Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

this game is going to be a major disappointment.

azrael466azrael466 Member Posts: 365

No, I'm not saying the game is going to be bad, but at this point everyone is acting like GW2 is going to be a savior of the MMO genre. Its going to get hyped beyond belief, everyone is going to buy it thinking its the best thing since sliced bread, and then...Everyones going to get smacked with reality and think it sucks compared to all their little hopes and dreams.

Again, I'm not saying the game is going to be BAD, but I warn everyone who wants to buy this game to be aware this has happened before. It was a game called SWTOR..

Playing
Nothing
waiting for
The secret world
Played
WoW, DCU online, star wars: the old republic, city of heroes, city of villains, everquest, plenty more I'm probably forgetting or aren't worth noting.

Comments

• maxiime223maxiime223 Member Posts: 94

I know it's not going to completely revolutionize the MMO genre, but it'll sure be one of the best games we've had in a while.

I'm not expecting this game to change my life; just to entertain me and to be great!

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566
  • DarknezzzzDarknezzzz Member Posts: 82

I have a dream... My experience with mmos will be changed with GW2 coming out.) Not sure about yours.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

It really comes down what you expect. I expect a funny little casual friendly game, with some RvR feeling from old DAoC, and a little new spin in combat.

Do i expect to much? I dont think so... but as i expect just a little funny casual game it will not fall everything apart if it is not as funny as expected. But if you expect a holy grail, you will for sure be dissapointed. All the buzz about GW2 is just, because it looks at least decent, and all games in the past 5-7 years were completely utterly shit. So almost everything looks great in comparsion with shit. Just imho..

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

You say it will be major dissappointment

Im saying it will receive huge sales which will only increase as the word of mouth spreads, making it unofficial #1 among MMORPGs

Bumping this thread for future reference

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Being one of the people caught up in the Pre-SWTOR hype, and then being disappointed after playing the game, I have seen this coming for a while.

Whilst GW2 looks like it is going to be a truly excellent game - definately the best on the market - GW2 IS NOT THE HOLY GRAIL

Im sure everyone, me included, will have fun with GW2, but its got no chance of living up to the pedestal people are putting it on........because games never do. 

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

Not touching this one....

Not even with DP's cane.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

The title is a bit too strong compared to what you're actually saying :).

Anyhoo, if you haven't learnt to keep expectations low by now, now is the time to start. Makes things so much easier.

• bill4747bill4747 Member Posts: 202

Sure, GW2 will not be perfect. it will not put a Million dollars in my checking account. It will not send a dozen beautiful models to my home.

But all it has to do for me to be happy is to be Less of a dissapointment than Warhammer was.

Seriously though, the list of features in GW2 is amazing, and unlike most mmorpg's, will actually be in the game at release!

• azrael466azrael466 Member Posts: 365

Originally posted by Pigozz

Im saying it will receive huge sales which will only increase as the word of mouth spreads, making it unofficial #1 among MMORPGs

Oh, I dont doubt that'll receive very large sells, now I doubt they'll increase if the current attitude of "GW2 will save the MMO genre single handedly! it'll bring about the second coming of christ as well as give us all free tacos" doesn't end simply because reality is completely different fom your expectations. When you expect a sandwich and a reach around anything less, no matter how awesome, is a disappointment.

Playing
    Nothing
    waiting for
    The secret world
    Played
    WoW, DCU online, star wars: the old republic, city of heroes, city of villains, everquest, plenty more I'm probably forgetting or aren't worth noting.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Originally posted by azrael466

No, I'm not saying the game is going to be bad, but at this point everyone is acting like GW2 is going to be a savior of the MMO genre. Its going to get hyped beyond belief, everyone is going to buy it thinking its the best thing since sliced bread, and then...Everyones going to get smacked with reality and think it sucks compared to all their little hopes and dreams.

Again, I'm not saying the game is going to be BAD, but I warn everyone who wants to buy this game to be aware this has happened before. It was a game called SWTOR..

If you believe it will be overhyped then it is. I for one think it is not so therefore it isn't.

Also, Confucius says man who goes to bed at night with itchy butt wakes up in the morning with stinky fingers. <--Trying to keep this thread light and free of trolls. Anyone else with Confucius jokes? ie. Confucius says that man who farts in church sits in his own pew. :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

I expect it to be an improvement on guild wars which is a good game, its silly to have these hyper expectations, I went into swtor knowing that bioware knows how to put together a good story and that was what I was expecting and that is what I got, I was also pleased that I got good combat, and companions, the only thing I was a bit dissapointed in was the space game but I know bioware willl fix it

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

One thing, and one thing only.

This game is not over-hyped.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Oh, I dont doubt that'll receive very large sells, now I doubt they'll increase if the current attitude of "GW2 will save the MMO genre single handedly! it'll bring about the second coming of christ as well as give us all free tacos" doesn't end simply because reality is completely different fom your expectations. When you expect a sandwich and a reach around anything less, no matter how awesome, is a disappointment.

Stop being such a drama queen with this kind of quotes, I've never seen anyone praising GW2 so much as you're interpreting in your posts...

From what I've seen and played, the game brings much more than what I've expected. This game will probably have the best release ever, because even now it's polished and I haven't seen any bugs yet - so that's a pretty good start right there.

We don't know how it'll affect the genre, but the most important thing is: they're atleast trying to refresh the mmorpgs and bring a lot of new stuff to the genre. That's why everyone is so excited about this game, because we can finaly get our hands on something new and refreshing...

I don't get this hate, but as you have an Illuminati avatar it might explain it...

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• MuntzMuntz Member UncommonPosts: 332

If you are basing your "troll prophecy" on forum posts maybe, however, that is a vocal minority filled with extremes that really likes tacos. Each individual has their own expectations how do you gage where they are all at and what it will take to meet them? 

Confucius he say, man who go through airport turnstyle sideways, going to Bangkok

Confucius he also say, man who run in front of truck, going to get tired. Man who run behind truck get exhausted.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

pony's sig rulz!

my 2c.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.

Especially if you get F'd in the A

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by Volkon

One thing, and one thing only.

This game is not over-hyped.

True. But it can cure bilharzia by just basking in the light of its loading screen for five minutes.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

I have to question any game that is using full sale pre-orders for beta access. Seems fishy to meet right there and it is obvious that they are going for the cash!

• Games888Games888 Member Posts: 243

to the Op all I can tell u is The Secret World is going to be the biggest joke this year and u are waiting for it so I dont know whats the point of this post.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Actually, yes. Some people will get dissapointed. But that happens when every MMO releases.

If you want a game that totally redefines the genre you might never get it.

I am happy with a game that is fun to play and doesn't feel exactly like all other games that have released the last 8 years (small indie games excepted).

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Originally posted by DarkPony

Here, quick!

OMG that is the best sig EVER!

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Unlike SWTOR, we've been able to see, play and test this game. We have reviews from unbiased sources about the game.  So unless this is the biggest MMO illusion in history it will live up to the hype that reviewers have stated at least. 

If you go into a place believing it will disapoint, it probably wil. If you go into a place believing its great, you'll have a better time. 

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by Thorbrand

I have to question any game that is using full sale pre-orders for beta access. Seems fishy to meet right there and it is obvious that they are going for the cash!

They're going for a final, huge group of stress-testers that they know will be in there with some dedication and vested interest in helping churn out the best game they can do. If one million people pre-purchase, for example, that's nearly one million people guaranteed to be smashing into their servers come April 20th, and doing so through valid, pre-set up accounts, much like will be expected during the live phase. As a matter of fact, it's an account database that won't have to be deleted or purged and a ton of people that will also be in on a three day head start, helping spread the initial population out some amongst the zones before the 1 day early people and the "official start" people.

Oderint, dum metuant.

This discussion has been closed.