Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PS4 won't play used games :(

RedMachine72RedMachine72 Member UncommonPosts: 154

Just read that the next PS console is gonna do what the next X-Box is gonna do and restrict your playing to new titles only.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/next-playstation-to-lock-out-used-games-report-6368582 

Guess that I won't be getting either of them now. We'll see if Nintendo has the stones to go against what the others are doing. If Nintendo does, then they most likely will be the #1 console in a couple of years.

Comments

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Originally posted by RedMachine72

Just read that the next PS console is gonna do what the next X-Box is gonna do and restrict your playing to new titles only.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/next-playstation-to-lock-out-used-games-report-6368582 

Guess that I won't be getting either of them now. We'll see if Nintendo has the stones to go against what the others are doing. If Nintendo does, then they most likely will be the #1 console in a couple of years.

I look forward to reading about the great video game crash of 2013 8 years from now and being able to say "I SO saw that one coming!"

Seriously, if the Xbox and PS block used games, I simply will not buy them. I can only hope the Wii U doesn't follow suit.

• khelbonkhelbon Member UncommonPosts: 124

I myself was gonna buy a PS4 when the price would go down a bit cause you know it will come out over priced. But seeing how they will block used games from being played is the final straw on me not getting one. Plus not being able to play PS3 games on it is a total crock of crap.

Plus you know any and all games that come out for it will probally jump up to 79.99 or so. I love buying a used game as I cannot afford to buy every game that comes out for 59.99. So screw Sony and Microsoft. I hope their sales tank so hard they have to reverse this and allow them to play used games.

I feel bad for the companies who do nothing but rent games....They will be hit the hardest.

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701

Not confirmed yet but wouldn't be shocked. Also they are saying Xbox 720 is going the same route.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
             It sure sounds like they will be cutting their own throats.....Im sure this will have a major impact on sales as a result..... Maybe this will spur PC gaming again.
  • bakedpotatobakedpotato Member Posts: 27

I hate that the new consoles won't play old games. Then the new games for the new consoles end up being about £70. I would like to think thats an over exaggeration, but it probably won't be, considering when the ps3 came out games were like £50.

The Secret World Beta Weekend Screenshots and Review at Bird Eats Worm!

• UOvetUOvet Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by Theocritus
             It sure sounds like they will be cutting their own throats.....Im sure this will have a major impact on sales as a result..... Maybe this will spur PC gaming again.

PC gaming is fine for the most part, but it would probably make people look into buildling a mainstream gaming PC if this is the case. Consoles are usually on par with PC for about..what..6 months?

People are spending 400-500 on these systems new. Of couse then you gotta get another controller, headset, all that jazz, probably couple extra hundred bucks, tack on a game or two. If they only knew if they spent a little more they could have legit PC. I really wish PC manufacturers could lower their prices some to attract more people, and I really wish they would advertise the PC for gaming more just in general on TV and such.

I hope consoles go away. Death to the controller in my opinion.

What about rented games? How can they stop someone from playing a used game? Crazy.

• AticusWellesAticusWelles Member Posts: 152
    Originally posted by UOvet
    Originally posted by Theocritus

PC gaming is fine for the most part, but it would probably make people look into buildling a mainstream gaming PC if this is the case. Consoles are usually on par with PC for about..what..6 months?

People are spending 400-500 on these systems new. Of couse then you gotta get another controller, headset, all that jazz, probably couple extra hundred bucks, tack on a game or two. If they only knew if they spent a little more they could have legit PC. I really wish PC manufacturers could lower their prices some to attract more people, and I really wish they would advertise the PC for gaming more just in general on TV and such.

I hope consoles go away. Death to the controller in my opinion.

What about rented games? How can they stop someone from playing a used game? Crazy.

I agree with you about PCs.  As for stopping rental and used games.  It's simple, PC developers have been doing it for years. 

Being a PC gamer though, I'm fine with not being able to sell my Steam games or buy used games , so I wouldn't have any problem not being able to sell my PS4/Xbox 3 games if I ever intended on buying a console again.

IMO all the BS they have surrounding the consoles, from crappy controllers, locked down systems, and crappy online services, to camera's that spy on people for marketing reasons, to crappy motion controls and gimmicky voice recognition game features is a bigger turn off than not being able to play used games.

I hate Apple for it's Walled Garden approach, and I hate the console manufactures for the same reason.

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

Shame none of these new playstations are backwards compatible with older generation games, but I do understand its alot to ask for in just one console.

But as for the OP, this idea I can see where the game developers are coming from, but its gonna put alot of people out of business in stores and online, but that is their objective either way.

• kaguhoOkaguhoO Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by RedMachine72

nope ninteno will fail next gen especialy after the epic imba fail E3 and the failed games they show

i see sony dominate next gen,they already have the best AAA exclusives games..outselling the xbox worldwide..closed the gap from 9mil to 2.5mill and keep closing it.

they have the most 1st party studios at their side and praise indie studios working for them

but the reason i see them at the top is the deal they  they made with gaikai...cloud gaming is the future sony knew it and bought them.

also they embrace f2p mmo's...expect tons of them on the ps4,DCU-dust514 already on ps3 and FFXIV  sometimes have to come,rumors for gw2 but i really doubt that

xbox i couldnt care less...all they did this gen is milking the same 2-3 franchise year after year....gears,halo 

zero creativity,stealing ideas from the competition without a touch of their own.

kinect=eye toy,slim version,smartglass=Wii U controler

• kaguhoOkaguhoO Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by khelbon

I myself was gonna buy a PS4 when the price would go down a bit cause you know it will come out over priced. But seeing how they will block used games from being played is the final straw on me not getting one. Plus not being able to play PS3 games on it is a total crock of crap.

Plus you know any and all games that come out for it will probally jump up to 79.99 or so. I love buying a used game as I cannot afford to buy every game that comes out for 59.99. So screw Sony and Microsoft. I hope their sales tank so hard they have to reverse this and allow them to play used games.

I feel bad for the companies who do nothing but rent games....They will be hit the hardest.

all console will have block used games.

and sony never said they wil lblock games....i wont believe anyone untill SONY announce this themself

• VarossVaross Moderator UncommonPosts: 11,414

Hi,

Please do not necro threads.

Thanks.

To give feedback on moderation, please contact [email protected]
This discussion has been closed.