Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for information

joeydtx79joeydtx79 Member UncommonPosts: 29

It has been long overdue, since this game came out I was always curious about it but was fearful as I am not a PVP person.  Never has been my cup of tea, but from random friends I always hear that PVE does exist in the game.  I have been reading guides but as of yet not gotten a concrete answer, so I hope asking will yield results. 

I am sure I can find my way on the aspects of the game, but my main question is that from what I understand, there are high secuity zones, semi secured zones, and then unpatrolled.  No matter where you are however, you can be attacked at any time by anyone?  I want to enjoy the PVE aspect of this game, as from screenshots I have seen some wonderful sights that I would hope I got to see from myself.  Do you have to always watch your back as someone will always want to kill you?

As above, I took the into professions that would capture a PVE career, and appears to be either a Explorer and/or Manufacturer.  Are these paths beneficial to others, I would help I would be able to help a corporation once I found one to make a difference, one that had the same views I had.

After both these questions, would you think I could even be successful in this type of game?  Please let me know any opinions that anyone has a minute to share, I would appreciate it before I ask if anyone has one of those keys to offer.

Many thanks,

JD

Comments

• joeydtx79joeydtx79 Member UncommonPosts: 29

Okay, awesome 48 hours later no insight.  Guess I will just give it a whirl.  Thanks for at least reading, fly safe as people say.

JD

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

Well im not really the best person to answer this but I think all the attention EvE has gotten in the past couple of days should have answered some of your queries.

I will tell you though that if you want to be successful in this game, it will take time, from what ive learned it takes some people over a year to get to a stage where they can even compete against other long time players.

• DeddpoolDeddpool Member UncommonPosts: 197

I wouldn't worry too much about being attacked al the time. most of the security zones have harsh penalties for those who do.  You can purchase insurance for your ships anyway, so the hit wouldnt be so bad.  I'm actually a pvp person but the missions so far have been alot of fun for me.

And yes, time is essential.  You need patience, as skills can take days, even weeks to learn.  But the rewards are worth it.  Give it a shot, the trial is plenty long enough to make a valid decision.  I subbed 2 days into it lol.

• JerivalJerival Member Posts: 16

I am sure I can find my way on the aspects of the game, but my main question is that from what I understand, there are high secuity zones, semi secured zones, and then unpatrolled.  No matter where you are however, you can be attacked at any time by anyone?  I want to enjoy the PVE aspect of this game, as from screenshots I have seen some wonderful sights that I would hope I got to see from myself.  Do you have to always watch your back as someone will always want to kill you?

You can be attacked in any system in the game.  The difference between high security systems from low and null is that if someone attacks you in highsec Concord will respond and attack that individual.  That being said, if you are flying around in a ship with no tank, you may be destroyed before Concord can respond.

Also, there are plenty of ways to be baited into legal pvp in highsec.  You'll need to be cognizant of this and do a little research based on the aspect of the game you are persuing.

Of course if you join a player corporation you also could get involved in a war.  Wars between corps and alliances are another form of legal pvp in highsec.

As for watching your back, it never hurts.  You'll quickly learn what puts you at risk in highsec and what is relatively safe.

As above, I took the into professions that would capture a PVE career, and appears to be either a Explorer and/or Manufacturer.  Are these paths beneficial to others, I would help I would be able to help a corporation once I found one to make a difference, one that had the same views I had.

After both these questions, would you think I could even be successful in this type of game?  Please let me know any opinions that anyone has a minute to share, I would appreciate it before I ask if anyone has one of those keys to offer.

Many thanks,

JD

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

Originally posted by joeydtx79

It has been long overdue, since this game came out I was always curious about it but was fearful as I am not a PVP person.  Never has been my cup of tea, but from random friends I always hear that PVE does exist in the game.  I have been reading guides but as of yet not gotten a concrete answer, so I hope asking will yield results. 

Many thanks,

JD

Simple answer: Yes, you can be attacked anywhere at any time by anyone, provided you are not docked in a station.

Longer answer: There are 3 security teirs, 1.0-0.5 (hi-sec), 0.1-.49 (low-sec) and 0.0 (null-sec). 

• In hi-sec, anyone illegally aggressing you will suffer the wrath of Concord - the NPC police which will spawn on the aggressor and blow it up - quite efficiently - upon the hostile action (aptly named concordokened).  Take note that you can still be attacked and with enough firepower, killed before the five-oh's kill the aggressors.

• Low-sec, you may be aggressed by anyone if you are ourside a station.  The only NPC-defense of this will be station and gate defense turrets which will open fire on the aggressors.  In this instance, the gun quantity is static and will change depending upon the security level of the low-sec system (iirc) so if there are 10 hostile ships remote repping each other in low-sec, they can out-repair the damage done by the turrets.  The real drawbacks for aggression are a hit to the aggressors security rating (which impacts his/her ability to fly in hi-sec space) as well as the inability to jump through gates or dock until your aggression timer expires.

• Null-sec is essentially a free for all with the only limitations being the inability to jump through gates or dock for a period of time.

The one caveat for hi/low-sec is legal wardec's.  If the corporation you are in is declared war upon by another corporation, that corporation can legally aggress you without reprocussion.  The only corporations that are immune to wardecs are NPC corporations - like the corporation you are automatically part of when you join the game as a new pilot.

If you want to get an idea of how in-depth the Eve skill paths are, check:

As far as strait up PvE activities, here are a few:

• Mining

• Rating (killing NPC's in belts and such)

• Anomalies (scanned)

• Production

If you are actually interested in joining and getting some experience, I suggest joining a place like Eve University.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4