Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What MMO was the biggest disappointment for you?

Has an MMO ever burned you?  Have you spent 50-100 dollars on that shiny box, only to try it out and realize that you wouldn't re-up your sub after the first month?  I've been burned so many times it's hard to get excited about new MMOs anymore.

A couple that really burned me were SWTOR and Age of Conan...wish I would have waited at least for a price drop or a free weekend.

What are your biggest MMO disappointments?

Comments

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168
    Earthrise for me. Worst buggy POS game. Environments looked good though.

***** Raving Rabbid is stoked to see Kate Beckinsale in Total Recall remake!!!!******

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

Age of Conan

not just because it was thing that should not be,but i bought new computer for that thing.

Let's internet

• ArquitetoArquiteto Member Posts: 228

I would also have to go with earthrise. I was in beta and just could not see spending 50 on release . So i waited and bought it when it dropped to $10. Even that was to much. It was a buggy mess. I had really high hopes for it but sadly it failed. Planetside 2 seems to be the new mmo to hope for. So far it looks great.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

It's hard to narrow it down to just one. Earthrise is certainly on the list, largely due to the shock I felt comparing their doctored shots and fluff piece interviews to the actual product: my god, what a travesty. Anarchy Online's on there somewhere, because the testing and intial release phases were mind numbingly bugged with server disconnection errors and latency issues. Warhammer was pretty fucking terrible as well, and most of that had to do with being lead to believe the product was something it wasn't. Mortal Online is probably at the top of the list though, and I couldn't even summarize the myriad of reasons why that game is one of the worst MMO's I've ever played. Seriously, I'd have to expand upon this post with another three or four paragraphs, and even then it's difficult for me to determine if it's really the worst.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• UrzaKeFrostgardUrzaKeFrostgard Member UncommonPosts: 16

Warhammer Online was supposed to be a perfect PvP game....

then EA comes in -> GG

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Horrible, buggy, mess of an MMO. With all the money in the world BioWare still couldnt make a quality product.

• sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132

AION

• DurrayDurray Member UncommonPosts: 182

Its a close one between FFXIV and SWTOR,

But I think SWTOR since I invested a lot more money into it and got very little inreturn (3 weeks)

• ThodraThodra Member UncommonPosts: 444

Sadly to say, but it's SWTOR

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Originally posted by UrzaKF

then EA comes in -> GG

Warhammer was never good, and Mythic developed it not EA. The PvP was fun, everything else just sucked, and even saying there was anything else is giving too much credit.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

Biggest disappointment for a game I actually bought: Warhammer Age of Reckoning - mostly due to the bloody terrible structure of the world & the excruciatingly bad engine/server tech, 2 factions only was crap too.

Biggest disappointment for a game I didn't buy: FFXIV - utter crap from all I have read & I was seriously considering buying it, glad I didn't.

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

Dark & Light

Thought me well. Never burned again.

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

Final Fantasy XIV, was supposed to be my main MMO. But it is getting better every week so by 2.0, im hopeing it will be awesome.

• HolgranthHolgranth Member Posts: 380

Gonna have to agree with the Warhammer theme, hated the tiny boxed up world, vampid music and hideous client.

Dem hibbies! Dey be wrong!

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Biggest disappointments for MMO's would be The Old Republic and Star Trek Online, after playing SWG for its entire lifespan going into TOR was a insult , and yes I know they wasn't making a SWG2 , but what was made for $200 mil plus I found it to be the most uninspired ripoff I have ever played, from the narrow corridors, lifeless planets, lack of things to do sides questing, rolling alts, raids and pvp, poor excuse for crafting, this game will end up going F2P eventually down the road , after all is said and done I felt dirty even playing the game for what is a single player game with lobby elements.

Star Trek Online was short lived as was TOR, short leveling time, too casual, lack of things to do, ground combat horrid, uninspired crafting system, same ol same ol gear grind , shoebox pvp, once again an IP squandered to cater to people that should stick to consoles and facebook games , a Star Trek MMO done the right way could've knocked EVE Online out of the water. Sometime I think Prepetual Studio could've done a better job with STO than the way Cryptic handled it with their atricious engine.

So all in all 2 major IPs wasted on marketing and hype and what we got instead was 2 giant turds..

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by UrzaKF

then EA comes in -> GG

Agreed, definitely WO, really was hoping for something along the lines of DAOC and instead we got a variant of standard WOW gameplay.

I stopped hoping for better after that, and look at all upcoming MMORPG's with a wary (and sometimes overly critical) eye.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

FFXIV because of the bad launch. I really was hoping to play that mmo for a long time. I was disappointed big time. I might try it at the PS3 release but I'm not sure I'll feel all excited about it like before.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

Originally posted by StarI

Dark & Light

Thought me well. Never burned again.

OMG so true! DnL. Not the first game I played, but it is the first game I "followed" pre release. Got into beta quite quickly and learned the lesson of keeping an NDA no matter WHAT. Anyone who kept the NDA in that one deserves a medal myself included. Watched from afar as it burned on release day. Taught me well also. Every game is suspect lol!

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

The most disappointing MMO for me was AoC.  I followed it for years before it came out.  Not only did it have a myriad of technical problems, but it wasn't anywhere close to being the game Funcom talked about throughout development.  Bad, bad game.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• KhayotixKhayotix Member UncommonPosts: 231

SWTOR for me :( Spent 150 on the collectors. biggest waste ever....it was a bad call Ripley it was a bad call.

• PoufPouf Member Posts: 341

I would go with SWTOR just because I loved the beta and I pre-ordered knowing the bugs.

But then the end game was terrible

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

For me it was Champions online, it did teach me a good lesson - wait till after launch and the player reviews on sites like this before paying for a game. (edited for spelling).

Currently bored with MMO's.

• infofrontinfofront Member UncommonPosts: 160

Definitely WAR

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

Probably Everquest 2.  Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a bad game at all, but as a long time veteran of the original, I was expecting a lot more.

Honorable mention would go to Horizons, except that by the time it came out we knew it was going to suck.  Still, that game should be a lesson to anyone who buys into early pre-alpha hype of a game.

• GreenieGreenie Member Posts: 553

Warhammer Online without a doubt.  The classes and their  abilities were great. The world layout, scenarios, crafting, and two faction system sucked. Should have just made DaoC 2 and reaped the rewards, now GW 2 (hopefully) gets to take that prize.