Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The search begins....Hardcore PVP MMO

I'm looking for a PVP MMO to start fresh on. If you think WoW is a pvp MMO, dont bother replying.

Shadowbane looks to be a good option, but I hear that it's dying fast. Same thing with DAoC. EVE looks pretty cool, but I'm not into scifi. So, does anyone have a suggestion for a hardcore PVP MMO? Any Shadowbane players able to tell me if its too late to make a name for myself?

I'm looking to stay in a game for 2+ years, so if its at the end of its lifespan..no go.

Anyway, Ideas?

Comments

• GreatnessGreatness Member UncommonPosts: 2,180
    Lineage 2 or Lineage 1. Both are hardcore PvP. And since your gonna stay for 2+ years, cause lvling is really hard but you can take breaks with the PvPing, all the servers are probably having the alliance dramas and stuff(intense, atleast in my server, Erica, where you either for or against one of the alliances, it is hard to be neutral lol). I am only lvl 32(played since na closed beta, off and on, only rerolled once... and that reroll was from a lvl 20 lol) and have been in probably 50-60 PvP matches already, maybe more.

~Greatness~

Currently Playing:
    Nothing

• scaramooshscaramoosh Member Posts: 3,424

i think eve online has to be the most hardcore PVP out of any mmorpg

due to it being forced and unforgiving

---------------------------------------------
    Don't click here...no2

• doobsterdoobster Member Posts: 736
    Wait for Darkfall.
  • knightknifeknightknife Member Posts: 384

wait for age of conan or ROMA VICTOR!!!

or play runescape it has a zone PvP and if you die you lose all your items if your the attacker unless you have protect item prayer....but it has really bad graphics and the community is immature. So i dont play anymore

• AnimefeendAnimefeend Member Posts: 7
    Shadowbane is actually doing better right now, there are lots of old guilds coming back for the lore server (which is mainly just restrictions on what races/classes can be in what guild charter type, which is making things pretty interesting).  If you're considering checking out Shadowbane, the coming weeks when the lore server comes up would be the time to do it. 

-SilentWarlock

• Nathan@MMOCNathan@MMOC Rapid Reality DevMember Posts: 28

Originally posted by slaani
    I'm looking for a PVP MMO to start fresh on.

So you think you're ready for a hardcore MMORPG? How about one with nearly unrestricted PvP and permadeath? Is that hardcore enough? To read more, click here.

If you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

_____ ____ ___ __ _
    Visit MMO Center today to discover the future of subscription MMORPGs! Brought to you by Rapid Reality.

• Dirk_GentlyDirk_Gently Member Posts: 193

Face of Mankind which is in Open Beta is hardcore PvP (only PvP tbh) and Neocron 2 is increasingly hardcore too (and decreasingly populated - spot the link).

A good wife deserves more than half the praise, just as a bad one deserves more than half the blame. - Tacitus

• BigPeelerBigPeeler Member Posts: 1,270

Lineage 2 is a good PvP MMORPG, especially if you're planning on staying 2+ years. It has an open penalty based PvP system, which allows you to kill anybody, anywhere (not inside towns of course)... There are also many dueling arena's and such where you can fight with other players, penalty-free...

Then there's always things like castle sieges and clan/alliance wars...

The only problem is it will be quite some time before you can prove usefull in any kind of PvP, since the game is grind-heavy (although it's been lightened in rescent chronicle's) and VERY level/equipment-biased in PvP... expect to grind long and hard if you expect to take down anybody... but if you're looking to play long-term, it's deffinatly a good place to be... in 2 years you should have no problem being obscenely high level (maybe even 75 w/subclass) with crazy gear...

There really hasn't been a better time to play Lineage 2... patches/chronicle's have really turned the game around since back in it's Prelude/C1 days... Also GM's have really been cracking down on botters/adena farmers... not to mention C3 just added a buttload of new content...

[edit] let me just add that Eve-Online is also a good PvP title, but the problem I have with it is it plays a bit slow... getting skills really involves no work from the player (aside from picking which one you want next) and can take obscene amounts of time if you lack the appropriate stats...

--------------------------------------

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

I'm looking for a PVP MMO to start fresh on. If you think WoW is a pvp MMO, dont bother replying.
    Shadowbane looks to be a good option, but I hear that it's dying fast. Same thing with DAoC. EVE looks pretty cool, but I'm not into scifi. So, does anyone have a suggestion for a hardcore PVP MMO? Any Shadowbane players able to tell me if its too late to make a name for myself?
    I'm looking to stay in a game for 2+ years, so if its at the end of its lifespan..no go.
    Anyway, Ideas?

Irth Online is a PvP MMO that is still in Beta, if you are a dedicated gamer I would say sign up for sure. It is open PvP with FULL corpse looting and a very intriguing ruleset. You still have a chance to impact the finished game also, I have made suggestions that will be implemented. It is fully hardcore and it has awesome graphics. Think 3d UO pre-tramell with good graphics.

Sign up at www.IrthOnline.com have a peek at the site and see if you like it.image

• a3specsupraa3specsupra Member Posts: 44
    Try gunz online! its a pretty good MMO game and it has that certain RPGish shooting type kill em game.... plue you face nothing but other players.
  • slaanislaani Member Posts: 14

Thank you for all of your responses.

Lineage 2 sounds like a good option, but how does PVP work? Are there penalties for dying in PVP and rewards for winning? Item loot?

EDIT: Same questions for ShadowBane, as well.

• fishercfisherc Member Posts: 134

Asheron's call DARKTIDE SERVER is pretty good for PvP.

every time you die you get a 5% Ability penatly until your work it off by hunting monsters so the less you die, the less hunting you'll have to do and you know that by killing your opponent you are making him have to work off the penalty.

You drop items on death and money.  It's based on value so you can put death items on your character to reduce the risk that your used items will drop to pretty much nil, but it does happen when someone gets caught off guard and without death items that you'll get their armor set hehe.

it's OPEN PvP.  Non of that Kingdom VS Kingdom crap.  You can join whatever guild you want regardless.

Shadowbane is point and click... That's not PvP... that's a click fest.  I had high hopes for that game... it failed me based on the clicking. lol.  I haven't tried it in awhile, maybe they added some character movement to the keyboard?

For Lineage 2: There is always a penalty for dying. Exp loss(pretty big if your getting higher lvl), and have chance to drop. There are PvP arenas also where you do not lose anything but PvPing outside is amazing, specially the guild ones where it is just insane.

~Greatness~

Currently Playing:
    Nothing

• MrPopovMrPopov Member Posts: 217

EVE Online has many layers of PVP in it.

It's not a simple "let's go to the arena and fight" It's pvp in areas of diplomacy, economics, and warfare (involving complex tactics, leadership, and coordination).

Examples of PVP in diplomacy: Alliance Map Here you can see lines are drawn, regions are taken and lost, empires rise and fall.

Oh ya, Lineage 2 has castle seiges(which can intense, get a nice guild and alliance and join da fun). Something kind of like the Eve Online thing. If you control a castle, you can change taxes, change the manor system, etc. Very political.

~Greatness~

Currently Playing:
    Nothing

• nonjonronnonjonron Member Posts: 139

In regards to Lineage II, how good is the economy?  Do items depreciate or leave the game? 

I note in Eve the economy is very robust with player created ships and equipment, insurance of ships, character cloning to prevent skill point loss on death (at a financial cost of course), and permanent ship loss when a battle is lost.  Does Lineage 2 handle equipment in a similar manner?

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615

Lineage 2 is improving alot with every update. Give it a try and see how you like it :)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• AnimefeendAnimefeend Member Posts: 7

Thank you for all of your responses.
    Lineage 2 sounds like a good option, but how does PVP work? Are there penalties for dying in PVP and rewards for winning? Item loot?
    EDIT: Same questions for ShadowBane, as well.

In Shadowbane the only thing that happens when you die in PvP is your gear takes a little damage (which is easily repaired) and you get an approx. 5 minute deathshroud during which you're basically useless for combat.  When you die everything in your inventory (not your equipped gear, just your inventory, which includes any money you're carrying at the time) is left in a grave on the spot where you died and is lootable by anyone.

-SilentWarlock

• JohnarkJohnark Member Posts: 901

Well DaoC is definatly not hardcore if that's what you're looking for. The game is easy, experience debt is easy to recover back in less than 30 minutes, and PVP is Realm VS Realm kinda like what WoW is doing with Battlegrounds, but DaoC's RvR is a lot more developped.

But hey, with a 30 day free trial, I say give it a shot and see what it's like for yourself.

___________ ___ __ _ _ _
    Stealth - Ambush - Hemorrhage - Sinister Strike x2 - Cold Blood - Eviscerate - Vanish - Preparation - Cold Blood - Ambush - ... you're dead! :P

• TooL-D-TooL-D- Member CommonPosts: 126

Thank you for all of your responses.Lineage 2 sounds like a good option, but how does PVP work? Are there penalties for dying in PVP and rewards for winning? Item loot?EDIT: Same questions for ShadowBane, as well.

In L2 you can lose levels when you die to PvP because of the exp loss.. so players carebear it up and try to avoid pvp at ALL costs.

Shadowbane encourages you to go out and kill everyone you can, tho its better to do it for a REASON.

So basicly, its L2 for nice eye candy and players afraid of PvP.. or older looking Shadowbane where you PvP over just about anything....

• fishercfisherc Member Posts: 134

Again... Shadowbane is MASSIVELY MERCILESS...

But it's also MASSIVELY POINT AND CLICK.

Which ruined the games potential in my opinion...  PvP and point and click... bah...

• MrPopovMrPopov Member Posts: 217

Originally posted by fisherc
    Again... Shadowbane is MASSIVELY MERCILESS...
    But it's also MASSIVELY POINT AND CLICK.
    Which ruined the games potential in my opinion...  PvP and point and click... bah...

PVP and point and click means more character skill (this is an rpg right? not an FPS) and less lag/slow computer-related problems. Best way to go in MMORPGs im my opinion. I've never played Shoadowbane, but in EVE the gameplay still leaves TONS of room for tactics, strategy, and intelligence to be effective.