Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"It's a Trap"

Comments

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

1) Pay to Beta test

I'm paying to play the game.  Being allowed to fool around in the beta is a perq for paying early.  I already know I'm buying the game.

2) Pay Full price BEFORE an NDA has been lifted

I know more about this game, seen more gameplay and read more material than any game I've ever purchased before.  The NDA, which only applies to those accepted into the official beta test, does not frighten me.  Journalists and others who have had the opportunity to play the game over the last couple of years are exempt, and they have had plenty to share with us.

Your fearmongering will only speak to those who already agree with you.  You won't be changing any minds because everyone has had more than enough information already to make a decision.  You are introducing nothing new.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by Nasa

Originally posted by Sephastus

Some of us are a bit more cautious after being burned one too many times.

Some of us have not been burned, because we have done the propper research.

And some of us have been burned, but know enough to realize that ArenaNet ain't Funcom.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by Vesavius

Please... just think for a moment. Peer review is one of the best judges of an item, specially when there is no conflict of interest. News sites and some demo tests are NOT a good judgement of the final product.

'Peer reviews' on today's internet are as worthless as any game site review, what with all the professional shilling and reputation management that exists.

For someone who is so preachy to others on being clever, I am suprised you didn't know that.

Those obvious shills get quickly picked apart by other people playing the game.

I think the OP's pretty dead on in his assessment.

A good, long term player impression tells you so much more. Let alone a whole slew of them.

No matter how good the game looks to you, these practices are iffy at best. Some people pulling in examples of similar roll-outs from other companies don't change a thing to that.

Actually this community has been really vocal in the past about games with a "pay2beta" (or at least advertising guaranteed beta access for payers), late NDA drops, lack of full disclosure, lack of release dates, etc. But somehow, ... because its GW2, a lot of people object to any kind of skepticism in this regard and show a remarkable creativity in reasoning their way out of it.

Ah well ... It's what very high expectations do to you I guess.

• KwintpodKwintpod Member Posts: 262

I think the chance that you will get in atleast ONE of the beta weekends without paying a single dime are pretty big.

Not to mention that you can always cancel pre-orders

• adaneshadeadaneshade Member Posts: 36

Several things to keep in mind.........

- You don't HAVE to pre-purchase to participate in BETA events

- There has been no "end date" set for pre-purchase rewards, so if you want  the 3 day head start but feel paying now is too early, just wait until closer to release

- Those of us wishing to support a company we have built a trusting relationship with over the course of several years are willing to pay now to ensure that there is no pressure to release an unfinished product due cash flow. They know this and are simply allowing people who already wish to help, to do so in BETA testing as well.

I for one, intend to send bug reports because I want a successful game. I'm sure anyone else who has already invested money in the game would feel the same. Who better to test it?

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Now is not the time to try and have a discussion with the community no matter how rational you may come across.

Wait 3 months after release and when enough people have played the game extensively.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Originally posted by Kwintpod

Not to mention that you can always cancel pre-orders

Tho I do believe to get "guaranteed" beta weekend access you have to "pre-purchase" which is a slightly different animal than a pre-order.

Part of the FAQ even mentioned that if you were pre-ordering a phsyical copy the approved retailers could convert it to a "pre-purchase".

Tho maybe I misunderstood something.   You can obviously create a new Anet account and do a backcharge even with a pre-purchase (depending on your bank) .. obviously the account would be banned and that credit card may be blocked for future purchases from them... but you can do that I guess.

If regular pre-orders get guaranteed access.. then I just read the FAQ wrong.. which is probably likely.

Just wanted to write my wall for the day.

*.*

*edit*   For reference what I was talking about:

Is Pre-Purchase the only way to get into Guild Wars 2 Beta Weekend Events?

Pre-Purchase is the only guaranteed way to get into all Beta Weekend Events. We will also be running promotions for access to individual Beta Weekend Events.

That's from their FAQ.   So as far as I understand simply pre-ordering would give you no more chance to get into a beta weekend.. than simply applying for beta.

• KwintpodKwintpod Member Posts: 262

I thought the only difference between pre-purchase and order was the three days headstart, seems I was wrong.

• VanadromArdaVanadromArda Member Posts: 445

I'm going to also have to point out the poster doesn't seem to address the issue of 'Hobbiest' in this question. In particular, if we're going to discuss Collector's Editions especially. A lot of people enjoy buying Collector's Editions, but not for the game -- for the goodies. But do they put these goodies on display and say, "Look at me, I'm an awesome fanboy"? -- probably a select few. A lot of them actually, at least the many ones I've spoken to say pretty much the same things.

"Collector's Editions are an investment."

Investment?

Well yes. People buy full box sets of games and then toss them into storage for a year. Sort of like buying bonds. After about of a year or more, they gauge the success of the game and turn around and try to re-sale the Collector's Edition at an exploded price. Potentially profitted by as much as 10times their buying price.

People have gauged this based on the previous Collector's Editions, which have managed to sell in the thousands.

• komobokomobo Member Posts: 144

Is the pre-purchase price different from the price of the game at launch?

If not, how does that equate to "paying for beta"? I don't see it - unless of course you've accounted for inflation and possible interest gains, had you waited to buy the game at launch but are we that pedantic?

* Waves at Pushkina *

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Its only a trap if the company "setting" it intends to do the buyer harm.

If they intended to close the game 3 months after release, for example, then it would be a trap.

Far as I know, their intentions are to give people a game they think will be good. If that turns out not to be the case, then it was just an accident, not a trap.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Anyone unsure should wait until the game is released, it is as simple as that.

And paying to beta tests are not something new. Mortal online did the same thing, STO even sold life time subs for loads of money before launch.

Heck, Blizzard will "give" you Diablo 3 if you sign up for a year of Wow.

I have bought it myself already (I am a huge fan of GW1) but I wouldn't recommend anyone else who isn't 100% sold to do the same.

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

I'm quite fascinated with GW2 so far but I'm not buying it until the NDA is fully lifted, release date is announced and a comprehensive list of CS items is available. Simple common sense dictates that I should know at least that much before making any decision. Caveat emptor.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455

Originally posted by komobo

If not, how does that equate to "paying for beta"? I don't see it - unless of course you've accounted for inflation and possible interest gains, had you waited to buy the game at launch but are we that pedantic?

I am going to sell you a car. its a great car, and it will run well for a long time. It just has no rear window. Don't worry though, you wont notice anything as the car is still being built and the window will be in by its intended sell date. But you can get in the car and drive it now, then bring it back, we put in the rear window and you are set.

Paying up front for a product that is in beta and under NDA sounds just as ridiculous. But don't worry, others have already made some good points. They claim that because there is enough data they are making an informed desicion. Personally, I want to see what server stability will look like with a real load, as well as the effects of lag spikes and such on action combat. In ideal conditions it seems great... but we are not in an ideal world.

• umie214umie214 Member Posts: 123

pre-purchased the second the site came online. GW2 is already a huge success. might as well give ANet a Nobel, like we did to Obama. just the intent and the philosophy are worth getting rewarded.

that being said, GW2 is already panning out to be the best MMO ever created, in addition to GOTY. at least based on the feedback of everyone who played it. good enough for me.

it was a trap to buy a game like TOR, which looked worse than WoW since its first days of being previewed.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Well i take a gamble at least i can afford the money ive spent on CE but i think with beta and retail i wont regret buying the game future offocrse will show if i made mistake.

Im a sandbox fan now i gamble on a themepark thats in manyways a free to play game as sandbox with dynamic events. No realy traditional gameplay.

With last couple years in sort stalemate, i took the gamble, hoping to have fun with GW2.

At least i got nice statue:P

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

I would agree with you OP, but my jury duty was just cancelled all week so i get to go back to work to make some money!! so yeah, i'm going to treat myself to GW2 Pre-purchase when i get home ;)

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

I am utterly dumbfounded at what the hype has done to what would otherwise be a smart community. I will try to put things into a little perspective, and you can flame all you want afterwards, but please hear me out:

1) Pay to Beta test

In all honesty, how many times have most of us complained that once a game is released, it feels like you are paying to beta test it for them because of some irks or outright bugs we find in it... But in GW2 you are ACTUALLY paying in order to beta test it. It's not a PRIVILAGE, it's a service. And I don't know about you, but when I provide a service, I want to be paid, or otherwise compensated for it. But in this case, you are paying THEM in order to test their game out. Just pure ridiculousness...

My word, who would do such a thing? Please... just think for a moment. Peer review is one of the best judges of an item, specially when there is no conflict of interest. News sites and some demo tests are NOT a good judgement of the final product. The websites that got access to the BETA want traffic, and are also going to attempt to showcase their own talents, either in writing or other aspects. This means they will very much romanticize what they experienced and even without realizing it will sugar coat the experience, which is clear conflict of interests. As for demos, these are the polished versions of a limited scope of the game. I can't tell you how many times I have enjoyed a demo much more than the actual full game. Lets review something: why would you hold something behind your back, and ask people to pay you in full before you give it to them? I will let you draw your own conclusion on that one (even if it does hurt some prides).

I was going to continue adding some more points, but instead of this becoming a warning, it would look like a rant. My sincere advice to my fellow players is to NOT purchase the game outright until the NDA is lifted and the beta crowds give you the real low-down on how things are. You will not loose out on anything since the beta chars get whiped, and you will enjoy your journey much better on launch day. Best case scenerio you will realize the game is not for you and would have saved some cash. Worst case scenario you loose out on some early gameplay, which would get deleted anyways.

This has been a public service announcement :-P

Whachoohmean???

my only answer to this text wall is... If you dont like what you see in beta you cancel and get a refund... dont see any trap here

• komobokomobo Member Posts: 144

Originally posted by komobo

I am going to sell you a car. its a great car, and it will run well for a long time. It just has no rear window. Don't worry though, you wont notice anything as the car is still being built and the window will be in by its intended sell date. But you can get in the car and drive it now, then bring it back, we put in the rear window and you are set.

Paying up front for a product that is in beta and under NDA sounds just as ridiculous. But don't worry, others have already made some good points. They claim that because there is enough data they are making an informed desicion. Personally, I want to see what server stability will look like with a real load, as well as the effects of lag spikes and such on action combat. In ideal conditions it seems great... but we are not in an ideal world.

That's all great and fine, we all like irrelevant analogies but of course you did not answer my original question.

* Waves at Pushkina *

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

okay. let's none of us buy it. let no one do anything but tentatively dip their big toe in before release. what will we get at release then? probably a much more mediocre game. i didn't buy gw2 today because i want cbt access, or on some flight of whinsy. i bought it because i want to support anet in any way that i can. i will give them my money before launch to help them out financialy. i will be in their cbts to help them out technically. and i am doing this as a sign to anet that i support them and that i believe in what they are trying to do. it's the exact same reason i dumped $20 with stoic and double fine on kickstarter. sure it's a gamble, but i am willing to back up anet on this one until the end because at the very least they have a vision, and they're trying to acheive it.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

I am utterly dumbfounded at what the hype has done to what would otherwise be a smart community. I will try to put things into a little perspective, and you can flame all you want afterwards, but please hear me out:

1) Pay to Beta test

In all honesty, how many times have most of us complained that once a game is released, it feels like you are paying to beta test it for them because of some irks or outright bugs we find in it... But in GW2 you are ACTUALLY paying in order to beta test it. It's not a PRIVILAGE, it's a service. And I don't know about you, but when I provide a service, I want to be paid, or otherwise compensated for it. But in this case, you are paying THEM in order to test their game out. Just pure ridiculousness...

My word, who would do such a thing? Please... just think for a moment. Peer review is one of the best judges of an item, specially when there is no conflict of interest. News sites and some demo tests are NOT a good judgement of the final product. The websites that got access to the BETA want traffic, and are also going to attempt to showcase their own talents, either in writing or other aspects. This means they will very much romanticize what they experienced and even without realizing it will sugar coat the experience, which is clear conflict of interests. As for demos, these are the polished versions of a limited scope of the game. I can't tell you how many times I have enjoyed a demo much more than the actual full game. Lets review something: why would you hold something behind your back, and ask people to pay you in full before you give it to them? I will let you draw your own conclusion on that one (even if it does hurt some prides).

I was going to continue adding some more points, but instead of this becoming a warning, it would look like a rant. My sincere advice to my fellow players is to NOT purchase the game outright until the NDA is lifted and the beta crowds give you the real low-down on how things are. You will not loose out on anything since the beta chars get whiped, and you will enjoy your journey much better on launch day. Best case scenerio you will realize the game is not for you and would have saved some cash. Worst case scenario you loose out on some early gameplay, which would get deleted anyways.

1) Pay to beta test

I'm not paying to beta test, there was no option asking me to pay extra to be part of any betas. I paid for a game I have already decided to buy. The information present was enough for me. 

2) Pay full price BEFORE the NDA has been lifted.

Again we have seen so much of this game there is very little the NDA can or will tell us. What have the held behind there back besides a few things which have yet to be set in stone? We've seen numerous gameplay videos, we've been inundated with information, for many of us this was enough to make a decision. Even the leaked beta information from our "Peers" has been good. 

The bottom line I guess is this, I and many others have seen enough to know we wanted to purchase this game. For you to call us unintelligent for doing so is a bit out there. 

But... thanks for the public service announcement don't take offense at me disregarding it as nothing more than a rant from someone that isn't happy so many like or enjoy something they do not. 

• Size-TwelveSize-Twelve Member UncommonPosts: 478

I see where the OP is coming from, and it's a fair point. but the demand is clearly there. It seems so many people want to play these games early that it creates an opportunity to charge for early access.

Some of us are just early adopters like that. Occasionally you get burned, but it's exciting to be one of the first people to get their hands on something new. I was glad to have the opportunity honestly.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

1) Pay to Beta test

This can all be summed up and pointed out how dumb the post is in a few sentances.

You are not being forced to buy the game. They did not say "Buy it now or you can never buy it again." Its also not the ONLY way to get into beta. They already handed out a bunch of keys. So it boils down to this is a chance to support the game early. Period. End of story. Dont want to? Then wait for an NDA drop or take your chances on getting a beta key another way. No one is FORCING you to pre-purchase. This is for thoes of us that have already decided we would be getting the game and see no point in waiting.

This has been a public service announcement.

• umie214umie214 Member Posts: 123

youre not paying for a beta test. youre paying to play the game before it's out. ANet couldnt care less about your input, theyre just using BWE's to market the game. testing is left to testers, not pre-purchasers.

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

I am going to sell you a car. its a great car, and it will run well for a long time. It just has no rear window.
    Well, the situation with GW2 pre-purchase is much better and much worse at the same time. Better, because it's not actually a car. It costs incommensurably less and, unlike a faulty car, doesn't endanger anyone's life. :) Yet worse, because you don't know if you'll ever get that rear window. You also don't know exactly what kind of car it's going to be. Finally, you don't even know when you'll finally get to drive it.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).