Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The price of this game is ridiculous

ValuaValua Member Posts: 520

The Digital Edition and the Digital Deluxe Edition are way over priced.

£49.99 and £64.99 Really?

What a rip off. 

The Old Republics two editions were both cheaper, Tera is cheaper, Secret World is cheaper, any WoW expansion was cheaper.

Why does Arenanet think they can charge this ammount? Because it's free to play (with a cash shop)? And I don't even get the retial box? Pathetic. 

Mass Effect 3, Skyrim and the new Assassins Creed were only £34.99.

I've never paid 50+ for a game in my life, and I never will, especially not for an MMO with a cash shop.

And a 3 day head start for those who pre-purchase it, 1 day for those who pre-order it. This seems like they are pretty worried about their game and want people to purchase it before release to me.

I had three days of headstart on The Old Republic to test it, and then cancel my order beacuse I didn't like the game, which I thought was very generous of Bioware. 

As you can probably tell I'm pissed off. I'll buy this game a few months after release when it's reduced to £20, which I can see happening fast with the current price of the game.

Edit - (for the people who didn't read it all but stil comment making me out like a troll:)

1.) My post is about the British digital versions of the game, which are currently £60 (which is close to £80 dollars) very overpriced. The average game costs 30-40 pounds, not 60 here.

2.) Yes, I can shop around and get it cheaper. But my post is about ArenaNet's arrogance of having the game at this price on their website, irrelevent of whether I can shop around and get it cheaper.

3.) Also you only get a 3 day headstart if you buy it directly from ArenaNet, if you Pre-Order is anywhere else you only get a 1 day headstart. Pathetic.

Comments

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743

Are those prices including VAT, etc? It's about 6$ more than the price of an average game in the States or Canada.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• VeshiVeshi Member UncommonPosts: 32

They dont seem too expensive to me seeing as there are no monthly costs. I think i spent alot more on other games over the years that required monthly fees.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

There is no monthly fee that is why Arenanet is charging the same price as a PS3 or XBox 360 game. Come on, do some research, this is the going price of most AAA games.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Originally posted by Valua

I've never paid 50+ for a game in my life, and I never will, especially not for an MMO with a cash shop.

I guess that's all that needs to be said on this matter. You can wait for the usual discounts in retail after release, or just don't buy it at all. 

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Since it's B2P they can easily ask a higher retail price, without people actually whining about it.

Then again it's only about 5€'s higher than other online titles. GW2 is definately worth the money :J

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Originally posted by Amjoco

There is no monthly fee that is why Arenanet is charging the same price as a PS3 or XBox 360 game. Come on, do some research, this is the going price of most AAA games.

There's no monthly. There's daily or actually hourly charges for GW2.

The diffference is that these are fully optional.

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

The price didnt stop the 1000's of people buying it though :)

So I guess most like myself saw it as good money spent.

• Loser60Loser60 Member Posts: 170

The price is high because you won't have to pay a subscription fee, if you would buy SWTOR you would pay much more over time.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

I had three days of headstart on The Old Republic to test it, and then cancel my order beacuse I didn't like the game, which I thought was very generous of Bioware. 

you can do the same with GW2.

I did that with TERA a couple days ago (prepurchased, accessed beta, didnt like it, cancelled, got refund)

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841

I'm confused - granted im in NA the game cost me $59.00 for the SE and has no sub fee.  How is that ridiculous?  Does it cost more in EU?  Is that because of taxes or something?  as far as here goes 59.00$ has become the standard for just about any game.

• El_LionEl_Lion Member UncommonPosts: 154

Random P2P AAA MMORPG

- € 35 box + 1 month of free gametime
    - 11 x € 12

Year Total: € 167

Guild Wars 2 B2P AAA MMORPG

- € 55 box
    - FREE

Year Total: € 55

And don't come nagging with the cash shop crap, you can play and enjoy everything without paying a single € in the cashshop. And if you are so sure you can't, you still got € 112 left to spend compared to other games!

Eaglix

• MavacarMavacar Member Posts: 328
    Personally I've been trying to throw money at the screen for weeks but all that happend was that I had to buy a new screen ((coins * force) + screen = expensive)
  • Terminus-EstTerminus-Est Member UncommonPosts: 352

I think it is quite good marketing actually. Normally I would expect to spend £30 for the box (for a newly released MMO) and then about £8-9 per month. So £50 is like a normal MMO where I have paid for an extra two and a half months subs in advance. I imagine most MMOs lose many subscribers in the first 3 months, so I reckon this is a good business model.

• Asuran24Asuran24 Member Posts: 517

I can see where the fact of having a digital copy of the game, without havng a physical copy in case of issues could be a reason to not want to pay what would be full price for other games. I prefer to buy box copy over digital edtions, as for the kind of money i am going to pay i want to actually have somethign physical, also to me paying the same for just the program as you would for the box edition is rather stupid. Imo a digital edition should cost less as they are not going to have to send or produce anythign largely physical of the game, just having you download the game program (exceptions being any products from pr-ordering like statues or other such thigns that are awarded.). The op is talking more about having to pay full price for a digital copy as they would for a box copy, and in that way i cna see wherre they are coming from as there should be a dfferince in price between the two (since you are not getting, and so should not pay for the box of the game, but only the game program.)

• Terminus-EstTerminus-Est Member UncommonPosts: 352

Originally posted by crysent

I'm confused - granted im in NA the game cost me $59.00 for the SE and has no sub fee.  How is that ridiculous?  Does it cost more in EU?  Is that because of taxes or something?  as far as here goes 59.00$ has become the standard for just about any game.

The SE costs £50 in the UK, which is about $80.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Guild Wars2 and Diablo3  *cost the same*  in the USA

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

DONT buy this direct from ANet. You can get it for £39.99 from Play.com and get exactly the same benefits. 

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

To get the game version you want in these days is harder then getting to max level in any MMO. There are SE, DE, DDE, CE. Then there are version with and without beta access. And last but not least every shop and anet have different prices for those.

It's getting ridiculous. Anyway, got SE with beta access for 49 Euro at amazon.de. But it is already sold out. lol

Saw the same version at play.com for 39.99 british pounds which is ok imo. At least it says pre-purchase version there. Not 100 % sure if it includes beta access though. As I said, it's not easy to get what you look for.

P.S. arghs, stragen001 was faster. ;)

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533

I prefer this model because I will always be abe to log in and play whenever I want as long as the servers are up.

All other games even though you spent money on the box  or digital download you cannot access it unless you have a subscription. Basicly, buying the box for a sub based game in the end gets you nothing you can use unless you are willing to pay more.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Originally posted by Veshi

They dont seem too expensive to me seeing as there are no monthly costs. I think i spent alot more on other games over the years that required monthly fees.

I feel the same.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

well, answer is simple - if the price looks ridiculous, then dont buy it.

its up to seller to set the price as he see fit and up to buyer to decide if they want to pay it or not.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Why does Arenanet think they can charge this ammount? Because it's free to play (with a cash shop)? And I don't even get the retial box? Pathetic. 

I will make this very simple

BECAUSE THE GAME IS EXTREMELY OVERHYPED AND IS PROMISING TO REVOLUTIONIZE EVERY SINGLE LITTLE DETAIL OF THE MMORPG GENRE IN ONE DAY!!!

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

I''ve said this before:

Modern Warfare 3 was 60 euros. GW2 is 55 euros.

Bargain.

• VortigonVortigon Member UncommonPosts: 723

The basic version price is fair enough due to not having monthly fees.

~The digital deluxe and collectors editions are totally nuts.

The extra you get in these versions are a total joke compared with other games and are not worth anything.

---Without a release date I won't be buying any version and those that do are gullible IMO.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Originally posted by Puremallace

I will make this very simple

BECAUSE THE GAME IS EXTREMELY OVERHYPED AND IS PROMISING TO REVOLUTIONIZE EVERY SINGLE LITTLE DETAIL OF THE MMORPG GENRE IN ONE DAY!!!

ANet isn't hyping anything, the hype has been created by the overwhelming positive comments from the press beta and pretty much any hands on experience folks have had. The game is $60 USD, which has become the standard price for any major release.

Secondly, if anyone has an issue with the price, well don't buy it. Wait until the price drops or get it on sale.

This discussion has been closed.