Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So much for that - Skirmish Soldier on Landscape is 100 points an hour

2»

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011

Originally posted by Torvaldr

No, you don't get the full meal deal if you subscribe with Turbine.  That is the very reason why I canncelled my sub.  The pitance of TP / month doesn't cover pretty much anything anymore.  Yes, at conversion it did, but now, no way.

Wait a minute, other than these skirmish soldiers requiring TP, what else do you not get with your subscription?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

Originally posted by miramira2

All MMOs are not going this way and Turbine's model is now probably one of the worst on the market.   It most closely mirrors that of Frogsters and PWI.  Oddly enough SoE and NCSoft have the best Freemium models on the market right now because if you subscribe you get full access to the game and its features.

Just that fact that you have to pay cash in EQ2 to be able to use the legendary items you get as drops is a dealbreaker for me. I tried going back to EQ2 because a used to love the game, but the Soe version of cashshop is absolutely horrible.

I think that the Turbine model used in Lotro and DDO is really good, at least it has been up til this point. I really don't understand all the whining about having to "spend money" when playing a game; they have to make money to sustain the game, and as long as 'cash-shop-stuff' are optional and not required to play, or if you're charged for expansions and new questpacks,   I am perfectly fine with it.

think it is a good idea to make soldier-use expensive so that people won't use them at all times - if people did it would completely change the game and make it necessary to rebalance the damage of all mobs. If soldier-use is something you only use occationally to help with a particularly tough quest (or a similar situation), then it won't unbalance the game as much.

I went back to Lotro a couple of months ago and I love it - cashshop and all :)

Why dont you just up and pay a subscription? I play EQ2 myself and I use the SUBSCRIPTION model guess what. I use legendary items why because they are allowed.

The point is all you people wanting everything for free you might as well forget it.. The reason these FTP models are catching on is because developers realize that the majority of newer younger gamers have the attention span of a 2 month old, and will hop in a game for a short time, play it for a few weeks spend some money in a cash shop and jet to the next new shiney that comes along. They intend to make the most they can with an audience like that.

They make their profits by FTPers these days thinking they are getting to play for free.. Sure play for free just pay for everything you need to play.

I continue to laugh at all the people who have pushed for FTPs.. Now they can cry at what has been delivered to them. These companies are not gamer charities.. They are out to make money. Which is completely understandable.

• cagancagan Member UncommonPosts: 445

I used to be a firm defender of Turbien and its F2P model. To be honest it was the best and it was a very honest model. Once every other month I would subscribe and enjoy the content I didnt have. But right now its down the drain....

Everything costs Turbine points now, back then it was few hundred for this and few hundred for that, I used to be able to cover that with the free 500 points i was getting every month. Now everything costs way more. 800 for this and 950 for that....

I didnt even get the raid for the ROI expansion, like 1000 points just for 1 raid?

I also got a bunch of zones paying points, thay added a few minor instances/dungeons to the zones that I already paid for but I dont have access...I have to pay additional to buy those too...

Long story short, they got too greedy and lost my business. I am not subbing anymore and not paying for the poorly done expansions. Almost 2 months and i didnt even log in...

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Originally posted by Robsolf

Originally posted by Flaming_MMO

Originally posted by tawess

easy solution... pay your monthly fee and go on your merry way.. no need to mess around wiith the cash shop to much...

Because you know nothing in life is free.

Paying the monthly fee still does not get you the Skirmish Soldier on the landscape feature.   At this point, Im calling it quits with LoTRO and skipping the monthly fee, and just going on my merry way.

You apparently continue to miss the bit where you can use skirmish points to buy the tokens to bring them out into the open world.  In other words, You spend the stuff you make while USING them in the skirmishes to be able to use them OUTSIDE the skirmishes.  You DO NOT have to use TP.

I've played for over two years now, though my log-ins are mostly to pay my house rent now.   And you know what,  there comes a point in time where you just can't do another fracking skirimish!!!   I have done all of them so many times...    Every skirm through 75...    Many, many, many, many, many times..     

So, it's not so easy...    The cringe-worthy ick of running skirms, or sch/lib or GS...    No.  

And even though I have a ton of TP built-up because I tend not to buy things in the cash shop but cosmetics....    And I have tons of those anyway from playing forover  two years...    It's too close to "Pay-to-win" for me.   So, no.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Originally posted by Sovrath

No, you don't get the full meal deal if you subscribe with Turbine.  That is the very reason why I canncelled my sub.  The pitance of TP / month doesn't cover pretty much anything anymore.  Yes, at conversion it did, but now, no way.

Wait a minute, other than these skirmish soldiers requiring TP, what else do you not get with your subscription?

You don't get access to the new and improved barter wallet.  No full access to shared storage or wardrobe.  No skipping the intro tutorial anymore.  Can not unslot runics anymore.  Most all of the coolest steeds (eg: class mounts) are store exclusives.  The best potions are store exclusives.  There is a ton of store exclusive cosmetics.  Soldier upgradge caps have to be purchased.

There is no way you can buy all of that, not to mention some of the content upgrades that aren't included in the sub price.

And Elocke is right, it's not a gamebreaker to not have these things.  That is you can still log in to the game and do some stuff. Yet it is a total dealbreaker if you are the kind of gamer that enjoys full access to all the game.

Actually it is to some extent.   If you're in a serious raid guild, you have to have those potions and use them because the decrease  the chance of wipe.   That started happening in Disease Wing of Ost Dunhoth when they hit the shops the same time Enidwaith came out and carried over to all major raids.   And they became super important on wound wing due to the dps/heal balance issues on Tier 2.

So, just you're required to have the best weapons, best armor, best traits...   You need to have certain potions from the cash shop because they're on a different timer.   

• MithgonNimelMithgonNimel Member Posts: 11

Be a Captain. It'll solve your problem.

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by elocke

As stupid as this cost is and how I will probably never use the feature, just too used to soloing or grouping anyway, this isn't a game breaker, people.  Sheesh.  Even the stupid cost of the wallet upgrade isn't gamebreaking.  I'm not using my TP on that either unless it goes on sale.  Basically, I just save my TP for expansions.  It's worked out well so far and the game is still fun to play.  The core game hasn't changed from what I can tell.  I still do today what I did 3 years ago.  Quest, deeds, dungeons, crafting, exploring.  

Yup.  Same here.  Not sure why people are getting bent out of shape about an optional feature that has never been needed in the game, and still isn't needed.  This is still one of the best games on the market, and I always find myself going back to it, as new content comes out.  

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Soooo

not only did they offer an in game solution that you can play and do FOR FREE to pay for this option

but they actually added the OPTION to spend money to get the points to actually pay for this feature as another source of revenue?

HOW DARE THEY GIVE US OPTIONS!

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

All I've ever paid for is character slots...quest content and  bag /bank/wardrobe slots. Never needed Skirmishers on the landscape before...don't need them now.