Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How the hell is Runescape a Sandbox MMO?

GeminiStaticGeminiStatic Member UncommonPosts: 182

I'm just wondering list all qualities because I hear this very often but I get mixed reviews.

Old School Gamer - http://www.rsclegacy.com/

Comments

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Didn't see anything in the features that makes it a sandbox.

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

Its skill based rather than class based with crafting, world pvp, clan battles and clan keeps. It gives you the freedom to go out level what skills you wish but it also has the linear quests you can follow.

I wouldn't say its a full sandbox but its not a full theme park thats for sure.

Originally posted by dreamsofwar

Its skill based rather than class based with crafting, world pvp, clan battles and clan keeps. It gives you the freedom to go out level what skills you wish but it also has the linear quests you can follow.

I wouldn't say its a full sandbox but its not a full theme park thats for sure.

If those Clan battles and Keeps are in the open world and not in an instance (like it was in AoC) I think we might be able to say it's a sandbox.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

The real question I want to know is "How is this a themepark MMO?"

• LashleyLashley Member UncommonPosts: 587

Originally posted by Purutzil

The real question I want to know is "How is this a themepark MMO?"

This.

• JuulpowerJuulpower Member Posts: 65

Exactly. Runescape is truely a sandbox MMO.

Why? Because every single day you are totally free to do what you want.

You don't follow a certain story, you don't have to complete the quests in

a certain order, you are not told where to go.

The starter experience in Runescape is great in my opinion... you learn

just enough to be able to move around, but as you are released in the

main world you start exploring and try out things with stuff you encounter.

See some fishes swimming? Click it... *you need a net*. How to get one?

No idea, but it is a great feeling when you find a place to buy one and

find out you just got enough gold, gained from killing goblins, to buy it.

• GeminiStaticGeminiStatic Member UncommonPosts: 182

Okay better question is there player created content and can you  build houses and stuff like that. I'm all about the open pvp dynamic world sandbox kind of player so Im wondering do you think its worth a try for someone l ike me?

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

Runescapes gameplay is something id want to see outside of a web browser (unless it was powered by unity) and in 3d. Ive always thought that if it had been 3d and client based then WoW may have had a harder time gaining its large player base.

Originally posted by GeminiStatic

Okay better question is there player created content and can you  build houses and stuff like that. I'm all about the open pvp dynamic world sandbox kind of player so Im wondering do you think its worth a try for someone l ike me?

It looks like player housing is done in an instance. If the clan keeps are in open world I'll say it's a sand box.

• GeminiStaticGeminiStatic Member UncommonPosts: 182

I'm not trying to be a troll im just simply ignorant and I kind want a good player base and good sandbox fun  here ya know?

• AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167

Yes, out of the 26 or so skills there is one called Construction where you can construct your own house. There is also a new thing called 'clan citidels' where you can design your own battlefield and fight other clans on it.

?

• SyrusSyiSyrusSyi Member Posts: 366

Because in runescape you get to pick what you want to do you do. If you want to go kill some monters then do that or if you want to build you a luxuy mansion then do that or if you wanna just hang out with your friends you can do that.

It is an sandbox because you get to pick what you want to do.

Playing: Single player games |

Awaiting: Wild Star |Blade & Soul | The Repopulation | The Elder Scrolls online | ArcheAge | Firefall | Survarium | Bless | Black Desert |

Played: Guild Wars | Diablo 3 |The War Z | Runescape |World of Warcraft |Combat Arms |Perfect World | Rift | Fiesta | DC universe online | Aion | Age of Conan |Allods | Vindictus | The Secret World | Forge | Battle of the Immortals | Global Agenda| Cabal Online | Tera |

• SinellaSinella Member UncommonPosts: 343

If open PvP is a part of a sandbox game by your definition then RS is not a sandbox for you. It is for me. It has skill-based character developement, player-run economy, no 'kill 10 rats' kind of quests. Huge amount of non-combat activities and skills to do (never ever seen so much content in any other game, though I've tried a lot.) A part of the world (the wilderness) is a full loot PvP zone.

Housing and clan citadels are not in the open world, you reach them through portals. Players can create their own content in the clan citadels, and a bit in the houses too, its supported by the game. There are a lot of player generated content  which doesn't use specific programmed features but players' creativvty.

• SinellaSinella Member UncommonPosts: 343

Originally posted by dreamsofwar

Runescapes gameplay is something id want to see outside of a web browser (unless it was powered by unity) and in 3d. Ive always thought that if it had been 3d and client based then WoW may have had a harder time gaining its large player base.

It's full 3D.

• MightykingMightyking Member UncommonPosts: 235

It used to be a perfect sandbox. When RS was just released all the good gear was player made. You could buy some gear from shops, but when players were able to smith mithril and adamantite that became quickly the best gear that was out there. Now there's better gear that cannot be player made, which made the game move away from the sandbox feeling.

But then to make up for that they added player housing, guild castles and player made content.

I don't see why being player housing in an instance doesn't make it a sandbox.

• meilirsmeilirs Member UncommonPosts: 33

It's hard to define sandbox but RS as a game is not theme park, IMO because no one holds you hand and tells you what to do. Each player does his own thing. There is not the feeling like I have in WoW that I have to keep on turning in "kill 10 rats" quests every time I log in.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Originally posted by AkaJetson

Yes, out of the 26 or so skills there is one called Construction where you can construct your own house. There is also a new thing called 'clan citidels' where you can design your own battlefield and fight other clans on it.

This is what makes it a sandbox. Not skill progression. There are many sandbox games that doesn't have skill progression IE it's not a defining feature

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

Originally posted by Juulpower

This is so true! That is the feeling I want in an MMO! :)

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

If runescape is a sandbox then Asheron's call 2 is also a sandbox.

AC2 have

no instance

no guide and yout totally free whatever you wanne do

no route is forced on you

no real quest hubs

no npcs with !_? above head or any marks on map or arrows saying where to go.

Open world you can go anywhere also portal system but not forced.

skill system you free to choose what skills you want you put xp in.

Still i think AC2 is hibrid partly thempark but alot more sandbox.

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506
    Originally posted by Juulpower

Exactly. Runescape is truely a sandbox MMO.

Why? Because every single day you are totally free to do what you want.

You don't follow a certain story, you don't have to complete the quests in

a certain order, you are not told where to go.

The starter experience in Runescape is great in my opinion... you learn

just enough to be able to move around, but as you are released in the

main world you start exploring and try out things with stuff you encounter.

By this definition.... EQ was a sandbox (Which it is in my opinion, but people cry it is not.)

• AdardowenAdardowen Member UncommonPosts: 69

As someone who has played a few sandbox MMOs (Ultima Online, EVE Online, Wurm Online, Shores of Hazeron, etc) I'd like to think I'm qualified to discuss this subject.

Put simply, Runescape is not a sandbox mmo. As a player you have very little impact on the world. Everything you do is personalized and tailored to you. Hell Jagex even changed it so all of the shops in-game have an inventory specific to each individual player. If someone goes to a general store and sells their junk to it, you won't be able to see it in stock.

The fact that you "get to choose when to kill monsters or when to make stuff" is completely irrelevant. You can do the same thing in WoW and it is NOT a sandbox MMO. Most MMOs are like this. Hell even Toontown Online was like that.

PVP and clan battles in the game change absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. The closest you could come to players having an effect was the latest god war at Lumbridge, and even then, what is it really going to change? Probably nothing. And it's not like you got to represent a force of your own making: you were fighting for Saradomin or for Zamorak. End of story. The players made the call but the devs were guiding your hand, as always.

Runescape is a themepark MMO.