Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Battlefield 3 Pay to Win????

ZarynterkZarynterk Member UncommonPosts: 398

My buddy text me earlier to ask if I have seen the new BF3 patch info yet. I said no, and he informed me of the new system where you can pay to unlock kits. Obviously I wanted to check this out for myself and started up Origin... to my not-surprise there it was right in front of me...

My question to all of you is this; do you care, does it bother you? Me personally no, I have unlocked all of the kits I care about... but my buddy was hot pissed calling it Pay to Win. In an mmo I would say, yeah that kinda is... but in a FPS I wouldnt necessariliy agree...

Comments

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Originally posted by Zarynterk

My buddy text me earlier to ask if I have seen the new BF3 patch info yet. I said no, and he informed me of the new system where you can pay to unlock kits. Obviously I wanted to check this out for myself and started up Origin... to my not-surprise there it was right in front of me...

My question to all of you is this; do you care, does it bother you? Me personally no, I have unlocked all of the kits I care about... but my buddy was hot pissed calling it Pay to Win. In an mmo I would say, yeah that kinda is... but in a FPS I wouldnt necessariliy agree...

I saw this.  I haven't played BF3 in a month, but it's still on my rig and updates.  And then I saw the popup from Origin making the offer to pay money to unlock everything that you otherwise had to get via ingame accomplishments/progression.  TBH, my heart sank when I saw this.

Business-wise, it's a shrewd move by EA.  But as an old Battlefield fan, it was disappointing to see DICE go this route.  Some of those unlocks you really had to go out of the way and play hard, and/or out of your normal playstyle to accomplish and unlock them.

I mean, you can pay to put you on par with a player that put alot of effort to get all those unlocks.  For me, in MMORPG terms, it's like selling in a cash shop end-game / raid / top-tier gear or abilities.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405

It's just the first step

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR6-u8OIJTE

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

i personaly dont care. it's actually nice to have the option to pay instead of having to grind the stuff. dont get me wrong i wont spend a cent more on this game, but especially for those just starting it can be a few months of getting owned before they are on par with everyoen else.

in the end it doesn't give you an advantage over everyone that doesn't pay it just skips the grind.

as long as they dont put kits that you can only get by paying i'm ok with that. let those that have money spend it.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

BF3 has been a disaster all around anyway. I was in the alpha and immediately knew I wouldn't buy the game after trying it out.

That said, when a company goes this route it just means they will make it harder/longer to unlock new things in the future so people will be convinced to just pay money. Maybe if they had made a solid game in the first place they wouldn't be trying to find other ways to bring in the cash.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

This is seriously bad news, I was literally looking at it today, thinking I could play this until GW2 came out.

Frak!

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Originally posted by Warmaker

I saw this.  I haven't played BF3 in a month, but it's still on my rig and updates.  And then I saw the popup from Origin making the offer to pay money to unlock everything that you otherwise had to get via ingame accomplishments/progression.  TBH, my heart sank when I saw this.

Business-wise, it's a shrewd move by EA.  But as an old Battlefield fan, it was disappointing to see DICE go this route.  Some of those unlocks you really had to go out of the way and play hard, and/or out of your normal playstyle to accomplish and unlock them.

I mean, you can pay to put you on par with a player that put alot of effort to get all those unlocks.  For me, in MMORPG terms, it's like selling in a cash shop end-game / raid / top-tier gear or abilities.

Highlighted red is why I play games, regardless if it has a cashshop or pay to win option. Does it borther me that people that can't really game have a option to buy themselfs in? No not really even though those people find all sorts of excuses to why they buy ingame items, and none of those reasons will ever make sence to me as it's against my gamers believe.

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701

Really wouldn't call it P2W. 

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Yea BS move by EA , not surprised though. 

It sells and not enogh ppl stop playing cause of that things.

Bitching over and keep playing does not really work. Corporations watch on behavioral patterns in game ,not on what someone SAY in forums. 

Saw countless times "omg this is bad , shit ,etc. But I still play" <-- if ppl do like this then hardly surprising companies don't give a fcuk

• Professor78Professor78 Member UncommonPosts: 610

Originally posted by spaceport

It's just the first step

"I think it represents a better future for the industry"

Says what we already know, money>consumers. :(

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Yea that's lame

I'm not with this, but still isn't Pay To Win.

Though if they sell some really nice shit you can't get that's stronger than normal, and you can only pay for it, then that's more so on the Pay To Win and Advatange side.

Still for the way this game is set up, that is not good.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• Originally posted by Professor78

It's just the first step

This assumes there is no feedback mechanism. 

Money is not greater than consumers.  The consumers have the money.  The statement makes no sense.  Unfortunately the people running the games seem to think along these lines too.

We will see some good games destroyed by this before they learn the lesson.

• Goll25Goll25 Member UncommonPosts: 187

It's disgusting how low the game industry went in just a year. Nickel and dime the shit out of people. This isn't so bad, it's pay to get a head start on better weapons, not really win. This isn't an MMO where the better equipment wins, you got to figure accuracy, reaction time, and smarts in to it.  Between all this DLC and unlocking items on disc, is gross. I'm so fed up especially with EA that BF3 is my last game I will buy from them till they get there shit straight. Also they should imporve orgin to make it a legit cometitor to steam, or just give up on it and put there games on steam. Orgin is a joke, and they should feel bad. 

• MavacarMavacar Member Posts: 328

Originally posted by Professor78

It's just the first step

EA seriously died to me :(

"When you've been playing BF for 6 hours and you run out of ammo, and we ask for 1 dollar for reload... you're really not very price sensitive at that point" - John Riccitiello

• itbewillyitbewilly Member UncommonPosts: 351

Really? thats what upset you? Did you not play Battlefield Bad Company 2? It had those same kits. You know what those kits offered? Jack Shit pretty much. All the kits are are the same weapons but with camo paint instead. I was under the impression that when i got shot with a gold colored gun on ps3 that they had an improved version of the gun but all the kits in BFBC2 were were just guns with a different skin. All the Stats were the same. If these BF3 Kits are the same then who cares? The classes are easy as hell to max anyways. The only reason to buy those kits will be for the camouflage guns. Anyone who plays casually thats half way decent should have all the specs maxed out in no time.

Just my two pennies.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

it doesnt bother me at all. Bad company 2 also sold kits for each class (all weapon packs and gadgets). It only make sense for people who just play Battlefield to kill other players (pvp)...  i play BF bad company 2 and Battlefield 3 (obviously for pvp too) but i care about my character progression and unlocks. If i buy every kit with real money then i have no reason to play again since i wont have anything else to unlock (no, i dont mindlessly play shooters for the sake of shooting). I ussually stop playing FPS after i unlock everything.

Although i dont mind the kits sale in BF3, i think it is not worst than call of duty elite nonsense (i play MW3 too and i wont pay for elite, oh noes thanks)

• DamonDamon Member UncommonPosts: 170

Personally, I don't like that players can purchase the unlocks in BattleField 3.  I play this game a lot, when I'm not playing an MMO, and I really enjoy the gameplay.  It won't stop me from playing the game or purchasing the upcoming expansions, but I was a little disappointed.  For me, part of the fun is the progression of playing and unlocking everything in the game.  I want to personally unlock every weapon, every sight for every weapon, and all the vehicle abilities.  When I am working with a new weapon, and I'm using sights and attachments I don't normally use, that is part of the fun, because I like to try and still top the other players in the competition of gameplay while putting myself at a handicap.  If I just have everything unlocked at once, and pick the best of the best, then it's just about dominating with the best weapons, etc - and that isn't as fun for me.  In an MMO, it would be comparable, but not identical, to purchasing max level and top rated gear for $40.  I would be skipping out on everything that matters to me as a player of a game.  It is, after all, about playing the games...isn't it?

• KalmarthKalmarth Member Posts: 443

Its make no diffarance, if you cant shoot straight or play as a team you will still suck, FPS is about skill not the gear you have.

To be honest if you play to get the unlocks you at least get to know the maps and have a chance to build up your skill playing, if you pay for it you better be good right off the bat or you will be the best geared dead man there is.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

My main problem is that someone can fork the money to give him the same tools that another more seasoned player has.  That more seasoned player had to accomplish a WHOLE LOT more things in-game to get the unlocks that he has.

They might as well destroy the rank, progression, and unlock system altogether and just make all unlocks available as soon as you make your soldier.

It's not P2Win in a bit of the F2P sense with MMORPGs, but it's pathetic, that's what it is.  There is no reason to do different things in the game and be rewarded for your efforts.

Man do I look even more fondly now at BF's days with BF2 and 2142.  Wow...

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

EA is a publicly owned company. They are legally required to put profits above all else (and stay within the extents of the law, of course).

The CEO is paid top dollar to push and successfully execute ways to make more money off you.

Personally, I do not like it. If this really proves to be substantially profitable to them, then it will be a slippery slope and they will continue to slowly push boundaries.

But for stuff like this, it only succeeds if the playerbase allows it. If you vehemothly disagree with it (and I personally do), then close your wallet, walk away, and make sure to provide concise feedback on why you are doing so.

If you do agree with it (and maybe even like it), then all I will say is good for you and keep supporting what you like.

And if you're in the middle, then you're in the middle. And maybe as time progresses you'll slowly gravitate towards one or the other.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

Another reason to avoid such shiat. The video about jumping out of a plane firing a rocket and getting back into the cockpit midair was fun, almost thought about to buy it.

This is crazy how currently the game industry changes....no thank you !

Do they think we are all stupid.

Just shows what origin/steam is about......just a ripp off.

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

Ea sure does love to give me more reasons not to buy there games...  and I liked battlefield games.. :(

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

It's just the first step

This is for me as a customer of many games from EA .....abhorrent. I think they cross a red line with this. Unbebelieveable...I was a big fan of the battlefield series, starting with BF42, BFVietnam up to BF2...this is a slap into the face and not really customer friendly anymore with such a game system.

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256

No, this does not bother me in any way whatsoever.  BF3 is mostly reliant on skill, not gear.  Yes some gear sets counter others well, but you know that risk when picking your class for a battle.  I like this change because I have a pretty busy life, and other games I like to play.  I'm only like level 22, and I feel like I've played a TON of BF3 since it launched lol.  So being able to buy the higher level kits is a huge + for me.

• DkompozeDkompoze Member UncommonPosts: 245

Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

BF3 has been a disaster all around anyway.

Your  post is a LIE,not a flame or troll but a LIE. Everyone knows their beta was garbage,but the game right out of the box was awesome. With such a detailed intricate game sure there were bugs,but this has been one of the best shooters released in a long time.  At least on PC,no one cares about consoles.

There is no pay 2 win scenario here. Pay to be lazy, yea maybe, but def not pay 2 win. Some of the best wepons in the game are default ones. Unlocking kits gives you options but nothing you can unlock gives you a "winning"advantage.

With 4 expansions slated to drop this year, 1 rather soon, im not sure why they are doing this. Im leaning towards nothing more than greed.

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

So no one is upset that COD and all new FPS have stupid unlock systems but me?  Why can't FPS just be you bought it to play it and your time ingame should not be about getting new weapons.

With that said, really who cares?  Because they decided that if you bought it today you were behind on the items so you can purchase them, big deal.  I bought at release have more than enough unlocked and still kick enough ass for my taste.  If someone getting a few unlocks.

But how is it pay 2 win is my question.  FPS are skill based games, granted most weapons are more powerful than the standard issue weapon, but anyone who was serious about playing BF3 bought it at release or shortly after.  If you decide to buy it now and buy an unlock pack awesome for you.  It gives you ZERO advantage over me.  That is pay to not waste your time unlocking all the weapons, not pay 2 win.