Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer 40K NO MORE MMO

Warhammer 40K DMO is now just a single player game now with multiplayer.  See Twitter it's aflame.

I'll add more to this post and thread as I find out more.

It's hard to determine if the layoffs were inevitable or if they were a specific result of the refocusing of the DMO project due to THQ's inability to partner with an outside entity.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/03/29/warhammer-40k-dark-millennium-online-is-no-longer-a-mmo.aspx

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/29/warhammer-40-000-dark-millennium-mmo-now-single-player-game-10/

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-29-thq-warhammer-40-000-dark-millenium-is-no-longer-an-mmo

http://kotaku.com/5897540/warhammer-40000-dark-millennium-goes-single+player-as-layoffs-hit-relic-and-vigil

Steam: Neph

Comments

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

Update: 79 people let go at Vigil and 39 at Relic with the transition to non-MMO.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/thq-announces-warhammer-40-000-180800623.html

• Mayday123Mayday123 Member Posts: 2

Man out of all the MMOs that were up and coming this is the one I was hoping would come out and be good.  WTB blaster pistols and chainswords ;/  I hope in the future someone does make and MMO for Warhammer 40k because the whole 40k universe is awesome.  :(

• SpallieroSpalliero Member Posts: 147
    What hash tag?

Sic Luceat Lux

Mike Birkhead senior designer at Vigil Studios confirmed to have been laid off.  

Originally posted by Spalliero

What hash tag?

Mostly I see #THQ....it looks like Vigil is wiped out except for the Darksiders 2 team.  That's an amalgamation of info so it might not be 100% dead on.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Lol there stocks just took a dive after that announcement,  at this rate they are not going to be around long.  I am sure the investors are looking really hard at this.

Oh well I could tell 2 years back when they started releasing the cruddy art diagrams of how they wanted it to look I knew it did not stand a chance as far as mmo's go.  

I can see the market for a single player game that will give 60 hours of play time in their future.

• greyed-outgreyed-out Member Posts: 99

From what we knew of the game, it was going to be yet another total wow clone that would have had very little probability of recovering its costs as an MMO.  Still, Austin is hurting right now; that's a lot of people to be layed off.  THQ should be ashamed of themselves.

• SpallieroSpalliero Member Posts: 147
    Glad they did the draw tablet thing, lol they can everyone but CEO that pushed the failed product. Well thq can go flush what's left IMO, darksiders was just ok pretty meh, I don't really care for ds2. Dmo as a single player game with multiplayer aspects, I think that's out and it's called Spacemarine.

Sic Luceat Lux

Originally posted by greyed-out

From what we knew of the game, it was going to be yet another total wow clone that would have had very little probability of recovering its costs as an MMO.  Still, Austin is hurting right now; that's a lot of people to be layed off.  THQ should be ashamed of themselves.

You should read the press release it's down right offensive: "We're really excited to announce....." the loss of jobs for 100+ people.  Sad.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/167550/Warhammer_40K_MMO_no_longer_massive_THQ_lays_off_118_in_transition.php

Vigil/THQ have produced some decent games. Though the direction of WH40K: DM sounded awry from the info that was released.

Think this license being sci-fi would be better designed like Planetside 2? Multifactions, FPS, combination of infantry, vehicles and heavy-artillery etc and bases. Tbh, EvE + Dust seems more Warhammer 40K in respect to the combination of planets + space fleets + frontline shooters: Grand vision.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Originally posted by Nephaerius

You should read the press release it's down right offensive: "We're really excited to announce....." the loss of jobs for 100+ people.  Sad.

Yes I just read that excited that 100 folks are getting canned, in this economy.  Thats not funny,  and they should not be excited that laid of that many folks that should have been written a different way because it looks really callous.

• storm-dragonstorm-dragon Member Posts: 157

Man that is depressing; I feel really bad for the folks that were let go.....I was so looking forward to it; they might as well scrap the whole project now; I just can't imagine anyone actually buying it with those chnages.

This sword here at my side dont act the way it should
    Keeps calling me its master, but I feel like its slave
    Hauling me faster and faster to an early, early grave
    And it howls! it howls like hell!

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405

Good, it was going to be another boring wow clone anyway.

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Originally posted by spaceport

Warcraft is a Warhammer clone...in fact Warcraft was going to be Warhammer until Blizzard lost the rights to make the game, so the just changed the name of the game and left out a few aspects of what was going to be in it.

Congrats...

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• greyed-outgreyed-out Member Posts: 99

Originally posted by Nephaerius

Yeah, its pretty bad.  For example:

"Because we believe strongly in the high-quality and vast creative work that is in production, this is the right decision for both our portfolio and for gamers devoted to this powerful property."

its the right decision for everybody apparently besides those who actually made that 'high-quality and vast creative work'

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Originally posted by jtcgs

Warcraft is a Warhammer clone...in fact Warcraft was going to be Warhammer until Blizzard lost the rights to make the game, so the just changed the name of the game and left out a few aspects of what was going to be in it.

Congrats...

It doesn't really matter anymore who cloned who.  That format of mmo has become so stale and boring.  It was exciting when I first tried it 10 years ago but it's time for a change.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• Oph8Oph8 Member Posts: 177

Congrats...

Who give's a shit. The fact still remains is that Blizzard did it right and mythic didn't. 

"Everything is mine and your woman too"

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384
    Originally posted by Oph8

Congrats...

Who give's a shit. The fact still remains is that Blizzard did it right and mythic didn't. 

apparently you dont know the difference between warhammer and WAR, and warcraft and WoW.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

So,  they p#¤%ied out, what else is new in the biz.

One of the few MMO's i actually waited for, being developed by vigil and all, but meh...

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • binkusbinkus Member Posts: 57
    Originally posted by MumboJumbo

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/167550/Warhammer_40K_MMO_no_longer_massive_THQ_lays_off_118_in_transition.php

Vigil/THQ have produced some decent games. Though the direction of WH40K: DM sounded awry from the info that was released.

Think this license being sci-fi would be better designed like Planetside 2? Multifactions, FPS, combination of infantry, vehicles and heavy-artillery etc and bases. Tbh, EvE + Dust seems more Warhammer 40K in respect to the combination of planets + space fleets + frontline shooters: Grand vision.

when this was first announced i said this franchise should have gone down the Planetside route

you and I are right it would seem

nerf scissors! rock is fine...
    yours paper