Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Runes of Magic any good?

Raisen223Raisen223 Member Posts: 6

Hello to the community of mmorpg.com, I'm new here. I'm an avid MMORPG lover who always seems to switch constantly to other MMORPGs due to not finding the right one for myself. But then; I've tried World of Warcraft. I've personally liked the game from the time that I had with it's free trial. I thought that World of Warcraft was the right game for me. So not wanting to pay, I start searching for this supposedly "WoW clones" that everyone keeps talking about. So anyways, after doing a bit of web surfing, I kept hearing about a game called 'Runes of Magic' in which they claim it to be "The best free WoW clone ever!" Now I'd like to ask all of you, how true does this game stand to this title? Is it truly the best free WoW clone ever conceived? If it is, then pleae tell me how would you rate it as a whole game from 0 to 10 in terms of music, gameplay, PvP, graphics, replay value, storyline, content and character customization? To be fully honest with you guys, I don't mind if the game fails to achieve a high score when it comes to graphics or game decorations, but having some eye candy to look at is always a plus isn't it? Also, if the game has a cash shop, then how dependant is the game on that cash shop? I'm going to be strictly free, so I'm not going to spend a dime on this game unless I get promotions, offers or whatever. I also think that it might be worthwhile listening to your past experiences of this game and your personal opinions of it. Sorry for having you guys to read a wall of text, but thank you all for reading all of it.image

TL;DR Read the sentences in bold and italics.

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

Ita a good game with lots to do...........and you could have really enjoyable time ....but endgame is cashshop heavy, stil a fun journey and if casual a long journey to endgame without needing cashshop..

• Raisen223Raisen223 Member Posts: 6

Any more suggestions?

• norman728norman728 Member UncommonPosts: 146

as a suggestion you should track down the old ROMCAST Podcast as it was good for info on the game. also they have a Youtube channel that highlights alot of the game too including ROMNATION.

Originally posted by norman728

as a suggestion you should track down the old ROMCAST Podcast as it was good for info on the game. also they have a Youtube channel that highlights alot of the game too including ROMNATION.

I want opinions, not information. I already know what the game's like, I just want to know good it really is.

• NeikenNeiken Member Posts: 254

Its a decent game. Its very VERY grindy after level 40, and cash shop intensive at endgame. If you plan on seriously playing endgame be prepared to spend a decent amount of money on it. If you like open world PvP, however, lots of fun is to be had on the PvP server. You'll need some cash there too, so you can keep your eqiups from randomly dropping off of you when being PK'd. Its a lot of fun though if your into that, I sure was >:).

• n00bitn00bit Member UncommonPosts: 345

As others have said, it's very cash-shop-intensive at the end....especially in PvP. I did enjoy it for a few weeks, but once I realized that I wasn't going to succeed in PvP without spending $100+, I decided to move elsewhere.

Meh, yet another game that I can't play. Okay then, do any of you guys know any games that are similar, but less cash shop intensive? Or with no cash shop at all?

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

I played it to 20 and thought it was an OK game, but I heard so many horror stories about the expense of the end game that I just lost interest and found other games.

Originally posted by Theocritus

I played it to 20 and thought it was an OK game, but I heard so many horror stories about the expense of the end game that I just lost interest and found other games.

Do you know any other substitutions to it though?

• NiffiNiffi Member Posts: 36

You dont need to pay anything for RoM. You can "buy" diamonds from other players as a "present" (you give them the money, they buy the item from the shop for you). You can climb very high with ease and perhaps its a good game.

But if you have played it like me since open beta 2008 you wont like the game its now very much. It was a very good game at the beginning, now it has many problems, the biggest one is, that the damage in every part of the game is much too high: onehits from bosses against everything except a tank, 15 second-boss-fights with more than 30 different bufffoods/buffs at the same time on one player (while the buffs, you can get from special supporters are weaker then comparable bufffood), onehit-pvp, to be continued.

So in my opinion, Runes of Magiy is now not a good game any more, but perhaps for a new beginner its different.

Greets Niffi

That sounds pretty good, but I'm not that new to MMORGPs either, so I'd probably find it awful just as you did as well. So any other similar games aren't as cash shop dependant?

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

I think RoM is a good example of pay to win. It has items that are required in the shop for you to do anything later on in the game. While you can earn the gold to buy the diamonds for it, it takes absurd amounts of time to do that, and the game itself doesn't have as much population as it once did.

• NiffiNiffi Member Posts: 36

I didnt mean with beginner someone, who plays his first game, but who plays first time this game. Perhaps the game is good for someone, who doesnt know, how it was before.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

Originally posted by Raisen223

Originally posted by Theocritus

Do you know any other substitutions to it though?

I've been playing old school games like EQ, DAoC, and Anarchy Online...All 3 have free options and I like the challenge of each.

• norman728norman728 Member UncommonPosts: 146

The reason I mentioned the ROM podcast as it gives a rebuttal to the Cash shop argument that plagues ROM. (But a small investment in the CS is recommended BUT NOT NEEDED as there are Endgame Players who haven't used the cash shop at all) also the Podcast will interview actual players about How they play the game and give advice and OPINONS on what could make the game better.

with Dual and even triple classing replay-ability and customiization is high.

ENDGAME and PVP (haven't reached there myself) is high competitive and adds to the CS argument again. (BUT if you use AH and run a few instances you can get the gear you need to compete) I hear it's fun if you have a good setup I have played in the guild Wrar and had an Awesome time.

it's F2P and if you get a good server (I'm on Govinda) you can usually get a PUG going and lose time as you have fun.

PS if you can find the Retail BOX(Usually at WALMART) it will give you everything you need for one $20 investment. including diamonds, mount cosmetic armor and an upgraded house and furniture and more

• Montana_MikeMontana_Mike Member Posts: 20

The reason I mentioned the ROM podcast as it gives a rebuttal to the Cash shop argument that plagues ROM. (But a small investment in the CS is recommended BUT NOT NEEDED as there are Endgame Players who haven't used the cash shop at all) also the Podcast will interview actual players about How they play the game and give advice and OPINONS on what could make the game better.

That is a lie.  No Endgame Player exist who haven't used the cash shop at all.  In fact, ALL Endgame Players have EXCESSIVELY used the cash shop.

I assume you me ToSH capable when you say Endgame Players, and not just someone who has managed to quest through half the zones.

Show me ANY Endgame Players without +16 weapons.  Show me ANY Endgame Players without clean stat'ed tier 7 armor.  Show me ANY Endgame Players without tier 8 (or higher) weapon runes, and tier 10 general purpose runes.  etc  You can't.  Even if they spent $0 of their own money, they STILL spent thousands of $$$$ of someone else's money.  Either way, all Endgame Players have used the cash shop, A LOT.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

Originally posted by Neiken

Its a decent game. Its very VERY grindy after level 40, and cash shop intensive at endgame. If you plan on seriously playing endgame be prepared to spend a decent amount of money on it. If you like open world PvP, however, lots of fun is to be had on the PvP server. You'll need some cash there too, so you can keep your eqiups from randomly dropping off of you when being PK'd. Its a lot of fun though if your into that, I sure was >:).

Yeah, hardly anyone PK's anymore since the changes about a year ago. Whites no longer drop, therefore you hardly have any red players "the ones that drop".

PvP servers are NOT the way to go if you want to play this game, pick a PvE server, much more populated and better economies, once PvP rules changed most people left them for other games.

Btw, the game is very expensive and time consuming,  the most expensive F2P cash shop ever. At one time Runes was a decent game, not so anymore.

If they brought back diamonds in the auction house and the original PvP rules it would be worth playing.

• Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193
    There are much better pay to play mmorpg's out there where you will spend a fraction of the cash you will need to spend here to get by at higher levels. Do yourself a favor and don't waste your time with this game. Yes it is a great F2P mmo, but its not great enough to be worth you spending much more than you would on a standard P2P.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    I frankly got bored leveling the dual classes at the same time.  the quests are generic and boring as well.  My understanding was that end game was  P2W for PVP and PVE so I just said "why bother?".
  • SwankdSwankd Member UncommonPosts: 243

Originally posted by Montana_Mike

That is a lie.  No Endgame Player exist who haven't used the cash shop at all.  In fact, ALL Endgame Players have EXCESSIVELY used the cash shop.

I assume you me ToSH capable when you say Endgame Players, and not just someone who has managed to quest through half the zones.

Show me ANY Endgame Players without +16 weapons.  Show me ANY Endgame Players without clean stat'ed tier 7 armor.  Show me ANY Endgame Players without tier 8 (or higher) weapon runes, and tier 10 general purpose runes.  etc  You can't.  Even if they spent $0 of their own money, they STILL spent thousands of $$$$ of someone else's money.  Either way, all Endgame Players have used the cash shop, A LOT.

You dont HAVE to pay real money and buy items from the cash shop. There are many many lower lvls out there that are selling their dias for loads of money and are making bank off of it. You constantly see all the higher lvls world shouting that they "WTB Dias, pm me please". There are PLENTY of endgamers out there that never spend a dime on the game, but instead play it the way its meant to be played, make a bank load of gold, and buy dias off of sellers.

• Montana_MikeMontana_Mike Member Posts: 20

Originally posted by BethelsBoy

You dont HAVE to pay real money and buy items from the cash shop. There are many many lower lvls out there that are selling their dias for loads of money and are making bank off of it. You constantly see all the higher lvls world shouting that they "WTB Dias, pm me please". There are PLENTY of endgamers out there that never spend a dime on the game, but instead play it the way its meant to be played, make a bank load of gold, and buy dias off of sellers.

Which confirms my point, that no endgamer can exist without EXTENSIVE use of the Cash Shop.  If the endgames don't pony up their own thousands of dollars, then the endgames have to exchange gold and hope that enough new players continue to join the game and are willing to spend several thousands of dollars, some on themselves, and more thousands of dollars to bankroll the Cash Shops activity of each engamer that refuses to pay money themselves.

Still the most expensive "Free-to-Play" game out there.  It is actually "Pay-to-Win" since the Cash Shop litterally sells power.  With the Cash Shop structured to sell power to those willing to spend thousands of dollars (either theirs or someone elses), any hope to balance the classes is gone.

• RevofireRevofire Member UncommonPosts: 269

Which confirms my point, that no endgamer can exist without EXTENSIVE use of the Cash Shop.  If the endgames don't pony up their own thousands of dollars, then the endgames have to exchange gold and hope that enough new players continue to join the game and are willing to spend several thousands of dollars, some on themselves, and more thousands of dollars to bankroll the Cash Shops activity of each engamer that refuses to pay money themselves.

Still the most expensive "Free-to-Play" game out there.  It is actually "Pay-to-Win" since the Cash Shop litterally sells power.  With the Cash Shop structured to sell power to those willing to spend thousands of dollars (either theirs or someone elses), any hope to balance the classes is gone.

It is true, I am a veteran player.

Change your thoughts and you change your world. - Norman Vincent Peale

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Anyone who tells you they are at competetive endgame an fully tiered gear, without spending a dime, then they are talking out of their anal cavity

• teethteeth Member Posts: 67
    Originally posted by assault3hro

It is true, I am a veteran player.

I can also vouch for everything these guys say...it's all true. The OP had asked for ratings on various aspects of the game (rate it as a whole game from 0 to 10 in terms of music, gameplay, PvP, graphics, replay value, storyline, content and character customization?). Okay, my own rating for RoM:

Gameplay: 6 Would have given this a higher rating 2-3 years ago, but there are better gameplay systems out there, now.

Music: 9 Especially earlier on, the music is quite beautiful. Go out into the wilderness outside Varanas at night and you'll see (hear) what I mean.

PvP: 3 The PvP is basically, whoever has the best gear and best stats wins. ^These guys^ aren't lying about RoM being p2w, because that's ALL it is. There's a guild vs. guild event that takes place once per night called Siege War (the schedule could be a lot different now, idk, I haven't played in a long time). Siege War can be fun if you get matched up against a similarly-powered guild, but there will be times that you'll get steamrolled within the 1st 15 minutes because your opponents bought their way to the top. In the end, it has nothing to do with skill, whatsoever...just who has the best gear.

Graphics: 8 Even though the graphics are a bit dated, they're still kind of charming and well presented. Most things have a "semi-cartoonish" look them...not quite cartoony like WoW, but not fully realistic either. Animations are very well done too.

Replay Value: 2 I give it such a low score because the game is a grind-fest. I got so tired of daily quests and running instances over and over and OVER again, it all becomes a chore. I didn't pay to win, so I had to outgrind everyone and their brother to get ahead.

Storyline: 5 I found it to be mediocre, at best, but it is followable most of the time, until you get into the newer zones that are part of different chapters.

Content: 5 If you shell out thousands of dollars to be able to access all of the content, I've heard the end game can be gotten to within a month's time, easily. If you play for free, it's doubtful you'll ever be able to set foot in the major instances without being 1-shotted by the "lowliest" mob. Overworld mobs are not super-difficult to handle, but if you could easily kill a lvl 60 elite mob on the surface, a level 55 elite instance mob will probably own you. Hall of Survivors, I'm looking at you.

Character Customization: 5 It's about average. I've seen way better and I've seen way worse. It's decent enough, though.

Again, you can grind your life away to auction things off for gold and use your gold to buy CS items from paying players. I've done this and never had a problem, but I did constantly hear about people getting scammed (buyers AND sellers). It's a risky business. In the end, I say try it if you just can't find anything else, better, but I'd keep looking if I were you.

• RykimaruhRykimaruh Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Originally posted by Raisen223

That sounds pretty good, but I'm not that new to MMORGPs either, so I'd probably find it awful just as you did as well. So any other similar games aren't as cash shop dependant? 

Try Allods Online, pretty much the same thing with faction and all.