Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tabula Rasa

BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627

Oh how I miss you TR... I don't understand why they had to shut it down, their is far worse mmo's going.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

Comments

• huskie77huskie77 Member Posts: 354

I miss it too, but it's gone due to poor management by NCSoft and Richard Garriot. I hope Wildstar devs Carbine Studios learn what the public market for Sci-fi games is like so they don't make the same mistake. I am nervous about another NCSoft sci-fi game though.

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661

Tbh it would be nice to see someone who will buy it and re-build it. That would be a good news. Time will tell....

• FaynthFaynth Member Posts: 237

i feel with you,..me and wife would instantly pick it up again.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Originally posted by Ilaya

Tbh it would be nice to see someone who will buy it and re-build it. That would be a good news. Time will tell....

NCSoft should add it to GW2 as a minigame! :D Actually, I did like the game back in the day! It was different I guess is why I liked it so much. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627

There was a project RG put up a private server until a few months ago that we all played on but NCSoft made him shut it down just saying he is trying to fight the legalities to get it back up and running....

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

Got into the beta, liked what I saw, had some hectic things going on in my life, missed the launch, went to pick the game up and found out it had been cancelled... I was left with a big bubble with the text "WTF?!?" hanging over my head.

From what I've read, people were enjoying themselves, so I'm not exactly sure why it was cancelled, unless there was some clash between Garriot and NC Soft that we haven't heard about... maybe some nasty legalese was being thrown about and NC Soft washed their hands of it?

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

Look at the state that Aion is in now. They dropped TR for that? There are so many games still running that are so much worse. It was more engaging for me than ToR for jebus's sake. You will always and forever be my 1st MMO love.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627

Originally posted by BartDaCat

Got into the beta, liked what I saw, had some hectic things going on in my life, missed the launch, went to pick the game up and found out it had been cancelled... I was left with a big bubble with the text "WTF?!?" hanging over my head.

From what I've read, people were enjoying themselves, so I'm not exactly sure why it was cancelled, unless there was some clash between Garriot and NC Soft that we haven't heard about... maybe some nasty legalese was being thrown about and NC Soft washed their hands of it?

Exactly what it was and still is ongoing...

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

Originally posted by sinjin

Originally posted by BartDaCat

That's unfortunate. =(

I had read about Garriot's astronaut exploits during the game's development, but I didn't know that had carried over into a decision to cancel the game.

• gu357u53rgu357u53r Member Posts: 113

There was a project RG put up a private server until a few months ago that we all played on but NCSoft made him shut it down just saying he is trying to fight the legalities to get it back up and running....

That's sort of messed up.  And what good is the game doing sitting in a box collecting dust?  I guess Richard Garriot had a swell time going up to space, but he could care less if the people who got him there can still run the software he helped develop.  This is why gamers today need to be really leary of making PC game purchases that only give you half of the product, take Diablo III for example and it isn't even an MMORPG.  Specifically ones that are online only where you don't get the server side component, because if this happens they aren't liable in giving you the other portion to at least make it functional with an extra machine and alittle work.  If more gaming companies adopt this behavior I will just have to stop gaming, because this gamer isn't falling for it.

• OberanMiMOberanMiM Member Posts: 236

Originally posted by gu357u53r

That's sort of messed up.  And what good is the game doing sitting in a box collecting dust?  I guess Richard Garriot had a swell time going up to space, but he could care less if the people who got him there can still run the software he helped develop.  This is why gamers today need to be really leary of making PC game purchases that only give you half of the product, take Diablo III for example and it isn't even an MMORPG.  Specifically ones that are online only where you don't get the server side component, because if this happens they aren't liable in giving you the other portion to at least make it functional with an extra machine and alittle work.  If more gaming companies adopt this behavior I will just have to stop gaming, because this gamer isn't falling for it.

Richard Garriot got into space because his dad was an astronaut and he had connections. And he probably made more of his money from his early Ultima franchise prior to being bought out by EA than anything afterwards (don't have exact statistics on this but its easy to assume)

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661

A Private Server can not be the Way, as allways. It's illegal and thats it. I thought more of one of these "F2P" Companies, obv. not Bigpoint, but perhaps the one which took "APB" for example. These would fit for example. Also "Gameforge" would be nice.

• BereKinBereKin Member Posts: 287

Yep, it was interesting game and different at that time. Shame it had to be shut down. Maybe one day someone will buy off game and start over or maybe even NCsof will come to his sense and bring back TR.

• FaynthFaynth Member Posts: 237

i would welcome a f2p relaunch

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

i know right?

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• MdpatsMdpats Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Originally posted by Ilaya

I'm really hoping for this also.  We're seeing a rise in old games coming back in the F2P mode, why not TR

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    Originally posted by BartDaCat some clash between Garriot and NC Soft that we haven't heard about... maybe some nasty legalese was being thrown about and NC Soft washed their hands of it?

i havent heard anything else going on -- have a link?

Garriott co-founded Portalarium is involved with that now

http://www.portalarium.com/

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    Originally posted by BartDaCat some clash between Garriot and NC Soft that we haven't heard about... maybe some nasty legalese was being thrown about and NC Soft washed their hands of it?

i havent heard anything else going on -- have a link?

Garriott co-founded Portalarium is involved with that now

http://www.portalarium.com/

It has more to do with the game failing epicly sub number wise...keep in mind this was pre "ftp" being the saving grace of today's crappy MMOs. The only option back then was to shut it down. Today, they go ftp...

How many of you on this site remember Earth and Beyond? If STO could survive as FTP, that game sure as hell would of.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Well, the crafting was crap, but the rest was fun.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)