Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gameforge F2P high risk business model playing without paying

NortonGBNortonGB Member UncommonPosts: 279

Quite a lot of starters find that the restrictions on chat and trading make them feel isolated, unless they join a legion where they can chat with guild mates only they are limited to whisper at lvl10 and cannot trade at the broker.

Gameforge EU will say it has been designed to prevent gold seller spam but what they really want is for players to purchase a gold pack in the cash shop.

Fair enough, they have to make an income but they seem to be stubborn about announcing their declared high priority path for starters to get veteran status which unlocks nearly all the Aion features..

So is the game free-to play for starters? well in-fact it is if you are prepared to lvl your character up to lvl40+ that can take some weeks or months because starters are allowed to purchase gold packs from the broker for just under 10kk kinah.

Making enough kinah to purchase gold packs only becomes easy at lvl50, that's a high lvl to obtain for a starter.

Is it not easy to enjoy playing a starter long term as getting enough kinah is a grind at early levels, some will do it many will give up or wait for NA to release on April 11th.

The Gameforge business model is very risky if many leave for truly F2P NA, they could end up with empty servers.

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

Good thing the US version will be nothing like that. I love Lineage 2's new truely free model, and Aion is apparently going to be the same, which is you get everything for free just vanity stuff in the shop and leveling boosts.

• khartokhar3khartokhar3 Member UncommonPosts: 486

Originally posted by NortonGB

Quite a lot of starters find that the restrictions on chat and trading make them feel isolated, unless they join a legion where they can chat with guild mates only they are limited to whisper at lvl10 and cannot trade at the broker.

Gameforge EU will say it has been designed to prevent gold seller spam but what they really want is for players to purchase a gold pack in the cash shop.

Fair enough, they have to make an income but they seem to be stubborn about announcing their declared high priority path for starters to get veteran status which unlocks nearly all the Aion features..

So is the game free-to play for starters? well in-fact it is if you are prepared to lvl your character up to lvl40+ that can take some weeks or months because starters are allowed to purchase gold packs from the broker for just under 10kk kinah.

Making enough kinah to purchase gold packs only becomes easy at lvl50, that's a high lvl to obtain for a starter.

Is it not easy to enjoy playing a starter long term as getting enough kinah is a grind at early levels, some will do it many will give up or wait for NA to release on April 11th.

The Gameforge business model is very risky if many leave for truly F2P NA, they could end up with empty servers.

well its not realy hard to earn ingame money. drops in theo are very good and as i posted in an other thread even casuals can get enough money in few days to buy the gold pack. btw i would recommend new ppl to start on new servers since everything is cheaper there. veterans on old have a big amount of money in their warehouse so ofc everything is more expensive there. the gold pack for example costs on vehalla ~3.6kk.

• NortonGBNortonGB Member UncommonPosts: 279

Originally posted by khartokhar3

well its not realy hard to earn ingame money. drops in theo are very good and as i posted in an other thread even casuals can get enough money in few days to buy the gold pack. btw i would recommend new ppl to start on new servers since everything is cheaper there. veterans on old have a big amount of money in their warehouse so ofc everything is more expensive there. the gold pack for example costs on vehalla ~3.6kk.

It may not be hard but it is very important at level 30 for starters to upgrade their equipment, the best items in brokers costing1kk or more, this means starters are forced to spend their savings on gold pack with nothing left to buy what they need.

I'm not saying it can not work but with truly F2P NA veteran status is free, there is no restrictions also there are plenty of gold sellers in EU servers so why will players pay to restrict them if it doesn't work?

In my honest opinion players will use the cash shop when they are having a lot of fun and want to support the servers, they generally won't buy things with a GF gun at their heads.

It may not be hard but it is very important at level 30 for starters to upgrade their equipment, the best items in brokers costing1kk or more, this means starters are forced to spend their savings on gold pack with nothing left to buy what they need.

I'm not saying it can not work but with truly F2P NA veteran status is free, there is no restrictions also there are plenty of gold sellers in EU servers so why will players pay to restrict them if it doesn't work?

In my honest opinion players will use the cash shop when they are having a lot of fun and want to support the servers, they generally won't buy things with a GF gun at their heads.

nah u dont need the broker untill lvl 40+. just use a green weapon which u get from surveys or get a blue one with coins. u will get enough gear droped which u can breake for enchantment stones. thats what i did. used a blue lvl25 weapon which i upgraded to +10 and used it till i was kinda lvl 40+. i didnt used the broker till around lvl 45.

and actually when u are lvl 40 u should have made around 10kk or more. otherwise u have spent your money for trash :)

• NortonGBNortonGB Member UncommonPosts: 279

That sounds right thanks, however the GF business model has only promised a path to veteran status which means that EU starters have to currently buy a gold pack every month just for the same features as P2P.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

nah u dont need the broker untill lvl 40+. just use a green weapon which u get from surveys or get a blue one with coins. u will get enough gear droped which u can breake for enchantment stones. thats what i did. used a blue lvl25 weapon which i upgraded to +10 and used it till i was kinda lvl 40+. i didnt used the broker till around lvl 45.

and actually when u are lvl 40 u should have made around 10kk or more. otherwise u have spent your money for trash :)

Except that doesn't really work for tanks does it. They need to constantly update their armor to remain viable in group play. Unless of course the dependancy to gear has changed wildly since it launched.

I tried to play the F2P version, but had difficulties with my account. Or better said they did. They lost my account after I had transferred it. and it took them 10 days to give me a proper response in that time they even closed my inquiry twice without doing anything. I'd say don't even bother with Gameforge version of Aion.

That sounds right thanks, however the GF business model has only promised a path to veteran status which means that EU starters have to currently buy a gold pack every month just for the same features as P2P.

well even the veterans need the gold pack too. otherwise they cant farm the instances daily. but makin money ingame is not a real problem when u reached lvl40+.

but yeah gf promised to make veteran status available for starters too..guess it wont take long till they found a good way for that.

Originally posted by Connmacart

Except that doesn't really work for tanks does it. They need to constantly update their armor to remain viable in group play. Unless of course the dependancy to gear has changed wildly since it launched.

I tried to play the F2P version, but had difficulties with my account. Or better said they did. They lost my account after I had transferred it. and it took them 10 days to give me a proper response in that time they even closed my inquiry twice without doing anything. I'd say don't even bother with Gameforge version of Aion.

im playin a cleric and i have been in instances with tanks with full green gear. if u socket the right stones u wont have any problems. the low lvl instances are realy easy. u dont need a good gear for that. a tank is always as good as the clerics heal skills. so yeah it also works for tanks. and anyways to me it was much faster to lvl solo with questin then goin to inis with grp.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

When i played beta AION f2p thru gameforge on EU servers has long as you get to lvl 10 you get veteran status which gives you all the chat..i,m kind of thinking the US version would be the same,but that was only if you got into beta..i can'nt be sure for you guys but EU works fine..most of the stuff they want you to purchase is cosmetic crap in store from what i've seen.hopefully you guys in the US get the same.the only difference btween veteran and sub is cooldowns on dungeons.i think

• JimyHumuHumuJimyHumuHumu Member UncommonPosts: 251

i actually love their model. finally a f2p game which actually lets you play for free, OR whats more important, sells plain and simple 10 euros/month sub which unlocks everything you as a freebie had no access too. The game is playable as a free player too, but its just much more enjoyable experience if you spend at least 10 $/euros (and they even sell monthly subs in game, so imo, just one time payment is good enough to get started). 

no hidden fees, no powerups, no cash shop armors, no cash shop upgrades with 800% higher chance to upgrade your armor compared to in game methods, its a simple 10 euros monthly fee if you chose to.

Wish they would actually stick to this system and if it proves profitable more companies could follow them. I just recently moved from allods to aion, and decided to get gold pack, it really wasnt necessary (but as i already said it does make time you spend in game more enjoyable) but i actually wanted to support them.