Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gems->Gold+Guild Promoter = Influence = P2W in WvW

stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

OK, Everytime I say that the GW2 cash shop is looking like its going to be a P2W affair I get flamed down by the Fanboys, but every day I come to this site and see more information released about the cash shop which seems to support that fact. 

I really want to play this game as it seems by far the best MMO on the horizon, but if I am forced to use the cash shop to be able to play WvW competitively then I will probably give it a miss. 

Today, I saw this video on MMORPG.com and also learned about the NPC Guild Promoter

Gems can be purchased for $ and then sold to other players for coin(gold)

The Guild promoter lets you convert coin(gold) into influence, which allows you to purchase upgrades which will give you an advantage in WvW. 

In the video you can see at 3.29 all the advantages you can gain by spending influence.......which can ultimately be purchased with $

If Guild A has lots of rich members that keep pumping in $ to the cash shop, and then using the gold to buy influence, that guild will have a massive advantage over guild B which does not do this. If a whole server had this mindset then that server would be unbeatable in WvW compared to other servers that dont spend real $

I have made my point, and several others in the past that lead me to beleive that the cash shop will lead to a P2W mentality and ultimately unbalanced PvP.....................

can someone explain to me how this is NOT pay 2 win. I really want to understand how things such as the above wont influence balance and gameplay

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

Comments

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Dude,

Seriously.  Don't like it,  don't play it.

It isn't pay-to-win because you're grossly overestimating the supply and demand side of gems.  Yes, you buy gems. Yes you can "try" to sell gems for gold.  If too many people are selling gems, the amount of gold individual gems are going to fetch will be vastly lowered.  But you're ignoring the fact that people who buy gems to sell for gold have to have someone WILLING TO BUY THE GEM for their gold.

So FFS's... if people don't want people to have gold for influence then you shouldn't have people buy gems with gold.

Seriously, did we HONESTLY need another whine thread?  Don't like it, don't play it.

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

This theory only works if gold is actually hard to obtain in the first place, which you have 0 idea if it is or isnt. Also what you are saying is no different than large guilds having more power than smaller guilds simply because more members = more currency to throw around, so should we also put a small cap on the amount of people that can even be in a guild?

You are getting flamed because all the anti GW2 threads are based on pure speculation and assumptions. Come here with some actual facts and people may actually listen. 

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

Originally posted by stragen001

can someone explain to me how this is NOT pay 2 win. I really want to understand how things such as the above wont influence balance and gameplay

If you've ever bothered to read the threads here about GW2 and the shop, you wouldn't be asking this question, hence I believe it's a baiting post.

If you haven't, then I suggest you do read first as they more than adequately explain for those who don't mind it why they think so. Again, not believing you haven't seen one thread here so I'll again go with the baiting post.

Either way this topic is the dead horse which everyone is beating on without one iota of fact to back them up. The debate has exausted all other possibilties.

Let it rest until the game actually comes out?!

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

OP, its just another gold sink, nothing more, no P2W

Buying influence to upgrade is no different than upgrading or upkeeping in the rest of the game, it  takes gold + supply. Both of these can only be aquired through game play.

There is nothing wrong here, unless Im missing something, its possible...lol

• VotanVotan Member UncommonPosts: 291

From my understanding the balancing aspect of this is supply.  You can have all the gold in the game but without supply you can not upgrade, make seige weapons ect.  So it is not simply have a ton of gold that alone will do you no good at all.

• DecoyTrooperDecoyTrooper Member Posts: 239

c u in-game

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Do we really need two threads covering the same subject?

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

yawn. Already a thread about how GW2 is p2w for some. Move along nothing special.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

F*cking really?! You had to make a thread to discuss THIS?! You couldn't have just used one of the other, much bigger threads that are already discussing the same exact thing?

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

I am pretty much anti-GW2 and I am getting tired of these P2W threads. Like others have said, if you don't like it, don't play it.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

We have an overflow of cash shop threads right now. Please continue in an open thread like this one, http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/345378/In-WvW-siege-weapons-cost-gold-Gems-buyers-have-a-WvW-advantage.html where there's a similar line of thought going and room for multiple opinions.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.