Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SW:TOR a flop? By who's standards...

124»

Comments

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

Games made by EA are meant to make money and SWTOR anit doing that.  So flop.

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Those of you dying it ha 1.7 million subscribers Dec 31st are simply wrong.

That is not true and you know it, but you come ere to spread the same misinformation.

The 1.7 million subscribers was confirmed MANY times to be current as of Feb 1st. On Dec 31st it was over two million.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by dubyahite

That is not true and you know it, but you come ere to spread the same misinformation.

The 1.7 million subscribers was confirmed MANY times to be current as of Feb 1st. On Dec 31st it was over two million.

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ERTS/1736033339x0x540332/dab48832-e802-4c78-9fe8-91a3bd6180a2/ERTS_Q3FY12_Transcript.pdf

Here is the official EA transcript of their Earnings call for Q3 which ended on 31st Dec 11, the presentation was held on Feb 1st 2012. It clearly states a little over 1.7m subscribers.

I guess that makes me misinforminated.
  • hh33hh33 Member Posts: 55

Originally I said the game was unfinished after I threw in the towel 45 days after launch. Now I will just simply call the entire project and EA/Bioware an embarrassment because that is exactly what it is.

• goldiewilsongoldiewilson Member Posts: 90

A 300 million dollar game, which by the way that is after they bought out Bioware and merged them with Mythic that, that has about the same number of active players as Runescape ( currently) and less subs than AION by about a million. 

http://www.mmodata.net/

AION costs18 million dollars to make has twice over the subs TOR has and will ever have for that matter, and is considered a moderate success with problems that need to be addressed. TOR is well over 300 million to make, less game features than AION, easily a generation behind AION in mechanics, not half the graphics or character customization of AION. Now AION has problems and is a bit too manga Emo for me, but it is far and away a better pvp and pve game than tor. It also caters to a PvEvP niche so it can at least offer somthing WOW doesn't. 

So if AION at 18 million development dollars and 2.5 million subs is a MEH game at best, then 300 million with what is probably less than 1.5 subs right now, is pathetic. The game has no lasting power other than a few devoted die hard Star Wars fans who probably play Lego Star Wars on Xbox every day. Or the occasional Bioware fanatic. 

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by RefMinor

Originally posted by Wolvards

Originally posted by asianbboy101

swtor is what you call a diamond in a rough. If bioware can polish the game, fix bugs,add good content and so forth, its going to be successful. 

it's not like wow was extermeely polished when its game was released and it didn't have 5+ million subs in the beginning. 

Isn't a diamond in a rough a lump of coal

What game do you like? lol

I am currently Beta testing an iOS version of Traveller, the PnP space game, I play another Sci Fi MMO that I don't talk about here, I will also be beta testing a rebooted version of Outer Empires another iOS MMO in a couple of weeks, I have played Perpetuum, glitch, EvE, Uncharted Waters and even ran the Mortal Online trial for a couple of weeks over the last year. I have gained enjoyment from them all in different ways, even tried SWTOR but that was the weakest if them all. Feel free to tell me how crap any and all of the games I have played are as I try things out and make my own mind up.

Traveller MMORPG would be great.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by waynejr2

Originally posted by Wolvards

Originally posted by asianbboy101

swtor is what you call a diamond in a rough. If bioware can polish the game, fix bugs,add good content and so forth, its going to be successful. 
    it's not like wow was extermeely polished when its game was released and it didn't have 5+ million subs in the beginning. 

Isn't a diamond in a rough a lump of coal

What game do you like? lol

I am currently Beta testing an iOS version of Traveller, the PnP space game, I play another Sci Fi MMO that I don't talk about here, I will also be beta testing a rebooted version of Outer Empires another iOS MMO in a couple of weeks, I have played Perpetuum, glitch, EvE, Uncharted Waters and even ran the Mortal Online trial for a couple of weeks over the last year. I have gained enjoyment from them all in different ways, even tried SWTOR but that was the weakest if them all. Feel free to tell me how crap any and all of the games I have played are as I try things out and make my own mind up.

Traveller MMORPG would be great.

It's an open beta, 99c on iOS vs 5.99$ on full release, it's not a finished product but you can see the potential there.
  • Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by goldiewilson

A 300 million dollar game, which by the way that is after they bought out Bioware and merged them with Mythic that, that has about the same number of active players as Runescape ( currently) and less subs than AION by about a million. 

http://www.mmodata.net/

AION costs18 million dollars to make has twice over the subs TOR has and will ever have for that matter, and is considered a moderate success with problems that need to be addressed. TOR is well over 300 million to make, less game features than AION, easily a generation behind AION in mechanics, not half the graphics or character customization of AION. Now AION has problems and is a bit too manga Emo for me, but it is far and away a better pvp and pve game than tor. It also caters to a PvEvP niche so it can at least offer somthing WOW doesn't. 

So if AION at 18 million development dollars and 2.5 million subs is a MEH game at best, then 300 million with what is probably less than 1.5 subs right now, is pathetic. The game has no lasting power other than a few devoted die hard Star Wars fans who probably play Lego Star Wars on Xbox every day. Or the occasional Bioware fanatic. 

Jesus, you people are hard-headed.  The 300 million dollar figure has been debunked COUNTLESS  fucking times.  So stop with that nonsense.  And are you honestly comparing Aion's subs to TOR's, when Aion gets most of their subs from a country that Bioware doesn't even provide their game to?  And, btw, don't people in Korea pay by the minute, instead of a monthly sub?  Lets compare apples to apples here.  Aion just went F2P in the West.  For a reason.  

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ERTS/1736033339x0x540332/dab48832-e802-4c78-9fe8-91a3bd6180a2/ERTS_Q3FY12_Transcript.pdf

Here is the official EA transcript of their Earnings call for Q3 which ended on 31st Dec 11, the presentation was held on Feb 1st 2012. It clearly states a little over 1.7m subscribers.

Well, when you use old data, you ARE misinformed.  Here:

http://mmodata.blogspot.com/

As of March, TOR was beyond the free month for most of their accounts, and retained the "vast majority" of those accounts.  How much that is exactly is anyone's guess.  But the game is holding strong, despite misinformation by the GW2 crew.

• KinchyleKinchyle Member Posts: 309

Yeah...I can tell that most of this site's member can't read. SWTOR is no more a failure than WoW was back when.

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

Well, when you use old data, you ARE misinformed.  Here:

http://mmodata.blogspot.com/

As of March, TOR was beyond the free month for most of their accounts, and retained the "vast majority" of those accounts.  How much that is exactly is anyone's guess.  But the game is holding strong, despite misinformation by the GW2 crew.

Actually they only clarified that the "vast majority" of the 1.7m they had at 31st Dec went on past the free month. So all we know is 1.3 to 1.69m people were subbed upto ~20th Feb 12. EA have made no other statement.
  • mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Failure is not for you to define, bit to those that actually have financial ineterest.

They  clearly said what is success for them:

1+ MILLION STEADY SUBS OVER 1 YEAR

To picture it to you more clearly:

If i invest certain amount  of money and expect 200 units of money in return, 200+ would be success.

If i only get 100 out of it it is a failure.

Result =/= success, even if its positive one.

By lots of posts here, Vanguard is huge success just because its still running and probably earning some money.

Though its obvious its, well, epic fail.

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

Yes!

After all my time of being here, I have finally started an epic post! :P

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

The only "epic" failures I can recall were APB and FFXIV.  I don't think SWTOR is going to live up to many expectations, but it's in no danger of shutting down it's servers.  It's long-term success will be shown to be a modest one, but still a success.  And that's despite BWEA's incompetence and poor judgment.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MehveMehve Member Posts: 487

I take the view that, for the money invested, and the IP it was built upon, it flopped. Considering other recent failures, it should have been child's play for trained analysts in a long-established company to red flag issues and strongly warn that the game's release state would be shooting the game's potential in the knees. Considering what else people can be convinced to buy with the SW name on it, an opportunity to actually interact within the IP's universe should have been a license to print money.

At this point in time, we SHOULD be debating stuff like how many months are left before all the initial costs are covered. Or whether the toilet seats in BWEA-land will be plated in platinum, or merely gold. Mind, similar can be said about STO. The fans of these IP do insane stuff. Getting them to pony up $15/month for a good period of time should be dead easy.

A Modest Proposal for MMORPGs:
    That the means of progression would not be mutually exclusive from the means of enjoyment.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

Mine

Hah, the most brutally honest answer is often the closest thing to the truth. Who cares about money, subscribers, statistics, etc... if someone doesn't like a game that's really all that matters to them in the long run.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.