Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Like One Weapon? Too Bad

Comments

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Originally posted by Spaceweed10

Originally posted by nikki9786

Guild Wars 2 skill system is extremely simple.  You get 5 attack skills depending on what weapon you equip.  5 skills sound lame?  Yes it does.  Don't like it?  Swap weapons and get 5 different ones.

Personally, I like to play a warrior with duel swords. I hate clubs and 2he swords and axes, etc. You can do this in GW2, but if I do, I will be stuck with the same 5 skills the whole game.

This is innovation? 

The game appears to be just another dumbed down, over-hyped MMO.  Nothing really to see here.

Thank you for your contribution to the one thread I've seen regarding GW2 where there is actually something of a discussion happing. Bravo.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616

Originally posted by evilastro

Aion had the same system, and they had more than 5 skills too.  That's not an excuse.

GW1 had only 8 skills total, and it had one of the most in depth combat systems in a MMO. More skills does not make combat more interesting, in fact it usually just waters combat down into super-macro snorefests like Rift, WoW or EQ2.

This ofc is your opinion and not true for me.EQ2 combat was awesome and I never used  macros.Knowing when to use your 40+ abilities and which to chain together and when was important and for me fun not boring as you imply.I do agree that WoW and Rift are as you put it at least for me snorefests because they are  inferior games in every way towards EQ2.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Originally posted by k-damage

Originally posted by k-damage

Hehehe :p I'm so glad this game will keep gear centric people away ^^

again with this......

I wish I had a list of all the kinds of people this has been said about.

If we compiled that list, I wonder how many GW2 fans would actually fit in it somewhere.

Note that I only mentionned gear centric people, as they will be the most unfitting ones to the game.

It's a reality, actually people who consider gear look/stat as an essential part of MMOs will clearly flee that game like the plague.

My point, and what no one seems to be considering, is the overlap.

You are going to find many "gear centric" players who will log in to GW2 and find the game a refreshing relief that they are no longer encumbered with the gear obsession, meanwhile you will have others who are anxiously awaiting GW2 because they despised the "gear grind" and want GW2 to rescue them from that embeded mechanic only to find themselves going out of their mind because there is nothing to work for.

Shouldn't you be trying to figure out how you're going to hide from me in WvW?

GW2, as you know, does not offer a traditional gear grind for "moar epix." But it does have achievements, and dungeons that you will never "outlevel" with both story mode and explorer mode. I believe in explorer mode that dungeons can have different pathways, different bosses, and different random encounters, though I'm not sure how many combinations there are. You have skill points challenges over the entire map and "hundreds" (according to ANet) of explorable, discoverable areas not shown on the map. You can grind for specific cosmic gear to make your character look a cetain way. Each character has a personal story with multiple branching arcs. Come on, you know all this stuff. It will NOT be the same thing you get in looking for raid, but then again, how long did that remain interesting for the casuals when it was implemented. I do think all of this CAN have appeal for both the non-gear-treadmill people as well as those that want to pimp out their toon, albeit in a different way than they're used to.

See you in WvW!

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

I also used to think swords and bows were cool... back when I was 15. :) Seriously, if the necessity to swap weapons will be the main problem of the game, GW2 will be a stunning success.

And 5 abilities per weapon is enough. I played Rift. There you get ~25 abilities in your average build. Then you macro most of them to 2 buttons. Quantity != quality. Percieved complexity != actual depth.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• RameiArashiRameiArashi Member UncommonPosts: 294
    I didn't read all 19 pages so I don't know if this was already covered. About half way through the discussion somebody mentioned warriors and rangers could use swords and bows but didn't know what other professions could.

Sword:
    Guardian (main only)
    Warrior (both hands)
    Ranger (main only)
    Thief (main only)
    Mesmer (both hands)

Greatsword (two handed):
    Guardian
    Warrior
    Ranger
    Mesmer (long range spell casting)

Short Bow (two handed):
    Ranger
    Thief

Long Bow (two handed):
    Warrior
    Ranger

• stramastrama Member Posts: 14

I read only the first few pages so I dont know how the rest of the discussion turned out but here's a song for the OP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnLAt1K-W7s

Now, I admire people who stick to their guns... moreso when they succeed with it. However, it is certainly not the way to survive... If a person(or group)  fails in any endevour, he/she/they MUST change strategy, after all, "We can't continue doing the same things and expect different results"...

hmmm.. funny... I am reminded of the quote commonly attributed to Darwin. "It is not the strongest of the species who survives, nor the most intelligent but the one most responsive to change". 

I've probably gone off tangent here but there are my thoughts.

• mainvein33mainvein33 Member Posts: 406

This game has many of the qualities of an action mmo and the thing you eventaully learn is being flexible will simply make you a better player. Now play whatever way makes you happiest but still be aware that if the game is going to reward you for switching weapons might as well learn to switch weapons on the fly.

• BoognisheBoognishe Member Posts: 83

TOO BAD

• MavacarMavacar Member Posts: 328

When I had to bind shift, ctr and alt keys together with q,e,r,t,f,g,z,x,c,v last time I played a mmo I just lost it. I couldn't for the life of me controle that many keys without having certain rotations.

• EduardoASGEduardoASG Member Posts: 832

Well.. in this point, Gw2 team went in the right direction in my opinion.

In real life, when you have a weapon, you can do a limited use of things with it that you cannot with another weapon.

Examples?

Lets say you have a longsword. You can slash.. but stabbing for instance doesnt work well with it..

If you want stab then pick up a florin or a Rapier etc.

Now imagine a dagger.. cleaving with a dagger is possible but due to the shortness of the blade.. not really ideal.

On the other hand, cleaving with the previous mentioned longsword does already make sense.

And so on.. not even talking between the obvioous diferences of bludgegoing weapons like an hammer or maul compared to slashing one etc etc..

Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR
  • RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Thread ended after the word traits. Take care guys.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• LuxthorLuxthor Member Posts: 171

Originally posted by strama

I read only the first few pages so I dont know how the rest of the discussion turned out but here's a song for the OP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnLAt1K-W7s

Now, I admire people who stick to their guns... moreso when they succeed with it. However, it is certainly not the way to survive... If a person(or group)  fails in any endevour, he/she/they MUST change strategy, after all, "We can't continue doing the same things and expect different results"...

hmmm.. funny... I am reminded of the quote commonly attributed to Darwin. "It is not the strongest of the species who survives, nor the most intelligent but the one most responsive to change". 

I've probably gone off tangent here but there are my thoughts.

Papa Roach, Darvin, Survival of the fittest, gods and universe FFS... ;) OP just complained for absence of weapon specialization and concerned about forced weapon swap, cmon now, don't act like swarm of blood thirsty funboyant ghouls.

---
    "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."

• LuxthorLuxthor Member Posts: 171

Originally posted by RizelStar

Thread ended after the word traits. Take care guys.

Thought the same... ;)

---
    "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

I love how people forget the other half of the skill bar.. >.>

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by wowfan1996

I also used to think swords and bows were cool... back when I was 15. :) Seriously, if the necessity to swap weapons will be the main problem of the game, GW2 will be a stunning success.

And 5 abilities per weapon is enough. I played Rift. There you get ~25 abilities in your average build. Then you macro most of them to 2 buttons. Quantity != quality. Percieved complexity != actual depth.

Yeah. I did that all the time in Rift, just because I could and found the amount of skills they offered to be needless. Press 1 to tank. image

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Originally posted by natuxatu

they can't even graps the subtle complexity of the first half.

• Scripture1Scripture1 Member UncommonPosts: 421

Guild Wars 2 skill system is extremely simple.  You get 5 attack skills depending on what weapon you equip.  5 skills sound lame?  Yes it does.  Don't like it?  Swap weapons and get 5 different ones.

Personally, I like to play a warrior with duel swords. I hate clubs and 2he swords and axes, etc. You can do this in GW2, but if I do, I will be stuck with the same 5 skills the whole game.

This is innovation? 

I don't get what you're expecting really. If I equip a gun I can shoot and use all the skills pertaining to the weapon, likewise a dagger, sword etc...

Is it your statement about being stuck with those same skills the whole game? If so, how do you know that's the case? Also, I don't see much of a difference of what we've been seeing. Take WoW for example; if my rogue equips a dagger I get access to certain skills I wouldn't normally have access to if I weilded dual swords and depending upon how I spec I could change what skills I had access to. That being said, if their giving me low level access to elite type skills but only with damage out put scaled to my level then so what? This only helps people that arent as good at these games learn faster tbh.

Also, the battles we will encounter in GW2 will not be like other mmorpg's, the dynamics of the fights have been altered so you won't be depending on several skills and button mashing, you'll have to really have player skills and not be lazy.

Finally, expecting new skills when equiping different weapons throughout different experienced levels of the game is the old way of doing things; for example, level5 new skill, level 10 new skill, level 15 new skill etc... Thats not the way GW2 is designed.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by Bunks

Even still, doesn't this contribute towards the homogenization between classes? Or does GW2 support different abilities for the same weapons between classes?

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Even still, doesn't this contribute towards the homogenization between classes? Or does GW2 support different abilities for the same weapons between classes?

Do you not even know that answer? IF not you shouldn't even be discussing the topic till you do.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Do you not even know that answer? IF not you shouldn't even be discussing the topic till you do.

Thanks, Appreciate the answer.

It's always great when someone doesn't want to go spreading misinformation and tries to get the right info by asking the right questions.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Like 1 weapon

Play an elementalist or engineer

Simples
  • DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

It's always great when someone doesn't want to go spreading misinformation and tries to get the right info by asking the right questions.

He said that because it is pretty basic information. If you have spent any time at all looking into the game then you would know. But in the spirit of a good patient community I'll provide the answer. Yes, the same weapon on different professions has different abilities.

Skills associated with each weapon do change depending on the profession... :)

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

Originally posted by DJJazzy

He said that because it is pretty basic information. If you have spent any time at all looking into the game then you would know. But in the spirit of a good patient community I'll provide the answer. Yes, the same weapon on different professions has different abilities.

Here's a video that does a good job of briefly explaining how weapon swapping works. He claims there are 342 different weapon combos just for the Warrior profession. Keep in mind the video is 4 months old:

This explains even more:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJi39Eau9kg

There is tons of information about this game if you are willing to take the time to go look for it.

As to the topic, isn't that how the overwhelming majority of MMO/RPGs work? Your skills are limited by your class and then weapon choice. You can't melee with a bow. You can't range with a dagger. You can't backstab with a polearm.

Did anyone ever play Diablo? You couldn't even pick your sex yet that was a great game. What's the problem here?

Originally posted by DJJazzy

Indeed. And to furhter explain.. a Warrior can equip an axe and he will be in melee doing good damage ect with his 5 weapon skills (he has 5 other slots for profession/race related skills that he can pick from to customize his skill bar furture.)

A Necormancer (A shadowy/death caster) can also equip an axe however the skilsl are totally different. In this case a Necromancer with an axe wont just be swinging his axe.. there are still spells associted with his axe so he will be attacking from at range (shorter range than if he had a staff) but still.. the skills asscociated with each weapon will effect that class.

And some classes can switch weapons in the middle of a fight thanks to a weapon swap button next to skill 1. If a Warrior switches from an axe to a sword then the first 5 skills change to reflect that.. This gives you even more variety of skilsl to work with in battle...

Hope that helps clear some things up. :) But really, check out youtube for some good videos that explain better how skils work and actually show it.

Here is the example of how skills are associted with weapons and differ by class (and what hand they are in)

One Handed Axe:

WARRIOR:

Main-hand

Off-hand

RANGER:

Main-hand

Off-hand

NECROMANCER

Main-hand

Note that 3 skills are associated with your main hand and two skills are associated with your off-hand. If you have a two-handed weapon then all 5 skills will be associated with that one weapon... but you'll see here that both the warrior and the ranger can duel weild axes.