Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can bitch and moan, but AoC Boss fights are epic among other MMOs

DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589

You can say what you want about AoC, but the Bossfights they got right. This is graphic MMO Climax. Beware it might change your thoughts on your current MMO ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM4sTl9I7n4&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT7IE5qCX4g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zme84r4RoA0&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH-kkUgRAOw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeeJYZcvk-8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT7IE5qCX4g

Hope you did not get too provoked :P

The Ultimate Breakdown

Comments

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Do you work for Funcom? Every single topic you've ever created since you joined these forums has been hyping their games.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

To each their own I guess,  I preferred the massive world bosses in CoX.

While it might not look as graphically pleasing,  its more about fun than looks to me.

• notanaemnotanaem Member Posts: 8

I watched all the videos and it makes me glad I didn't stick around for AoC's endgame. 

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369

Has Stinky been fixed yet ?, Funcom broke his fart gas way back in January. Yup they patched the game and broke more things than they fixed.

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589

Originally posted by Kabaal

Do you work for Funcom? Every single topic you've ever created since you joined these forums has been hyping their games.

Haha I know.. was waiting for that question? No it's not like that. I'm a pretty simple guy that just play one or two MMO's at the time. Been sticking with AoC now for soon 3 years. Have been looking on TSW adds and vids recently (hanging in Funcoms official forums you are bound to see all that TSW stuff going on). Looks very intriguing, but I am not sure wether a non fantasy setting will grab me. Anyways, lets not take the thread off the topic. Nice vids I posted?  :D

The Ultimate Breakdown

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Very nice vids sir. Nice to see a positive post for once and nothing wrong with liking the game you play. 

• AnkurAnkur Member Posts: 334

Guess GW2 forums is full of Anet employees if i use your logic or any other gaming forum.

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

Originally posted by sibs4455

Has Stinky been fixed yet ?, Funcom broke his fart gas way back in January. Yup they patched the game and broke more things than they fixed.

No stinky is still broke or is the new working as intended. I'm fine with it since they took the heal out of holy cleansing for PoMs.

Nice videos BTW.

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• NeoZcar2NeoZcar2 Member Posts: 136

Been playing MMORPG's since 1999. I joined in on EQ on day 1. Played almost every major MMORPG title since that day including AoC. Gotta say AoC had probably the easiest and worst looking raids I ever participated in. And the videos you linked are perfect examples. Not to mention most of the raid bosses in AoC can be glitched out so the raid members take no damage while killing them.To be completely honest I have not seen a game that required the mass group organization in raiding that Everquest did back in teh early 2000's around the time of the Planes of Power expansion. What I have seen from the raids in GW2 it looks like they will require a lot of coordination and lots of people to complete, and I am exceited again.  Rift, Aion, WAR, LOTRO, WOW, AoC, EQ2, have all fallen short in this.

Originally posted by NeoZcar2

Been playing MMORPG's since 1999. I joined in on EQ on day 1. Played almost every major MMORPG title since that day including AoC. Gotta say AoC had probably the easiest and worst looking raids I ever participated in. And the videos you linked are perfect examples. Not to mention most of the raid bosses in AoC can be glitched out so the raid members take no damage while killing them.To be completely honest I have not seen a game that required the mass group organization in raiding that Everquest did back in teh early 2000's around the time of the Planes of Power expansion. What I have seen from the raids in GW2 it looks like they will require a lot of coordination and lots of people to complete, and I am exceited again.  Rift, Aion, WAR, LOTRO, WOW, AoC, EQ2, have all fallen short in this.

Have you ever done a W2/W3 in AoC? It requires a great deal of oganization and every member of the raid doing their part or you will have a complete wipe. Same goes for Jade Citadel in Paikang.

If you just did T1 sweeps in AoC then yeah it doesn't require a lot of organization.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

I don't know they aren't changing my thoughts just yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO28b0dYBV8&feature=related#t=1150s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeDd2oVND4c&list=UU-S7xonqgsyX5DyjI83uIQg&index=6&feature=plcp

Because my current MMO has some nice fights, but to each their own right? ;)

• tarestares Member Posts: 381

Originally posted by NeoZcar2

WoW before the first expansion had decent progressive raiding, 40 man BWL, AQ, Naxx took guilds some time to learn fights and progress and there were some contested mobs, which were fun on PvP servers.  He linked a single group zone,  The only raids to get done in AoC in all of america are Tier 1 and 2 which were both around launch and people do one wing of tier 3, anything else added in the last two + years doesn't get raided in he states, lack of players and the fights being poorly made / bugged would explain why. 

EQ1 is what I'm playing again atm till something comes out and plays better.  Strangly I'm on bristlebane, just a random EQ server and it feels way more alive than Age of Conan's PvP servers or Wicca and there is progressive raiding on BB.

I miss the big raids of EQ and pre expansion WoW, a lot of games have more epic single group content than AoC though and way more single group content.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

Originally posted by Ankur

Guess GW2 forums is full of Anet employees if i use your logic or any other gaming forum.

There is a difference.  The AOC forums have many haters.. a few people who like the game.. and then 1 person who posts PR sounding threads every few days.  Not surprisingly, he also posts very favorable posts in the other Funcom game.  It is ok to like AOC, especially now that it has fallen to free2play... but comeón..   you really think a game with the best combat ever and the best boss fights ever would lose subscribers to fast after launch?

AOC combat is subpar, certainly not ´better´ than most games.  The bosses are pretty boring also.. again.. if it is your first or only game, they may look ok... but really, compared to almost every AAA title out there, they are below the curve.  Of course my experience is jaded since the first 2 years after launch, almost every boss was bugged.

.adslot-overlay {position: absolute; font-family: arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.65); border: 2px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.65); color: white !important; margin: 0; 2147483647; text-decoration: none; box-sizing: border-box; text-align: left;}.adslot-overlay-iframed {top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; bottom: 0;}.slotname {position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 13px; font-weight: bold; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertical-align: middle; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); text-overflow: ellipsis; white-space: nowrap; overflow: hidden;}.slotname span {text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-transform: capitalize;}.revenue {position: absolute; bottom: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 11px; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertial-align: middle; text-align: left; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); font-weight: bold; text-overflow: ellipsis; overflow: hidden; white-space: nowrap;}.revenue .name {color: #ccc;}.revenue .horizontal .metric {display: inline-block; padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .horizontal .name {padding-right: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .metric {display: block; line-height: 1.5em; margin-bottom: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .name, .revenue .vertical .value {display: block;}.revenue .square .metric, .revenue .button .metric {display: table-row;}.revenue .square .metric {line-height: 1.5em;}.revenue .square .name, .revenue .square .value, .revenue .button .value {display: table-cell;}.revenue .square .name {padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .button .name {display: block; margin-right: 0.5em; width: 1em; overflow: hidden; text-overflow: clip;}.revenue .button .name:first-letter {margin-right: 1.5em;}a.adslot-overlay:hover {border: 2px solid rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover {cursor: not-allowed; border: 2px solid rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}

Originally posted by Azrile

There is a difference.  The AOC forums have many haters.. a few people who like the game.. and then 1 person who posts PR sounding threads every few days.  Not surprisingly, he also posts very favorable posts in the other Funcom game.  It is ok to like AOC, especially now that it has fallen to free2play... but comeón..   you really think a game with the best combat ever and the best boss fights ever would lose subscribers to fast after launch?

AOC combat is subpar, certainly not ´better´ than most games.  The bosses are pretty boring also.. again.. if it is your first or only game, they may look ok... but really, compared to almost every AAA title out there, they are below the curve.  Of course my experience is jaded since the first 2 years after launch, almost every boss was bugged.

.adslot-overlay {position: absolute; font-family: arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.65); border: 2px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.65); color: white !important; margin: 0; 2147483647; text-decoration: none; box-sizing: border-box; text-align: left;}.adslot-overlay-iframed {top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; bottom: 0;}.slotname {position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 13px; font-weight: bold; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertical-align: middle; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); text-overflow: ellipsis; white-space: nowrap; overflow: hidden;}.slotname span {text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-transform: capitalize;}.revenue {position: absolute; bottom: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 11px; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertial-align: middle; text-align: left; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); font-weight: bold; text-overflow: ellipsis; overflow: hidden; white-space: nowrap;}.revenue .name {color: #ccc;}.revenue .horizontal .metric {display: inline-block; padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .horizontal .name {padding-right: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .metric {display: block; line-height: 1.5em; margin-bottom: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .name, .revenue .vertical .value {display: block;}.revenue .square .metric, .revenue .button .metric {display: table-row;}.revenue .square .metric {line-height: 1.5em;}.revenue .square .name, .revenue .square .value, .revenue .button .value {display: table-cell;}.revenue .square .name {padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .button .name {display: block; margin-right: 0.5em; width: 1em; overflow: hidden; text-overflow: clip;}.revenue .button .name:first-letter {margin-right: 1.5em;}a.adslot-overlay:hover {border: 2px solid rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover {cursor: not-allowed; border: 2px solid rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}

AoC combat is certainly different from WoW :). That does not mean subpar, to most people that means great!

The Ultimate Breakdown

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

Originally posted by DaSpack

AoC combat is certainly different from WoW :). That does not mean subpar, to most people that means great!

and again.. answer the question.  If AOC has great combat, and great boss encounters ( big parts of any MMORPG).. then why, even being a f2p game, does it have 3 servers with decent populations.   Think about that.  WOW has almost 200 servers, probably 100 of them are full.. AND it charges $15 per month.  If AOC is FREE and it´s combat and boss enounters are better.. what is the problem?

I don´t have any problem with people liking AOC, or even saying they think it is better than WOW, RIFT, SWTOR, LOTRO, DDO etc.. that is all fine.  But your funcom-PR posts are just rediculious and silly in light of the fact that AOC is free and still empty.  AOC does not have the greatest combat, nor the greatest boss encounters... if it did, then surely those 2M people who have tried it would still be logging in.

and again.. answer the question.  If AOC has great combat, and great boss encounters ( big parts of any MMORPG).. then why, even being a f2p game, does it have 3 servers with decent populations.   Think about that.  WOW has almost 200 servers, probably 100 of them are full.. AND it charges $15 per month.  If AOC is FREE and it´s combat and boss enounters are better.. what is the problem?

I don´t have any problem with people liking AOC, or even saying they think it is better than WOW, RIFT, SWTOR, LOTRO, DDO etc.. that is all fine.  But your funcom-PR posts are just rediculious and silly in light of the fact that AOC is free and still empty.  AOC does not have the greatest combat, nor the greatest boss encounters... if it did, then surely those 2M people who have tried it would still be logging in.

lalala and the wheel goes around. So you would call MacDonalsds food great? No, it's shit you put in the holde when you are heading drunk back from town. Still, a lot of people dine in MacDonalds. Seriously, you keep putting = between number of people and quality. Just don't because it's commonly known that even though Merzedes Benz is one of the best cars, there are very few that drive one, even though Armani makes the smartest looking suits, not everyone wears one etc... It comes down to taste and quality. Actually with your line of argument I would say since WoW has the most customers, it is the game best suited for people with a simple taste. I would say your statement and this statement are equally wrong. But hopefully you get the point.

The Ultimate Breakdown

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Being completely honest, because it takes too long to get into it. Combat is fun, but leveling gets boring about level 30-40 where players start to drop off. But once you get to the Khitai dungeons it has some of the best fights in a MMO I have ever played. I never really got bored while leveling in WoW, but I think that is because they switched the zones and mobs up a lot, and it was pretty quick compared to AoC.

I am not defending the game because I am a current player either, I did the endgame for about 6 months and it was fun, but I left due to lack of new content. I know there has been new content added since I left but I am playing other games with friends so dont have the time to return.

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600

This makes no sense at all, and you know it. Look, I have no problem with you being a WoW fan(boi) and hating Funcom or Aoc, but at least use some more common sense.

For example, Idols and Survivor were some of the most popular shows and watched by millions and millions, but that doesn't mean they're the best shows ever made around. Firefly was watched by a small number of people and cancelled after 14 episdes, yet it still is one of the better scifi shows made and was a great quality show only it didn't get its stride in the time it was allowed. Twilight movies are immensely popular and successful, but that doesn't make them the best fantasy movies ever made. Blade Runner wasn't a big hit in the cinemas at all, only barely successful, yet now it's considered 1 of the best scifi movies ever made. Popularity isn't the same as quality, just like less popularity doesn't automatically mean flawed or less quality.

As for AoC: yes, its melee combat is a genuine gem and considered by many to be so for various reasons, just like its boss fights. I certainly did have a far better time with combat in AoC than combat in most other AAA MMO's. If you don't agree and don't like it because you dislike everything that has anything to do with AoC and Funcom, feel free to do so. Only use correct arguments, and not just fallacies that have nothing to do with the points made. Fanboiing WoW is just annoying and tiresome when it's done in threads that have nothing to do with WoW.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

lalala and the wheel goes around. So you would call MacDonalsds food great? No, it's shit you put in the holde when you are heading drunk back from town. Still, a lot of people dine in MacDonalds. Seriously, you keep putting = between number of people and quality. Just don't because it's commonly known that even though Merzedes Benz is one of the best cars, there are very few that drive one, even though Armani makes the smartest looking suits, not everyone wears one etc... It comes down to taste and quality. Actually with your line of argument I would say since WoW has the most customers, it is the game best suited for people with a simple taste. I would say your statement and this statement are equally wrong. But hopefully you get the point.

Using your own analogies

Aoc is a nice steak from a restaurant except it lacks side dishes and you can only get water to drink with it.

It's only the pants from an armani suit.

It's a Mercedes Benz with a Ford Twingo Engine.

AoC is a gear treadmill with massive grind, you are allowed to like it, but don't pretend it is anything more than that. 

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by Connmacart

Using your own analogies

Aoc is a nice steak from a restaurant except it lacks side dishes and you can only get water to drink with it.

AoC is a gear treadmill with massive grind, you are allowed to like it, but don't pretend it is anything more than that. 

You're entitled to your opinion, but the leveling process was nowhere near a massive grind, in fact I found it one of the better leveling experiences I've had, partly due to the fun melee combat, but also due to its atmosphere in the world design - gritty, low fantasy instead of the standard fantasy, and more alike to Conan's world, and great music.

Sure, the faction benefits in Kithia and the PvP gear is a treadmill, but other MMO's at level cap have the same treadmill and often have less progression to offer at level cap.

• tarestares Member Posts: 381

Originally posted by cutthecrap

Originally posted by Connmacart

Using your own analogies

You're entitled to your opinion, but the leveling process was nowhere near a massive grind, in fact I found it one of the better leveling experiences I've had, partly due to the fun melee combat, but also due to its atmosphere in the world design - gritty, low fantasy instead of the standard fantasy, and more alike to Conan's world, and great music.

Sure, the faction benefits in Kithia and the PvP gear is a treadmill, but other MMO's at level cap have the same treadmill and often have less progression to offer at level cap.

Most MMOs have more level cap progression, few USA guilds are doing T3 (Three year old content) than a year ago, so that is regression.  No idea where these anologies are comming from.   WoW and AoC normaly  cost the same price per month, actually AoC can be cheaper as it is free or more expensive as can cash shop upgrades so it would be more like you can buy a $15k ford or $15k chevy.  Also the analogy about popularity doesn't hold as AoC launched with unprecedented number of players so it would be like if Firefly got superbowl number of viewers and then lost them all within the first months so canned production.  Secondly, AoC got people back maybe a year after release for win backs, then whenever the  expansion hit, then another time during the free to play. 

MMOs are the most social type of gaming so if there wasn't critical issues and people found some content or gameplay or mechanics enjoyable this game would grow during those times due to word of mouth.  There are critical issues with Age of Conan it is why a game with such high graphical standards can have so few players.  MMO players usually have the best PC systems as well, due to spending so much time playing. 

This thread is about epic bosses, but most MMOs have much better scripting such as in WoW , SWTOR,  EQ 1/2  you will fight a boss in multiple rooms and fight mechanics change and there is a more epic feel to them and much more dynamic game mechanics at play.  Those are the games I have played that focused on boss encounters.  Is just obvious that those games have more staff dedicated to creating zone and boss content.  House of crom is what three years old and they finaly threw it in.  The expansion had the only raid bosses (just two) bugged for over a year, if a team was dedicated to bosses there would be way more than two and most of them would function.

Is sad, the game could have been polished and meaningful content added, instead the person in charge, fired most of the staff and moved the rest to TSW or other games so AoC was unable to progress much since launch, to many cuts I guess. Seems like most of the funding went to the game engine and marketing rather than the game development, that was the big error IMO.

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597

It's a shame that folks that want to post something good about a game that they feel that they have to be ready for an argument.  Nothing wrong with sharing things you like about an MMO.

I don't play AOC, but I like learning about what other people like about the games they play.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Originally posted by Arawulf

It's a shame that folks that want to post something good about a game that they feel that they have to be ready for an argument.  Nothing wrong with sharing things you like about an MMO.

I don't play AOC, but I like learning about what other people like about the games they play.

welcome to mmorpg.com

• RafadotnechiRafadotnechi Member UncommonPosts: 90

The end game looks good sad the game is already dead

Originally posted by Mouls

The end game looks good sad the game is already dead

I don't know what game you're playing, but on Wiccana it's pretty far from dead. Saturday had raids going of all sorts. It was a tough choice on which type of raid you wanted to go to or fill a spot in a 6man dungeon.

I have no doubt it will take a dip when TSW, GW2, and Tera get released. It seemed to have bounced back after the release of SWTOR.

Find a good guild that fits your playstyle and this game is quite enjoyable and far from dead.