Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trouble DLing Runes of Magic - computers fault? Or...

NorthaliusNorthalius Member Posts: 2

Hey! Sorry if this is not the right area but I'll post it anyway, just in case it is:

I have to use crappy satellite ISP for my connection to the Internet because cable is not available where I live (yeah, I live in the country), so I don't know if it's the fault of that piece of garbage ISP (they rip us off charging us $80 a month, any time other than 2 AM to 7 AM is literally as slow as dial up - didn't know that before I got it though...) or piece of garbage computer!

I began DLing Runes of Magic quite a few days ago (only in early morning hours), and finally DLed about 7300 MB of the 7800 MB, and I was getting about 100-140 KB/s speeds that whole time but now for the last few days the speed dropped to a disgusting 3 to 5 KB/s!

What the heck went wrong?!

Did it hit a wall of some sort?

I'm not very computer literate, so I don't know how to deal with all this RAM stuff. I never bothered learning, maybe that's a big problem I'll have to fix. :-P

Anyway, hopefully someone can give me an explanation as to why this happened?

I don't even know if I can play Runes of Magic with this crappy ISP but I was willing to be patient and DL it to try anyway! Now this crap happens! Arg!

Any help would truly be appreciated. :-)

Comments

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

My guess would be your ISP has you on a download usage cap.  Once your usage exceded the cap, a limiter kicks and and makes your download go very slowly.

It's also possible that the ROM downloader shares your bandwidth with other users like peer to peer software (torrents for example).  If so, you are uploading to others.  That could have pushed your upload usage high enough to hit a cap and that could have triggered a limiter.

No suggestions on a workaround.  Just let it chug and eventually it should get finished.  Others might be able to help you with more detail.  I haven't touched digital satellite since the early 90s when we used it for work.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • steelfinsteelfin Member UncommonPosts: 121

Originally posted by ActionMMORPG

My guess would be your ISP has you on a download usage cap.  Once your usage exceded the cap, a limiter kicks and and makes your download go very slowly.

It's also possible that the ROM downloader shares your bandwidth with other users like peer to peer software (torrents for example).  If so, you are uploading to others.  That could have pushed your upload usage high enough to hit a cap and that could have triggered a limiter.

No suggestions on a workaround.  Just let it chug and eventually it should get finished.  Others might be able to help you with more detail.  I haven't touched digital satellite since the early 90s when we used it for work.

Pretty much my first thought.  So basically the TS' internet has been capped.  And I thought I had it hard with my shitty 50 gigs a month.  And wow...140kb/s?  That's pretty dang slow.  You'll probably uninstall the game anyway after you realise how P2W it is.  What a waste.

• NorthaliusNorthalius Member Posts: 2

I see!

So I hope this is only a monthly cap for dowloading? Maybe next month I can finish it. Better late than never.

• Montana_MikeMontana_Mike Member Posts: 20

Really why bother?

The game is basically dying.  Frogster Germany fired all the Frogster America employees, and farmed the servers out to a lot cost bidder.  The siege/areana servers have not worked more days that worked so far this year.

An in addition, account hackers are running rampant on the new outsourced servers.  You Cash Shop currency is being stolen, in addition to gold, gear, etc.  Frogster Germany has been unable to stop the account hacks for weeks.  Even the GMs accounts are getting hacked.  Dangerous situation.  I would suggest you take your money and gaming time to a better supported game.