Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why not easy, hard servers...Tech help please !

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

This question is more for the technical side of development of an mmo.

Why not make servers for hardcore or casual players ?  There is obviously a demand for both.  Infact Blizzard even admitted there are equal amounts of both hardcore and casual.

- We have PvP servers.

- We have PvE servers.

- We have role playing servers ( however just by name, with no real difference in servers ).

EverQuest 2 was the only developer that had split servers depending on play style that I know of.  They offered F2P servers along with their Pay-to-Play servers.  I could understand why most mmo's don't bother, but come on, this is WoW.  Sure this would involve a lot of work.  HOWEVER no one here could denie that this move would not be profitable for blizzard.

- Would bring back disgruntled players.

- Would profit by character transfers.

My question is why not !!!!!.........Is it way too hard to do this ?......Post below will state " this is just stupid "  But understand they are the minority.  Most players that quit because of this reason do not view the World of Warcraft message board anymore. Players that had quit because of easy mode are in the millions.

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

It came to me in the shower.....All future content would have to be done twice.....Well I guess their is no answer, Blizzard would just have to continue loosing subs.

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

I would argue that it would not be profitable for Blizzard for a couple of reasons;

Firstly, developing down different paths would require additional development above an beyond what they have laid out at the moment and that doesn't come cheap and i know that some will point at the money that Blizzard brings in on a monthly basis but as a compant they still have to stick to budgets and targets.

Secondly (and the main one) is that whichever way you cut it, so called 'Hardcore' players just don't pay the bills. The guys that leave the game every time they burn out on content would burn out at some finite point no matter how hardcore you try and make it because that is what they do. They sub in, burn through the content within a few weeks to maybe a couple of months and then leave until the next major patch/expansion.

The game developed in the way it did because whether you like it or not the casual crowd pay for their accounts month in and month out over years and not just in on or two month spurts and because of that the games development will always lean in that direction.

That being said, they are pushing some more stuff in the next expansion with challenge modes etc which will include new titles and such to encourage a little more challenge in the dungeon areas, but i guess we will have to see how that pans out.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

They already have 3 raid difficulties. I doubt they want to spend even more on splitting the code base even more.

Plus, there are really few hard core gamers. If you use Sunwell as an example, less than 2% see the inside when it was the top raid.