Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I heard that when you play Guild Wars 2, you spend real time doing so. Can you believe that ArenaNet

Comments

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Originally posted by Chrisbox

Its funny because there will be people who blow through and no life the game to an extent where they feel its an accomplishment to have done everything so quick, yet they really just have no lives.

And you define 'no life' as anyone who does it differently than you do, no doubt.   Which is why, as insults go, it's one of the more pointless.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Originally posted by Nevulus

or by distorting the truth to favor a positive position?

I mean cash shops were evil until Anet did it.

Grats on the troll post, you are what's wrong with this forum.

No, that's just a made-up factiod through which you construct a strawman argument.   Many cash shops are perfectly fine.   Others go too far.   Some start without going to far, but then end-up going too far.   Others remain benign through the life of the game.

Nexon cash shops -- very bad and exploitive.

LOTRO cash shop -- Not too bad, a few items I'd thinking about removing, but no big deal.

WoW cash shop -- Stupid vanity pets making it about as game-unbalancing as a glass of water.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by MosesZD

No, that's just a made-up factiod through which you construct a strawman argument.   Many cash shops are perfectly fine.   Others go too far.   Some start without going to far, but then end-up going too far.   Others remain benign through the life of the game.

Nexon cash shops -- very bad and exploitive.

LOTRO cash shop -- Not too bad, a few items I'd thinking about removing, but no big deal.

WoW cash shop -- Stupid vanity pets making it about as game-unbalancing as a glass of water.

No he's right there has been a segment of this community that have bemoaned cash shops (any form of cash-shop) at great length, the mistake he makes is thinking it's the same people who don't care or actually support the idea. Could there be overlap? Sure but who's actually keeping track?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• VowOfSilenceVowOfSilence Member UncommonPosts: 565

Originally posted by Ezhae

So the one thing more we need is offline gear progression, every 6 hours You get new piece of equipement, and as a bonus, every 30 minutes You have 33% chance to get a PvP kill on random player. 

Could even push it further and every 24 hours You get a low tier achievement, every week a mid-tier one and every month a raid boss kill achievement. Aw yeah. I think we just invented perfect game for big part of forum people. 

1 raid drop / month? When did GW2 become a grindfest like every other MMO?

I hope CS items will allow me to get at least 1 drop / week.

Hype train -> Reality

• VowOfSilenceVowOfSilence Member UncommonPosts: 565

Originally posted by mThree3

[mod edit]

Source?

Or are you just making up stuff on the fly again?

Hype train -> Reality

• mThree3mThree3 Member Posts: 60

Originally posted by VowOfSilence

[mod edit]

Source?

Or are you just making up stuff on the fly again?

Lol AGAIN? Try looking at the other threads explaining the cash shop not to mention there are video links now.

How the HELL do I make stuff up with less then 60 posts in 3 years lmfao

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

[mod edit]

Well, if the OP had remembered to use the sarcasm font, we wouldn't be in this prediciment now would we?

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Yes, it's a sarcastic thread. Cleaned it up a bit. Moving on....

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• AnkurAnkur Member Posts: 334

I will spend time and money both while playing GW2. Does that make me super special with Anet? ;)

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Ah man... Not yet another one... xD

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

Originally posted by Kyleran

Originally posted by DarkPony

It's true, OP. You will have to spend time playing this game. But we'll have to commend them on their efforts to keep it to a minimum.

Badum-tish!

GW2, the MMO for people who hate playing true MMORPG's.

Word!

LOL

This post remeinds me of the old commercial for O'Doul's Non-Alcoholic beer.

"It's what beer drinkers drink when they are not drinking beer."

I recall my initial respose being...no, I drink Coke.

• NightkinNightkin Member UncommonPosts: 48

Originally posted by Pandapranks

League of Legends would like a word with you. (most poplular game in the world)  Cheers!

Most OVERHYPED game in the world you meant....

Originally posted by Nightkin

Originally posted by Pandapranks

League of Legends would like a word with you. (most poplular game in the world)  Cheers!

Most OVERHYPED game in the world you meant....

It's not even an MMORPG.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

What's funny about this thread that the OP didn't realize was that ANet is testing a golem that will save you real life time by playing your character for you while you sleep, work, etc. Initially called the iGolem (see what they did thar?), it's a 12 hr consumable available in the cash shop. Apparently it can be programmed to swap between two weapons and will target and perform heart tasks only... random events don't seem to work quite so well. At the end of 12 hrs you're ported back to the town you left from with a random number of mystic keys added to your account.

So there... they're making spending our RL time optional!

(I forgot to mention that you can see a little golem on a characters shoulder while they're using this, that way you don't mistakenly invite them to a party.)

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by Volkon

What's funny about this thread that the OP didn't realize was that ANet is testing a golem that will save you real life time by playing your character for you while you sleep, work, etc. Initially called the iGolem (see what they did thar?), it's a 12 hr consumable available in the cash shop. Apparently it can be programmed to swap between two weapons and will target and perform heart tasks only... random events don't seem to work quite so well. At the end of 12 hrs you're ported back to the town you left from with a random number of mystic keys added to your account.

(I forgot to mention that you can see a little golem on a characters shoulder while they're using this, that way you don't mistakenly invite them to a party.)

This mechanic has actually been done before.

Research Jade Dynasty.

It's basically a built in bot that will grind while you sleep.

Of course, you have to use items from the Cash Shop to make it work.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I'd actually not read up on the "Golem" heard mention of it didn't pay it much mind, so I ask, is this serious? It's April 2nd if you didn't know :P.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by Distopia

I'd actually not read up on the "Golem" heard mention of it didn't pay it much mind, so I ask, is this serious? It's April 2nd if you didn't know :P.

It's still an April 1st thread though.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• NightfyreNightfyre Member UncommonPosts: 205

Originally posted by Kakkzooka

I heard this on the internets but I'm too lazy to look it up. Is it true?

Also, is this satirical writing subtley shedding light on the people who make posts like this in an effort to derail the legitimate excitement amassed regarding this game by distorting the truth to favor a negative position?

I be confusied abouts whats said here.. i needs pictures to elaborate on the ethics behind this; then do a 10 page report on why you were wrong to reply to my post.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

[mod edit]

Not everyone thinks cash shops are evil, contrary to what you seem to think.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

April Fools.....very nice.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• Scripture1Scripture1 Member UncommonPosts: 421

Originally posted by Chrisbox

Its funny because there will be people who blow through and no life the game to an extent where they feel its an accomplishment to have done everything so quick, yet they really just have no lives.

Dude becareful, they might set your lawn on fire for such comments... Wait nevermind, their too busy gaming, carry on!

• BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333

So is the intent of this thread to divert attention from Anet allowing people to buy gems with dollars and covert it to gold?  Which is RMT, just legal because Anet is doing it?

Maybe even to distract from the fact that you paid $60 for the game, and yet there's a cash shop? Is it true that WvW is effect by cash shop buffs because it is dependent on your PvE status? Pretty much because your skills are unlocked for WvW from PvE and PvE gained skill points.

Are people no longer allowed to care if a game becomes a money grab?

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

Originally posted by Betakodo

So is the intent of this thread to divert attention from Anet allowing people to buy gems with dollars and covert it to gold?  Which is RMT, just legal because Anet is doing it?

Maybe even to distract from the fact that you paid $60 for the game, and yet there's a cash shop? Is it true that WvW is effect by cash shop buffs because it is dependent on your PvE status? Pretty much because your skills are unlocked for WvW from PvE and PvE gained skill points.

Is your neglecting to mention that you can also buy the gems with in-game gold a diversion in and of itself? And yes - it's "legal" within the context of the game because ArenaNet is allowing it.

Since ArenaNet is telling us up front about the price of the game and the cash shop, I fail to see the distraction.

Neither of your remaining statements are true.

Absolutely they can care. A money grab is when a company is dishonest about their product before they sell it. ArenaNet is filling us in about what the game actually has by showing us. (Videos, a real beta, developer videos, journo beta videos, etc.) If you want to be mad at a company for making a cash-grab (a bait and switch, if you will) you should focus your ire on EA and SWTOR. It would be much more aptly applied in that direction.

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

Someone who offers a product has the right to charge whatever they want for it (at least in a capitalist society).  Potential buyers have the right to accept the pricing and purchase the product or decline the pricing and not purchase the product.  I've got no problem with the way they plan on monetizing the hard work they put into creating a game that should be fun for me, I will buy their game.  If you believe it is a "money grab", I would suggest not purchasing their game, as you would likely face a moral dilemna if you were to purchase said game.

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

Originally posted by killion81

Someone who offers a product has the right to charge whatever they want for it (at least in a capitalist society).  Potential buyers have the right to accept the pricing and purchase the product or decline the pricing and not purchase the product.  I've got no problem with the way they plan on monetizing the hard work they put into creating a game that should be fun for me, I will buy their game.  If you believe it is a "money grab", I would suggest not purchasing their game, as you would likely face a moral dilemna if you were to purchase said game.

I agree. A company can sell whatever it wants as long as the product or serveice is legal. And the company can also decide both price and business model. But people that dont like the service or product , the price and/or the business model dont have to buy it.

There are some people that dont like cash shops that sell advantage items. And the reason some are upset and are complaining is that they are dis appointed. They had no idea there would be a advantage cash shop and they are very surprised. I really think people in general can understand that if they think about it. And they complain because they care. They wanted to play the game and they hoped and believed it would be a game they could enjoy.