Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Limbo

mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311

WAI has run out of funds :( So the game is not anymore atm

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.

Comments

• BizzybeastBizzybeast Member Posts: 14

I saw that and its sad. The game was terrible, absolutely unplayable with no clear goal line in sight. But it had very refreshing ideas that they slapped in. If they could of pulled it off, it might of been a enjoyable experience.

But they didnt. RIP Dumbtide.

It don't matter if their laughing at you or with you, as long as their laughing- Unique

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

Originally posted by Bizzybeast

I saw that and its sad. The game was terrible, absolutely unplayable with no clear goal line in sight. But it had very refreshing ideas that they slapped in. If they could of pulled it off, it might of been a enjoyable experience.

Your joking, do you understand why a Sandbox is??? Dawntide was what a sandbox should be.... I was in beta from alpa the game went a long ways for a small indiie team./..The issue was the combat was a big issue, and the AI needed a ton of work.

The idea was great, the crafting was fantastic.. The issue also today for MMO's is the gamers, the gamers expect to much, and want the world, investors will not invest unless its the EQ, WOW formula and those are facts because most gamers like easy games.. Most gamers hate full loot PVP...

Games like asheron call 1 UO, and such did well because they had PVE and PVP to give people choices they also have fun quests and things to do... The issue with sand box's they need to add more then just PVP elements...

The issue also is indies need to stop using a MMO as they first game, they need to make smaller scale games, then investors will take more chances with them if they shown they made games before, and I know this I have my degree in game design and been through all of this, and I work on smaller scale games...I would never do what these people do, people like Earthrise, Dawntide, Darkfall, or mortal online, all great ideas, but they need alot more PVE.

You need things for people to do, yes its a niche game, but they don't make money to stay online, so you need to  open your game a bit to draw in different type of people, not just the hardcore PVPERS, because your game will die...

Dawntide would of died in months, we told them the combat was to WOWish, it did not belong, the AI, was so wacked, but the other ideas where great, I like the quests , because it felt more old school and it had no hard holding, which games today have to much of, kids need to stop whining about games where they have to thinkf or a change.

Look at SWTOR, its nto doing great that has proven that gamers are tired of the game forumla, but the issue, is gamers need to chill...I used to be like most gamers until I went to school and see the real meat of it, and now I understand alot more, so people need to udnerstand MMO's are always in beta, and to balance PVE and PVP elements are not easy... People want and want and want, and then cry if its not 100% what they want.. The game fails and then the next game comes and fails and we move on....

I like supporting indies because of what I do, but they need to stop making an MMO first, big mistake, I knew this game would go offline, but I figured a few months after release..

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489

Ok ill just come out and say it.

Will indy developers please consider making games that have working BASICS in them?  A great idea and great sandbox features can only go so far if the game doesnt inclue a basic game in which to enjoy those features.

MO/Xyson/Earthrise im sure im missing a few...all brought a sandbox players wishlist of features to the table, gave gamers everything they wanted...then dropped them into a nearly unplayable world including terrible combat systems stability issues and creating an overall nightmare for the players who just wanted to be able to have an enjoyable gaming experience playing something that wasnt a damn wow-park.

You run out of money when you cant get people who just want a decent game to play to stay.  I gurantee you people who were not interested in this type of game would end up liking it (seeing as so many are bored with the same old) if only the game was playable.

I respect what people like wai did taking the risk bringing something to the table that wasnt approved by blizzard previously...however every time an indy developer brings a game to market in the unplayable condition that the recent sandbox attempts have been in...makes it look like these games are games people dont want, and they just keep making the wow-parks.

I cringe to think that if this game and earthrise would have started with a simple playable and smooth combat game, then started patching in the sandbox stuff and features they both would have money to keep going.  No one wants to buy a game like this where the combat is terrible and its plagued with issues.

Im not sure DT was as bad as earthrise or xyson was...but the combat was godawful for being on a gamebryo engin...an endgin thats been able to provide some solid gaming preformance for a very long time.

So please...make a game where the basics are functioning and enjoyable and youll have all the time and money to make the game a feature friendly sandbox, rather than making the ideas and features then dropping them into games with place holder combat systems and client stability that youll just fix downt he road...why because it becomes a very short road when the basic game isnt very entertaining or not even working.

Basically were all now stuck with darkfall, which...oddly enough...got the combat to where it was actually fin to fight stuff...and now they have the money to make a 2.0....for all that games faults at least it was fun to fight stuff...and now they have the money to impliment an awesome sounding crafting system as well as fix their problem of "everyone is the best at every role during the same encounter" giving the game a soft skill cap based on gear worn.... See they did the opposite, putting the good sandbox stuff people want in after they established a combat system and mechanics that were fun early.

Regardless...sad to see another one go...this one seemed to do just about everything right (though i didnt personally prefer some mechanic choices) aside from being a fun game to fight stuff in.

Originally posted by Darkcrystal

Originally posted by Bizzybeast

Your joking, do you understand why a Sandbox is??? Dawntide was what a sandbox should be.... I was in beta from alpa the game went a long ways for a small indiie team./..The issue was the combat was a big issue, and the AI needed a ton of work.

[/quote]

I hope you're joking. I know very well what a sandbox is. Its not sand imported from several other sandbox games, thrown in a turd infested sandbox. The combat was unbearably terrible and this isnt a mudd, it NEEDS good combat. The crafting was cool, but still nothing awesome or completely revolutionary in the industry. The game had good ideas and thats it.

I have good ideas, doesnt make me an exciting or anticipated MMORPG.

It don't matter if their laughing at you or with you, as long as their laughing- Unique

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841

I agree with the basics idea - game after game after game by indy companies are way too ambitious for their resources.  Get the basics working - very simple basics, make the world somewhat small (because indy games often have small populations) and work from there.  Too often these indy games are so ambitious and just fold under bugs and broken promises.

Originally posted by crysent

I agree with the basics idea - game after game after game by indy companies are way too ambitious for their resources.  Get the basics working - very simple basics, make the world somewhat small (because indy games often have small populations) and work from there.  Too often these indy games are so ambitious and just fold under bugs and broken promises.

Gotta agree with this, wraps the game up more.. gracefully.. Then my synopsis. These companies keep neglecting the loyalty of those playing a fun game. Start them on an island., and get that place running smoothly. When companies scream off their wish lists of things they want to add in, its more oft then not overwhelms them and their funds. Games like DarkFall, would still be played by tens of thousands of players, if it kept things smaller and balanced (the grind to be competetive). Sad to see projects like Dawn die off, but hope it helps some future company(s) bite off what they can chew.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Shame ive played few years back DT and thought it was nice game for future even with the many bugs at the time.