Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

a p2p browser??

IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

having looked at this game over 2 months ago at random, it looks interesting. though i dont personally believe in paying for a hex-map browser game. 

i know its just 5 bucks ect but the fact its a browser game, with graphics reminising 1994 and requiring community made content to produce replayablity it kinda worries me. 

i'v dabbled in the STO community missions and those kinda scared me with the confusing text and language issues that creep up from time to time, by fan made content.  how will potential games deal with "bablefish" errors?

dont get me wrong, im used to having to self translate text in games having played far too many CB's of asian grinder games. i would just rather not have to pay money to do so. 

along with the fact its a browser game :/ which is to me is kind of being overly milked now by cash grab companies it seems. 

has anyone actually invested time and energy in to this game trying out/making content for it??

Comments

• NyhmNyhm Member Posts: 82

Thanks for your feedback, Ichmen.

I must stress that Island Forge is _not_ a browser game! This was an error by MMORPG.com (and they have yet to respond to my request to fix their mistake).

Island Forge is available for download for PC/Mac/Linux!

Regarding the graphics - That's why it's the brand-new old-school MMORPG. I love the classic console games, and wanted Island Forge to hearken back to that era.

Player-created content is certainly tricky. There is a lot of buzz about it, and very few companies willing to give it a try. We're just a tiny indie operation (me), looking to form a nice community of creative players who enjoy designing their own islands and stories for others to explore.

Not every island has to offer the most thrilling tale ever told - there's great personal reward in having others enjoy the content you've created, and that's the community we'd like to foster.

Regarding payment, we don't have corporate backing or the like to run the game for free. By subscribing to Island Forge, you're directly contributing to its support. This in turn allows us to give back to the community with further improvement, expansions, and eventually other interesting games. That's the beauty if the indie gaming community. (Certainly not a cash grab business model!)

In any case, I appreciate you taking the time to post your thoughts. I'm very open to community input, so further feedback is most welcome!

Island Forge: Create Islands with Stories for Others to Explore!
    Free-to-Play with Membership and Upgrade options!

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

Originally posted by Nyhm

Thanks for your feedback, Ichmen.

I must stress that Island Forge is _not_ a browser game! This was an error by MMORPG.com (and they have yet to respond to my request to fix their mistake).

Island Forge is available for download for PC/Mac/Linux!

Regarding the graphics - That's why it's the brand-new old-school MMORPG. I love the classic console games, and wanted Island Forge to hearken back to that era.

Player-created content is certainly tricky. There is a lot of buzz about it, and very few companies willing to give it a try. We're just a tiny indie operation (me), looking to form a nice community of creative players who enjoy designing their own islands and stories for others to explore.

Not every island has to offer the most thrilling tale ever told - there's great personal reward in having others enjoy the content you've created, and that's the community we'd like to foster.

Regarding payment, we don't have corporate backing or the like to run the game for free. By subscribing to Island Forge, you're directly contributing to its support. This in turn allows us to give back to the community with further improvement, expansions, and eventually other interesting games. That's the beauty if the indie gaming community. (Certainly not a cash grab business model!)

In any case, I appreciate you taking the time to post your thoughts. I'm very open to community input, so further feedback is most welcome!

thats a pretty impressive ideal you have, hopefully it works out well for you.   i do hope this game lasts a good while, as frankly i have been looking more at indie games for enjoyment and less AAA companies.  will there be moderation on the player made quests?  as one of the issues with STO is players make semi piss poor missions that dont really work. 

though they rely on the community to rate the missions. is that going to be a similar idea?? as a means to regulate the less then enjoyable or vulgar quests?

• NyhmNyhm Member Posts: 82

Thanks for your follow-up questions, Ichmen. I think getting into indie games is a breath of fresh air from the bombardment of AAA titles.

Regarding island regulation, there are Rules of Conduct, prohibiting some types of player-created content, which would result in moderation. Players can rate each other's islands (and issue complaints of inappropriate content) at the town Wishing Well.

Each island's overall rating can be seen at any Dock. Lower-rated islands sink to the bottom of the Dock's island listings. In addition to ratings, visitation count is also available at the town Signpost.

Have a look at the online Atlas.

Regarding islands that "don't really work," the Island Builder enforces some structural rules, to ensure that islands can function in the world. However, it is entirely possible for an author to create story logic that does not play out correctly. Players may rate such islands as they see fit.

By the way - you speak in the future tense ("will there be..."), but you can try all of this right now. It's true that I'm still running beta (and there will be a few bits to tweak and fix), but Island Forge is fully playable.

Thanks for your interest - give it a try and let me know what you think.

Island Forge: Create Islands with Stories for Others to Explore!
    Free-to-Play with Membership and Upgrade options!