Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let's slay the "hype monster" once and for all

Comments

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

I guess I would be somewhere in between the wow/tor fanboys who want gw2 to fail and the gw fanbooys who want wow/tor to fail. I just want a good/fun game to play. Age of Conan, Rift, Aion, TOR and Warhammer have all be dissapointments. Used to play wow but Ghostcrawler pretty much ruined the game. I'll be pre purchasing the game tomorrow, looking forward to the betas and to what for now appears to be a great game!

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by heartless

Originally posted by DarkPony

I have no objections to companies marketing their game but as someone who has thought up quite some campaigns himself and knows something about how you pull certain strings, I think what Anet has done is very clever. They really hit the mark with their marketing efforts.

Next to factual information, there's in fact a lot of veiled emotion, zeal and gospel wrapped around most of their key communication vehicles. (example) Every punch line they use is carefully written for maximum impact and often seperately recorded to get the tone of voice and non verbal communication just right.

Add to that the hugely compelling music, pretty overviews of their stunning world and a very expressive and original corporate identity as cariers and you have most of us picking up pitchforks to join the imminent mmorpg revolution.

To say they haven't tried to hype their game to their best extent is amusing. Of course they did, very much so, and they did a tremendous job at it too.

Hold your horses there, DP! (no pun intended). You mean to tell me that ANet is actually running some sort of marketing campaign for their product? I have never been so shocked in my life. The gall of these people...

Yes, with the intent to build hype around their product. All I'm saying is that they did a good job at it and we can't blame 'em for that.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Originally posted by GWFandaddy

Originally posted by Ceridith

How do you know they're troll posts?

Having read through and participated in numerous posts regarding the RMT/cash shop in GW2, I've seen several instances of people who are obviously caught up in the hype surrounding the game, outright bash and insult posters who have reservations about how the cash shop will turn out. Discussions of "I hope they don't add that to the cash shop," and "I feel that being in the cash shop will be P2W," are often met with 'fanboys' wasting no time in calling the OP an idiot for feeling the way they do, because 'ANet would never do anything bad'.

Really?  Cash shop?  There's just no getting away from it is there?  It's like, I could start a thread, "Did Mary really have a little lamb", and BAM, "yeah, she got it from the cash shop".

OK, now that was hilarious!

And to answer Ceridith, just reread my last paragraph. Context man, context.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Having read through and participated in numerous posts regarding the RMT/cash shop in GW2, I've seen several instances of people who are obviously caught up in the hype surrounding the game, outright bash and insult posters who have reservations about how the cash shop will turn out. Discussions of "I hope they don't add that to the cash shop," and "I feel that being in the cash shop will be P2W," are often met with 'fanboys' wasting no time in calling the OP an idiot for feeling the way they do, because 'ANet would never do anything bad'.

Really?  Cash shop?  There's just no getting away from it is there?  It's like, I could start a thread, "Did Mary really have a little lamb", and BAM, "yeah, she got it from the cash shop".

That's what happens when a game contains a controversial 'feature'.

There are a lot of people that are concerned about it, so it's one of the most debated issues regarding the game. Which is entirely relevant to this thread because there are a lot of fanboys and haters on boths sides spewing their one-sided views at each other regarding the cash shop. Some haters are convinced it will be the downfall of the game, while those caught up in the hype refuse to believe that a single thing can go wrong from it's inclusion.

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

That's what happens when a game contains a controversial 'feature'.

There are a lot of people that are concerned about it, so it's one of the most debated issues regarding the game. Which is entirely relevant to this thread because there are a lot of fanboys and haters on boths sides spewing their one-sided views at each other regarding the cash shop. Some haters are convinced it will be the downfall of the game, while those caught up in the hype refuse to believe that a single thing can go wrong from it's inclusion.

I thought we beat the cash-shop dead last week, just let it go Cerideth... Just let it gooooo

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

I have no objections to companies marketing their game but as someone who has thought up quite some campaigns himself and knows something about how you pull certain strings, I think what Anet has done is very clever. They really hit the mark with their marketing efforts.

Next to factual information, there's in fact a lot of veiled emotion, zeal and gospel wrapped around most of their key communication vehicles. (example) Every punch line they use is carefully written for maximum impact and often seperately recorded to get the tone of voice and non verbal communication just right.

Add to that the hugely compelling music, pretty overviews of their stunning world and a very expressive and original corporate identity as cariers and you have most of us picking up pitchforks to join the imminent mmorpg revolution.

To say they haven't tried to hype their game to their best extent is amusing. Of course they did, very much so, and they did a tremendous job at it too.

Hold your horses there, DP! (no pun intended). You mean to tell me that ANet is actually running some sort of marketing campaign for their product? I have never been so shocked in my life. The gall of these people...

Yes, with the intent to build hype around their product. All I'm saying is that they did a good job at it and we can't blame 'em for that.

Exactly. The company has to hype their product. It is our job as smart consumers to determine whether or not the product meets the hype.

Of course many will just blindly buy into the hype and when the game does not live up to their expectations, come back to the forums and throw a hissy fit.

Edit: Oh and CASH SHOP.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

The Hype Monster is an invincible Dynamic Event out of Anet's control. We can't kill it I say. It just keeps getting stronger the more people participate.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by Wolvards

I thought we beat the cash-shop dead last week, just let it go Cerideth... Just let it gooooo

I was using th cash shop discussion as an example oh how polarized and one-sided people can get in their views over the game.

Does anyone actually know what will be available in the cash shop? Or is it all speculation? As long as it does not take away too much from the joys of playing, I have no issue with a cash shop. WOW has a cash shop it never took joys of gameplay from me; how many people do you see running around with their spectral steed (correct name?). If the cashs hop has items which will alter the gameplay then I would be dissapointed, similarly to when WOW introduced pvp gear. I guess we'll see!

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by Connmacart

The Hype Monster is an invincible Dynamic Event out of Anet's control. We can't kill it I say. It just keeps getting stronger the more people participate.

Oh, that's actually a very nice analogy.

To joocheese: A screenshot was leaked off the cashshop in the current Beta, but everything currently in the cashshop is subject to change. So basically nobody knows what will be in the final version of the cashshop.

I was using th cash shop discussion as an example oh how polarized and one-sided people can get in their views over the game.

I know, but a lot of other people don't :) Don't give them a reason to start! haha

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I must of missed the memo...

I look forward to the WvWvW, and hope it is done well...

The dynamic events, seem like regional quest loops....It is a simplistic view, but I am not hyped by it, I hope it is atleast somewhat enjoyable to do....

The crafting, I am worried about, since it is not a gear driven game supposedly, what can I really harvest/craft that I will really care about too much....

The cash shop, never been a fan, and it is not final yet...But certainly not hyped about it....

Open world content....Sounds decent....

No carrot/stick, daily stuff, sounds good too, we will see....

After saying all of that, I plan on getting it, unless something changes my mind, and I am maybe 60/40 on pre-puchasing it....Still debating with myself...

I must of recieved my hype vacination, either way, if I get it and don't think its great, it isn't the end of the world, I got TOR, played it for the free month (was a little forced towards the end), and I consider that I got my money worth, just wasn't worth paying a sub for...I imagine I will get that much out of GW2....I also do not read every bit of information, and I didn't even peak at the cash shop leak until a couple days ago, due to seeing so many threads...

Maybe I am just too cynical now, after 5-6 years of mmos that I consider to be generic/boring......I just don't get this 'hype', that anyone that is looking forward to playing GW2 is an ANET zombie...

• SomsbalSomsbal Member Posts: 222

This thread is now about the cash shop.

Originally posted by joocheese

Does anyone actually know what will be available in the cash shop? Or is it all speculation? As long as it does not take away too much from the joys of playing, I have no issue with a cash shop. WOW has a cash shop it never took joys of gameplay from me; how many people do you see running around with their spectral steed (correct name?). If the cashs hop has items which will alter the gameplay then I would be dissapointed, similarly to when WOW introduced pvp gear. I guess we'll see!

Don't go down this path, just stay away from it :) there are 20 other threads on this exact topic.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by brody71

these "what does hype really mean?" threads are becoming more common than ebola.  is there a point to this?

Yeah, there are some who want to justify the hype surrounding GW2

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by Somsbal

What else is new

haha, ok, I'll stop there then. I will pre purchase the game tomorrow and am greatly looking forward to the betas. Unlike all the other games that have failed miserably (tor, rift, aion, age of conan, warhammer), I'm hoping against all hope that GW2 is different and fun to play

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

What else is new

I can't wait until the game launches. The first thing I'm going to do is buy myself a whole crapload of unfair advantages at the cash shop. That'll teach 'em.

• GWFandaddyGWFandaddy Member Posts: 180

There are any number of threads in which cash shop, p2w is being, or has been discussed.  Please stay on topic.

What else is new

I can't wait until the game launches. The first thing I'm going to do is buy myself a whole crapload of unfair advantages at the cash shop. That'll teach 'em.

Don't do it! Turn this into a CS thread i mean. NO!

What else is new

Heartless, hope to see you in wvw, look forward to kicking your  cash-shopped ass! :-p

What else is new

Don't do it!

Oh I'll do it. Just watch me!

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Originally posted by Bunks

Originally posted by k-damage

Originally posted by brody71

these "what does hype really mean?" threads are becoming more common than ebola.  is there a point to this?

Because a lot of people seem to be unable to get along with something being hyped, whatever the reasons are. So they jump on the hate boat in order to feed their unacceptance of the hype, without ever trying to understand why it is hyped.

But I grant you that point : trying to explain why something is exciting to someone who can't stand excitement is like trying to open a blindman's eyes.

edit : great post, Bunks.

It goes both ways, though. There are people who are so excited over an upcoming game, basing their undying devotion on the meagre scraps of media that is carefully picked through before being tossed to the public at large. Any attempt to raise legitimate concerns or criticisms by those who aren't blindly swooning over the game are met with unbridled hatred by those who feel said upcoming game is a gift from god.

People are too damn quick to label on both sides. If someone is caught up in the hype they immediately assume anyone who doesn't feel the same as them is a hater or troll. Just the same there are also people who think that anyone caught up in the hype is a brainless sheep.

All I can say from what I know of the game, is that GW2 looks to be a decent game, but the hype surrounding the game is without question outpacing reality.

The key word here is legitimate. That unbridled hatred you see is when the vast majority of these concerns are either complet misinformation or is born of pure speculation.

All you need to do is look at the bulk of the "concern" threads and you quickly realize the vast majority of them are complete troll posts. I have concerns and complaints and have posted a few, even was called a hater by one of those "rabid" fans you speak of. But is it pure devotion or just people having knee jerk reactions to the wave of idiot threads being posted hourly.

It may explain it, but it doesn't excuse it, I get that. But it does need to be put in context when throwing labels around. People like myself are excited for the game, but to say it's being hyped as some second coming, is just people not understanding why others are excited about what they see.

You say that you personally rasied some legitimate concerns and were even labelled a "hater". Knowing what I have read from you in the past, if someone was calling you a "hater" of the game... I would have to say it leans more towards blind devotion rather then knee jerk reaction. I say this because I would never even think to call you a hater of this game... most of what I have read from you has been completely positive on the subject. 

Just as there are trolls making post to bash this game, there are an equal amount of blind devoties that have that same reaction anytime you question anything about the game.... and it shouldn't be excused for any reason. Just as trolling and bashing the game just to bash it should not be excused. 

I will admit... it's hard to understand something when you're not allowed to ask any questions. It's either, love it or leave it around here with that game. 

Originally posted by joocheese

What else is new

Heartless, hope to see you in wvw, look forward to kicking your  cash-shopped ass! :-p

It's not going to happen. I'll just use some of my unfair cash shop advantages.

haha... I'll find a way, even if I have to use the unfair cash shop advantages myself! HEARTLESS, YOU'RE GOING DOWN!!

This discussion has been closed.