Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I don't have a clue what to pick

Lizabeth83Lizabeth83 Member Posts: 5

I've been playing MMOs for several years.  I started in World of Warcraft, and played until they released Lick King.  I was a "hardcore raider."

I quit because the game became so casual that it wasn't entertaining enough to kill the 12 year olds anymore.

I went to Age of Conan when it came out.  Played for 6 months, quit because of terrible support, massive bugs, and the infamous "PvP glitch."  I don't have a great computer, but I was far above the recommended requirements on that game, but the game itself didn't use computer resources worth two grains of salt.

After that, I gave up on MMOs in general, and played a few trials.  I played Star Wars Galaxies for a month (AFTER NGE), space combat was fun, but it didn't stick. 

I played DDO for a couple months, but lack of IRL friends playing ruined that for me. 

Tried Evony for a month or two, but the fact that it was a pure grind, and the way that combat worked, where I felt like I had to sleep at my keyboard to stay safe wasn't healthy.

RIFT was just a wow clone poorly done.

EVE Online was fun, but it always seemed so empty in cold space outside Jita.

League of Legends was okay for a few days, then it just became monotonous.  Not enough variety.

Overall, I've decided that I'm only interested in free to play MMOs.  I have no trouble paying out of pocket for things, but I don't want to spend a monthly fee simply to own a game.  I've taken a look at some of the FAQs before posting, and I had a few ideas that looked okay, like Pirates of the Burning Sea, Atlantica Online, Perfect World, etc.  I DON'T want a game that is "too anime-looking."  I'd like to try and stay away from games that you deal damage "OVER NINE THOUSAND!"...stuff like that.

One thing I liked about EVE was the player base.  Generally speaking, people typed legibly, and were mature.  I'm not sure if that is a EVE-only type of player base, or if any other MMOs out there has that.  It would be a plus.

Thank you in advance for reading this, and I sincerely appreciate the feedback.

Liz

Comments

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Everquest 2 has a lot of raid content if that's what you are into. Its f2p model is quite a bit restricting initially though, you'll have to spend some money to get a class/race you are interested in, and auction house slots I think, among other things.

Guild Wars or Star Trek online might be worth looking into if you don't mind heavily instanced mmos.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

i would just wait for either guild wars 2 or the secret world , skip tera, and further on maybe next year or so archeage. vanguard fp2 model should be one to check out ifit comes soon enough but other than that i aswell recoment everquest 2.

• Lizabeth83Lizabeth83 Member Posts: 5

The Secret World isn't really my thing.  I'd hop into Left for Dead or something for that type of genre.  Thanks though!

Regarding Everquest 2, I'm actually clueless.  I know that it morphed from Everquest 1 from like 10+ years ago, but I never actually tried it, or knew anyone that did.  I recall hearing once that there was a class or weapon based quest that spanned from like 5 hours into gameplay until the max level, but that's about it.  What is the community like?  Crafting?  How is the economy handled?  Is gold farming/buying overlooked, encouraged, or actively fought against?  What's a normal day like in Everquest 2?  Is it nothing but grinding, or grouping, or soloing, or what is there to do?  I read from their website they have player housing.  (This is a plus!)

• Benn289Benn289 Member Posts: 25

if you like killing zombies with melee weapons, ones you can make, find schematics to mod them, throw them if they are worth using anymore or want guns too...id suggest buying Dead Island..its a rpg with a talent tree type of thing for each main character..one of the best zombie games ive played to date. its got a good amount of rpg element to it. if you want fast paced, zombie action, left for dead like the other guy before me mentioned. but Dead Island is freaking AWESOME!

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712
    EQ2 has a lot. Best thing to do is try it since its F2P. And yes the housing is the best out of any mmorpgs I've played and I've played a lot of them over a 13 yr period. It sounds like a good match for you.

So I tried Everquest 2, made it to level 10 with a berserker and a templar, but I never got into it. It looked and felt like a second rate game. It was reminiscent of Star Wars Galaxies in the way combat worked. I felt like it was all about spamming all the hotkeys as fast as you could and everything would just die. I appreciate the suggestions, but EQ2 just doesn't seem like a good game to spend my next 3+ years playing.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Free to play and  not too anime looking sort of cancel each other out.

I'd look into Fallen Earth.  Post-apoc sci-fi with engaging combat and crafting.  Some call it sandboxy, but from what I gather that's a bit of a stretch.  It is F2P, nowhere near anime, and should probably be holding a fairly good sized community.

If you're a borderline Trekker, perhaps STO... but that's not something I usually suggest.  I tried it myself and the engine ran so badly I deleted it without making it out of the starting area.  It just didn't like my hardware.

Something retro would be Anarchy Online.  It's F2P, not anime.  Honestly I didn't have much luck running that either, but it was still much better than STO.

I'm assuming you've tried LOTRO.  That's generally top of my list in F2P suggestions.

If all else fails, Vanguard is going F2P.  Not sure when.  That's one I'm looking forward to.  Seamless world, no instances.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • s1fu71s1fu71 Member Posts: 220

The only game you mentioned that I have any long term experience with is: Eve.

You're right, it's cold out there and it can be empty. I'm sure you've read this before, but it's very accurate: Get into a good corp. It really does make all the difference.

You also mention liking F2P? If you're into PVP, I'd say give DCU a shot. It's free. You've nothing to lose, but time.

Long term though, I'd join Eve and get into a corp that fits your interests. Personally, after playing about half a year, I found that exploration was fun for me. So, I found a corp that does that.

My room mate likes PVP, so he joined a pirate corp in Nul sec.

His brother really likes hauling and mining. He moves from high, low and sometimes (with permission of the corp that holds territory in nul) Nul sec.

Any how, there's a lot in the game for just about anything you're into.

It's not about fighting, it's about balance. It's not about enlightenment, it's about balance. It's not about balance.

I'd prefer it to be F2P, but if the game is worth it, I'd certainly pay $15 a month to play.

I suppose as a general system, I thought that DDO had the best cost mechanic available. $15 flat for everything, or earn in game points which could be used to permanently purchase content. In effect, a player could buy X number of points, or pay $15 a month for Y months, and eventually they would own all content. If all games used that model, I would be in heaven.

I never thought I'd ever play a space game. I got hooked via the Clear Skies movie. In EVE, I was in an excellent corp. Very helpful, very mature, and good people. I was working my way towards wormhole space, and repeating level 3 missions (or maybe 4s?...the battleship ones). I tried hauling and mining, but that got boring VERY quickly. It just got repetitive, and lacked any story driven play. In the end, I decided that space games just weren't a good fit with me. I totally agree that EVE has something for everyone though.

I'll check out Anarchy Online and LOTRO. Post-apocalyptic games tend to use guns, and I'm just not a fan of guns in MMOs (nothing personal against guns, I'm a Texan after all!)

I really appreciate the feedback. I'll check out the suggestions and get back with ya. :)
  • grossman02grossman02 Member Posts: 7

Overall, I've decided that I'm only interested in free to play MMOs.  I have no trouble paying out of pocket for things, but I don't want to spend a monthly fee simply to own a game.  I've taken a look at some of the FAQs before posting.

• NightkinNightkin Member UncommonPosts: 48

Try Star Trek Online. You don't need to pay for it and you can get c-points with in-game currency (dilithium) what can be used in the item shop. Item shop ships are lil better than the standard ones but you have a chance to get thems without depositing your parent's payment.

• cure01cure01 Member UncommonPosts: 291

Vanguard Saga of Heroes in F2p soon   summer I think

And then there is always Lord of the Rings Online

• Florence95Florence95 Member Posts: 6

I like it very much!

I tried AO for all of 2 minutes (graphically unacceptable, character customization terrible), then looked at LOTRO. After some comparisons, I decided LOTRO was a clone of DDO...in fact, on checking, I found that the UI for both games were interchangeable. I liked DDO, and the LOTRO story/lore was always second to D&D for me, so I skipped on playing that one.

However, I did try Atlantica Online, and that was a fun game. Completely different type of MMO I ever played. Graphically beautiful, and very helpful layer community. Unfortunately, after talking with many of the higher leveled characters, each one of them said that past a certain level (anywhere from 80-100), it became a pay-to-win game, where you either spent $60 a month to gamble on items, or struggled hardcore. That was very disappointing.

The last of the line was Perfect World. After having tested all the previous MMOs in the last week, I wasn't expecting anything positive from this one, especially since no one recommended it. I was blown away by it though. After starting it up, it had all the gorgeous music from Atlantica I loved, but was even more beautiful. I haven't played much (level 10 cleric, 7 archer), but each minute I play, I feel immersed and forget about the world outside it. I found my next home for the next 3+ years. :)

I would really like to thank everyone for the feedback though. I learned a lot about the new MMOs (and some about older ones) because of this thread. I hardly expected more than one or two people to respond, and I got far better responses than I expected. Thank you, and happy gaming.

Liz

• LachyFTWLachyFTW Member UncommonPosts: 181

Just wait till you reach level 60 or so in perfect world, its a mindless grind and plenty of p2w items.

• SnakexSnakex Member UncommonPosts: 317

In all  honesty, i dont like DCUO f2p because its a PAY TO WIN style, thats right i said it, you feel like a one leged super hero in DCUO if you dont fork over cash.

So to that i say go enjoy Aion, YUP i said it  -AION- mark my words, you ask me why?

Nice graphics, you got wings, its a common fantasy RPG, so you know it can tickle you in that way you want.........kinda.

And you cant compain cuz its f2p with its depth is nice. As long as they dont make Aion Pay to win too.

if you dont like that go play Hello kitty online.

But on a more serious note, if youd like to shit urself of uniqueness, go play Darkfall =]