Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honest Review.

A honest review of this game is something that most people should hear. I have been playing SWOTR since 3 days prior to launch..Now I could start by saying my history of MMO'S. I have played a large group but Im not a jumper. I started back with DAOC. Had  a RR11L1 Wizard and a RR7L1 Inf along with a RR5Minst and RR6L1 Cleric. I use to dual box accounts in Emain for pvp. I played all the way to TOA and the Release to WoW. Where I have played since closed beta to 4.2. I have had every class from a Priest to a DK to a Rogue I have downed hardmodes been the top geared tank on my server and held a 2100 rated team for months. I have even tried rift to rank 50 till my account had gotten hacked and I lost everything. So as you can see I enjoy MMO'S. I decided to give SWOTR a shot my first class was a Jedi Consular. I then did advance training into Shadow to where I have reached rank 77 for pvp along with a Sith Juggi Rank 71. So that is my MMO Resume as you could say. Here are things anyone would want to know about SWOTR. 

1)How is the starting areas? Is chart creation linear?. Should I go Repub or Imp?.

A)Well to answer the first half of this question The starting area are just as any starting area of modern MMO'S. They get you on your way to the storyline and off you go. As far as char creation. I consider it complt boring. I.E Body size, you can either have Skinny/Tall/Muscle/Avg build/ Or fat..Yes FAT. Choice between Imp or Repub that's up to you Either sides boast the same classes even down to the specialization of traits.

2)How does the game play? I.E Graphics U.I?.Well here is my set up. I7950 OCd to 4.1 with 12Gigs of DDR3 @ 2200FSB. with Two ATI 6970'S. Running on 3 31 Inch LED Samsung Monitors. Along with a 200Gig SSD. For the most part I was off the charts in certain area with 110fps. In PvP it was horrible. Server lag mixed with PvP lag was just beyond any modern MMO. My GF who runs a much lower system with 1gig 5 sere Nvid couldn't run anything above low res. It was so choppy all the time for her. Not to mention Major Graphic Glitches. The UI is horrible there is no Resizing it at all. It is what is is...

3)Personal Story Lines and Ships! Oh My!...Well I can say I loved my Jedi Shadow storyline and Ikept my force alinged with Good. The cut scene cinematic voice overs made your char feel more heroic. "Until" you finished that quest that was associated with it. I.E There is a part of the consular quest line where you must enter a ship and kill a Darth Lord. The ship was so bugged that the moment I entered the ship and the doors opened. 10-15 mobs would swarm me kill me and camp over me. Yet that wasn't the worse when you do finally finish the quest that was epically awesome your "reward" is most likely a green item that is of no use to you. Even the final chapter when you learn that your master is the Emperors Voice or Child. You get a Blue Slotted item @ Level 50 now..Which is useless. Along with a title that anyone who finishes can get so others words There useless that went the same for my Juggi and my 50 BH and Scoundrel all boring and useless Items. Now for ships. Yes you can upgrade them and have a "personal bank" you can even add more room to your bank. There is even space combat, that when you first enter the world you assume that you will be able to venture with your friends into combat and enjoy yourself"Wrong" It's very miss leading the whole space dock cut scenes and the ability to "fly to planet to planet" It even has a counter of how many people are in the zone and who is. Yet no one can join you on your ship or on missions. All the missions made available to you are just that. To you only yes other can do them but they can't join! So your basically playing a FPS within an MMO...

4)Flash Points/Hardmodes and Raids- Well simply put..Easy! If you ever did 10Man LK it's as hard as doing The boat. The bosses and adds are pathetic A.I along with..Just don't stand in the badd stuff on the ground. You Win!

5)PvP-Gear-Balance-WZ-Illum. Now as I stated before I have two highly rank Battlemaster Char. Lets just start by saying pvp is boring and repetitive. So why would you stay and play and get rank? Well why do you stay for any MMO you pay for. You want to try and get your moneys worth. The same 3 WZ gets boring. Levels 1-49 are all boosted and can honestly be more fun then level 50 pvp. The idea of being level 20 and taking out a 40 because you got the jump or however the situation played out in your favor is fun. As for gear the system is off a currency like wow use to be. When you enter a WZ and defend an objective or kill an enemy or heal or even protect a fellow team mate you get medals. These medals goes towards WZ commendations and valor. Now valor adds up to rank 1-100. Now just a little advice pvp before level 50 try to at least get rank 40 or 50 and save your commendations. See you have to trade them up like so 30WZ Commendations=10 Merc Commendations. It takes 200 Merc and 200 WZ commendations to buy Bags that then give you 16 Centurion Commendations and 8 Champion commendations. Stage 3 Gear is Centurion. Stage 2 is Champ and Stage 1 is BattleMatster. On Average it takes 120 Cent to your 2h wep 60 for 1H and 39-41 for Armor Sets.

Now the same goes for Champ gear. You can do the dailies that allow you get a Champ bag or a BM bag (The BM Bag is only useable at rank 60) These bags drop the same as the 200-Merc 200-WZ . Now when you finally grind your way to rank 60 and try for the BM bags you have to pay 1,0000-Merc 1,0000-WZ For 1BM token It takes 3 Tokens for a wep 2 for all gear. The weekly and dailies only allow 1 from each turn in. Yet 3 for champs. The drop rate is unknown but many guess less then 2% to have a BM token drop in the bag. So that concludes just the PvP Currency.

Balance between classes. Well Since I have played Tank and Melee and Range. I can tell you this. The stunlock in this game is so out of control it makes the fun of pvp well useless. There is suppose to be a system in pvp called resolve when you have been stunned and rooted and knocked back excessively it fills up and you can not be controlled. I.E immunity timer. There is just one big problem It doesn't work on Repub side at all. As far as Bioware/EA concern they are working on a fix. Most classes seem fairly balanced if you know how to play them. There is a big healing issue atm to where healers are just un-killable and 1 healer and tank can dominate over 4-6 people dps'n them. Now as far as Illum on the two servers I play it's boring and a ghost land you get no rewards for controlling beside increased valor. No tokens No valor rewards at all. So when I say increased I mean you just get 5% bonus when you kill an enemy..Kinda boring for such an epic "galactic battle"

Final thoughts- I know this is a long review and I know much of it seems like I'm hating on the game or just giving negative feedback the fact is. That is all there is left. After the game has been out since Dec-2011 There was one patch for a mediocre pve and some hotfixs. There is a 1.2 in the works that is suppose to add new life to the game. I don't think the game is beyond anything then what it is just another Cookie Cutter MMO. There is nothing special about it. The same boring grind leveling,PvP becomes stale after a few weeks. No major world assistance to survive or dominance,The raiding was doable after 3 weeks of level 50. The crafting is useless and over priced. Customer support is none and between. Server population is dwindling to where you can't find a group at peak times and pvp Ques have gone on to waiting 2-5 hours. Just to enter one and be out matched 5-8 and have an auto abort that works 20% of the time. I wanted to give this game a chance and I did so. I however will no longer give them my money. I know there are some arguing that it's still new give it time but fact is it's missing key things that modern MMO's should have and shouldn't have. I hope this helps anyone who is thinking of buying the game or wondering if they should stay. Best of luck!

Look for the man Kicking Pups!

Comments

• WhiteProphetWhiteProphet Member UncommonPosts: 47

I realized this 2 months ago and quited then. Just doing the same bg or raid agian and agian and agian just doen't cut it for me.

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594

Just for correctness -- yes, you can take people onto your ship. It's an instance, so like all instance, you have to have people in your group to take them into your instance. They can't do anything during space missions, though.

UI will be fully(?) adjustable in 1.2. Should that have been in there on day (-3)? Sure.

The stun lock can be super annoying, no argument there. I also thought the resolve thing is broken, but after having it work for me a few times, I'm thinking the issue is more that some folks have worked out exactly how it works and thus know exactly in what order to apply their stuns to make them all work. I have been killed plenty of times by IA Ops who kept me stunned/on my back the whole time it seemed, and I have also waltzed into the Huttball endzone without anyone being able to stop me due to my full resolve bar.

Also - stun lock is out of control, but you can't kill a healer...?

Something that goes along with your complaint about useless gear rewards is that you can easily outlevel content, which makes most of it non-challenging and the rewards useless. That was actually a huge disappointment for me. On my second char, I skipped all PvP, all space combat, almost all FPs and all bonus missions, and I still ran a level or two ahead of content.

I'm still having fun, but then I didn't grind all the fun out of my bones by playing the WoW gear-treadmill for 8+ years. image I should be ok until the summer and then I'll get to see how GW2 stacks up.

• KickinPups2KickinPups2 Member Posts: 48

When I stated that the Stunlock is out of control you obviously don't know the classes. I.E Operative has the most stuns and shortest stuns in game. While other classes have only 1 viable and on  an avg timer of 1min+.Take the Shdow/Assan we get a 1min stun that goes to down to 45s if we spec it. As for your theory on people know when to hit it. I would debunk that with how is that when Force Resil is up they are still able to lock you down?

As far as 1.2 for the ui. It only allows moving and rescale. I have been on PTS and tested it. It's still crap but now I get to move that crap. No Macros/No key shortcuts lockable to gaming boards I.E Logitech G510. So it's not very viable at all. 

I will however be waiting for G2 to launch and hope that they give a better chance to the MMO community.