Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR or Rift

2»

Comments

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

If you were bored enough from WoW to quite right after you re-subbed then why do you want to play games that are just like WoW? Just play some F2P games that are different and maybe even some single player RPGs.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Originally posted by Gamer1o1

Which of the two would better to play atm till GW2 comes out? I am pretty bored and just want something fun in the mean time.

SWTOR has bettery story oriented questing and lore than Rift by far. Other than that Rift beats out SWTOR in just about every other category.

Out of the two Rift is definitely the better value overall both in initial price and long term playability. SWTOR is a good short term game. Just not anything many are going to want to play for any long length of time.

Having said that they're both decent games pending on what you're looking for. Personally, I think Rift is the better of the two by quite a large margin.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• cronos1013cronos1013 Member Posts: 29

Which of the two would better to play atm till GW2 comes out? I am pretty bored and just want something fun in the mean time.

SWTOR was a great single player game....at 50, just delete your character and start over...

Rift was a combination of all of the things people liked in themepark MMORPG's.  The graphics were great if you had a machine that could run it, the gameplay was fast and dynamic.   But if you're sick of the same old formula, then it isn't for you.  

I am still searching for my replacement for Pre-NGE Star Wars Galaxies..

I was thinking about The Repopulation, but I just learned the devs have decided to take a big dump on crafters and make it so there is no ability to create unique items.  Apparantly my search goes on.  

• LarsjexLarsjex Member Posts: 11

I really wish I could say Swtor. I WANT the game to be worth it, but, bottom line: It just isn't.

When it comes to themepark MMO'ing, RIFT has, for quite awhile, had the best (and quickest) release of content for almost every player to enjoy. There is an amazing array of stuff to do, especially considering the game's still only about a year old. 

In my opinion, SwToR did -everything- wrong. They had a long, long line of successful MMO's to research on and they made mistakes that a company wouldn't even have made 8 years ago. It's shameful that a company like Bioware can't release a game that is up-to-date with content and game features.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

RIFT would be my vote. I think it's a better overall game in almost every way.

Better dungeons.

Better class system.

More intereting progression.

More variety in things you can choose to do.

Really the list goes on and on. It just seemed like a better overall game. You can even play up to 20 and decide then.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

SWToR has a better 1-50 game so you are better off there.

Rift has the better endgame, but that doesn't matter so much to you I wouldnt think.  

If you have never played it, EQ2 is the best option for themepark type play for a couple months

• cronos1013cronos1013 Member Posts: 29

I tried EQ2 and felt that the gameplay was very clunky compared to newer games. 

• iamflymoloiamflymolo Member Posts: 152

I think the only way I'd say swtor is if GW2 were coming out with the next 4 to 6 weeks. Considering that GW2 may not be out until late 2012 I'd definitely say RIFT. It doesn't take terribly long to get to level 50 and there is just so much to do in terms of end game content. If you find yourself an established guild to play with you should have endless activity to keep you busy until whenever GW2 is finally launched.

• spikers14spikers14 Member UncommonPosts: 531

Straight up -- SWTOR will not last you until GW2 comes out. It will keep you entertained for a bit, but not that long :)

• AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 295

Rift is better in every possible way. It's not even close. Far and away the best MMO out right now.

• Jason2444Jason2444 Member Posts: 372

Originally posted by TheDubanat0r

SWTOR should keep u satisfied as long as you approuch it like a single player RPG with some social aspacts. 

It makes me so glad that people are now openly admiting that SWTOR is a single player game with a 15$ sub fee

MMOs played: WoW, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars, Planetside, Global Agenda, Star Trek Online, RIFT, Everquest 2, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, EvE online, APB
    Best MMO Companies: Trion Worlds, ArenaNet, CCP
    Worst MMO Companies: Electronic Arts

• SnakexSnakex Member UncommonPosts: 317

For -Me-

Swtor > Rift

In the Themepark Universe

besides that, you gotta remember the follow

Swtor = Sci-fi universe, with a lot of single player goodness, and intresting side activities: Ships and Companians.

Rift = your common fantasy RPG on rails, its like WoW but grab WoW, reverse time back to Vinilla, and then Shake it up, flip it upside down, Apply  *Content* Patches every 2 months and BOOM you got Rift

So in that equation, Rift > WoW

BUT! Soon to be, Swtor patch 1.2 = big shit.

Sooooooooo i end my comments here, the pick is YOURS.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Originally posted by RefMinor

Aion, it's F2P, in fact try all the free trials and F2P games you can and get a feel for new concepts, then you can become as cool and jaded as me when a single MMO doesn't encompass all the different good bits

Why doesn't a development team take all of the best aspects of all MMO's and make a killer game?

1. Crafting and open world from SWG

2. Player housing from EQ2

3. Combat, music, and graphics from AoC

4. PvP from DaoC

5. Story writing from SWTOR (not the style, just writing)

6. Fluid animations from WoW

7. Diligent content developers from Rift

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by bigsmiff

Aion, it's F2P, in fact try all the free trials and F2P games you can and get a feel for new concepts, then you can become as cool and jaded as me when a single MMO doesn't encompass all the different good bits

Why doesn't a development team take all of the best aspects of all MMO's and make a killer game?

3. Combat from AoC

4. PvP from DaoC

and graphics from who? graphics is not the number 1 thing to look at but i wouldnt play a game with all the things you listed if it has EQ1 graphics. And much less paying for it

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Originally posted by rojo6934

3. Combat from AoC

4. PvP from DaoC

and graphics from who? graphics is not the number 1 thing to look at but i wouldnt play a game with all the things you listed if it has EQ1 graphics. And much less paying for it

I fixed it...

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

I prefer Rift. Sure it doesn't have the interesting stories SWTOR does, but the quests aren't bad at all. Dynamic events and invasions spice things up (although they can get old after a while), and there's always new content coming down the pipe. Furthermore, SWTOR's story does end eventually and when it does you're left with pretty mediocre endgame content and a (so far) slow development cycle. 

Not to mention that I'd much rather see money going to support good dev houses like Trion instead of bad ones like EA/Bioware.

Rift can be played up to level 20 for free, and I suggest you do. It's worth a download, even if you only get a few hours out of it.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

3. Combat from AoC

4. PvP from DaoC

Do not forget free to play. I mean hey that is the only way you will get all those people. You are also forgetting you need one server like in EvE.

What servers can fit 3,000..maybe 5,000 online at one time in a mmorpg before lagging out and crashing. For DAoC to work you need 3 PERFECTLY balanced factions. So bam now you only have 1,500 people to work with. Now take those 1,500 and put them in houses, or busy crafting.

Now give a dev 250million dollars to develope the story content. Then also give them SEVEN YEARS OF DEVELOPEMENT TO MAKE THOSE SMOOTH animations...not like warrior charge has been broken for years...rogue stealth has been busted also, but WoW is perfect.

Then take the remaining 500ish people maybe and stck them in a instanced battleground with some forts....but what do these forts do? Do they give rewards...uhohhh Aion proved the rewards can not be that good or half your population quits in the first months and goes back to WoW.

The concept is great on paper, but when you do the math with the current technology it is literally impossible.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

3. Combat from AoC

4. PvP from DaoC

1.Crafting, Space, and open world from SWG

2. Story, voice overs, cut scenes, production, plot and small groups from SWTOR

3. Sound  and fluid animation from AION

4. PvP from Guild Wars or Shadowbane

5. PvP world and world building from Shadowbane

6. Marketing from Blizzard

7. Dilligent content from developers Rift

8. Diplomancy,  mob and dungeon challenge from Vanguard

9. Combat from AOC or DDO

10 Graphics and color pallets from LOTRO

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by eddieg50

3. Combat from AoC

4. PvP from DaoC

1.Crafting, Space, and open world from SWG

2. Story, voice overs, cut scenes, production, plot and small groups from SWTOR

3. Sound  and fluid animation from AION

4. PvP from Guild Wars or Shadowbane

5. PvP world and world building from Shadowbane

6. Marketing from Blizzard

7. Dilligent content from developers Rift

8. Diplomancy,  mob and dungeon challenge from Vanguard

9. Combat from AOC or DDO

10 Graphics and color pallets from LOTRO

What the hell?

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.