Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Prediction: At the end of 2012 EA will buy ZeniMax/Bethesda

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Just thought of something really bad, ArenaNet! More plausible than bethseda.
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by ShakyMo

Don't worry, ANet's Korean overlord NCSoft will keep them safe.

Forum pvp: re ea and xl games
    Unfortunately ea would tell them
    Make it 2 factions
    Put in more instances
    Don't spend this money on the game spend it on some flashy intro videos
    Let's make ships cash shop items
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Please don't say that image

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• ChromeBallzChromeBallz Member UncommonPosts: 342

Zenimax is in far too good a financial position, with EA getting into trouble on the other side.

A takeover won't happen, not this year, not for the next few years. At the moment, EA can't afford to buy Zenimax and even if they could, after all the recent hubbub Zenimax shareholders won't sell ;p

Playing: WF
    Played: WoW, GW2, L2, WAR, AoC, DnL (2005), GW, LotRO, EQ2, TOR, CoH (RIP), STO, TSW, TERA, EVE, ESO, BDO
    Tried: EQ, UO, AO, EnB, TCoS, Fury, Ryzom, EU, DDO, TR, RF, CO, Aion, VG, DN, Vindictus, AA

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

While Zenimax (and bethesda) has a pretty good reputation and decent financial position,  they've put out their share of flops too.  EA on the other hand,  I just don't see them trying to acquire Zenimax.. as honestly, there isn't anything strategically important they need right now from them.

A smaller developer would likely be the case here -- and honestly I'd see EA going after Mojang before Zenimax.

Rockstar isn't even on the map with the new GTA coming up, amongst others... they are looking at high profitability in just that alone.

EA would be looking to acquire something a bit more strategic... Zenimax seems like a gamble for the few IPs they hold - even if they are pretty well received.

• BoatsmateBoatsmate Member Posts: 208

I hope you are wrong on this one. I love Bethesda, my favorite developer. Can you imagine what Elder Scrolls would look like in EA's slimey hands? "EA announces that the new Elder Scrolls game will include 25 minutes of game time, and cost nine hundred dollars to purchase."

Ballerinas are always on their toes. Why don't they just get taller ballerinas?

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by Ceridith

What if EA aquires NCSoft?

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

I'd be more concerned about Hell having frozen over in that case.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

You know, I wonder what happens to all the sold and buried IPs EA has if EA crashes, like Ultima, Lands of Lore, C&C and so forth? Maybe they would fall into more capable hands?

Hm, so it would be in the crash we must place our hope.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by Robsolf

I predict that by the end of 2012, Activision-Blizzard and EA will merge into a super coporation, bent on tyranny and opression of the video game market.

In response, Gaben will seek the aid of Zenimax, leading a rebellion against the evil empire, ultimately resulting in ActiBlizzEA's BattleOrigin.net from being destroyed after Gaben launches a proton torpedo into an unprotected exhaust port.

Either that, or, the United States of America will lose a collective total of 14 billion pounds, as EA's stock takes a nosedive, all due to us gaming nerds getting fed up and going outside for once.

Come on, let's be realistic here...

image  OK, 13 billion pounds... which will alter the Earth's solar orbit, bring us closer to the sun, and we'll all die.  image

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Originally posted by Alot

I predict that by the end of the year average user activity on MMORPG.com is still pathetic.

Thats generous :)

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

Not to imageyour thread..

But I caught wind of Apple and Valve teaming up on a next generation console...

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Sure, why not join the jackwagon parade, everyone else is.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

Originally posted by Elikal

You know, I wonder what happens to all the sold and buried IPs EA has if EA crashes, like Ultima, Lands of Lore, C&C and so forth? Maybe they would fall into more capable hands?

daoc, magic carpet, sim city, syndicate, populous, wing commander

lets hope they go bust, then someone who can do these games justice gets the license

p.s. ive worked out who ea will be buying - funcom i reckon - two ea guys on their board, swtor is a flop, they want a mmo.

• Crusix221Crusix221 Member UncommonPosts: 100

To OP:

With what money?

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

I'd love to see something like Dungeon Keeper freed from EA's tyranny and scooped up by a decent indie dev.  If they chose to go the Kickstarter route, I have no doubt the funding would come pouring in.

Dungeon Keeper 3.  My dream.

EA burn in hell.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by Opapanax

Not to imageyour thread..

But I caught wind of Apple and Valve teaming up on a next generation console...

<broken image snipped>

That was a repulsive image.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

I think the pricetag would be too high even for EA.  Now if zenimax goes public, I may jump on that.

who sits on the board of  zenimax

Robert A. Altman

Chairman & CEO

Ernest Del

President

Jerry Bruckheimer

Jerry Bruckheimer Films

Michael Dominguez

Managing Director, Providence Equity Partners Inc.

Leslie Moonves

President & CEO, CBS Corporation

Cal Ripken, Jr.

President & CEO, Ripken Baseball, Inc.

Harry E. Sloan

Chairman, Global Eagle Acquisition Corp.

Robert S. Trump

President, Trump Management, Inc.

big movers in the non gaming media world, do you really think they are going to let EA come and bully them.

Originally posted by Unlight

I'd love to see something like Dungeon Keeper freed from EA's tyranny and scooped up by a decent indie dev.  If they chose to go the Kickstarter route, I have no doubt the funding would come pouring in.

Dungeon Keeper 3.  My dream.

EA burn in hell.

this looks interesting for DK fans a Dungeon Keeper / Dwarf Fortress hybrid.

http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/a-game-of-dwarves

• ABRaquelABRaquel Member UncommonPosts: 541

No, I have no knowledge whatsoever. Just a tinfoil hat and a crystal ball. I predict by the end of the year EA will have bought Bethesda.

Remember when it happens you heard it from me first. ^^

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if they bought THQ instead. (although THQ doesn't really have unique IPs, it's mostly licensed work)

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I couldn't stand to watch EA buy Bethesda Softworks.  It's one of the few game companies I actually respect.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

IF EA were to get themselves into that situation you could bet that they would sell off a few of their more profitable franchises.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson