Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I really need help finding THE MMO for me...

predbitespredbites Member Posts: 3

Hi all,

I have had a sketchy past when it comes to MMO's. I started many years go with Star Wars Galaxies and I really enjoyed the amount of skills available, the way you could have a house and decorate it and the general scale of the game itself. I also loved the Space update they provided but when they completly changed gameplay and removed a large part of the way the game was played, I decided (with most of the other players) to leave it and try something else. I then started playing Tabula Rasa and I really enjoyed this. I liked the way the "Logo's" worked and I really enjoyed the "control point" towns that you had to either defend or try to take. Once that closed I started playing Earthrise and, again, I really liked it as it was a cross between Star Wars Galaxies and Tabula Rasa but now that is also closed. 

(I did also play Lego Universe for a small time as it was quite fun......till that closed!)

I was wondering if anyone could sugest a MMO that plays similar to the ones I have plaied in the past?

I have tried WOW, Aion, Rift and LOTR but found them all to be basicly the same. By that I mean that 90% of the misions are:

Go and collect a number of items then bring them back,

Go and kill a certain amount of that creature,

Go and kill a boss/harder creature.

I don't mind doing them misions but I want there to be something else within the game so that it's not always the same thing.

What does anyone suggest?

Comments

• Mythios11Mythios11 Member Posts: 129

In my opinion, Rift (in it's current state) probably offers the most in terms of dynamic content and events to help break up the monotony of questing. 

Once GW2 comes out that will certainly be a good option for you seeing that ArenaNet is really trying do away with the traditional questing mechanics.

At the end of the day though, fetch and kill quests are a staple in the MMO genre so it may be time to look at another type of game.

Best of luck to you.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Well, with SWG you have some sandbox experience under your belt ... ever tried EVE?

Of all mmorpg's I played I value it the highest. The cliche that you need a 5 year old character just to compete is a lie. (Though you can always officially buy them from other players). But with a new character you do need around half a year to start pwning face in small ships or to start making some serious profits with missions, exploring, trading or mining.

In pvp you can start contributing long before that, for example by signing up for Factional Warfare in expendable ships if you so desire and there tons of newb friendly corps willing to help you out with whatever career you prefer, from piracy to mining and from trading to low sec roams.

You need to be able to get past the learning curve though, a little help from corp members is also great for this.

• Rhianni32Rhianni32 Member Posts: 222

If you are wanting to do multiple things outside of the questing you might try EQ2.

They have collections of items found in game you can work towards and a large number of them give house decorating items. The player housing options are quite extensive and one of the crafting classes lets you build furniture. They have a ton of content these days so lots to see and do. It recently went F2P so wouldn't cost you anything to give it a try.

• predbitespredbites Member Posts: 3

I do like the look of GW2, I have tried EVE a couple times but just couldn't seem to really get going. Maybe I should give it another go.

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

Vanguard goes F2P this summer. It has the best community I have ever seen besides LOTRO Landroval server. Hopefully F2P doesnt mess that up (it may for a little bit, but will get sorted out in the end). An amazing game with tons to do, just no pvp.

• Rhianni32Rhianni32 Member Posts: 222

Originally posted by predbites

I do like the look of GW2, I have tried EVE a couple times but just couldn't seem to really get going. Maybe I should give it another go.

Eve is what it is. If you didn't like it then trying it again won't change anything I doubt. Not to knock Eve, its a great game for what it is. It set out to be a sci-fi sandbox with its own economy and in that it succeeded very well. But its not for everyone and thats ok. 

I think I have the most respect for CCP as a company over other MMO devs for this reason.

• drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273

To the OP, I have had the same exact experience as you! Loved SWG till they changed it, found Tabula Rasa and aboslutely loved that game till they closed it, I played Earth Rise and really enjoyed that too.........till they closed.........I felt like if there was a game that I loved it always got CLOSED. I gave EVE a two week trial and didnt really get into so I moved on the all the other mmo's like WOW, Aion, SWTOR, DC Universe, COH and the list goes on!

There was not a game out there that could keep me longer then 2 months before i quit playing it. The my brother told me what he was doing in EVE and I was like "hmmm that sounds fun." So I picked EVE back up and have been subbed for 7 months now! 

EVE really has grown on me........take my word for it, go to the forums find a corp that are noob friendly! A good corp will show you the true fun of EVE! Man I loved flying the frigates and tackling or harrassing others in low sec (pvp) Long enough for my corp the get there with the big guns and BOOM! lol it is a truely fun game once you get going!

I hope you give EVE a real chance! I sure am glad I did! If not I hope you find a game that can bring you as much fun as our fallen loved ones, RIP SWG, TR, ER!!!!

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Honestly? I would just play WoW, if you haven't ever played it before I think you'll have a blast theres a lot of content, the pace is fun and the world is actually quite awesome especially if you've never visited Azeroth before.

Beyond that, MMOs are just really stale right now.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Originally posted by Aquazen

Vanguard goes F2P this summer. It has the best community I have ever seen besides LOTRO Landroval server.

I agree with you 100%. I play on Landroval and it is shocking how good the community is. It reminds me of the old days with the SWG community.