Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is It Worth It?

2»

Comments

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by Poonjabi

Originally posted by Dragonantis

Originally posted by elocke

Originally posted by Dragonantis

Originally posted by ghostinfinit

Originally posted by Poonjabi

It's such a bummer.  I wanted this game basically to be an upgraded version of FFXI.  Essentially FFXI with better graphics, updated UI, and just a different storyline.  

That's what a lot of us were hoping for and it broke my heart.

I feel your pain my firend, 2 years I was devoted to the FFXIV community, only for FFXIV to break my heart :(

Yep, same feelings here as well.  Was hoping they would keep the awesome immersion and gameplay of FFXI but give us better UI, controls, character feedback, new story and better graphics.  I had always wanted FFXI to play like WoW, control and character feedback wise, but keep the rest of partying, mob agro mechanics, missions, quests that mean something etc.

Instead we got a skeleton framework of a game that forgot all the conventions of the past decade in MMORPG growth and even it's own predecessor, FFXI's nuances that made it special.  So sad.

Good news though, today FFXI had a new patch that actually added a new control scheme that from the patch notes, looks like they are modernizing the controls.  I'm seriously contemplating resubbing to FFXI. 

Wow I didnt know they did a live stream of FFXI on youtube.

Just staring at this makes me want to go back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=579V8l7sl-8

Is it just me, or does the music alone just draw you in.  It's like a long lost friend calling your name.  You just want to go up to them and say 'hey, long time we need to catch up.'

It's not just you.  I started whistling the tune right away as if I had been listening to it today.  As of right now, I'm reinstalling the game.  I think I may just completely start from scratch, just have to find a good group of people and the ideal server to play with.

• PoonjabiPoonjabi Member UncommonPosts: 63

Not exactly sure why I did it, but I bought a copy of FFXIV and I'm currently downloading it.

I figured I'll just trudge through the crap, find the good, and stick with it until 2.0 comes out.  From what I've heard from my friends who I played with for over 5 years on FFXI, it really sounds like they are doing what's right for the game finally and making it more and more enjoyable.

Since I consider them to be of the same mind as me, I'm hoping I will find those to be true statements.

I'm hoping my GPU will run it for now, at least until I install my new GTX 560 that I ordered last week and am awaiting.

Just wanted to update my situation a bit...

I downloaded and have started to play FFXIV.  I love the 'feel' of the game.  It feels like I'm playing FFXI but a lot more pretty in terms of the environment.

I'm enjoying the gameplay as well, and I love the fact that, similar to FFXI, there's  a steep learning curve so there's always more and more things to learn and explore for yourself.

I rolled a Marauder to start as I felt it would be really accessible to get my feet wet and I am really enjoying it. 

I'm actually running the game on my ATI HD Radeon 4870 and it's been very, very good.  I haven't had one framerate hiccup and I've had a really enjoyable experience.

Obviously this is all early, but it was the performance of the game I was most worried about, and it's been extremely good so far.

I'm really enjoying my time.

• alyosha17alyosha17 Member Posts: 156

That's good.  Exploring the world for the first time is the best part though. The biggest issue people had with FFXIV was the lack of an intuitive interface, and I think FFXI fans were more forgiving in that department than everyone else.  So my point being, if at first glance, you still like the game, then you probably aren't in the same boat as all those negative reviewers who hated it within the first five minutes.

Unlike FFXI though, this game lacks the same kind of progression, like going to Valkrum for the first time and so on.  At the moment, there's basically three starting areas and little else.  Version 2.0 will remedy that though, I think.

I've been playing since release (and hating every other minute of it) but obviously there's still people like me who play and enjoy it despite all its faults.

My only reluctance to stay with the game is my fear that the new directors will cheapen the gameplay, and improve superficial things while ruining some of the good things (they already kind of did this with crafting).  At this point, combat is probably not going to get any better either.  New monster, new dungeons, new PvP; these are the only improvements you'll get from now on basically.

Yeah, I decided instead of trying to blow through it I'm going to take my time, level up a bunch of jobs from 1-20, just get a general feel for all the classes, and hopefully set myself up so that when the time comes that 2.0 comes out I will be ready to move forward and be ready to delve in head first.

I must say I like the combat.  I know that's a big knock the game gets, but I've had fun trying out the different classes and seeing what everything has to offer.  I love the accessibility of the levequests, and for me, the exploration of the beautiful zones can really keep me busy for awhile.

I feel that same immersiveness that I had when I first started FFXI, and apart from FFXI, I never had that sense when playing other MMOs (Rift, AoC, LotRO, etc.).  Something about the Final Fantasy MMOs must draw me in - maybe it's the awesome music.

• alyosha17alyosha17 Member Posts: 156

well I think also there is such a  high attention to detail in their gameworld not found in other MMos.  I mean, I think SE spend more time designing and making a light fixture in FFXIV than other games do when making an entire building, by the looks of things.   I think most other MMOs are very paint-by-numbers and generic too, especially in regards to the overall story.  Sometimes that works in their favour though, because they're more accessible, and often aimed to please.  But also makes them bland.  In other MMOs, if they want to have you fight a huge dragon or something, they will make some flimsy pretext just so they can put one in.  FFXIV on the otherhand, has a more cohesive gameworld, lore wise.

Personally, I think the combat system for FFXIV is very old-school, but not in a good way.  Click on mob -> click ability ->confirm ability, etc.  The biggest challenge is targeting the correct mob.  After that there's not much to do besides stand still and cycle through abilities.  I think SE have a lot of stiff competition from other MMOs in this department.  And SE doesn't really recognise that.