Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OMG !!! - Is anyone still running this website or is it just an Ad base?

13»

Comments

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by Admin

Originally posted by Hatewall

So Admin, whose office has the red phone that goes off anytime a comment is made about swtor that isn't glowing?

Sorry, but there is an agenda with certain titles on this site.

Well, I would disagree with you.  There is no agenda from my point of view.  If my moderators have a personal one - that could be - again, I don't really follow the forums that often. 

Almost all of our moderating is done via the "report" tool that users use to point out rule violations.  With a title like SWTOR there are a lot of haters, but still a lot of fans - so both sides of the fence are using the report system to point moderators to posts that violate our rules.

In almost all of the complaints I have personally fielded over the years about deleted posts or moderation because of "game bias", I almost always found that while someone was criticizing a game - they violated our rules at the same time.

If you browse our forums you will see a LOT of critical and negative posts about all games.  Why would we let those stand and delete other ones?  Typically it is either because a) the post complied with our rules or b) the moderators have not seen it yet.

OR..... a nasty cabal of negative posters have pooled their resources and payed you off. That's the truth isn't it? ISN'T IT!!??

Hey "MMORPG must be a payolla scam" posters, if you are going to subscribe to batsh*t insane conspiracy theories, why can only the ones you LIKE be true?

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Same bs post every 2 months or so, can't the mods just sticky one of these (and leave it out of the 'Recent' list) so we don't have to have to the same inane discussion. Post, read, visit or do not, it is your choice to do so, it is not your right to dictate the terms.

For balance, it's highly unlike any of you have been banned more frequently than I have for more stupid reasons than I have, but I don't have to come here if I don't want to. You want to excercise your rights? Do so by starting your own site or visiting one more to your tastes.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

And going back to the topic at hand here.  We are seriously looking at getting the game list sorted out.  We took initiative on this months ago and while there have been improvements made they are not up to my satisfaction and I am going to make sure we have a better game plan. 

The home page uncoming game list is frankly embarassing and we are looking at this too - I think our data entry person entered "2011" when he meant "2012" - as we all know this happens to the best of us right after the new year.  Our system just shows the top 10 games with the oldest dates that are not "released" status.  Obviously we need to put some safeguards in place to keep this from being possible.

Thank you for the feedback too!

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

And going back to the topic at hand here.  We are seriously looking at getting the game list sorted out.  We took initiative on this months ago and while there have been improvements made they are not up to my satisfaction and I am going to make sure we have a better game plan. 

I would advise to take suggestions from your user base. Open a thread with a request for suggestions to get ideas rolling. Make it clear that it will be a heavily moderated thread and that all responses beside suggestions and discussions about the game list will be deleted.

Yes, I know, there are quite some tools around here, equally there are quite some smart people that might want to throw in an idea or two. :)

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by Epicent

Originally posted by MMOarQQ

Seriously?

LOLOLOLOLOLOL SO WIN!!!!!

hahahahahahaha

you sir has won whole thread :-)

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

no idea why you put up a screen from the last year, here is what you see atm tho:

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

Originally posted by Breezeycouk

Originally posted by BartDaCat

Originally posted by just1opinion

Your poll doesn't give enough choices, sorry.

I agree.  It doesn't offer enough choices to be a valid poll worthy of "Focus Group" status, thus, we will not be able to fund your thread with more advertising dollars.

As previously stated - I am concerned over splitting the vote - I had hoped to be present a simple choice (But I accept the error of not giving a "None of the Above" option)

I maybe a little out of touch after not really visting the site for so long but any advice on how to present polls in future would be gratfully recieved to make sure I am in line with current thinking

It was just a little light-hearted ribbing.  I was poking a little fun at the expense of your "ad base" comment.  It's actually interesting how this thread fleshed out, and I'm glad to see that the site admin added their input.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Originally posted by fenistil

Originally posted by BillMurphy

Hey guys,

Just popping in to tell you that you can refer all Game List information to Jim Moreno.  He's culling through the list from A-Z and adding new games as we get them.  Please be patient, as it's not exactly a super-quick undertaking when the list is 600+ titles now.

Jimmoreno at MMORPG dot com

Thanks!

It is understandable but quite a lot of games have information that is not-valid for years.  + some of them are really quite big titles (either past or still present) so yeah. 

I always found this kind of odd myself. How does a website dedicated (at least mostly) to MMORPGs have such outdated info about such major games? As you note, some of them aren't exactly obscure and under the radar.

Just when game actuall release or change it business model or reveal it's business model or reveal it's release date ,etc - when someone is writing news about it maybe he could just check game info as well and write a note to person responsibile?

Yep, that would seem to be the most organized and "real time" way to handle it. "Oh, such and such MMO is changing to a F2P model as of such-and-such date. Okay, mark the calendar so I can update the entry on the list when it makes the change. I would think it's not that big a deal to update it, if the website's back-end is well organized, some kind of CMS is being used, etc.

Your internal organisation is your business and you surely know better and growing game's list not making this easier ,but really quality of those very basic information took a nose dive quite a long time ago.

Many years ago when I was not registered I would refer to mmorpg's as a source often in my posts in other fourms or just when I was looking info myself.

Not anymore - cause you're just soo out of date or sometimes even wrong :/

Or sometimes weeks behind the times in releasing news articles. I've seen articles updated as "recent news" covering things that happened over a month prior to them being published to the site. It definitely makes you scratch your head.  A month in the gaming world is a very long time.

I thnk it'd be better in those cases to maybe set a "cut-off" period for news. A news update should be covered here within a week of being announced by the company, or it doesn't get mentioned. Mayyyyyybe a couple days longer. But beyond that, it should just be seen as a missed opportunity and left alone to make way for something more recent. 

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

Should be easy for the guy to change the list cus all he rly needs to do is look at some gaming news sites since whe can obviously say he wont be the first one making the change  saying it is becouse the list is 600+ is not a good even if he would only put 1 minute a week on this site there couldnt be things left from months ago.

And that this site is a fontain of ads is not new.. i personaly go here for the forum wich does get moderated heavily but for news this is not the place.

There are also alot of hidden ads  like things that look like they are giving you news but its filled with ads.

• ZillenZillen Member Posts: 141

So Admin, whose office has the red phone that goes off anytime a comment is made about swtor that isn't glowing?
    Well, I would disagree with you.  There is no agenda from my point of view.  If my moderators have a personal one - that could be - again, I don't really follow the forums that often. 
    Almost all of our moderating is done via the "report" tool that users use to point out rule violations.  With a title like SWTOR there are a lot of haters, but still a lot of fans - so both sides of the fence are using the report system to point moderators to posts that violate our rules.
    In almost all of the complaints I have personally fielded over the years about deleted posts or moderation because of "game bias", I almost always found that while someone was criticizing a game - they violated our rules at the same time.
    If you browse our forums you will see a LOT of critical and negative posts about all games.  Why would we let those stand and delete other ones?  Typically it is either because a) the post complied with our rules or b) the moderators have not seen it yet.

take a look at the warnings on my account. how many of those were violating a rule? maybe one where i said another member was a 'piece of work"

Per our policy I won't discuss your actions in a public forum.  But you can email me at admin AT mmorpg.com and I will gladly review these for you...even on Easter when my wife and kids are looking at me like the a-hole daddy working on their special day ;-)

Au contraire, mon frere. I think the guy questioning your authority as an educated man and moderator (and henceforth deconstructing your holiday) is the a-hole here. I, like many here, appreciate your work, and your graciousness in taking the diplomatic step of trying to explain your perfectly reasonable actions to the misinformed.

Top job mods. Keep up the good work :)

I'm really sick of the whole "There's a massive fanbase for X", or "Y would be a WoW-killer if it just had a chance".

There is no massive conspiracy waiting in the MMO playerbase.

There are no "sleeper-agent fans" waiting to convert once the X or Y is unleashed on the world.

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

The home page uncoming game list is frankly embarassing and we are looking at this too - I think our data entry person entered "2011" when he meant "2012" - as we all know this happens to the best of us right after the new year.  Our system just shows the top 10 games with the oldest dates that are not "released" status.  Obviously we need to put some safeguards in place to keep this from being possible.

Thank you for the feedback too!

Also at times at the Free MMOs to Play or Download Now! on the homepage it shows p2p games at times

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

take a look at the warnings on my account. how many of those were violating a rule? maybe one where i said another member was a 'piece of work"

The insanely obtuse and commonsense-defying reasoning of the moderation team is a whole other topic entirely.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

The list of games on the site is woefully out of date. It shouldn't take weeks, months or years to catch these (for the most part). Make it a bi-monthly or quarterly 'to-do' and after the 1st big house cleaning, it won't take an hour.

So now the derailed train as returned to the tracks. Chug on!

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

We encourage users to complain and share all feedback (if constructive) - and I don't really get involved with forum moderation but our Community Manager was given direction by us in management years ago to clean things up a bit because we had a LOT of users complaining about all the anger on our forums.  Mike took steps to try and contain all the negativity while still allowing people to post their views - I think he did a lot of this by moving it into sticky threads and requiring people to elaborate more about why they don't like a game, etc.

First, I wanted to say thanks for the responses and I'm glad you guys are looking at revamping the games list. It really does need it.

Secondly, while I understand you have limited contact with the forums, I would say that they are not much different now from when your Community Manager gave you direction some years back. If anything, it's gotten worse. Maybe it's due to more AAA titles being released (higher traffic volume), but on any given day, the majority of 'hot topics' are usually hate or trolling threads. Nothing really constructive about them and they almost always get locked. However, I have noticed that it usually takes days for this to happen, sometimes even weeks.

Seems like there's still a lot of work to be done to restore this site's sense of community to the point it was at nearly a decade ago.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by TangentPoint

Originally posted by fenistil

Originally posted by BillMurphy

Hey guys,

Just popping in to tell you that you can refer all Game List information to Jim Moreno.  He's culling through the list from A-Z and adding new games as we get them.  Please be patient, as it's not exactly a super-quick undertaking when the list is 600+ titles now.

Jimmoreno at MMORPG dot com

Thanks!

It is understandable but quite a lot of games have information that is not-valid for years.  + some of them are really quite big titles (either past or still present) so yeah. 

I always found this kind of odd myself. How does a website dedicated (at least mostly) to MMORPGs have such outdated info about such major games? As you note, some of them aren't exactly obscure and under the radar.

More things to do than there are hours in the day, more than likely. It's probably one of those annoying tasks that requires a lot of maitainance but not enough to warrant a dedicated person. If so, then it becomes a low priority side job, sitting behind news coverage, interviews, con/expo reporting, video production, art/asset updating and all the other content that is kept current and up=to-date

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• manowar88manowar88 Member UncommonPosts: 85

x1muft.png

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Breezeycouk

Apologies that it doesn't give the none of the above vote ( I forgot to add that)

What other options would you like to see?

My concern was that I didn't dilute the voting streams...

Maybe the choice that it's still a good community site that just needs some attention and updating?  I mean, we're all here giving our reviews and opinions and THAT part of the site is still up and going....for that matter, so are the blogs and actually, the only area that seems to need updating is the one you mentioned.  I don't see the big deal, as they ARE working on it.  Maybe you should start your own site if you think you could do so much better?

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club