Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Face it, WoW is finished

Comments

• DollMighty8313DollMighty8313 Member Posts: 179

As much as people think I doubt wow will be dead anytime soon.  MoP will drive a lot of people right back, then they will leave again for the next expansion.  The game is losing subscribers, but it also gets people coming back all the time. 

• zephermarkuszephermarkus Member Posts: 201

Originally posted by Azrile

Originally posted by travamars

One day WOW will go F2P and it will still be one the top games out. Your grandkids might be playing it and wanting to use your CC to buy some gold.

I think the F2P model for AAA titles is a little overdone.   DDO had huge success with it the first year... but we really haven´t heard of AAA companies making incredible profits since then.  Certainly for EQ2 and AOC it did not work because even with f2p they have not seen any real increase in players, let alone more money.  I think DDO was successful at it because they were the first AAA title that did it and also their content (with adventure packs) really lends itself well to free2play.  They also implemented a very generous system that didn´t handcuff your gameplay.  You could play almost every race and class and quest through a ton of content without ever paying.

.adslot-overlay {position: absolute; font-family: arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.65); border: 2px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.65); color: white !important; margin: 0; 2147483647; text-decoration: none; box-sizing: border-box; text-align: left;}.adslot-overlay-iframed {top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; bottom: 0;}.slotname {position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 13px; font-weight: bold; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertical-align: middle; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); text-overflow: ellipsis; white-space: nowrap; overflow: hidden;}.slotname span {text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-transform: capitalize;}.revenue {position: absolute; bottom: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 11px; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertial-align: middle; text-align: left; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); font-weight: bold; text-overflow: ellipsis; overflow: hidden; white-space: nowrap;}.revenue .name {color: #ccc;}.revenue .horizontal .metric {display: inline-block; padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .horizontal .name {padding-right: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .metric {display: block; line-height: 1.5em; margin-bottom: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .name, .revenue .vertical .value {display: block;}.revenue .square .metric, .revenue .button .metric {display: table-row;}.revenue .square .metric {line-height: 1.5em;}.revenue .square .name, .revenue .square .value, .revenue .button .value {display: table-cell;}.revenue .square .name {padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .button .name {display: block; margin-right: 0.5em; width: 1em; overflow: hidden; text-overflow: clip;}.revenue .button .name:first-letter {margin-right: 1.5em;}a.adslot-overlay:hover {border: 2px solid rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover {cursor: not-allowed; border: 2px solid rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}

Don't talk about things you don't understand it makes you sound like an idiot. F2p is the wave of the future p2p is on the way out. Blizzards next game is actually f2p but anyway back to my point. Eq2 saw huge profits when they switched to f2p and the main reason why now vanguard is being revamped and gong f2p. Eq2 actaully saw a 33% increase in profit. Please do research before you talke please. I won't give anymore examples you can find them yourself.

• zephermarkuszephermarkus Member Posts: 201

Originally posted by dollada06

As much as people think I doubt wow will be dead anytime soon.  MoP will drive a lot of people right back, then they will leave again for the next expansion.  The game is losing subscribers, but it also gets people coming back all the time. 

Imo I woudn't call people coming back for an expasion for a couple months and leaving again a success. Also to all you people still using this 10 and 11 million subs number for wow pls stop. Bizzard counts asia in those numbers and there the game is f2p so acctually they aren't subs and the real number of subs isn't that many. If you add up eu and north america you get maybe 1 million subs if that and we all know no matter how much of a fanboy you are US and EU subs are all that matter in wow because we give them the most profit. Do some real research and don;t use xfire and dumb shit like that for your numbers use the public files and such about the company you can find them I belive in you. Side note swtor has aboutthe same amount of subs as wow if you don't count asia.

• BoatsmateBoatsmate Member Posts: 208

It seems to be fading in the same slow,self-destructive way as the Roman Empire,being chipped at from both inside and out. The change in management a couple of years back brought decisions that caused a big exodus of older and more serious gamers. A constant barrage of ftp and new entries keeps chipping away. The turn down in the economy makes Gamer's dollars more competitive. I doubt there will ever be one big,killing blow to that game. It will just keep taking hits from inside and out and slowly fade. Nothing lasts forever. Someday McDonalds and Walmart will disappear. I suspect they are prepping that new,hush-hush game to roll out when the time is right.

Ballerinas are always on their toes. Why don't they just get taller ballerinas?

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by zephermarkus

Side note swtor has about the same amount of subs as wow if you don't count asia.

the last time Blizzard gave a break down in 2008

- it was 4.5 million for US & EU   No asia

http://eu.blizzard.com/en-gb/company/press/pressreleases.html?id=2443799

http://wow.joystiq.com/2008/01/22/world-of-warcraft-hits-10-million-subscribers/

Asia is the biggest market at the moment, with more than 5.5 million players, as compared to North America's 2.5 million and 2 million subscribers in Europe.

SWTOR is nothing like that

• khelbonkhelbon Member UncommonPosts: 124

Excuse me sir/ma'am but on these forums we do not post WoW bash threads. These were so 2011. Today er post either SWTOR is dieing threads/SWTOR is growing threads or why GW2 will either fail/succeed threads.

We will also except threads on why cash shops ruin games. For bonus points you may post a thread on why the cash shop in GW2 will ruin the game.

Thank you.

Also to quote a South park episode "How can you kill which has no life?"

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

WoW isn't going to die anytime soon if EVERQUEST is still running. 

However I do think WoW is getting too large for its own good.

I'd imagined an extremely obese man that intermittently yells in a lonely and desperate voice "Looooove Meeee!" between bouts of vomiting content all over himself.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• The_GekkoThe_Gekko Member UncommonPosts: 28

Originally posted by dollada06

Imo I woudn't call people coming back for an expasion for a couple months and leaving again a success. Also to all you people still using this 10 and 11 million subs number for wow pls stop. Bizzard counts asia in those numbers and there the game is f2p so acctually they aren't subs and the real number of subs isn't that many. If you add up eu and north america you get maybe 1 million subs if that and we all know no matter how much of a fanboy you are US and EU subs are all that matter in wow because we give them the most profit. Do some real research and don;t use xfire and dumb shit like that for your numbers use the public files and such about the company you can find them I belive in you. Side note swtor has aboutthe same amount of subs as wow if you don't count asia.

Sorry, but your "F2P" comment for Asian players seems lacking in details. It is not F2P in the traditional sense, that is to say that each player has had to at one point purchased an account key to create an account, as account keys there are available for purchase without the software. Second, each account must purchase game time to play, usually in game time cards. Just because monthly subscription options aren't available there, game time still needs to be purchased to play, hence accounts there can still count towards WoW's total subscriber base.

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Originally posted by BribarianI

I know the population will remain high and a bunch of naives will be jumping around with their storebought pets and mounts and now classes, but it's over.

Need gold?  Just buy a boe pet and sell it

Dont feel like leveling?  Buy yourself scroll of resurrection

What's left?  They've milked almost all of it down to nothing, but go forth and level in MoP, within a few months after the expansion the scroll of resurrection will be bumped up and some clown will just lol past you and you timespent leveling like a fool.

There is no such thing as progression in WoW, because it is simply handed out when blizzard needs a few bucks.

how is it "over" if the population remains high?

• sapheroithsapheroith Member Posts: 116

Originally posted by Nadia

Side note swtor has about the same amount of subs as wow if you don't count asia.

http://wow.joystiq.com/2008/01/22/world-of-warcraft-hits-10-million-subscribers/

Asia is the biggest market at the moment, with more than 5.5 million players, as compared to North America's 2.5 million and 2 million subscribers in Europe.

That is so 4 years ago, and every1 know their sub number dropped significantly in recent times.

WOW: The Most Well Known Non-Free Non-Browser Client-Based 3D Fantasy MMORPG In Some Parts of the World.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Why do other kids like to bash things most kids enjoy :/. Try to be happy for them maybe instead of bait and trap + cyber harass someone else's game.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by sapheroith

Originally posted by Nadia

That is so 4 years ago, and every1 know their sub number dropped significantly in recent times.

But wasn't it noted that WoW is still at over 10million subscribers? Sure they dropped recently, but they are still above 10 million and you bet for a short time that number will rise when MoP releases, as much as my friends hate WoW(so they say) they always go back, for every single expansion and they are planning on it again. Like someone said earlier, it's most peoples first MMO and the nostalgia and previous love for the game always brings them back.

If I was to make a safe estimation for SW:TORs overall population in NA/EU i'd say it's around 1.1-1.2m, which is nowhere near what WoW is.

Also on topic, WoW is not dying anytime soon, the game has a long life ahead of it still. Whether it is dead to you or not is a different story.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

If WoW dies before something takes its place, the mmorpg genre dies.  What makes other devs think their copycats can survive when people no longer enjoy playing the real thing?

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

I know the population will remain high and a bunch of naives will be jumping around with their storebought pets and mounts and now classes, but it's over.

What's left?  They've milked almost all of it down to nothing, but go forth and level in MoP, within a few months after the expansion the scroll of resurrection will be bumped up and some clown will just lol past you and you timespent leveling like a fool.

There is no such thing as progression in WoW, because it is simply handed out when blizzard needs a few bucks.

Ok then...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

Yeah just gotta wait for 10 million subscribers to stop paying.  What's that gonna take a week maybe two?  It's not like they have a "Titan" of a new MMO coming up that they want everyone to migrate to next.  Thumbs up image on predicting the future of gaming.

Yeah maybe someone will make a CoD MMO so we can really show off our skills.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I don't play WOW, haven't for quite some time now.

My son and his friends all play WOW and seem to enjoy it.

They aren't changing games any time soon (though I've managed to get them marginally interested in GW2, mostly because its B2P)

They must be "wrong"

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Even if (and that is one big IF) WoW was closed tomorrow, it still had one heck of a run. I don't think anyone would call the game a financial failure...

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Originally posted by TheHavok

Ah, that made me laugh out loud.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

If WoW is finished all the other MMOs are dead, cold and rotting.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Well Rift is still going strong with about 25 servers and WoW still has about 200 just in this North America. There are 100s of others throughout Europe, and I don't know how many in China. WoW is far from finished. If Blizzard would start to consilidate servers it would take years to do and they don't need to. The population is still plenty strong. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602

You cannot deny WoW has a certain vibe. I'm sure Pandas expansion is adding a lot more to the game. I used the scroll of resurrection and I had 5 days of fun. WoW still does what it does best; offering "hardcore" raiding and plenty of endgame for casual players. Starting zones, controls and UI are very new-player-friendly. The world is colorfull and friendly. Besides the developers has a wellknown international reputation. You know their development and technical departments will never let you down.

Of course newcomers have arrived on the market. Rift is an excellent game, with nice features and polished content. Still it misses a vibe. I never was able to hang out in Sanctum, like I could in Stormwind or Ironforge. Following around a silly gnome. Sit around a campfire. Jump over canals. Duelling outside the gates. Rift lacks atmosphere. It misses the sugarcoating.

As long as Blizzard manages to hold on to that vibe, WoW will never die. 

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

@OP: Finished - uh..no. Until a game comes along that workks as smoothly and offers as much to do as Wow - it'll be around.

The only game I'm interested in atm is Archeage and that's not even a sure thing yet because of lack of NA distribution. I played SWTOR for a month and realized after low FPS and boring game play that there was no way it was going to challenge Wow for dominance.

I came back to Wow partially because there's nothing out right this moment and my wife wanted to give me a Scroll Of Resurrection so she could get all the goodies. The 1st thing I noticed when I signed back in is that I was getting ay least a steady 60 FPS in Orgrimmar - smooth as silk. The second thing I noticed is while PVPing in Tol Barad with 50 other people it was also smooth as silk.

The game just works so damn well - and this is one of the main reasons their successful.

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

this is finnish, but not the end!

http://www.myvideo.de/watch/2242565/R_I_P_ULI_Helsinki_Is_Hell

WoW might die once blizz switches off the servers, before that, all you self proclaimed game-prognostics can start as many "WoW is dead!" posts as you like.... won't help you tho :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550

just quoted for truth and fact