Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anet taking your money before cash shop is done.

Comments

• MikkelBMikkelB Member Posts: 240

Originally posted by Ceridith

Originally posted by BadSpock

I just want to be able to discuss MMOs without wading through endless fanboyism and moaning about games that failed to live up to people's over-inflated expectations.

And many of us want to be able to discuss MMOs without wading through endless haterism and moaning about games that other people are excited about while being told how stupid we are for enjoying something different.

Who's telling you that you're stupid for enjoying something different?

The only thing I see in this thread is the implication that pre-purchasing a game that is still under NDA and yet to be finalized, as being a very foolish thing to do.

The true irony of your statement is that a lot of the things being labeled as hatred, are nothing more than legitimate concerns or criticism by people actually trying to discuss the game.

I agree, the hate posts are annoying, but the best solution is to read the OP and if it's obvious that it's a troll post, just ignore it.Too bad that there are always fanatics that keep on going and going. But like Ceridith said, a lot of posts/threads get the "hate" stamp, while the poster/OP tries to bring up his/her concern or criticism with the game. Which should be possible and encouraged. Only hate is annoying, but the same goes for only praise. No game is perfect.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    This is how you know education doesn't help many even if they went through highschool and college. I mean I assume some don't teach commons sense and the difference between believing in the false shit that falls out your mouth and skepticism, I mean is either that or a personal issue with ANET.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

Originally posted by oubers

To all those saying..."i do with my money what i want".....plz dont come crying next month on how this game is P2Win ok.

The first one to come crying will be the pvp crowd for not being able to afford better gear......so get ready to be slayed by the rich kid on the block.

lolzor

Since there really is no "better gear" I don't think anyone is going to be crying about that...

We will see about that when the game goes live and the shops open spock.

Items with stats will be be in the shops soon enough.....then maybe we can talk again?

As for me, i mad my decision not to buy it.......i realy hate in game shops.

Dont get me wrong, i dont hate GW2 but i (personally) feel a bit f**** by them (first there was not going to be any shop....then only cosmetics......now its just about anything).

It does not have to fail for me......i hope that you shop lovers (i mean this in a nice way) realy enjoy the game tough....but i will be playing other games.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

To all those saying..."i do with my money what i want".....plz dont come crying next month on how this game is P2Win ok.

The first one to come crying will be the pvp crowd for not being able to afford better gear......so get ready to be slayed by the rich kid on the block.

Since there really is no "better gear" I don't think anyone is going to be crying about that...

Items with stats will be be in the shops soon enough.....then maybe we can talk again?

Dont get me wrong, i dont hate GW2 but i (personally) feel a bit f**** by them (first there was not going to be any shop....then only cosmetics......now its just about anything).

It does not have to fail for me......i hope that you shop lovers (i mean this in a nice way) realy enjoy the game tough....but i will be playing other games.

This isn't World of Warcraft. Stats/gear work differently.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

Originally posted by st4t1ck

I just want to be able to discuss MMOs without wading through endless fanboyism and moaning about games that failed to live up to people's over-inflated expectations.

And many of us want to be able to discuss MMOs without wading through endless haterism and moaning about games that other people are excited about while being told how stupid we are for enjoying something different.

The only thing I see in this thread is the implication that pre-purchasing a game that is still under NDA and yet to be finalized, as being a very foolish thing to do.

The true irony of your statement is that a lot of the things being labeled as hatred, are nothing more than legitimate concerns or criticism by people actually trying to discuss the game.

Your statement to me read as a general statement about the nature of these forums, not specific to this thread.

My response was the same, a general statement about the nature of these forums, not specific to this thread.

Specific to this thread, it is only a foolish thing to do if you don't have faith/belief/justification for why you feel confident in pre-purchasing a game that is still under NDA and yet to be finalized.

In a larger sense, yes it is ALWAYS foolish to pre-order/purchase anything site unseen, but this is the way MMO games have worked for a decade.

It's a roll of the dice, pre-order/purchase and get special perks but you are taking a chance the game won't live up to what you/we think it will be.

Wait and see, but then you don't get the special perks for pre-order/purchase.

MMO 101 - logical and obvious.

I dont see the difference between buying now and buying at release.  there will be more people playing it but more then likley it will be the same content that we have seen hundreds of hours on.

Difference is that there will be information available from a public beta, which will make you able to do a far more informed decision regarding the purchase of the game.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

please guys !keep everything in persepective!forget the gamer!imagine there were no gamer here in this thread(yes i know its hard just picture it!)there are no gamer yet game x receive ton pf threat hate mail etc etc etc!who gain by doing this?go ask that to politician!they suffer from this daily by the same industry!it is called the lobby industry!

their role?to put doubt in the mind !not just gaming but they mostly started in politic!but they are everywhere ,there is big money to make!
    and sadly lobbying industry in gaming will only grow since gaming grow!they might not be able to touch wow ,because the momentum effect is in full swing but they sure can try with other newer like lol or other!

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

i have been following this game for a while......so i know......still i think stats will matter no matter what they say......maybe i am wrong, maybe not.

Let's wait untill the game is out and evaluate it after the first month of pvp huh?

Like i stated b4....we will see...nothing more or less.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

Your statement to me read as a general statement about the nature of these forums, not specific to this thread.

My response was the same, a general statement about the nature of these forums, not specific to this thread.

Specific to this thread, it is only a foolish thing to do if you don't have faith/belief/justification for why you feel confident in pre-purchasing a game that is still under NDA and yet to be finalized.

In a larger sense, yes it is ALWAYS foolish to pre-order/purchase anything site unseen, but this is the way MMO games have worked for a decade.

It's a roll of the dice, pre-order/purchase and get special perks but you are taking a chance the game won't live up to what you/we think it will be.

I dont see the difference between buying now and buying at release.  there will be more people playing it but more then likley it will be the same content that we have seen hundreds of hours on.

Difference is that there will be information available from a public beta, which will make you able to do a far more informed decision regarding the purchase of the game.

except there's not going to be an open beta, so tough luck i guess. on the other hand, there will be tons of information coming out of the next beta. there wouldn't be nearly as much info if some of us didn't prepurchase, so instead of thinking of as idiots, think of us as explorers, daring to tread unseen ground so you don't have to.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Are you absolutely certain of this? How do you know that this is the case, because of how GW1 was? I'm only asking this because I have heard conflicting information.
  • st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768

There wouldnt be a public beta if no one pre-purchased. so you will get your information only from the people this thread calls "foolish".  and the info you get will be the same you got from the press betas more then likly with maybe a little more. i dont see them opening all there game for the beta at all.  need to keep some secrets

Are you absolutely certain of this? How do you know that this is the case, because of how GW1 was? I'm only asking this because I have heard conflicting information.

They have said multiple times in multiple ways that when you join the conquest (instanced) PvP you are giving a full set of gear, are boosted to max level, and have all your skills and trait points unlocked. There are no gear upgrades for PvP beyond what you get from the start.

PvE of course there are gear upgrades, but the system is "flat" at the top level - you won't be chasing the carrot of new/better gear/stats as you would in other games like World of Warcraft. The carrot you are chasing is achievements and cosmetic sets in PvE.

In instanced PvP it's more like a FPS that is tracks wins/loses etc. and there are tournaments all the time.

In the W v W PvP the carrot you are chasing is server pride/guild pride as you are trying to make a name for yourself/ your guild/ your server through victory.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

There wouldnt be a public beta if no one pre-purchased. so you will get your information only from the people this thread calls "foolish".  and the info you get will be the same you got from the press betas more then likly with maybe a little more. i dont see them opening all there game for the beta at all.  need to keep some secrets

False. There is no relationship between an open BETA and pre-purchase. On top of that, all beta weekends are void of the NDA from this point forward.

Why am I even responding to you? You are spouting insanity.

pvp never had full pvp skill so i doubt it will be different in gw2!you had a handed down max pvp armor that is it if you wanted certain elite skill you had to go discover them ,only skill avail were the one you had priorly discovered in pve or baught in the ncsoft or arenanet shop!it is a good system!it will probably be similar this time around!

regular pvp should be pretty similar to what gw1 user have been raving for years about when gw1 was at the top of its game!

wvwvw is a big ? nobody know how this will turn out to be!LAG WILL BE THE MAIN PLAYER HERE!it literally will decide the fate of wvwvw!if arenanet didnt cut corner they shouldnt have issue!if they did cut corner this could hurt a lot!cause a big chunk of new player are targetting this feature has the reason to go buy  gw2 in the first place!

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Originally posted by PieRad

If you are agaisnt P2W, then you were never their target anyway, they got your money already before the shop is done, before NDA is lifted, even before a release date, since there will be no revenue from sub, you won't be paying anymore.

After the box you have no value to them, only the cash shoppers will be of interest to Anet, and those who love cash shop won't complain when they add a even more obvious P2W scheme, right now their hiding it behind gems, that doesn't make it any less P2W.

There is a very good reason why they haven't finished the shop yet, they want your money before you know what's gonna be in the shop, because those who dislike 'advantage for money', wouldn't have bothered buying the box if they knew what was gonna be in it.

This way they get money from both sides.

Can you provide facts as to how ANet will implement this Pay to Win scheme?  Or is all of this conjecture?

Oh, and just to correct you, ANet doesn't "get" money - its GIVEN, freely I might add.

Originally posted by atticusbc

except there's not going to be an open beta, so tough luck i guess. on the other hand, there will be tons of information coming out of the next beta. there wouldn't be nearly as much info if some of us didn't prepurchase, so instead of thinking of as idiots, think of us as explorers, daring to tread unseen ground so you don't have to.

By "public beta", I refer to betas in which a significant amount of "regular" people (not media, developers, etc) are able to play the game extensively and report freely about it.  A such beta is going to happen and we will getting lots of information from there.

As for those who prepurchase: you can gain access to that beta through perpurchase or lottery. If Arenanet planned their beta perfectly, they would set an interval for how many beta-testers they need, then estimate the amount of prepurchasers and then decide how many would get access through lottery. 

If they planned it less than perfect, then the estimated amount of prepurchasers was not included as a factor for how many beta-testers would get access through lottery. If that's the case, we still don't know whether or not the prepurchasers will give any significant information that the lottery-winners wouldn't have given otherwise.

Originally posted by colddog04

False. There is no relationship between an open BETA and pre-purchase. On top of that, all beta weekends are void of the NDA from this point forward.

There is no public/open beta.

Public/Open beta means anyone can simply download the client and play for free.

GW2 is only doing closed betas... that just happen to be NDA free.

To get into the closed betas, you either have to pre-purchase or be given a key by Anet or get a key from a site like MMORPG.com that was/is given a set of keys by Arena.net.

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768

False. There is no relationship between an open BETA and pre-purchase. On top of that, all beta weekands are void of the NDA from this point forward.

What insanity, if no one pre-purchased the same small group of people, with maybe some more if anet selects more people that signed up would be in this beta. there would be no where the amount of people that are going to be in because of pre-purchased so the people that are being called foolish are the people that most of your information you seeking will come from.

I kno there is no nda on the next beta's. not being open has nothing to do with the content thats allowed to be played.  what i meant by the same info is that if they dont put more content in this beta then in the press beta you will get the same info you got from press beta but with different prespectives

open beta mean no nda  and the game is open for gamer!it doesnt mean everybody have access!this would be called open access i believe!

this is a pay to play game so if you have paid you get in if you havent paid you dont go in!

this isnt a free to play game!it is a buy once game(till further notice)

To get into the closed betas, you either have to pre-purchase or be given a key by Anet or get a key from a site like MMORPG.com that was/is given a set of keys by Arena.net.

Open beta just means that it is open in some way. It doesn't necessarily mean that it is open in such way that every person can play the game.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

If you pre-purchase you are automatically in all BWE (no need to wait for random selection), you get some character item, and a headstart to reserve your name before game opens to general pop.

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

People trying to convince other not to buy the game...

Well, I don't believe most people here are acting out of anything other than self interest, so those of you actively telling us what we shouldn't want, could you please tell us you you think we should want or just go away?

Those of you who are dissapointed in the idea of GW2 having a cash shop at all, I think you need to look carefully at the game mechanics of GW2.  This isn't a gear driven game, and there won't be items that you can get from the cash shop that are better than in dungeons, or rare drops, or crafting, or PvP.  This isn't a level grind game, and your level won't effect your ability to play competitive PvP.  Levels take roughly the same amount of time to get starting after the initial leveling phase.  Anet has saaid that they are aiming for around an hour to an hour and a half per level if you are playing the game normally.  People will likely find ways to rush through the game, but for what?  End game is the WHOLE game.  People who don't want XP boosts or Karma boosts won't feel limited in what they can do per day.  GW2 doesn't utilize the diminishing returns system that other games have (they have a daily achievement reward system, but that is a topic for another time).  The real value of these boosts, is that you can level even if you don't really have all theat much time to play (People with jobs, people in college, people with families).  Considering the gem system, even if you don't spend money, you can still farm gold, trade gold to player for gems, and then use the cash shop.  Those of you worried about the ability to buy gold effecting WvW through people buying influence points, the other player could have spent his money on influence points...as a whole nothing is gained...buying gold doesn't create money.  Additionally, all 3 sides of a WvWvW battle have lots of people, I would guess that the number of people buying influence points would be, on average, equal for each server...It doesn't really make sense to assume otherwise.

Those of you worried about the final products quality, and why should you pay for the game before you see any info about the game (there is an NDA), please get your head out of the sand.  Watch some gameplay vidoes, they have been around for nearly 2 years.  A good number of us have played the game at conventions.  Press was allowed to talk about pretty much everything (except the cash shop, which is under NDA because it is unfinished, still being worked on, being made bettter, blah blah blah.)  You could ask us questions about the game (but you should look to see if the question has been asked before...seriously.)

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Anet didn't take my money, I gave it to them, it was an informed choice. You could speculate to your hearts content that this game is going to be ripping you off left right and centre and miss out on a great game, your choice but your speculation isn't based on fact or past experience with Anet.

• FezVizziniFezVizzini Member Posts: 24

When will people who post about P2W get this point into their thick skulls ?

Unless you are talking about the (dubious) advantages that might be gained from WvW then there is no such thing as P2W

I could not care less if everything in the game could be bought in a CS. I'm mainy a PvE player so kindly explain to me how amyone buying anything from a CS is "winning" as compared to me. There is no "win" in PvE. You play, you kill stuff you get rewards. If someone has better gear than me then I will get it eventually by getting the gold and buying it myself from the CS.

Normal PvP is played on a level playing field with everyone at same level and with same gear (as I understand it).

OK, you can be at an advantage (though who knows by how much, probably a VERY small anount) in WvW if you have bought influence with gold. However, to get all the gold in the 1st place you have to trade gems into gold and that means finding another player to do the deal. The only reason that I as a player would buy gems from another player for my gold is if the exchange rate was a lot lower than the game exchange rate. I really cannot see that people will be able to exchange gems into gold at any amount that will have any inflence in PvP.

SO in conclusion :-

CS : It boils down to people being jealous. That's it pure and simple.

• DraftbeerDraftbeer Member UncommonPosts: 517

EvilGeek +1

Pretty much what you said.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Let me put it another way:

I was wrong.

This discussion has been closed.