Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

this game is going to be a major disappointment.

Comments

• Games888Games888 Member Posts: 243

GW2 is going to own TSW so bad the TSW fanboy is already in a panic mode.

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

Originally posted by azrael466

No, I'm not saying the game is going to be bad, but at this point everyone is acting like GW2 is going to be a savior of the MMO genre. Its going to get hyped beyond belief, everyone is going to buy it thinking its the best thing since sliced bread, and then...Everyones going to get smacked with reality and think it sucks compared to all their little hopes and dreams.

Again, I'm not saying the game is going to be BAD, but I warn everyone who wants to buy this game to be aware this has happened before. It was a game called SWTOR..

OP......

If you fail to discern the clear differences between the quality of these two games then I fear what else you fail to see. 

Fear not though, just remember one thing;  I dont like onions on my Big Mac.

• Verum0Verum0 Member UncommonPosts: 55

No, I'm not saying the game is going to be bad, but at this point everyone is acting like GW2 is going to be a savior of the MMO genre. Its going to get hyped beyond belief, everyone is going to buy it thinking its the best thing since sliced bread, and then...Everyones going to get smacked with reality and think it sucks compared to all their little hopes and dreams.

Again, I'm not saying the game is going to be BAD, but I warn everyone who wants to buy this game to be aware this has happened before. It was a game called SWTOR..

Maybe not sliced bread, but it will be as good as spreadable peanut butter! FTW

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Originally posted by UOvet

Originally posted by GoldenArrow

Guild Wars 2 will be good at what it does.

B2P/w Cash Shop "mmorpg" with limited growth courve and character progression (no carrots to keep on playing) . It will be a fun game as long as it lasts, like Diablo 3, but under any circumstances is it a full fledged MMORPG?

No it's not.

Guild Wars 2 is something between an ARPG (/w Co-op) and an MMORPG but it doesn't quite reach either of these. There's a reason why GW2 won't be P2P game. It's because there won't be any carrots that would keep you playing/paying, however since it's B2P/F2P it will definately work for its genre.

You unlock all the skills really fast, there's rather few of them in the end since you can only use few sets (depending on the class) at the same time. The learning courve in the game is more into controlling your character and combining the traits/weapons into your style of gameplay. Sure there's unlocking the utility skills and such but even if you do unlock these you are not getting any more powerful since you can still only use (10 weapons skills+3 utilities+healing+elite) in a combat. 15 skills is quite a lot for an ARPG but then again quite little for a MMORPG. The gear progression is there from 1-79 but @ 80 you will only get very slight upgrades (i.e item with +20 power +10 vitality vs +25 power +5 vitality).

Press and players around have been telling that we are _finally_ breaking the treadmill and giving birth to a new breed of mmorpgs. Truth to be told CHARACTER PROGRESSION AND GRINDING IS THE CORE OF MMORPGs, you remove these and you are not a MMORPG.

Now don't get me wrong, Guild Wars 2 will be an awesome game and it's definately something different. But it will not replace games such as WoW/Rift/SWToR/Lotro/Tera/TSW and so forth.  I do however wish the very best to GW2 because it will take these "casual" gamers away from real MMORPGs and probably enhance the communities on P2P titles.

Now to reply to the OPs claim "This game is going to be a major disappointment."

The answer is YES. It will be a major disappointment for those who thought GW2 could replace P2P MMORPG X or Y. But for those who are looking for something new and different than MMORPGs it will be a major joy for years to come.

Personally I'm more hyped about games like The Secret World/Blade & Soul/ArcheAge and even Tera,  though I won't be playing it due to late release at May 1st. (D3 May 15th, TSW June 19th)

Yeah..I disagree. You must be apart of the younger generation of MMO players. Sorry if you think an MMO is about grinding. People don't even consider SWTOR (let's be honest it's a step up from Diablo lobby system almost) an MMO for the most part and it's just about progression/grinding. To me an MMO is about a living, breathing world you can choose to do what you want, whenever you want, because you can.

You'll never see ArchAge here (hope we do), but don't count on it. If we do you won't see it til probably 2014. Curious why you think GW2 won't  replace games like SWTOR (cause it's so good as a single player) and nobody knows how well TERA or TSW will do (hoping TSW is goood myself). Haven't heard much on it though, and haven't heard "great" things about TERA.

I believe AA will be dumbed down extremely before it releases in NA. I don't think the gamers here would play the orginal version of the game.

• AnkurAnkur Member Posts: 334

Originally posted by Games888

Originally posted by Tamanous

So many people can't seem to get past their schoolyard mentality. You don't have to pick sides and everyone with differing opinions doesn't mean they are trolls from other games.
  • jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

If you think it will be more then the facts show it to be, then your bursting your own little bubble. it will have no sandbox elements. TOR will never have them Wow will never have them. they simply want to make a tightly controled themepark with the focus being on top end raid gear. this is a fact for many of the themeparks coming and here.

GW2 is mainly PVP centric MMO themepark. your fooling yourself if you think it will have real housing. they simply don't want something they can't control in these MMOs. and thats players being able to create content.

EvE is the last true sandbox after SWG pre-NGE

We will never see another AAA sandbox in our life time. No game company wanst to take the risk moving away from the standard thempark template.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

Originally posted by Ankur

Another pissing conetst between GW2 and SWTOR fans? irony is that both sides think they are better and more righteous than each other. Calling each other trolls and immature and doing exactly the same thing for which they are accusing each other.

*shakes head*

Nice!, the voice of reason has entered the discussion and offered us his valuable input to the topic... oh wait... he didn't. I didn't see a pissing contest between the two games fans really. I've seen more negative comments thrown at TSW than at SWTOR. Please step off the soapbox and stop shaking your head long enough to read the thread before flinging holier than thou comments around. 

Maybe the game will be a disappointment to the OP though I doubt he was ever really intenting on playing it. I fail to see how it can disappoint since the team has let the media and the public follow the game through the majority of it's development. All the information, videos, dev team comments, etc.. is out there if someone cared to look.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• AkaisAkais Member UncommonPosts: 274

I think the title of your post is a bit inflammatory...

That said, I've little doubt there there will be some who get disappointed by GW2 due to ridiculous or uneasonable expectations.

That doesn't change the fact that Anet appears to have come through on every single point noted in their manifesto.

By all accounts this game is 'the truth" .

The fact that the game has no subscription automatically kills the momentum of rabid ranters or lasting criticism. Either you'll like it or you won't, but cause to complain constantly or threaten to leave end when no subscription is present.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Originally posted by Thorbrand

Originally posted by UOvet

Guild Wars 2 will be good at what it does.

B2P/w Cash Shop "mmorpg" with limited growth courve and character progression (no carrots to keep on playing) . It will be a fun game as long as it lasts, like Diablo 3, but under any circumstances is it a full fledged MMORPG?

No it's not.

Guild Wars 2 is something between an ARPG (/w Co-op) and an MMORPG but it doesn't quite reach either of these. There's a reason why GW2 won't be P2P game. It's because there won't be any carrots that would keep you playing/paying, however since it's B2P/F2P it will definately work for its genre.

You unlock all the skills really fast, there's rather few of them in the end since you can only use few sets (depending on the class) at the same time. The learning courve in the game is more into controlling your character and combining the traits/weapons into your style of gameplay. Sure there's unlocking the utility skills and such but even if you do unlock these you are not getting any more powerful since you can still only use (10 weapons skills+3 utilities+healing+elite) in a combat. 15 skills is quite a lot for an ARPG but then again quite little for a MMORPG. The gear progression is there from 1-79 but @ 80 you will only get very slight upgrades (i.e item with +20 power +10 vitality vs +25 power +5 vitality).

Press and players around have been telling that we are _finally_ breaking the treadmill and giving birth to a new breed of mmorpgs. Truth to be told CHARACTER PROGRESSION AND GRINDING IS THE CORE OF MMORPGs, you remove these and you are not a MMORPG.

Now don't get me wrong, Guild Wars 2 will be an awesome game and it's definately something different. But it will not replace games such as WoW/Rift/SWToR/Lotro/Tera/TSW and so forth.  I do however wish the very best to GW2 because it will take these "casual" gamers away from real MMORPGs and probably enhance the communities on P2P titles.

Now to reply to the OPs claim "This game is going to be a major disappointment."

The answer is YES. It will be a major disappointment for those who thought GW2 could replace P2P MMORPG X or Y. But for those who are looking for something new and different than MMORPGs it will be a major joy for years to come.

Personally I'm more hyped about games like The Secret World/Blade & Soul/ArcheAge and even Tera,  though I won't be playing it due to late release at May 1st. (D3 May 15th, TSW June 19th)

Yeah..I disagree. You must be apart of the younger generation of MMO players. Sorry if you think an MMO is about grinding. People don't even consider SWTOR (let's be honest it's a step up from Diablo lobby system almost) an MMO for the most part and it's just about progression/grinding. To me an MMO is about a living, breathing world you can choose to do what you want, whenever you want, because you can.

You'll never see ArchAge here (hope we do), but don't count on it. If we do you won't see it til probably 2014. Curious why you think GW2 won't  replace games like SWTOR (cause it's so good as a single player) and nobody knows how well TERA or TSW will do (hoping TSW is goood myself). Haven't heard much on it though, and haven't heard "great" things about TERA.

I believe AA will be dumbed down extremely before it releases in NA. I don't think the gamers here would play the orginal version of the game.

I never imagined on waiting for a NA/EU release. That'd be silly Oo

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Originally posted by Kuppa

Originally posted by Sylvarii

but I warn everyone who wants to buy this game to be aware this has happened before. It was a game called SWTOR..

Yeah, it was a game called swtor which you bought and supported.In fact you supported it so much that you accused anyone who didn't share you over the top support for the game a troll.

You keep keep your warning because it can't be taken seriously.

Many Tor supporters either dissapeared or are trolling other games now like they are the living example of a game gone wrong, oh wait....

Anyways, he seems to be looking foward to TSW judging by his avatar. Hope he doesn't get his hopes up.

So many people can't seem to get past their schoolyard mentality. You don't have to pick sides and everyone with differing opinions doesn't mean they are trolls from other games.

I agree this whole my game is better than yours is soemthing that suits to 10 years old.

I don't think there are GW2 supporters coming out saying GW2 is better than your game, sure there may be a few but most of the GW2 supporters are defending the game they choose to support against false and uninformed opinions, most of those opinions are trying to be misrepresented as facts. 

I have ZERO issue debating a problem with GW2 with someone who knows there FACTs, but the fact of the matter is most are just angry (no idea why), or they are trying to get attention by flaming a game that has a lot of informed and vocal supporters. 

If you look at most of the recent GW2 threads, you will see a derth of negative and vague posts made by someone attempting to sensationalize a minor obscure aspect to the game. Those same individuals will then proceed to back up there vague ideas with opinions they consider fact. 

I do not think GW2 is any better than any other game coming or released, but what i do know is that GW2 will be anticipated by me and my family and will be pre-purchased on April 10th.

Lolipops !

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Another pissing conetst between GW2 and SWTOR fans? irony is that both sides think they are better and more righteous than each other. Calling each other trolls and immature and doing exactly the same thing for which they are accusing each other.

*shakes head*

image But it is amusing to watch from the sidelines...

My 2 cents:

Yes, both TOR and GW2 suffer from the same over-hype as seems to infect so much of game marketing today. Must be a generational thing I don't get. The OP makes a valid point: games today get so over-hyped that, no matter how good they are, the fail to live up tp the high expectations frenzy that the PR guys whip the customer base into. Does this mean they are bad games? No. Just means they are victims of their own hype. I think this was the major flaw with TOR and one that I bet Bioware and EA (ok, maybe not EA) are looking back at with second thoughts. 

What I find more amusing here is how radical elements at both ends of the spectrum (haters/rabid fans) attack each other over the slightes perceived slight to their viewpoint....

But do carry on!

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

Originally posted by FlawSGI

*shakes head*

Nice!, the voice of reason has entered the discussion and offered us his valuable input to the topic... oh wait... he didn't. I didn't see a pissing contest between the two games fans really. I've seen more negative comments thrown at TSW than at SWTOR. Please step off the soapbox and stop shaking your head long enough to read the thread before flinging holier than thou comments around. 

Maybe the game will be a disappointment to the OP though I doubt he was ever really intenting on playing it. I fail to see how it can disappoint since the team has let the media and the public follow the game through the majority of it's development. All the information, videos, dev team comments, etc.. is out there if someone cared to look.

If i was holier than thou i would join one camp and flame others all day long. I am neutral and MMO fan in general so yeah i shared my thoughts on sad state of these forums which have recently blown up to ridiculous level of hypocricy. And if you didn't see a pissing contest you didn't read it all.

My post was as valuable as yours or you are also one of those who believes his opinion holds more value over others?

Originally posted by Voiidiin

but I warn everyone who wants to buy this game to be aware this has happened before. It was a game called SWTOR..

Yeah, it was a game called swtor which you bought and supported.In fact you supported it so much that you accused anyone who didn't share you over the top support for the game a troll.

Many Tor supporters either dissapeared or are trolling other games now like they are the living example of a game gone wrong, oh wait....

Anyways, he seems to be looking foward to TSW judging by his avatar. Hope he doesn't get his hopes up.

I agree this whole my game is better than yours is soemthing that suits to 10 years old.

I don't think there are GW2 supporters coming out saying GW2 is better than your game, sure there may be a few but most of the GW2 supporters are defending the game they choose to support against false and uninformed opinions, most of those opinions are trying to be misrepresented as facts. 

I have ZERO issue debating a problem with GW2 with someone who knows there FACTs, but the fact of the matter is most are just angry (no idea why), or they are trying to get attention by flaming a game that has a lot of informed and vocal supporters. 

If you look at most of the recent GW2 threads, you will see a derth of negative and vague posts made by someone attempting to sensationalize a minor obscure aspect to the game. Those same individuals will then proceed to back up there vague ideas with opinions they consider fact. 

I do not think GW2 is any better than any other game coming or released, but what i do know is that GW2 will be anticipated by me and my family and will be pre-purchased on April 10th.

Jesus man, i have slow day at work, financial year closing and all.. i mean really really slow days at work and spend majority of time here going through various MMORPG forums and i have seen GW2 fans trashing Rift, SWTOR, TSW, Tera, AA..you name it and they are there. So nope i really don't believe that they are as few as you want me to believe.

I would never accuse just one side but it does get tiring to see this happening on daily basis. 

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

You must have me confused for someone else.

I don't call anyone a troll, because no one knows what a troll is anymore. "Oh no someone disagreed with me they must be a troll".

Either that, or you're just an idiot. I can't really tell.

You had an arguement up until here.

Which is where you proved his case.

• BoatsmateBoatsmate Member Posts: 208

It's just the nature of people,especially Gamers, to get all hyped about the next huge thing. It must be terrifying to be a developer. It is like being one of those Rain Makers in those old Westerns whom the entire thirsty town is counting on to bring some water from the sky with fireworks and drums, and save their wretched lives (the nervous guys,usually drunks, the whole town ends up wanting to hang). Based on recent games released Gamers have a right to expect a lot of disappointment,and they are a cynacle bunch. But you have never seen anyone happier and more expressive about it in life than a group of Gamers fawning over their Precious when a game comes together like it should. Smiles.

Ballerinas are always on their toes. Why don't they just get taller ballerinas?

GW2 is no threat to TSW nor is TSW a threat to G2.

These games cater totally different gamers and while GW2 is going to be the massive mainstream "MMORPG".

TSW will get smaller, yet loyal and solid MMORPG fanbase. Probably around 500k-1mil subscribers. This of course would require Funcom to succeed in the launch unlike with Age of Conan. TSW will most likely go F2P/w CS later on but I'm expecting atleast a 2-3 year lifespan as P2P game. This is rather guesswork since I haven't gotten my hands on the game yet.

The "VS" debats for GW2 are rather uselss since GW2 is going to raise it's own "MMORPG" genre and probaly reign it for a quite awhile.

Originally posted by Volkon

Could you imagine a game that once you've logged in and tried it you found yourself so taken by what they've done as a whole that you simply couldn't find the will anymore to log into and play other games? That's the real threat that GW2 is to the subscription genre... time-competition. Yes, you can keep active subs to Eve, for example, but if what you experience in GW2 proves to be so refreshing, so encompassing that you don't bother playing those subscription games you WILL cancel those subs in time. Why pay for what  you're not using or suddenly don't care about anymore?

Once you play through GW2 you will be so bored out of your mind that you'll squeal back to your MMORPGs with actual carrots to keep playing. GW2 isn't a threat to P2P mmorpgs, it will only lower subs for 1-2 months if even that.

Short answer: No I couldn't imagine a game like that.

some people play P2P games for 2 months having paid more than $60 before going back to a prior game.

I don't think if anyone gets at least 1-2 months enjoymnet if not more, they will feel they go ripped off.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

Originally posted by FlawSGI

*shakes head*

If i was holier than thou i would join one camp and flame others all day long. I am neutral and MMO fan in general so yeah i shared my thoughts on sad state of these forums which have recently blown up to ridiculous level of hypocricy. And if you didn't see a pissing contest you didn't read it all.

My post was as valuable as yours or you are also one of those who believes his opinion holds more value over others?

I don't think my opinion holds more value than others, but I do try to keep my opinion related to the topic and not by making others opinions sound like something out of the schoolyard. Your post had ZERO to do witht he topic and I still didn't see the pissing contest. If you think this is a pissing contest then you haven't been reading the forums long because this is nothing. I don't see game A being compared to game B and claims that game A are better. I do see people using examples for the most part and I don't see that as the same. Your holier than though came across by making yourself out to be better than the ther people in the discsussion and has nothing to do with you picking a side. Try reading your original statement again and you'll see what I mean.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Jesus man, i have slow day at work, financial year closing and all.. i mean really really slow days at work and spend majority of time here going through various MMORPG forums and i have seen GW2 fans trashing Rift, SWTOR, TSW, Tera, AA..you name it and they are there. So nope i really don't believe that they are as few as you want me to believe.

I would never accuse just one side but it does get tiring to see this happening on daily basis. 

Of course, you fail to mention how these forums draws fans from all the others to trash this game.  Your claim of being unbiased holds no water.  I just wonder if you're even capable of seeing it.  I think you might actually believe you're being completely equitable with your criticism.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by jeremyjodes

If you think it will be more then the facts show it to be, then your bursting your own little bubble. it will have no sandbox elements. TOR will never have them Wow will never have them. they simply want to make a tightly controled themepark with the focus being on top end raid gear. this is a fact for many of the themeparks coming and here.

GW2 is mainly PVP centric MMO themepark. your fooling yourself if you think it will have real housing. they simply don't want something they can't control in these MMOs. and thats players being able to create content.

EvE is the last true sandbox after SWG pre-NGE

We will never see another AAA sandbox in our life time. No game company wanst to take the risk moving away from the standard thempark template.

You also won't be able to get your Masters degree in nuclear physics through the Asuran colleges, but no one expected that either. So what exactly is your point... it won't be what we didn't expect it to be?

Oderint, dum metuant.

FunCom

Nuff said

Originally posted by Unlight

Of course, you fail to mention how these forums draws fans from all the others to trash this game.  Your claim of being unbiased holds no water.  I just wonder if you're even capable of seeing it.  I think you might actually believe you're being completely equitable with your criticism.

See...the moment you percieved a little unbias into my post you come running to defend your GW2 camp's honor...like  a white knight in shining armor. Even though i clearly mentioned that i would never accuse one side but it does get tiring when people say only 'few GW2 fans trash other games'.

I think you missed that part.

Originally posted by GeeTeeEffOh

Originally posted by Volkon

Could you imagine a game that once you've logged in and tried it you found yourself so taken by what they've done as a whole that you simply couldn't find the will anymore to log into and play other games? That's the real threat that GW2 is to the subscription genre... time-competition. Yes, you can keep active subs to Eve, for example, but if what you experience in GW2 proves to be so refreshing, so encompassing that you don't bother playing those subscription games you WILL cancel those subs in time. Why pay for what  you're not using or suddenly don't care about anymore?

Once you play through GW2 you will be so bored out of your mind that you'll squeal back to your MMORPGs with actual carrots to keep playing. GW2 isn't a threat to P2P mmorpgs, it will only lower subs for 1-2 months if even that.

Short answer: No I couldn't imagine a game like that.

some people play P2P games for 2 months having paid more than $60 before going back to a prior game.

I don't think if anyone gets at least 1-2 months enjoymnet if not more, they will feel they go ripped off.

That's exactly how it is. GW2 is definately worth your money and your time. I'm just annoyed with this "OH IT'S THE PERFECT AND FINAL GAME, I DON'T NEED ANY OTHER GAMES EVER" kind of mentality around GW2. I expect people to play GW2 for few months rather intensive but they will start looking for another games to satisfy the MMORPG gamer in them. People might not realise this yet but as they say, time will tell :J

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494

+1

• VanadromArdaVanadromArda Member Posts: 445

I just LOVE how all of those dissapointed SWOTR fans come in here and drone about 'Oh, you don't know what you're in for..'. Just beause they experience a major let down, they become uber cynical and feel they should preach like the followers of Jesus Christ, shoving their belief down everyone's throats. When truth be told, a lot of the Guild Wars 2 fans have been pleased with Guild Wars and look forward to the next evolution of the game, have been waiting for this game a while, and have come from a long history of dissapointment from other games.

Hell, it was the Guild Wars 2 community who warned the SWOTR guys not to fall for the hype, but they did. Now those very same fools who fell for the SWOTR hype are going back to the Guild Wards 2 people and telling them not to fall for the hype.

I find this funny as hell really.

This discussion has been closed.