Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 cash shop vs other games/MMOs

Comments

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Originally posted by Ceridith

Originally posted by ariboersma

snip

It could be because the more incriminating 'advantages' were hidden in the mysterious loot boxes. Just a guess...

we know (from leaks) what were in the loot boxes... random loot.. as in the same things the mobs drop >.< and if you mean the chests they drop the buffs and the same random loot.

Again, you're making the assumption that what was leaked covered everything. What you know is still limited to the scope of the leak.

so let me get this straight you think that there is some hidden rare item in these chests that make you way more powerful than anyone else? Seeing as how the specifically said this would not occur and they have been a trustworthy company so far.. I don;t see how you can think that or are you normally paranoid about things for no reason?

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

Originally posted by Wolvards

Originally posted by UOvet

Only people complaining about the cash shop are the people that can't read or don't understand what "p2w" means, just like most don't know what sandbox means.

I guess it's easy to make accusations about other posters claiming that they don't know what P2W is, when you yourself are entirely clueless about exactly what was in the CB1 cash shop.

Wait, what? a global horn? repair your stuff? level up a wee bit faster? soooo P2W.

You're making a rather foolhardy assumption that the CB1 cash shop was limited to the few things that were exposed from the leak.

And you are making the assumption that ANet is dumb enough to put in that kind of gear, READ what ANet says, not what MMORPG fan base says, do YOUR research, don't let others do it for you, and if you're going to leak CB1 CS pics, why the HELL would you NOT put in the P2W aspect of it?! THAT MAKES 0 SENSE, "let's see, today I am testing GW2 first closed beta for the cash shop..... O!!! I should leak some photos of it and cause a HUGE debate over all the fan sites of MMO's becuase i know it will get everyones attention, then, just to top it off, i'm not even going to put the P2W stuff in the leaked photosimage That should really stir some stuff up!"

It doesn't make sense. And me grabbing at the fact that those leaked photos were all the could be leaked, as in there isn't anything else, is not nearly as bad as you reaching for something that 1) hasn't been pictured 2) has not been talked about, and 3) goes against everything the devs have said 

Stop riding the invisible hate-wagon. Concern is completely fine, i understand it, but you are grabbing straws my friend. And the only reason i wrote this post is cause you called me "foolhardy" when in reality, i'm taking the facts as i see them, and you, are making assumptions on something based off other games. I could SOOOOOO be wrong about the CS. no doubt about that, but at this point you are wrong by making the assumptions.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Did someone pay to make D3 a MMO?!

Originally posted by Xthos

an MMO... but what? no idea what you are talking about.

I am making light of the op comparisson, why would you even try to compare a mmo with a non-mmo...Since it is all about what you can buy anymore, I figured I would ask if someone paid for the upgrade in status....

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

We need to see the cash shop for what it is: A Way for ANet to make more money

They are not doing it for any other reason than this. To make more money there needs to be things in the cash shop that people want. Now, funky clothes and pets etc - fluff items, are all well and good, and I really hope this is how the cash shop ends up, but I really dont think it will. 

To make money ANet need to put things in the cash shop that people really want. Are enough people goung to really want a different coloured hat etc enough to pay real money for it? Maybe, some people have more money than sense, but the earners on any cash shop I have ever seen are things like XP boosts, speed boosts - anything that gives the player an advantage in the game. People seem to want that and are willing to spend money to "get ahead".

This is a slippery slope to go down.

Currently there are no mounts in GW2. I bet there will be a couple of months after launch though - via the cash shop. As there is already a mechanism in the game that allows for speed boost outside of combat when weapons are not drawn then they could just add mounts as a "skin" that makes it look like you are on a mount but gives you no speed boost over people without a mount. But are enough people going to really want that? Maybe, as I said above, some people have more money than sense, but you can guarantee that people will want the mount if it gives them a speed boost over other players. 

Taking into account that the cash shop is a way to make money pure and simple which do you think they would go for? This is why the current trend for cash shops(not just in GW2) is a slippery slope. 

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

I am making light of the op comparisson, why would you even try to compare a mmo with a non-mmo...Since it is all about what you can buy anymore, I figured I would ask if someone paid for the upgrade in status....

From Diablofans.com:

"The fear is as with Diablo 2's third party vendors, a player willing to spend the money can simply buy their way to victory. Although Blizzard won't be creating, or selling items themselves the ability to buy items, and thus power still remains via purchasing from other players through the AH.

I do think the comparison is valid, since while the campaign is single-player, the PvP is obviously not. No it's not an MMO, but it does involve competition with other players in which a cash shop could give an advantage, similar to the complaints about GW2 WvW. Does that clarify the issue for you?

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

my simple philosophy for games with cash shops

if i can aquire all the items in the cash shop by simply playing the game then fine

if not i would have known before the game was released and not purchased

added after release i would stop playing/subscribing and boycott developer - again if items can not be aquired by simply playing the game

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

People complaining about pay2win usually have no idea what itt is. They just like the word.  They have never experienced it. It's like a 18 year old kid attempting to tell a war veteran how to fire on enemy targets because he's a world champ of Call 2 Duty. 

I've been in a pay2win game.   YOu will know when an item is needed to win.  They will tell you in game, yeah you can get this item but it will take you 2 weeks to get 1 and you need 5.  They will charge 10 bucks per this item.  there will not need to be a 10 page thread debating whether it's pay2win or not, even the most die hard fans will be able to see it.  

Anet has never done anytihing like this. They actually have cash shops in other games and have not.  Other successful MMOs have not had to institute such tactics either.  

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Originally posted by stragen001

We need to see the cash shop for what it is: A Way for ANet to make more money

They are not doing it for any other reason than this. To make more money there needs to be things in the cash shop that people want. Now, funky clothes and pets etc - fluff items, are all well and good, and I really hope this is how the cash shop ends up, but I really dont think it will. 

To make money ANet need to put things in the cash shop that people really want. Are enough people goung to really want a different coloured hat etc enough to pay real money for it? Maybe, some people have more money than sense, but the earners on any cash shop I have ever seen are things like XP boosts, speed boosts - anything that gives the player an advantage in the game. People seem to want that and are willing to spend money to "get ahead".

This is a slippery slope to go down.

Currently there are no mounts in GW2. I bet there will be a couple of months after launch though - via the cash shop. As there is already a mechanism in the game that allows for speed boost outside of combat when weapons are not drawn then they could just add mounts as a "skin" that makes it look like you are on a mount but gives you no speed boost over people without a mount. But are enough people going to really want that? Maybe, as I said above, soem people have more money than sense, but you can guarantee that people will want the mount if it gives them a speed boost over other players. 

Taking into account that the cash shop is a way to make money pure an simple which do you think they would go for? This is why the current trend for cash shops(not just in GW2) is a slippery slope. 

They may introduce mounts at some point, who knows? But from what I've seen, with the fast-travel teleport system it sort of makes them less than useful, IMO. But yes, at some point they MAY introduce desireable items to stimulate revenue, that is a reasonable concern though one with no evidence supporting it yet.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

The cash shop as people understand it to be at this point seems to be very similar to EVE.

You buy PLEX from CCP and then sell PLEX on the market for ISK.

You buy GEMS from ArenaNET and then sell GEMS on the market for GOLD.

I absolutely loved the economic system in EVE. Obviously they are far different in their complexity and scope. But certainly that system did not ruin the game. It's much easier to argue that EVE is pay to win because you actually can buy better stuff with ISK. In GW2 you really can't buy better stuff. And the guild buffs and siege equipment appears to be really cheap.

The bigger advantage to the GW2 system is that people can buy GEMS off the market in order to buy in store stuff. So players will actually be able to use in game gold to convert to cash shop items. I think for a player like me, this adds a nice option to the game that no other game I have played has.

I personally think people tend to have kneejerk reactions to cash shops. I know I used to back in the day. But looking at this one, it really does look to me like, at least so far, they are building a fair and interesting cash shop. More real life money spent does equal more easily attainable gold and cosmetic items. Hopefully, it also means that I get a better experience through free updates and content.

I think its a fair comparisson because both games are pay once, play online for as long as the game is online.They are both big name games with a huge following. Both have a money based feature that is in question for similar reasons.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

GW2 has certainly redefined the genre

Buying gold with real money is no longer P2W

• UOvetUOvet Member Posts: 514

Originally posted by Wolvards

Only people complaining about the cash shop are the people that can't read or don't understand what "p2w" means, just like most don't know what sandbox means.

I guess it's easy to make accusations about other posters claiming that they don't know what P2W is, when you yourself are entirely clueless about exactly what was in the CB1 cash shop.

Wait, what? a global horn? repair your stuff? level up a wee bit faster? soooo P2W.

You're making the assumption that what was leaked about the CB1 cash shop was all there was.

why on earth would someone go to the trouble of leaking that stuff, probably getting banned in the process to deliver only part of the stuff up there? 

It could be because the more incriminating 'advantages' were hidden in the mysterious loot boxes. Just a guess...

Shoot me this information because I would love to see it. Everything I've seen offers no advantage to players. Big deal, so someone can save some time leveling by buying an XP boost (basically mostly time saving/cosmetic stuff). Don't bring up influence either please since we've been over that a million times regarding Supply.

The day they start selling items you cannot obtain in game, permanent stats and things like this, then I can see an issue. I haven't seen any of this though. Everything I've seen is temporary, and nobody is going to win via PvP through some temporary rewards when many other factors can negate them.

Originally posted by Charlizzard

From Diablofans.com:

"The fear is as with Diablo 2's third party vendors, a player willing to spend the money can simply buy their way to victory. Although Blizzard won't be creating, or selling items themselves the ability to buy items, and thus power still remains via purchasing from other players through the AH.

I do think the comparison is valid, since while the campaign is single-player, the PvP is obviously not. No it's not an MMO, but it does involve competition with other players in which a cash shop could give an advantage, similar to the complaints about GW2 WvW. Does that clarify the issue for you?

I don't think the comparison is valid.

On the one hand, you have "rare items that only show up as drops" being bought for real money that make your character more powerful than another person.

On the other hand you have "guild buffs that can be bought for in game gold" that every guild will have access to.

I think that the 3rd party buying of items in Diablo 2 is FAR different than anything seen in the ArenaNet cash shop.

We can close this thread now, right?

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

Originally posted by niceguy3978

snip

Yeah, the ah is in beta.  As of right now it is 1.25$ for each sold item, and it is only deducted from sold items.  As of right now there is no fee for listing an item or a fee unless the item sells.

grrr to me this is like everything they have done thoughout the D3 betas.. each one they remove a great feature or add something making it worse.. WTF! At this point my husband has decided against buying it but I still am just to have the campaign experience, I am sure he will play mine as well but for a while now we knew it wouldn't be a long term playing experience like D2. Heh maybe its a good thing I didn;t pay attn to the AH in the beta =P I would have been mad for months!

This is better than I thought it would be.  I thought it would be ebay style where it cost money to list an item and money is also taken upon sale.  This is much better than I anticipated.  I'm sure it would have earned them more money to do it the ebay way rather than just upon completion of sale.

I don't think it is equal...MMOs offer more functionality, than the diablo franchise ever has.

I am a subscription, no cash shop person myself...So I am no champion of cash shops, I just think if you want to compare a mmo to something, you compare it to another mmo...Not a lobby rpg.

I think it offers a more fair/equal comparison....As most game anymore, they make you play online, console games, etc...I mean where would we stop the comparison, and what is equal...I just think it blurs any point being made, good or bad.
  • CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Shoot me this information because I would love to see it. Everything I've seen offers no advantage to players. Big deal, so someone can save some time leveling by buying an XP boost (basically mostly time saving/cosmetic stuff). Don't bring up influence either please since we've been over that a million times regarding Supply.

The day they start selling items you cannot obtain in game, permanent stats and things like this, then I can see an issue. I haven't seen any of this though. Everything I've seen is temporary, and nobody is going to win via PvP through some temporary rewards when many other factors can negate them.

Even if I, or anyone else, were in possession of such information, they wouldn't be able to disclose it without legal reprecussion.

I'll be glad when the NDA is finally lifted and the record can be set straight by those in the know.

snip

Yeah, the ah is in beta.  As of right now it is 1.25$ for each sold item, and it is only deducted from sold items.  As of right now there is no fee for listing an item or a fee unless the item sells.

grrr to me this is like everything they have done thoughout the D3 betas.. each one they remove a great feature or add something making it worse.. WTF! At this point my husband has decided against buying it but I still am just to have the campaign experience, I am sure he will play mine as well but for a while now we knew it wouldn't be a long term playing experience like D2. Heh maybe its a good thing I didn;t pay attn to the AH in the beta =P I would have been mad for months!

This is better than I thought it would be.  I thought it would be ebay style where it cost money to list an item and money is also taken upon sale.  This is much better than I anticipated.  I'm sure it would have earned them more money to do it the ebay way rather than just upon completion of sale.

I honestly think 1.25 is way more than the percentage they would get.. I seriously doubt most things will sell for $3.75 (going off the last info I remember being a 33% cut). I think most things would have sold for less than $1.. this forces the prices to be higher which I think is wrong.

Even if I, or anyone else, were in possession of such information, they wouldn't be able to disclose it without legal reprecussion.

I'll be glad when the NDA is finally lifted and the record can be set straight by those in the know.

I doubt anyone is looking through your mmoprg.com PMs considering all the sites that are up. If they cared THAT much there would be a lot more sites and other avenues of information I'm sure shut down. To be fair GW2 does have a lot of information/videos out compared to many other MMO quite a few months away and even ones with set dates (TSW).

I think you're full of it anyway :). Who says I don't have information? I don't, but I could easily say I do.

No one thinks that you are "in the know."

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by colddog04

Good, because I never said I was.

Originally posted by colddog04

Good, because I never said I was.

I never said that you said you were.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

I am confused who is rubber and who is glue?

This discussion has been closed.