Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fail Support

I went to purchase the lifetime sub to TSW, and my CC got declined.  I contacted the live support, and they recommended I try updating my CC information.  I tried that and kept getting an error.  They failed to give me a resolution and ultimately said "wait 24 hours and try again" as if that would change anything.

I called my CC company and they said they declined my payment but I could authorize it, so I did, but TSW still showed as declined.

So this time I sent a ticket since I learned live support was useless.  I titled my ticket "Failed Payment" but explain that I called my CC company and resolved the situation, but wondered why it still said failed on my TSW account info.

A day and a half later I receive a response saying my payment was declined and I need to contact my CC company.  WTF DID THAT, DID THEY EVEN READ MY TICKET?  Obviously not.

So I call my CC company again, and they explain I just need to attempt the purchase again.  So I do, it it works.

Conclusion: My CC company knows more about Funcoms systems than they do.

I actually regret giving them any money at all, but I really like the game, just not their fail support.  I wish I could write my check to Ragnor himself :(

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

Well, you should have just tried the payment again, seeing as it was declined when it originally was tried, and that isn't funcoms fault. I understand the reaction to their response, most MMORPG companies do that though. My least favorite being anakma put me in a similar situation, but I didn't want to pay and even though I cancelled my sub it still payed. Took them 5 days to respond and they told me to cancel it, which I blatantly said when I sent it to them. All in all, I guess you have every right to be upset but I feel like most MMORPG companies tend to have auto responses or just overall bad email support.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

its beta!!!!!

jk

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

you bought a life time sub to a game that isnt even out yet @_@"; thats ballzy as its funcom.. not many hold them in good standing. 

as for their support.. thats a pretty generic responce to account issues like that. 

did you get it fixed? or is it still declined? might be an issue with their payment/account DbS :/

i too am interested in this game. but im far to iffy on paying for any game preorder anymore ><"

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

Large or unusual single transactions will flag your CC.  They put a temporary hold on your card and decline the charge automatically.  It's frustrating, but credit fraud is no joke.  Once your CC lifted the hold, you were suppposed to purchase the lifetime with your card again.  Declined CC charges will never update to the vendor as approved.  The only way is to use the card again to purchase once you clear the hold from the CC company.  

This is a common practice to protect you and the vendor has no control on it either way.

Funcom should of communicated that to you (as well your credit card company), so that definitely could of been handled better by them.

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

Originally posted by jdnyc

Large or unusual single transactions will flag your CC.  They put a temporary hold on your card and decline the charge automatically.  It's frustrating, but credit fraud is no joke.  Once your CC lifted the hold, you were suppposed to purchase the lifetime with your card again.  Declined CC charges will never update to the vendor as approved.  The only way is to use the card again to purchase once you clear the hold from the CC company.  

This is a common practice to protect you and the vendor has no control on it either way.

Funcom should of communicated that to you (as well your credit card company), so that definitely could of been handled better by them.

Yep they did this when I bought a year sub to Age of Conan. I didn't speak to Funcom, I just had to verify with my CC and had to wait a day or two before submitting again. I was worried that it was going to purchase two years because of resubmitting, but it worked out.

I imagine it will do the same with my TSW purchase.

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• KeyhKeyh Member Posts: 140

Originally posted by nikki9786

That should read "My CC company knows more about my CC company's systems than Funcom does.

Your CC company declined the charge. Funcom suggested double checking your CC information to ensure it's correct and then said to wait 24 hours (a lot of CC companies have a softcap on daily transaction amounts, anything higher will 'flag' that) and try again.

You called your CC company (as you should have done first) and they said you could authorize the charge. You 'authorized' it, which doesn't change the status of previous charges, those are still declined. Authorizing it simply means that the next one will go through.

Funcom told you to contact your CC company about the declined charge, because Funcom can't do anything about declined charges. You CC company said to try the purchase again (as they should've told you to do whenever you 'authorized' it) and it worked.

The conclusion is that YOU don't know how credit card transactions work, and the CC company and Funcom told you exactly what you needed to do.

• JohnnyMotrinJohnnyMotrin Member UncommonPosts: 439

Originally posted by Keyh

That should read "My CC company knows more about my CC company's systems than Funcom does.

Your CC company declined the charge. Funcom suggested double checking your CC information to ensure it's correct and then said to wait 24 hours (a lot of CC companies have a softcap on daily transaction amounts, anything higher will 'flag' that) and try again.

You called your CC company (as you should have done first) and they said you could authorize the charge. You 'authorized' it, which doesn't change the status of previous charges, those are still declined. Authorizing it simply means that the next one will go through.

Funcom told you to contact your CC company about the declined charge, because Funcom can't do anything about declined charges. You CC company said to try the purchase again (as they should've told you to do whenever you 'authorized' it) and it worked.

The conclusion is that YOU don't know how credit card transactions work, and the CC company and Funcom told you exactly what you needed to do.

That's exactly what I was going to say.  Funcom didn't decline the purchase, your CC company did!  In general, vendors don't accept or decline cc charges, the cc company do.  It does sound like they were protecting themselves against potential fraud, but if you have any beef with how things were handled, it should be with your cc not funcom.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

You are just full of bad judgement calls aren't you

First you blame Funcom for your CC company blocking you

Then you buy a lifetime subscription from a company that has never made a product that didn't end on its ass

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

It flags because of the system that the transaction is processed through in Europe.

I had the same issue and the same problem but mine was resolved with 2 online chats.

During the second (after I called my CC and authorized the transaction) the tech told me to 'add a new payment option' ( I forget what the actual link was but it should be there on the page asking you to finalize/confirm a transaction').

He told me to add the same card but give it a new name and then it went through fine.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Clearly you dont understand how credit card authorisation works.

The initial payment you made was declined by your credit card company, probably because it fell outside of your normal spending patterns, or because it was for a fairly large amount to an internet company in a different country, or one of the many other ways which the credit card company protects you from fraud.

You would be seriously pissed off someone else got hold of your card and started making payments like this and they just let them through. 

That payment is declined. You cant undecline a payment. You have to put the payment through again. Your credit card company will have removed the marker on your account as you have verified that it is you making the payment and it is valid.

So......put the payment through again. You wont end up being charged twice or anything. The first payment has been declined. No further changes can be made to that transaction whatsoever, but new payments to the same company will go through fine.

(Source - used to work for Royal Bank of Scotland, and for VISA)

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

Seems appropriate :/

• StyleGamingStyleGaming Member Posts: 43

lol

- http://www.youtube.com/user/myfreestylegaming

AC>EQ>War>EVE>AoC>Aion>SWTOR>FireFall>Tera/GW2

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

I went to purchase the lifetime sub to TSW, and my CC got declined.  I contacted the live support, and they recommended I try updating my CC information.  I tried that and kept getting an error.  They failed to give me a resolution and ultimately said "wait 24 hours and try again" as if that would change anything.

I called my CC company and they said they declined my payment but I could authorize it, so I did, but TSW still showed as declined.

So this time I sent a ticket since I learned live support was useless.  I titled my ticket "Failed Payment" but explain that I called my CC company and resolved the situation, but wondered why it still said failed on my TSW account info.

A day and a half later I receive a response saying my payment was declined and I need to contact my CC company.  WTF DID THAT, DID THEY EVEN READ MY TICKET?  Obviously not.

So I call my CC company again, and they explain I just need to attempt the purchase again.  So I do, it it works.

I actually regret giving them any money at all, but I really like the game, just not their fail support.  I wish I could write my check to Ragnor himself :(

I am so confused with what I highlighted in OP

• KeyhKeyh Member Posts: 140

OP believed that she was authorizing a past payment that was declined instead of authorizing the next payment that is attempted.

• ArkainArkain Member UncommonPosts: 491

Hay I understand, with all the hate FUNCOM gets, it is ease to see way your first thought was to blame them, but FUNCOM had no power in this case, and would not have been able to do anything to push it through.

I found them to be better at protecting my account then most.

I had not login to my FUNCOM account for sometime and unlike other MMO games it was locked down, and I got an email:

"You are receiving this email because an login attempt was made on your funcom account using your password.

If you have not attempted to login recently, we strongly recommend that you change your password after verifying your account with the above link.

Regards,

Funcom Customer Service"

I used the link in the email and was in.

That impressed me.

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

Believe me, I got the lifetime too. I planned to play TSW for a year. and since my calculations landed this around 200, the lifetime seemed great. If it flops after a year, oh well. If it doesn't, hell yeah.

Love the concept of TSW, hate funcom. Balances my excitement level.

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• Sigurd57Sigurd57 Member UncommonPosts: 347

Originally posted by darwa

Pretty much nails it.

Hey TSW Players http://www.unfair.co/ for Mission guides, Lore Locations and stuff....

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

Originally posted by darwa

That image is pure gold. Thanks for sharing.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

I guess by this far into the thread the OP has been told it wasn't Funcom's fault a few times, so I won't go down that road again.  I'm anxious for all you guys to start playing TSW so I can hear more about it.  I've had my eye on it for years, but with GW2 as well, so....I pre-purchased GW2 in lieu of pre-purchasing TSW so I could wait a few months on that one.  But like I said....I'm VERY excited to hear more about the game after the June release. :D

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

As a person who works for a payments processor, the processor probably DOES know more about the payment system than Funcom does (most companies are not big enough to be their own payments processor). So talking to Joe Schmoe at "Ted's Appliance Emporium" about a failed transaction won't get you far. They'll just end up calling the processor just like you end up calling the bank. The business (Funcom in this case) has no control over the banks, and neither do the processors. If a bank is denying a transaction, that's totally up to the bank, and Funcom/their processor has no power to do anything except perhaps give you the best phone number to call at your bank to get it approved/resolved.

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489

Hmm, alright.

Your upset your CC company was looking out for you and flagged a transaction to a foreign country that was a sizable amount?  You then made a support ticket to funcom over an issue they had no control over.  You then became angry that funcom didnt respond to your ticket in time or that they didnt remedy the situation?

Then complain about poor customer support here.

I typically have no sympathy for people who complain over poor customer support.  Been mmorpg'ing since 2001 and have never had to open a support ticket to any game.  Im lucky with these things, never had issues with a computer, computer part, or operating system...been running vista for the last few years never an issue.  Basically, what im getting at...99% of cust service request are user error related or out of their control anyway.

Poor customer service response time increases as the number of idiot requests are sent to them.

They sent you a ticket with that response because that was all they knew and it was painfully obvious that the issue wasnt with funcom declining to accept your payment. 

Like the guy who posted above me said...Sven over at funcom support probably know as much about CC transactions and banking as a banker does about reoccuring graphical errors and crashes with TSW.

I would also like to point out that theres probably few if any people deicated to a game that isnt even launched or in open beta yet, devoted to handling payment transactions...just my assumption i dont know how their support team works or is set up.

Also, the Op is just setting himself up for future rage if hes purchasing a lifetime sub for a game thats untested, sonsidering how upset he was over an issue not in their control...can see the future rage posts when funcom staff doesnt show up at his door to fix his internet router.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Originally posted by JohnnyMotrin

Originally posted by Keyh

That's exactly what I was going to say.  Funcom didn't decline the purchase, your CC company did!  In general, vendors don't accept or decline cc charges, the cc company do.  It does sound like they were protecting themselves against potential fraud, but if you have any beef with how things were handled, it should be with your cc not funcom.

Ya I'm not sure why people don't understand some basic banking concepts.

The vendor is not going to be able to over-ride the banks decisions NO matter how many times you email support.

Here is an example of one bank... Wells Fargo to use as an example.

Funcom is not based in the United States.   In general Wells Fargo will block any/all billing attempts by any "foreign" seller.   If you try once and its declined and call the number on your card or debit account...   They will be able to authorize the purchase and you will not have to aurthorize that paticular vendor again.   Altho with Funcom I do believe if you try to subscribe to one of their other games you have to go through verification again for that game.

The OP calls up and does an authorization... the problem is they attempted to do the purchase multiple times.   So of course it failed after they called the bank the first time...   When they stopped spamming the purchase and let the bank do their thing it went through... amazing as it may seem.

Now using Wells Fargo again as an example... if you spam the thing like that.. they will block ALL purchases on that card until you call them.   Depending on your bank the fraud prevention departments are very pro-active.   Which is what happens when customers carry 0 fraud liability... the bank didn't want a lifetime subscription to TSW *.*