Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: Laethys

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

MMORPG.com has partnered with Trion Worlds to bring our readers new lore behind Laethys. We have a terrific story about this "Lord of the Ogres" and her quest for gold and power. Read on!

Once, in another world, there was a little kingdom by the sea. It was a poor little kingdom, but happy—the rivers rushing to the sea made the fields fertile, and the bay was thick with fish. Its people, who called themselves Ogres, were strong from hard work and hale from good food. But the Ogres looked with envy upon their neighbors, who did not work quite so hard because their mountains hid glittering riches.

Time passed, and the Ogres wanted more.

Read more of our exclusive look at Rift: Laethys.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

This reads more like a clumsy "in less than 200 words" than a well-written story piece.

Try harder.

• krondinkrondin Member UncommonPosts: 106

I love the Lore, but i do agree that it should have been written much better. It just didnt flow well enough to read comfortably.

• BoatsmateBoatsmate Member Posts: 208

I thought it was clever,witty,creative, and good story telling. Of course  I don't fancy myself a writer like many. very good job.

Ballerinas are always on their toes. Why don't they just get taller ballerinas?

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586

"He chanted, reading from a child-skin book"

Good for a chuckle, but overall an awkwardly written tale.

Definitely did not make me interested enough to resub Rift.

• hypersanhypersan Member Posts: 63

Written as a fairy tale..neat.

New approach. 

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Good read

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Laethys is going to be epic.  1.8 has some fun stuff in it and still at no extra charge beyond the sub fee.

Right?

Laethys is going to be epic.  1.8 has some fun stuff in it and still at no extra charge beyond the sub fee.

1.8 is actually kind of depressing to be honest as a fan of this game for so long. The gear requirement gating is literally getting ridiculous.

The main thing that separated this game from WoW was the ability to gear for raids outside of being forced into instanced content. Right now they are starting to fail and it is going to accelerate bad in 1.8. The gear gating on ID is utterly ridiculous and maybe 10% of the population is geared enough even enter.

When a majority of your playerbase has not cleared the current raid after 8+ months you are failing as a dev in my opinion. My sub money is going towards a very small part of the playerbase and I am starting to get tired of it.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

Ouch.  Tough read.

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

Originally posted by Puremallace

1.8 is actually kind of depressing to be honest as a fan of this game for so long. The gear requirement gating is literally getting ridiculous.

The main thing that separated this game from WoW was the ability to gear for raids outside of being forced into instanced content. Right now they are starting to fail and it is going to accelerate bad in 1.8. The gear gating on ID is utterly ridiculous and maybe 10% of the population is geared enough even enter.

When a majority of your playerbase has not cleared the current raid after 8+ months you are failing as a dev in my opinion. My sub money is going towards a very small part of the playerbase and I am starting to get tired of it.

No offense, but how does a dungeon that's diffucult make a game fail. Diffuculty is the best thing about a game, it makes the reward for the accomplishment that much better. Not every game or MMO rather need's to be easy mode or toned down for the masses. And I'm glad Trion see's this and isn't budging, yet.

• Asuran24Asuran24 Member Posts: 517

Originally posted by mackdawg19

No offense, but how does a dungeon that's diffucult make a game fail. Diffuculty is the best thing about a game, it makes the reward for the accomplishment that much better. Not every game or MMO rather need's to be easy mode or toned down for the masses. And I'm glad Trion see's this and isn't budging, yet.

I have to agree that gating content so that you actually have to play the content that comes before the current patches content is not bad in my book, since it makes it that players actually learn to play in those previous content prior to getting into the current content, as well as make it that prior content is not left completely empty as well. To me it is the playerbase that have not been attaining the needed ggear, or progression to access new content that are failing, since the devs have given the players that tools to gain access to the content. That was something i liked about vinilla wow was that players could actually learn to raid in the iniatial raids like the prior raiders did, while not making that new raids had to be toned down to allow them access, and so also content was not completely left vacant till an expantion. Even forms of gating like keying/attunements for intstances or raids i found nice, and interesting so that raids could actually know if you were ready for that raid or instance, based on having completed the attunement quests, which needed a certain gear/progression to complete which worked as a gear check in ways. Raids like any content shoujld be tiered with beginner content at the lowest tiers that you start in, and then which give you what is needed to progress to the harder as they go up. For myself i would say only when a expansion comes out should the raid tiers of the last game, even be looked at for diffiulty reductions yet even there i would say no they should not be. The reason for that is that after progressing thru the new levels as well as gear your going to out-gear the instance, and so going back would be for vantity reasons as such leave the difficulty so you get more feeling of achiving somethign out of it. Another thing is that if only a select few groups of players are able to play in the current content, than the devs can get ahead of the playerbase, and use that time to flesh out further areas or content even creating more raids to keep the players engrossed in the game long after they take a break from content production in that area. Like making four raids while only having a small portion of the game's op playing in two of them, and choosing to overhaul the pvp in the game or such without feeling rushed.

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

• Lex_TalionesLex_Taliones Member Posts: 38

A lot of people are commenting on how poorly written this was.  I think maybe you're looking at it from the wrong perspective.  This doesn't appear to be an epic chronicle of history, but more like spoken word, like a fairy tale.  I picture this being told by an elder to a child somewhere.  Maybe I'm wrong, but that's the flavor I get.  Especially with an opening line like "Once, in another world, there was a little kingdom by the sea."

Just my opinion.

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894

Even if you don't like the story that Screen Shot is killer.

• Asuran24Asuran24 Member Posts: 517

Originally posted by Lex_Taliones

A lot of people are commenting on how poorly written this was.  I think maybe you're looking at it from the wrong perspective.  This doesn't appear to be an epic chronicle of history, but more like spoken word, like a fairy tale.  I picture this being told by an elder to a child somewhere.  Maybe I'm wrong, but that's the flavor I get.  Especially with an opening line like "Once, in another world, there was a little kingdom by the sea."

Just my opinion.

I got to agree that it was writen in more of a style that you would use when re-telling a story that was handed down to you thru ages, such as how many ghost stories are told, or even native american tales as well. For myself with how orges are actually portrayed in many mediums both in rifts as well as in other media, being much more of a shamanistic or tribal styles of culture it fits well. Even looking at it as if Laaethys is the one actually retelling the story to his brethren inbetween destroying worlds does sound somewhat true to form.

• dippitydodahdippitydodah Member Posts: 130

Was the story an Analogy for Electronic arts?  Replace Ogres with EA and it still works great.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

I liked it, the style is definitely like that of a fairy tale or a fable. I just wish I wasn't so far off from this content (only level 25 ATM).

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

I really wish I could get into the end-game for RIFT because the leveling was frickin great.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • AsaomarAsaomar Member Posts: 1

So what you're saying is that you haven't joined a guild capable of clearing HK yet and as such, Trion fails?  My guild went 8/11 in one month.  We had GSB/RoS on farm, and just went in there.  There is absolutely no reason, between the T1 raid gear and the crafted gear that you can not have most, if not all of HK on farm at this point.  The fights have been super nerfed since it came out.  Don't blame Trion because you haven't bothered to clear the content.

Warhammer Online
    Badlands Server
    Asaomar-40/52 Blackguard
    Animosity Guild

Originally posted by Asaomar

So what you're saying is that you haven't joined a guild capable of clearing HK yet and as such, Trion fails?  My guild went 8/11 in one month.  We had GSB/RoS on farm, and just went in there.  There is absolutely no reason, between the T1 raid gear and the crafted gear that you can not have most, if not all of HK on farm at this point.  The fights have been super nerfed since it came out.  Don't blame Trion because you haven't bothered to clear the content.

My big issue right now is in my head one MAJOR and I mean MAJOR MAJOR difference between WoW, Rift, and TOR is the way to get gear. Rift has the advantage of meaningful open world content that allows you to get meaningful gear doing open world content.

So even 7 years from now if they progress the system correctly I will still want to go do a Stillmoor raid that rewards Inscrbed that allows me to get raid gear and earn it.

• BereKinBereKin Member Posts: 287

Nice tale. Rift is getting more and more interesting mmo. It mix of old and some new featurs are good enough to appeal to veterans and newcomers. Trion did one smart thing: they seen how things work and things that dont work, and developed the game accordingly to those measures. Nice work guys, keep it up.