Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone Still play?

Dregard44Dregard44 Member Posts: 103
Anyone still playing? :). I was considering coming back for a while, But not sure if the population is suffering. Or if its even fun :). ^^ Can anyone help me out?

A Legend was Born

Comments

• MadragonMadragon Member UncommonPosts: 42
    There are still alot people playing, but may not hit this site. Atlantic and Pacifc for example are still pretty crowded.
  • obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804

There is a return program where you can open your old account for 7 days.
    Try that and have a look for yourself.
    In my opinion population is lots lower and the game is itemscentric, but still the best for roleplay out there.

• Dregard44Dregard44 Member Posts: 103
    http://www.uo.com/return.html - Return program is done with = And the trial is also over as well. Can still download the game, But you don't get the account keys anymore.

A Legend was Born

• LuRaviLuRavi Member UncommonPosts: 239

Obii, please explain why UO is the best for Roleplay still out there?

I consider that a false statement.

Roleplay can be done on any game, and it can still be ruined just as easily on any game.

Its easier to ruin Roleplay on UO just by having someone walk across the screen in any Neon outfit, or any type of Artifact for that matter. How can you possibly roleplay either one, when there is no game fiction to support either of those.

I am sick and tired of people claiming UO is great for Roleplay, when that is a statement of the past, from 3 years ago when it was a valid statement now its simply only if you find the right group and avoid normal players. HOWEVER that type of roleplay can be done on any game! Ultima Online in no way is the best situation for roleplay. Its simply average with every other game on the market.

I would submit that its easier to roleplay in World Of Warcraft because the clothing design, and race designs fit within the game world.

If SWG would ever have done the languages correctly instead of allowing everyone to know every single language, that would have been a candidate. As it is now anyone can teach anyone another language, cept for wookie speak.

• obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804

It depends what you see as roleplay.
    For me it is the freedom to do what I want and no other game except UO even remotely allows it.

Can I roleplay in other games?
    Sure you can and pretty well too, but your actions are limited.
    Can in other games people fight each other? Can they place items on the ground and actually build things or interact with those placed down things?

WoW is a terrific game but how would you roleplay a thief there, when the concept of such is not even there.
    Emoting things can only go so far before it is rediculous.

And about saying you need to find your group to roleplay in UO, I find this statement true for any game.

We have to face it roleplay is for geeks and the rest just plays a game for fun, the items and the achievment of having accomplished something.

After a bit more than six years playing on the europa shard I have to say overall roleplay took a hit, but there are still a few hundred out there that enjoy it and build communities.

At the moment I think three is no real commercial game out there for roleplayers, because there simple is not enough money in it. But UO with its sandbox concept, where if you wish can build your characters or things to your liking is still best.

Do I wish EA sells UO?
    Sure I do as they just want to suck out the last cash of this game and totally lost the integrity of the game over the years, but still the basic concept from where it was developed hides under it and provides good roleplay if the players agree to a set of standards.

• Shab_NiguratShab_Nigurat Member Posts: 64

I play UO since 2002

• LlamaLordLlamaLord Member Posts: 115

Originally posted by LuRavi

Obii, please explain why UO is the best for Roleplay still out there?
    I consider that a false statement.
    Roleplay can be done on any game, and it can still be ruined just as easily on any game.
    Its easier to ruin Roleplay on UO just by having someone walk across the screen in any Neon outfit, or any type of Artifact for that matter. How can you possibly roleplay either one, when there is no game fiction to support either of those.
    I am sick and tired of people claiming UO is great for Roleplay, when that is a statement of the past, from 3 years ago when it was a valid statement now its simply only if you find the right group and avoid normal players. HOWEVER that type of roleplay can be done on any game! Ultima Online in no way is the best situation for roleplay. Its simply average with every other game on the market.
    I would submit that its easier to roleplay in World Of Warcraft because the clothing design, and race designs fit within the game world.
    If SWG would ever have done the languages correctly instead of allowing everyone to know every single language, that would have been a candidate. As it is now anyone can teach anyone another language, cept for wookie speak.

Lol WoW better roleplaying than ultima online what are you bleeting on about? The roleplaying guilds in ultima beat any other mmorpg out there and ive played them all. The clothing for a start is better than WoW because you can wear what you want theres lots of customized parts for different looks. All the everquest clones have sucky rp UO hads the best customization for rp like player housing and countless locations to rp in.
  • galefan2004galefan2004 Member Posts: 127

Don't waste your time. If you want to play UO as it currently is slated go play WoW because its going to be the same exact system in about a month only UO will have stollen SIMs style housing as well.