Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF MMORTS: Civ-esque with MMO feel for Two Co-op friends

JergisJergis Member UncommonPosts: 38

-Howdy and thanks in advance for any help. A friend i work with relaly likes Civ, Alpha Centauri, Sins of a Solar Empire, etc. He is interested in trying an MMO that provides that type of experience.

I'm a very co-op oriented player, i want to be able to build up my planet/town/civilization and be able to unite with myf riend and help him. Castle Empire started off okay but no PvP, so my friend cannot get the military aspect out there. And a lot of the other RTS's i have seen from 2001-2005 were focused too much on military.

ANy balanced games out there to meet these needs? Lemme know, have a good one.

Jergis

Comments

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• JergisJergis Member UncommonPosts: 38

-I keep seeing EvE mentioned as an RTS (which i won't argue with) but AoEO was more the style i was thinking. Again, More Civ derivative.

Many reviews for AoEO take issue with the role of micro-transactions (a problem Castle Empire doesn't have as there really isn't a need to spend there) in the game, which worried me a bit.

Thanks for the input, any others out there that play like an MMO version of the above-mentioned 1P games?

Jergis

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

Only games that come to mind are League of Legends and End of Nations... well those are more MMORTS, for Civ-life empire building there really isn't much.

I don't think you are going to find something like Civ where you build 20+ cities yourself and manage resources/military might. However games like EVE Online, Perpetuum, Xsyon, Mortal Online, or Darkfall offer a more minor role in the same system, allowing for people to band together to build cities, manage resources/military might etc. 

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

I'll throw in my recommendation for Europa Universalis 3.  It is a fantastic Coop game, and if you pretend the other 100+ nations are people it feels like an MMO in many ways.  The only major downside is that it takes a couple hours to learn how to play, it isn't something you can jump into and start clicking Build Tank and win.

• JergisJergis Member UncommonPosts: 38

-Hmm i've never done a multiplayer PC game that is non-mmo before, woudl my friend and i be able to play together or is it random lobby assignments for multiplayer?

Interesting, thanks for the suggestions, anything else appreciated.

Jergis

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    If you are ok with minimal graphics you could try Astro Empires, it makes EvE look like a bunch of carebears though for ruthlessness.
  • ButtskiButtski Member UncommonPosts: 187

Shogun 2 comes to mind.

• ChudzUKChudzUK Member UncommonPosts: 38

I am playing Stronghold Kingdoms atm its an already background game to play!

• RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

Originally posted by Jergis

-Hmm i've never done a multiplayer PC game that is non-mmo before, woudl my friend and i be able to play together or is it random lobby assignments for multiplayer?

Interesting, thanks for the suggestions, anything else appreciated.

Jergis

For Europa since the games are played over the course of weeks (or months), one of you would host the game and be in charge of saving each day, and the other player / players just directly connect to the host.

I also tried Stronghold Kingdoms and Dawn of Fantasy, my two cents on those:

Stronghold Kingdoms: Felt very limited by what you can do each day.  Unless you spend a lot of real life money in the cash shop to speed buildings up, get instant resources, etc.  I only played for a few days though since I didn't like that, I don't know what higher level/end-game is like.

Dawn of Fantasy: This released way, waaaay too early.  I played in beta for it, and it needed 6-12 months more work prior to release, easily.  It was missing most of the promised content, and was just a buggy mess.  On top of that, it wasn't even F2P, they wanted you to buy a box!  I don't know if they still do - when they released their half or quarter finished game and asked for $30 to play I left and have never looked at it again.  Maybe it has improved.