Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter: Cryptic's Dark Horse Rising

Comments

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by Ozmodan

There is absolutely NO WAY Cryptic can ever make anything epic.  Unless you were saying that tongue in cheek.

CoH was pretty epic when it first came out.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

*tempted to change article title to Neverwinter: Cryptic's Dark Pony Rising*

• madjakemadjake Member UncommonPosts: 233

I played a mission of this at Pax East as a fighter type class.  Sadly I was in a rush and didn't  pay too much attention to specifics but it does look promising.  The combat was smooth and the overall quality seems very high. 

They were also giving out beta keys!

• BeachcomberBeachcomber Member Posts: 535

I will be trying this one out.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by MikeB

I approve of this change.

+10

• Badger86Badger86 Member Posts: 5

As a fan of 3.5, 4.0, D&D, Forgotten Realms, and MMORPGs, I am excited for this. As a fan of fairness in gaming, I am extremely concerned about the cash shop.

• ishistishist Member UncommonPosts: 213

4th edition? 4th edition D&D was already an MMO, without the PC. I don't even consider 4th edition to be D&D so I think I'll pass on this.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Originally posted by BillMurphy

Not Bill, but I know that a lot of D&D folks aren't so hot on 4th edition, and a lot of it has to do with (from what I understand) how MMO-like it is. That may suck for P&P but obviously works great for an MMO if the ruleset is already similar.

What he said. 4th Edition is MMO-like, and that's personally why I liked it for my friends and my own campaigns.  We're all MMO nerds primarily, and this brought the table-top closer to that.  I know not everyone likes it, but I do and that's why I'm a fan of it being in Neverwinter.

Fair enough.

Problem is that now we have two action D&D version MMOs. And zero tactic rpg D&D MMO.

Thanks god for Kickstarter, enabling gamers to be heared instead of investors that can only think "people want more action"

Now we are able to bring Shadowrun as turn based tactic game, and Wasteland as back to roots tactic rpg.

Cryptc NWN , is not D&D its just another action MMO with D&D flawor.

And if i need to choose Action MMO , i will choose one that uses rules created for action(like GW2). Not one that uses rules for turn based combat refitted for action

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

You really need a like feature :P

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

I found it funny that he just finished talking about there being 5-man dungeon content, then when she asked him about raids, he said, "Absolutely, at the end of each adventure zone, there's 5-man raid content."

uhh..?

• MackehMackeh Member Posts: 164

I will review this game right now using my powers of gaming experience:

COH in neverwinter skins, instanced zones seperated by huge walls.  All the indoor rooms you enter will have massive ceilings and huge doors.  The object of each quest will be to click a flashy thing.

The payment model will be as follows:

Monthly fee gets you 2 character slots, you can't have any more because the coding is such that the character slots have so much more data than other mmo character slots.  (you can ofc buy more slots for real money)

The game will launch to a fanfare of PR Bullshit to which all the fanboys will be mesmorized and go and pay £130.00 for a CE edition which contains a shitty resin model, a making of DVD, a map, soundtrack DVD and an ingame penis pet to remind themselves of what they actually are IRL.

Yes Craptic venture again into the world of MMO to spew forth another rushed out pile of bullshit, no thanks but I will enjoy watching the forums over the next 12 months, it should be hilarious. 

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

I do hope they do ADnD justice, they really disappointed me with Startrek online, maybe this game will be their redeeming factor in the future. They do seem to have different developers working on this game however then STO so maybe there is hope yet. The combat looks awesome so far, and i would definitely be interested in a persistant world, one that doesn't wait for you but happens even while you're not there.

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363

I will keep an eye on this one. I like DnD and Forgotten Realms.

Cryptic gets kind of a bum rap sometimes I think too.

A couple of things though.

Free to play. No client charge.

The good- It's free that much is obvious. Maybe PW realizes that Cryptic needs a boost to its reputation and a free offering is a good way to show that the problems of the past are just that. The past.

The bad - If they don't charge for the client, then how do they make money? I worry that the free client will be used as an excuse for requiring purchases from the Cash shop. (example- level 1-3 dungeons are free, gotta pay to unlock higher level zones.)

I think I would rather pay for the client and get a whole game IF that is how things would work out.

Much still remains to be seen.  Still it's nice to see the Forgotten Realms are not so forgotten after all.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

Originally posted by khelbon

Looks pretty damn good. I do kinda hate that most companies who make a D and D game always seem to wanna set them in the Forgotten Realm. I would LOVE to see one set in the Dragonlance realm! Or maybe even one of the other realms they have that are awsome.

But gimme a Dragonlance realm setting and I am all over it!

I would so love that too i liked the Dragonlance realm so much better.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

"...a polished, fun, and potentially epic MMORPG..."

Who writes this stuff? Same verbiage, different game, over and over again. Is there like a MMORPG draft copy for release floating around the internets or something?

/sigh

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Originally posted by itgrowls

Looks pretty damn good. I do kinda hate that most companies who make a D and D game always seem to wanna set them in the Forgotten Realm. I would LOVE to see one set in the Dragonlance realm! Or maybe even one of the other realms they have that are awsome.

Dragonlance or Dark Sun would be my picks. Dark Sun especially was such a different and satisfying take on the genre.

Who remembers: 

• nateslonateslo Member UncommonPosts: 49

Looks sweet, this is now my most anticipated game. Been a while since I've been this excited about a game.

Originally posted by Nevulus

Originally posted by itgrowls

Dragonlance or Dark Sun would be my picks. Dark Sun especially was such a different and satisfying take on the genre.

Who remembers: 

OMG i do, i would so love to have a game in that setting! Psionics was awesome!

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

I know I sound skeptical but Cryptic and Perfect World Entertainment , together, wow that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

And I do know free is good, but nothing is ever free, and with PWE involved I can see a lot of the good things in the game to make it fun will be in the CS. 

I would rather just pay my $15 a month and not have to worry about paying for content, character slots, bag slots, pay money every time I die, ect......

Originally posted by Zekiah

"...a polished, fun, and potentially epic MMORPG..."

Who writes this stuff? Same verbiage, different game, over and over again. Is there like a MMORPG draft copy for release floating around the internets or something?

/sigh

yeah remember this one?  "overall 9/10 rating" for SWTOR yeah i remember that one too. ....

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

Originally posted by Mackeh

I will review this game right now using my powers of gaming experience:

COH in neverwinter skins, instanced zones seperated by huge walls.  All the indoor rooms you enter will have massive ceilings and huge doors.  The object of each quest will be to click a flashy thing.

The payment model will be as follows:

Monthly fee gets you 2 character slots, you can't have any more because the coding is such that the character slots have so much more data than other mmo character slots.  (you can ofc buy more slots for real money)

The game will launch to a fanfare of PR Bullshit to which all the fanboys will be mesmorized and go and pay £130.00 for a CE edition which contains a shitty resin model, a making of DVD, a map, soundtrack DVD and an ingame penis pet to remind themselves of what they actually are IRL.

Yes Craptic venture again into the world of MMO to spew forth another rushed out pile of bullshit, no thanks but I will enjoy watching the forums over the next 12 months, it should be hilarious. 

I agree with everything other than the whole 130 CE edition. Mainly because it's going to be F2P isn't it?

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

As much as i dont generally like fantasy, this has a lot of draw for me. Cryptics great character creation, TPS, and a foundry.

One thing that has made me keep coming back to CoH for so long is playing other peoples creative stories in the Architect.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

2012 Sleeper Hit?

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• hardsun79hardsun79 Member UncommonPosts: 66

OMG what have they done to D&D, looks like one more asian grindfest :((

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

This could very well prove that Atari broke Cryptic and not Cryptic breaking games themselves.

I have to admit though. Cryptic games have the amazing ability of being fun to return to no matter how many times. What they need badly is a game that can keep their player base full time. Perhaps the Foundry system might be able to do that if it isn't some watered down mechanic.

You stay sassy!