Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to come back but..

terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

I have tried many times to get into EVE. I LOVE sci-fi and ship combat, and the game is gorgeous but...something always goes wrong.

When I first played, I tried to be a rat hunter. I started with hybrid guns because I liked the idea, but CCP nerfed them to the ground. Then I tried lasers, but they weren't working. Missiles were what everyone recommended, but the cost to product them wasn't worth the rewards from the rats. I was basically told the ONLY way to earn ISK in the game was mining. I left.

I've tried to come back a few times, but I just can't see spending 15/month for this game. But then I heard about plex. As I understand it, if I can earn somewhere from 300-500 million ISK a month, I never have to pay to play again. Been trying to get some straight answers online about all this but not having much luck. So, here's my questions.

1) Can a new player on a trial REALLY earn enough ISK in the limited time they have to buy a plex, and become self-sustaining? I imagine as you get better skills and gear you can earn more ISK, and this becomes easier as you go. But is it possible at the start? Moreover, how hard is it to do?

2) All are careers viable? I don't want to mine. I love the idea of rat hunting, and the new exploring paths seem fun..is it possible to maintain game time with just those?

3) I'm not scared of open PvP as much as I am of corps. When I played, pretty much every corp wanted you as a mining slave, or a mining guard/hauler if you had a better ship already. I want the relative safety of a corp, but I don't want to mine...are there people that will take you in?

Thanks for the answers guys, appreciate it.

Comments

• StekkyStekky Member Posts: 36

Originally posted by terrant

1) Can a new player on a trial REALLY earn enough ISK in the limited time they have to buy a plex, and become self-sustaining? I imagine as you get better skills and gear you can earn more ISK, and this becomes easier as you go. But is it possible at the start? Moreover, how hard is it to do?

I'd say yes but you need to base all your gametime on this single goal.         Your best bet is trading.   It will take market knowledge and experience but I think its perfectly achievable if you do your research.          Beyond this,   maybe a LOT of time spent ninja salvaging will earn you enough.

2) All are careers viable? I don't want to mine. I love the idea of rat hunting, and the new exploring paths seem fun..is it possible to maintain game time with just those?    

For a new player?  No.     In fact based on your prior question,  I'd rule out any thoughts on profitable PVE combat right now.         Maybe in a month or two.    

3) I'm not scared of open PvP as much as I am of corps. When I played, pretty much every corp wanted you as a mining slave, or a mining guard/hauler if you had a better ship already. I want the relative safety of a corp, but I don't want to mine...are there people that will take you in?

As in every game  there are groups will take in "anyone"  who applies.      Do you want a productive group or just someone to socialize with?       You probably won't get into any well known corp without at least a high sp character and experience.      You can easily find corps who are just looking to increase members and don't require anything more of you than just play.     I'd suggest this to you.  Hopefully you can find one with someone who at least can guide you a bit more  or at least will answer questions a bit easier than rookie chat.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

1) It is definitely possible, whether it is hard or not is relative. For a new player, I would say it is probably difficult, not so much for knowledgeable player tho.

While back, I have posted character making 1 bill within 24 hours since creation, so go figure.

2) Yes, all carriers are viable. Some have better ISK potential than others but it's mostly about HOW you do it, rather than WHAT you do.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

If you like mission running as a means of income you can easily make isk for a plex as soon as you get the hang of level 4's / are reasonably proficient with a battleships, once you get better at it, you have plenty of gametime left to do other, less repetitive things. Essentially that means paying a sub a few months first.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

I have tried many times to get into EVE. I LOVE sci-fi and ship combat, and the game is gorgeous but...something always goes wrong.

When I first played, I tried to be a rat hunter. I started with hybrid guns because I liked the idea, but CCP nerfed them to the ground. Then I tried lasers, but they weren't working. Missiles were what everyone recommended, but the cost to product them wasn't worth the rewards from the rats. I was basically told the ONLY way to earn ISK in the game was mining. I left.

Yes, maybe not the first 3-6 months for the total noob as he/she needs to understand the game first and get some skills up.

ALL ammo is viable in pve, just buy it from the money you make from missions. When you can fly a decent fitted drake and can do level 4s, you * should* be able to buy plexes. Remember, some smart thinking about market trading or even producing should give you some time off from the ratting.

I've tried to come back a few times, but I just can't see spending 15/month for this game. But then I heard about plex. As I understand it, if I can earn somewhere from 300-500 million ISK a month, I never have to pay to play again. Been trying to get some straight answers online about all this but not having much luck. So, here's my questions.

Build some t1 ships/modules, they are sold fast on the market., just dont jump into any production before doing some research. And use good researched blueprints.

A REALLY new player? I would say NO.

Expect to pay a few months till you get your knowledge up, get some money and skills.Most new players are self sustaining after month 4 or so.

one word: YES.

Industrial corps should take you in. where they get benefit from you in taxes as you rat. There are also a LOT of 0.0 pet/renter corps taking new players in, but then you get the profit from 0.0 rat payouts, but ofc also the enemies able to shoot you so you need to learn to survive in 0.0.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• Stealthman06Stealthman06 Member UncommonPosts: 35

It is possible to earn 500 mil for a plex as a new char however as you just started you need to invest the only thing you have atm which is time to earn that much isk.

Older players who are already familiar with the game have ways of earning 500 mil without investing so much time into it.

Solo without help you will not achieve anything in this game, probably get bored and quit before your 14 days of trial are over.

I recommend you to lookup EVE University (http://www.eveuniversity.org/). It's a training corp for Eve, you will get help, ships eve isk there but the most important thing you will get knowledge of the game which you then later can use to earn your own ISK fast and conquer new eden if you wish to do so.

Never forget that the game is a sandbox, it's what you do out of it, if people have told you that only mining is the way before, prove them wrong by buying a cheap ship invest some training and blow them up. :)

Have fun.

MMORPG Forums: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

• JavafanJavafan Member UncommonPosts: 45

Doable, but hard (read as neigh impossible) with almost none prior gaming experience.

Best bet is if you have a friend  that does level 4 missions and lets you tag along to loot everything and salvage all the wrecks. Or go as ninja salvager though that niche is quite crowded near more populated systems.

But the big question will be: would you want EVE to become a second job until you get more proficient at the game? As in, spend all you time scrounging for the measely ISK to buy your plex instead of enjoying the game?

Unless you can comit 6 months without buying PLEXes, I doubt you'll get into EVE.

Yes. Quite doable and easliy so once you ge more proficient at blowing up ships.