Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 installation size

DragviperDragviper Member UncommonPosts: 100

I know we are not there yet but I was wondering, does GW2 will come as full installation the whole game or will download and install in order specific areas that we visit once we start the game? Like in GW1, when you were playing and visit for first time a new zone, the game then download it and install. How is working in the beta? Thanks for any clue about this

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

No one has seen or heard anything about a streaming client as far as I know.

I'd assume you download the whole thing in one go. I'd also assume that if it was streamed, with the size and complexity of the zones, it would be downloading massive amounts for each zone and wouldn't be practical at all. Downloading 2 gig or summat each time you step into a new zone would be terrible. So tbh, we wouldn't want it streamed.

Any comments about the size of the beta client might as well be ignored because most of the game was off limits, including two races.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

I think it followed a similar structure like Guild Wars I, but I am not 100% sure since I never played it. As far as Beta sizes go, well you have to download the .exe file which is about 20.1 MB. You install that and you will have 2 files: a GW2.tmp file which is 0 bytes in size and the actual game itself: GW2Stream.dat file which is about 10.9 GB.

As it downloads it shows you how many files you have left. I made a shortcut off the exe and ran it off that. It will check to see if there are any updates (everytime you run it), and it will install those files [if any] before taking you to the log in screen.

• DragviperDragviper Member UncommonPosts: 100
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

https://buy.guildwars2.com/

Right at the bottom of the page the System Requirements says you need 25 Gig HDD space. Hope that clears it up for you.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

It will be more like a full installation.

The reason GW1 loaded the way it did, was because the players hosted w/e part of the game they were playing. So, if you were by yourself w/ henchmen playing PvE content, you were hosting your own game. In GW2, they are running their own servers, and as such it will function a lot more like a traditional MMO.

Hope that makes sense.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Full retail client will surely imho be over 20 GB.  Well over propably.

That's just new reality., all new AAA mmorpg's will be 20 GB+ . 

Swtor and Tera are as well.

I would not be surprised if we start see 30-40 GB + mmorpg's soon enough.