my guild.

Alderan. 11 people on the planet. 5 guys left in my guild (from 36). Empty large depressing Cantina where I logged off 3 months ago. Big empty city. 2 droids moving 10 meters to and fro. No ambient sounds. Take the taxi to the next quest hubs. Mobs standing still by threes or fours moving their limbs and head sometimes. My commando character has obviously too long legs compared to her trunk and her moves aren't fluid. Go through water. No swimming. Camera under water gives a grey water surface, wtf. Kill mobs, return to quest npc. What next? Depressive mood. Trying to get excited and find reasons to play. Maybe an instance. Because mmo's are about running instances right? But first, walk 50 meters from the quest hub, jump between a rock and a tree to get to a node. Stuck in the air jumping, crucified on the tree. Can't move anymore. Blocked on a damn tree 30 centimeters above ground. 200+ millions dollars. Uninstalled.

My lasting impression of SWTOR: I feel like a fool wasting time and money because I trusted them to do a proper mmo and they didn't deliver at all.

Comments

• RodimusPrimeRodimusPrime Member Posts: 114

You were thinking of coming on here to moan about a game you did not like to begin with? Did I win?

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

I don't share your opinion.

SWTOR has a lot of flaws that they need to bust ass to fix...but you sound like someone who likes to whine. Obviously you expected something else...please go find it.

• BoatsmateBoatsmate Member Posts: 208

To call someone a troll or a whiner on these forums is moot.

Ballerinas are always on their toes. Why don't they just get taller ballerinas?

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

yea, wish I had waited 6 months to buy the game myself, both copies.

I should have learned with FF14.

I won't decide on GW2 until 3 months after release

On a side note, I do give props to Bioware for their first attempt at a MMO..TOR is not that bad, but I think people just don't understand it takes a while of tweaking to get a game smooth.

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

it's downright depressing that even their world event is a copypaste of a WoW world event from 2008. And that's an AAA title? /sigh

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

Homer Simpson would run into a door, get up, run into the door, get up, run into the door, get up, run into the door. With a comical 'Ow! Doh!' each time. <- metaphor.

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615

Originally posted by wowfan1996

[mod edit]  it's downright depressing that even their world event is a copypaste of a WoW world event from 2008. And that's an AAA title? /sigh

and a much hated event my much of wow's player base.  good job BW/EA

Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • MyPreciousssMyPreciousss Member Posts: 427

Originally posted by TUX426

SWTOR has a lot of flaws that they need to bust ass to fix...but you sound like someone who likes to whine. Obviously you expected something else...please go find it.

When I buy an expensive game that is broken, hasn't the promised textures, lacks core mmo features, has multiple bugs, has broken and massive lag in pvp instances, breaks more things than fixes them in patches, is only innovating in finding tricks to hide the real sub number, yes you're right I then become someone who likes to whine.

And you're right again, I expected something else, like you know... a decent working mmo, a game sold only after its completion. I have these crazy ideas sometimes!

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841

I've returned recently as well...1.2 was a nice update, much needed..It still has a long ways to go though and will probably never touch what was expected of it considering the budget, IP and developing studio.

If you were not having fun before 1.2 your not going to have fun after 1.2

ToR is okay...its nothing more and nothing less...It's very similar to everything else on the market.  People claiming its downright terrible are being dramatic, people claiming its awesome are being dramatic.

I reccomend ToR as a good solid month or two of gameplay depending on how casual you are..think of it as a single player game with a side game PvP.  End game is atrocious.

Originally posted by MyPreciousss

When I buy an expensive game that is broken, hasn't the promised textures, lacks core mmo features, has multiple bugs, has broken and massive lag in pvp instances, breaks more things than fixes them in patches, is only innovating in finding tricks to hide the real sub number, yes you're right I then become someone who likes to whine.

And you're right again, I expected something else, like you know... a decent working mmo, a game sold only after its completion. I have these crazy ideas sometimes!

Yet you try it again and come here to complain about it. Must be a gluton for punishment I guess. Normally when I try things and don't like them I do not go back.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by RodimusPrime

I prefer trolls.

You're definitely in luck because there isn't much to do about SWTOR but troll its remaining fans.

But won't troll this time, I'll be dead serious for once: it's downright depressing that even their world event is a copypaste of a WoW world event from 2008. And that's an AAA title? /sigh

You must be a person who thinks wow invented the wheel.

Henry Ford didn't invent it either. But he put more people on them than anyone else at the time.

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

I prefer trolls.

You're definitely in luck because there isn't much to do about SWTOR but troll its remaining fans.

[mod edit] it's downright depressing that even their world event is a copypaste of a WoW world event from 2008. And that's an AAA title? /sigh

You must be a person who thinks wow invented the wheel.

Henry Ford didn't invent it either. But he put more people on them than anyone else at the time.

Same as WOW :)

• MyPreciousssMyPreciousss Member Posts: 427

Yet you try it again and come here to complain about it. Must be a gluton for punishment I guess. Normally when I try things and don't like them I do not go back.

Complaining about a mmo in forums dedicated to mmo's, yeah I must be out of my mind. Retesting a game after 3 months and a Jesus patch expecting something better can be a good choice, as some mmo's evolve for the better. 

[mod edit]

Complaining about a mmo in forums dedicated to mmo's, yeah I must be out of my mind. Retesting a game after 3 months and a Jesus patch expecting something better can be a good choice, as some mmo's evolve for the better. 

[mod edit]

You have every right to post...but lemme offer you some advice...hold off on purchasing new MMOs in the future. You may want to give them 6-12 months if you're not willing to put up with the tweaking that needs to be done in EVERY MMO after it's released.

And we're not trolling your thread, you're getting the attention you sought when you made it, cheer up! This is like facebook for geeks! Also, I'm at work and the o-boards are down right now. If you can't take someone disargeeing with your whiny opinion, don't post.

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

You are entitled to your opinion, everyone has one and rarely are they the same.

Most people who rage quit over SWTOR have long since left this forum, so don't be surprised that there isn't a huge amount of agreement with you here.

But then, most people know that an MMO isn't going to change to any degree in three months, most don't change after a year.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

This sounds a lot like the time I had spinach.

I hate spinach. My dad used to boil it when I was growing up, and the stink would literally fill the entire house. He would call me into the kitchen and tell me to eat it, it would make me strong like Popeye, etc. It was miserable. I couldn't imagine a worse food in the entire world.

Well a few months went by and I decided, you know, I'm gonna try spinach again.

I still fucking hated it. So you know what I did? I went to the vegetable forums and straight to the spinach section to tell all those people how much spinach fucking sucks, and how I much I hated it even after trying it a second time. Boy oh boy, did I save a lot of people the trouble of eating spinach. Even the ones who liked spinach appreciated me coming to their forums and stirring up the pot of hatred for their beloved leaf.

All of my friends called me crazy. They said, 'Hey dude, why would you go to a forum and tell everyone that you hate something that you already knew you hated?' But they were wrong, I was totally justified, and I totally didn't annoy everyone with my asinine posts.

God damned spinach.

Originally posted by rygard49

I hate spinach. My dad used to boil it when I was growing up, and the stink would literally fill the entire house. He would call me into the kitchen and tell me to eat it, it would make me strong like Popeye, etc. It was miserable. I couldn't imagine a worse food in the entire world.

I still fucking hated it. So you know what I did? I went to the vegetable forums and straight to the spinach section to tell all those people how much spinach fucking sucks, and how I much I hated it even after trying it a second time. Boy a boy, did I save a lot of people the trouble of eating spinach. Even the ones who liked spinach appreciated me coming to their forums and stirring up the pot of hatred for their beloved leaf.

All of my friends called me crazy. They said, 'Hey dude, why would you go to a forum and tell everyone that you hate something that you already knew you hated?' But they were wrong, I was totally justified, and I totally didn't annoy everyone with my asinine posts.

God damned spinach.

Your dad was Popeye wasn't he? :)

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

I still fucking hated it. So you know what I did? I went to the vegetable forums and straight to the spinach section to tell all those people how much spinach fucking sucks, and how I much I hated it even after trying it a second time. Boy a boy, did I save a lot of people the trouble of eating spinach. Even the ones who liked spinach appreciated me coming to their forums and stirring up the pot of hatred for their beloved leaf.

God damned spinach.

That really and trully made my day.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• huskie77huskie77 Member Posts: 354

Flawed but fun game. Not enough content to support the grind crew. Probably not a good primary game for someone who plays more than 25 hours a week.

Excuse the sentence fragments, I am trying to be more succinct on these forums since the majority of people don't read entire sentences like this one and instead react to a collection of 2 or 3 words out of context to support their own inflexible opinions.

• nikoliathnikoliath Member UncommonPosts: 1,154

God damned spinach.

epic :)

I still fucking hated it. So you know what I did? I went to the vegetable forums and straight to the spinach section to tell all those people how much spinach fucking sucks, and how I much I hated it even after trying it a second time. Boy oh boy, did I save a lot of people the trouble of eating spinach. Even the ones who liked spinach appreciated me coming to their forums and stirring up the pot of hatred for their beloved leaf.

God damned spinach.

Yeah, sorry to do this too, but...I'm gonna quote you as well and tell you how freaking brilliant this was lol!

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

God damned spinach.

/thread

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

God damned spinach.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

So I played the first month then didn't subscribe because SWTOR isn't good. Not as a mmo, not as a Star Wars game, not as a RP game, not as a space combat game, not as a 200+ million dollar game, not as a Bioware game, not as a overhyped game, not as an exploration game. In a fair world Bioware should owe me 70 euros.

I wasn't level 50 after a month, yes in Bioware's eyes it makes me a loser, I'm sorry, I'll run as quick as I can to the ultimate goal of top level with the sheep flock in my next mmo, I promise, to be considered a dedicated player. But I read about the free week and reinstalled it to see the changes since beginning and try to rescue the poor souls still trapped in my guild.

Alderan. 11 people on the planet. 5 guys left in my guild (from 36). Empty large depressing Cantina where I logged off 3 months ago. Big empty city. 2 droids moving 10 meters to and fro. No ambient sounds. Take the taxi to the next quest hubs. Mobs standing still by threes or fours moving their limbs and head sometimes. My commando character has obviously too long legs compared to her trunk and her moves aren't fluid. Go through water. No swimming. Camera under water gives a grey water surface, wtf. Kill mobs, return to quest npc. What next? Depressive mood. Trying to get excited and find reasons to play. Maybe an instance. Because mmo's are about running instances right? But first, walk 50 meters from the quest hub, jump between a rock and a tree to get to a node. Stuck in the air jumping, crucified on the tree. Can't move anymore. Blocked on a damn tree 30 centimeters above ground. 200+ millions dollars. Uninstalled.

My lasting impression of SWTOR: I feel like a fool wasting time and money because I trusted them to do a proper mmo and they didn't deliver at all.

I can send you a 7day friend referral . Just in case..in a few more months... you want to play a game you hated 4 months ago ..and again this month.

Originally posted by BarCrow

I can send you a 7day friend referral . Just in case..in a few more months... you want to play a game you hated 4 months ago ..and again this month.

God you're generous. Maybe we could get enough codes that he could write bi-monthly recaps while he waits for GW2 to release?