Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"It's a Trap"

Comments

• neobahamut20neobahamut20 Member Posts: 336

Originally posted by bazak

Originally posted by neobahamut20

1) Buying a product and having the opportunity to make sure its great isnt paying to test, its investing.

2) The NDA has no legal standing for products you own. There is no NDA for anyone who bought the product. At least, not in Canada. However, games that dont suck dont have an NDA. Keep that in mind. The NDA was for those who tested without buying, thus getting a preview.

By making beta access part of the pre-purchase, they invalidated their NDA. That is awesome. red part = wrong

not true, the only thing beta wise that has been purchased was a guarantee of getting in to the beta weekends (and considering all signs point to them dropping the nda when those weekends arrive *aka once you get access to what you have purchased* >.> ....).

so the people who got into the beta weekends that werent included in pre purchase and bought the game still cant say a dam thing about those weekends without risking a lawsuit. essentialy you do not own the beta weekends that were and are under nda and untill that particular nda is lifted you cant say crap.

even a large lawfirm is gonna have to work dam hard to wiggle out of that and noone is stupid enough to hire an expensive lawfirm to try and wiggle out of that (i seriously hope they arent and if they are that they dont have that kind of money).

Depends which country you are in. Here, they own the product now, it belongs to them. Not to Anet. The NDA has to do with what belongs to Anet, which after a financial transaction, ceases to belong to them. You cannot claim rights on a product after you sell it (which is why the music industry is corrupting our elected members, they want that to change).

Therefor, the NDA, as soon as the purchase is made, becomes invalid.

yes but that is not actualy what they are selling, its not the actual product, the previous weekends were not included in the sale. they bought the right to play gw2 on the live servers and to play on the beta event weekends, not the beta testing weekends.

the previous weekends are not a part of the product and therefore are not included, honestly i said this stuff in my last post >.>

it all depends on what you define the product itself as, they dont have a right to talk about things they havent been sold and   access to previous betas (a service not sold to anyone) is not included in the pre purchase, so there is no problem with that law. remember you dont own any mmo, you just own the right to use the software and access the server (basicly you are just buying services although the game disc might be included but you would need to have the game disc and get what info is on it to be able to leak anything info from any other source is not a part of the product.)

Well, that is wrong.

You buy something that you must install on YOUR machine. Therefor, all the data that is installed belongs to you. Are they paying your bandwidth? No, then all the data transmitted belongs to you. So, anything that can be installed is yours now. Why do you think antivirus software keeps on working without updates if you dont renew (for the costly ones)? They lost a case on the exact same thing.

Note that this is only true in Canada. And not for long with C-11 looming. But currently, the laws make it illegal to ban someone from using the game.

Boycotting EA. Why? They suck, even moreso since 2008.

Originally posted by botrytis

Originally posted by botrytis

1) Buying a product and having the opportunity to make sure its great isnt paying to test, its investing.

2) The NDA has no legal standing for products you own. There is no NDA for anyone who bought the product. At least, not in Canada. However, games that dont suck dont have an NDA. Keep that in mind. The NDA was for those who tested without buying, thus getting a preview.

By making beta access part of the pre-purchase, they invalidated their NDA. That is awesome. red part = wrong

not true, the only thing beta wise that has been purchased was a guarantee of getting in to the beta weekends (and considering all signs point to them dropping the nda when those weekends arrive *aka once you get access to what you have purchased* >.> ....).

so the people who got into the beta weekends that werent included in pre purchase and bought the game still cant say a dam thing about those weekends without risking a lawsuit. essentialy you do not own the beta weekends that were and are under nda and untill that particular nda is lifted you cant say crap.

even a large lawfirm is gonna have to work dam hard to wiggle out of that and noone is stupid enough to hire an expensive lawfirm to try and wiggle out of that (i seriously hope they arent and if they are that they dont have that kind of money).

Depends which country you are in. Here, they own the product now, it belongs to them. Not to Anet. The NDA has to do with what belongs to Anet, which after a financial transaction, ceases to belong to them. You cannot claim rights on a product after you sell it (which is why the music industry is corrupting our elected members, they want that to change).

AH - NO. A.net owns the game period. You bought rights to use the game, you do not own any content in the game period. This has been this way since UO, GW, and WoW came out.

In the USA, maybe. Not here. Here, if you say purchase, it implies buying the product, not renting it. If I was falsely led to believe that I would own the product, they can refund the person and then cut access. But the word, on the screen, clearly said that GW2 would be mine in exchange for 60$. That is the transaction that took place.

AH no. You need to re-read ANY of your EULA's for any recent games you purchased. It was the same way in Europe as in the US as for as GW1 was concerned - I belong to a guild from Britain/Europe in that game. The same rules apply.

As I said, read your EULA.

EULAs are not legally binding. WoW's EULA is illegal in Quebec, Canada too. So not only is it not binding, its not even valid as a contract. In GW2, the website has me click purchase before presenting me with the conditions of the purchase, which is not legal either here.  Contracts have to be presented first, you cannot lead the buyer to think that the contract says something it does not (like saying purchase but contractually claim its a rent), and you cannot decieve the buyer into accepting the contract. (Such as claiming it is only an agreement and not labelling it contract), and, as GW2 will be available in French, the site did not give me the option to buy in French, which means if I felt like being a total asshole, I could shutdown all box sales in Quebec by asking an injunction.

Read your laws, its way more fun when you know them.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Its hilarious watching the same people who complained about previous games and how they had to pay to beta test an unworthy release, but because Arena Net has now done it, it is ok. And let's not forget not even revealing a launch date before taking peoples' money. If you have a problem with it, simple answer is do NOT buy it, that's it. No one is forcing you to buy it. Vote with your wallets. Unfortunate for the MMORPG genre, consumers have a short memory & attention span, so companies' will continue to get over on their fanbase.

I dont know about you, but Im lookin fwd to my Chalice of Glory: "Earn some extra glory with this one time use only item. Use glory to unlock rewards in PVP"

And I plan on buying a bunch more from the cash shop.

• channel84channel84 Member UncommonPosts: 585

It's b2p

If witcher 3 have a pre purchase to get to experience the game before release, will you participate?

And also keep in mind that all the demo andf beta video available is pointing to awesome sauce

• EvilestTwinEvilestTwin Member Posts: 286

Originally posted by channel84

It's b2p

If witcher 3 have a pre purchase to get to experience the game before release, will you participate?

And also keep in mind that all the demo andf beta video available is pointing to awesome sauce

This.   How many B2P games even give you a beta?

• bazakbazak Member UncommonPosts: 283

yes but that is not actualy what they are selling, its not the actual product, the previous weekends were not included in the sale. they bought the right to play gw2 on the live servers and to play on the beta event weekends, not the beta testing weekends.

the previous weekends are not a part of the product and therefore are not included, honestly i said this stuff in my last post >.>

it all depends on what you define the product itself as, they dont have a right to talk about things they havent been sold and   access to previous betas (a service not sold to anyone) is not included in the pre purchase, so there is no problem with that law. remember you dont own any mmo, you just own the right to use the software and access the server (basicly you are just buying services although the game disc might be included but you would need to have the game disc and get what info is on it to be able to leak anything info from any other source is not a part of the product.)

Well, that is wrong.

You buy something that you must install on YOUR machine. Therefor, all the data that is installed belongs to you. Are they paying your bandwidth? No, then all the data transmitted belongs to you. So, anything that can be installed is yours now. Why do you think antivirus software keeps on working without updates if you dont renew (for the costly ones)? They lost a case on the exact same thing.

Note that this is only true in Canada. And not for long with C-11 looming. But currently, the laws make it illegal to ban someone from using the game.

im sorry but your still wrong you are making the assumption that you are buying a game when in fact you are buying a SERVICE. first off no mmo sells its program that is utter foolishness, your just liscencing the right to its use (with an antivirus and most programs you have the right to permanant usage you have the right to permanant usage the the gw2 launcher when u buy this game too and anything that came on the disc but you are still only liscencing it you do not own the coding).

thats why that court case was won its been this way as long as i can remember. you never own a program when you buy it that would imply you have the right to sell copys of the code to others, which you dont... and you most certainly dont own the servers and supercomputers the game is run on or the codeing on those machines. your not gonna win this debate ive been a gamer since as far back as i can remember i know this stuff very well.

• bazakbazak Member UncommonPosts: 283

Originally posted by Nevulus

Its hilarious watching the same people who complained about previous games and how they had to pay to beta test an unworthy release, but because Arena Net has now done it, it is ok. And let's not forget not even revealing a launch date before taking peoples' money. If you have a problem with it, simple answer is do NOT buy it, that's it. No one is forcing you to buy it. Vote with your wallets. Unfortunate for the MMORPG genre, consumers have a short memory & attention span, so companies' will continue to get over on their fanbase.

I dont know about you, but Im lookin fwd to my Chalice of Glory: "Earn some extra glory with this one time use only item. Use glory to unlock rewards in PVP"

And I plan on buying a bunch more from the cash shop.

what proof do you have they will be in the cash shop? if you look at the leaked one, (not final) it would lead you to believe they wont be selling instant gain items like that only boosts of the amount you gain when getting stuff thru mobs and nothing in pvp.

if that were in there i would personaly start B@#%ing at them, wud still buy the game but be pissed off on moral grounds.

oh and as for your main part fine they can complain all they want its their own stupid fault, we were given a chance at getting in for free a while back, if you purchase only cuz u want in the beta your a bit dense anyways. in the end its a gamble for most of us we look at the odds and a lot of us fans say hey the game looks like it will be great and the companys got a great record (from personal experiance or not) and then we take the plunge, if your stupid enough to go around whining after you knowingly took a gamble and lost well hey ima just ignore ya.

i made some very bad gambles myself pre ordered the 80$ CE of star trek online luckily it was fun for a few weeks, then there was aion..... so much potential.... either way its our choice and btw i never had a problem with them granting beta access to people who pre purchase/pre order a mmo. and as for those who did at first... well its been that way so long now why the hell are they gonna continue complaining? especialy when they like the game? they know it wont change a dam thing so your post is overall pretty much pointless

• Jason2444Jason2444 Member Posts: 372

Originally posted by Sephastus

1) Pay to Beta test

I was under the impression I paid for a copy of Guild Wars 2

MMOs played: WoW, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars, Planetside, Global Agenda, Star Trek Online, RIFT, Everquest 2, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, EvE online, APB
    Best MMO Companies: Trion Worlds, ArenaNet, CCP
    Worst MMO Companies: Electronic Arts

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

You can buy a copy of the client. ANet doesn't have to grant you access to their servers however.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

Originally posted by just1opinion

So my question is this.....why didn't the OP just simply not order and go about their merry way?  Instead, they came and made a thread about NOT ordering.  LMAO  The whining comments in this thread are so transparent it's not even funny.  GW2 has become the new whipping post of MMORPG.com's, well....we'll just call them "negative posters."  But we all know what we're talking about here.

Classic MMORPG.com.  Sad, but true.

Public service announcement my ASS. 

^^This is awesome.

And, I'm not afraid to say what you're thinking.....they're TROLLS!  lol

Yes, you are a troll if you start a thread about how you're not going to pre-order/-purchase a game.  It's also trolling to name a thread "It's a trap".  Especially when the "warning" is actually a "rant" in disguise.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

1) Pay to Beta test

i'm with you, OP! that's a terrifying new trend i find offensive. how dare they make me pay to beta test their dumb game.

i refuse to pay for beta testing their game. ever. they can pay ME to beta test their game.

i have, however, pre-ordered their game. i refused to pay the extra cost to beta test their game, though, so they can stick that up thei- huh? it wasn't extra?

you mean, i paid the cost of the box and got into the beta test period for FREE?

no way. get outta here! that can't be right.

this guy said i'm paying to test it! i'm so confused. help!

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Originally posted by headphones

1) Pay to Beta test

i'm with you, OP! that's a terrifying new trend i find offensive. how dare they make me pay to beta test their dumb game.

i refuse to pay for beta testing their game. ever. they can pay ME to beta test their game.

i have, however, pre-ordered their game. i refused to pay the extra cost to beta test their game, though, so they can stick that up thei- huh? it wasn't extra?

you mean, i paid the cost of the box and got into the beta test period for FREE?

no way. get outta here! that can't be right.

this guy said i'm paying to test it! i'm so confused. help!

Don't play then.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743

They probably need the extra funds to complete the game :P.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

Well, that is wrong.

im sorry but your still wrong you are making the assumption that you are buying a game when in fact you are buying a SERVICE. first off no mmo sells its program that is utter foolishness, your just liscencing the right to its use (with an antivirus and most programs you have the right to permanant usage you have the right to permanant usage the the gw2 launcher when u buy this game too and anything that came on the disc but you are still only liscencing it you do not own the coding).

thats why that court case was won its been this way as long as i can remember. you never own a program when you buy it that would imply you have the right to sell copys of the code to others, which you dont... and you most certainly dont own the servers and supercomputers the game is run on or the codeing on those machines. your not gonna win this debate ive been a gamer since as far back as i can remember i know this stuff very well.

The fact you are willing to lay down and let them walk all over you is your choice, and I will even fight for your right to make that choice even if I do not agree with it. I rather stand up for my rights and be called Mister. The law is all that matters, and it varies. Here, they are in illegality.

They can choose to ban me from their servers, but they cannot stop me from modifying the client to connect to another server in that case. Doing that is once again breaking a law.

What people need to realise is that games can only make laws in their ficticious world, not in the real one. I happen to live in the real one.

Edit: To be clear, by the wording of the law, they are not breaking it, EB Games (and other distributors) are doing so by selling ANet's product.

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231

Guild Wars 2 is one of the very few games I've been hyped for this generation and I've been planning on buying it since I saw that manifesto trailer. I've seen lots of good footage. I would buy it on day one either way so what is the problem? I've already paid for my collectors edition and I get access to beta weekends, I'm sorry but I fail to see how this puts me at a disadvantage.

I'm not paying to beta test, I'm paying for the full game now and I will pick it up for free when it's out.

• EzekelEzekel Member Posts: 98

It would only be paying to beta test if you did not get the actual game when it releases. Since you are in fact buying the full retail product the fact that doing so gets you access to Beta does not mean that your actually paying for the right to Beta test.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Im doing exactly what the OP suggested.  Even though I cant wait to experience and play GW2.  

These tactics are a little wonky but I'll let it slide because its obviously working for ANET.  But when I buy something I intend to have it, and beta access is a service Im providing.  Not the other way around.  I dont buy my way into betas. 

But thats my choice and if a good deal of the fans want to do it differently and support anet their way Im all for it. 

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by Corehaven

Im doing exactly what the OP suggested.  Even though I cant wait to experience and play GW2.  

These tactics are a little wonky but I'll let it slide because its obviously working for ANET.  But when I buy something I intend to have it, and beta access is a service Im providing.  Not the other way around.  I dont buy my way into betas. 

But thats my choice and if a good deal of the fans want to do it differently and support anet their way Im all for it. 

The way I look at it, you're not buying your way into beta. You're buying the game and ANet throws in beta access for free. It's not like you're paying extra for it, right?

Buying the game without a release date is kind of iffy but ANet is a solid developer and I doubt that they will take our money and run. Ultimately, the pre-purchase is an optional thing. You don't absolutely have to get it and you're not going to miss out on anything significant anyway. You do get a 3-day head start though, so if that matters to people, then I guess they would feel compelled to pre-purchase. Otherwise, wait and see, is a solid tactic.

• KidonKidon Member UncommonPosts: 399

I am utterly dumbfounded at what the hype has done to what would otherwise be a smart community. I will try to put things into a little perspective, and you can flame all you want afterwards, but please hear me out:

1) Pay to Beta test

In all honesty, how many times have most of us complained that once a game is released, it feels like you are paying to beta test it for them because of some irks or outright bugs we find in it... But in GW2 you are ACTUALLY paying in order to beta test it. It's not a PRIVILAGE, it's a service. And I don't know about you, but when I provide a service, I want to be paid, or otherwise compensated for it. But in this case, you are paying THEM in order to test their game out. Just pure ridiculousness...

2) Pay Full price BEFORE an NDA has been lifted

My word, who would do such a thing? Please... just think for a moment. Peer review is one of the best judges of an item, specially when there is no conflict of interest. News sites and some demo tests are NOT a good judgement of the final product. The websites that got access to the BETA want traffic, and are also going to attempt to showcase their own talents, either in writing or other aspects. This means they will very much romanticize what they experienced and even without realizing it will sugar coat the experience, which is clear conflict of interests. As for demos, these are the polished versions of a limited scope of the game. I can't tell you how many times I have enjoyed a demo much more than the actual full game. Lets review something: why would you hold something behind your back, and ask people to pay you in full before you give it to them? I will let you draw your own conclusion on that one (even if it does hurt some prides).

I was going to continue adding some more points, but instead of this becoming a warning, it would look like a rant. My sincere advice to my fellow players is to NOT purchase the game outright until the NDA is lifted and the beta crowds give you the real low-down on how things are. You will not loose out on anything since the beta chars get whiped, and you will enjoy your journey much better on launch day. Best case scenerio you will realize the game is not for you and would have saved some cash. Worst case scenario you loose out on some early gameplay, which would get deleted anyways.

This has been a public service announcement :-P

There will be no NDA on beta weekends after the 20th, people that did the purchase have decided long ago that they would play GW2, so basicaly it is ArenaNet that is giving us the possibility to play before the game is finished, and therefore helping to improve the game to our benefith.

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

For me, as soon as i pay money to in order to beta "test" a game, i am then just previewing the game.

If i apply for beta testing and i'm invited to participate, then i will do just that. I will test it, give feedback, and help them develop it. I've been invited to many over the years..EQ, WO, WoW, SWTOR, for example. were some of the AAA titles.

I'm not against it tho. plenty of MMO look good and i want to try it out asap. i go ahead and put my money down. I see it as a sign of the times to pre order/purchase for beta access. its just good marketing strategy. it is a business after all.

• DawnstarDawnstar Member UncommonPosts: 207

I am utterly dumbfounded at what the hype has done to what would otherwise be a smart community. I will try to put things into a little perspective, and you can flame all you want afterwards, but please hear me out:

1) Pay to Beta test

In all honesty, how many times have most of us complained that once a game is released, it feels like you are paying to beta test it for them because of some irks or outright bugs we find in it... But in GW2 you are ACTUALLY paying in order to beta test it. It's not a PRIVILAGE, it's a service. And I don't know about you, but when I provide a service, I want to be paid, or otherwise compensated for it. But in this case, you are paying THEM in order to test their game out. Just pure ridiculousness...

2) Pay Full price BEFORE an NDA has been lifted

My word, who would do such a thing? Please... just think for a moment. Peer review is one of the best judges of an item, specially when there is no conflict of interest. News sites and some demo tests are NOT a good judgement of the final product. The websites that got access to the BETA want traffic, and are also going to attempt to showcase their own talents, either in writing or other aspects. This means they will very much romanticize what they experienced and even without realizing it will sugar coat the experience, which is clear conflict of interests. As for demos, these are the polished versions of a limited scope of the game. I can't tell you how many times I have enjoyed a demo much more than the actual full game. Lets review something: why would you hold something behind your back, and ask people to pay you in full before you give it to them? I will let you draw your own conclusion on that one (even if it does hurt some prides).

I was going to continue adding some more points, but instead of this becoming a warning, it would look like a rant. My sincere advice to my fellow players is to NOT purchase the game outright until the NDA is lifted and the beta crowds give you the real low-down on how things are. You will not loose out on anything since the beta chars get whiped, and you will enjoy your journey much better on launch day. Best case scenerio you will realize the game is not for you and would have saved some cash. Worst case scenario you loose out on some early gameplay, which would get deleted anyways.

This has been a public service announcement :-P

The characters created may get deleted, but not the experience of playing the game.

• ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776

What I want to know is why the frick the OP gives a rat's ass as to what other people choose to spend their money on? 

If I want to spend my money on beer and hookers should I expect to see the OP pop with a public service announcement and tell me to wait for a 'peer review' to find out if Jenny from the Block is worth the $20 I was going to throw at her.  I don't think so!

No, the OP shouldn't care.  Because it isn't his business to try and play the role of an internet nanny.   Caveat emptor and all the rest.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by Shoju

What I want to know is why the frick the OP gives a rat's ass as to what other people choose to spend their money on? 

If I want to spend my money on beer and hookers should I expect to see the OP pop with a public service announcement and tell me to wait for a 'peer review' to find out if Jenny from the Block is worth the $20 I was going to throw at her.  I don't think so!

No, the OP shouldn't care.  Because it isn't his business to try and play the role of an internet nanny.   Caveat emptor and all the rest.

Amen.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

Originally posted by Shoju

Three words come to mind. Online Reputation Management. 

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• DawnstarDawnstar Member UncommonPosts: 207

Since I was going to buy the game anyway and I'm not paying anymore $$ than I would have at launch, I'm not sure how I'm paying to beta test.  Actually, it's kind of funny that some of these posts almost sound like they are pleading for us not to spend the cash.