Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Controllers: Yes or No?

Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

I'm personally a huge fan of controller game play on my MMOs, I never thought I would be back when I started playing them, however FFXI did a great job of utilizing the controller in their game and honestly playing FFXI on Xbox was very entertaining, perhaps at times more so than playing it on PC, my friends used to fight over who would use the Xbox when I was at work lol.

Now I've been playing TERA with a controller, and I'm really enjoying the game play it presents when I use this interface device.

I know the classic conversation on controllers is they don't provide the pin point accuracy you can get from a high dpi mouse and keyboard, yet for an RPG or even an action RPG, is it really that much of an disadvantage?

Has anyone had a similar experience with controllers and MMOs?

Perhaps others thought they wouldn't like it and saw the light?

or maybe I'm crazy?

:-D

Comments

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Ive used my hydra in soooo many occasions when playing.  Its awesome.   I love it.  I find the button placement kinda questionable but its bearable :3

Its fun on fps games though! @_@

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by Castillle

Ive used my hydra in soooo many occasions when playing.  Its awesome.   I love it.  I find the button placement kinda questionable but its bearable :3

Its fun on fps games though! @_@

Wow that looks interesting! 

I've only really used my PS3 controller with a program that makes it think its an xbox 360 controller hehe.  Works for most games.  That however looks facinating to use.  I bet it would take some getting used to.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

It depends greatly on the game.  If you need quick access to a zillion buttons, a gamepad doesn't work very well.  If you need to click precisely on a particular point, then a gamepad doesn't work very well.  But if you don't need either of those things, then it can work very nicely.

In Spiral Knights, a gamepad is actually a major advantage over keyboard+mouse, as it lets you control your own movement better, and the game is more about dodging than targeting.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by Quizzical

It depends greatly on the game.  If you need quick access to a zillion buttons, a gamepad doesn't work very well.  If you need to click precisely on a particular point, then a gamepad doesn't work very well.  But if you don't need either of those things, then it can work very nicely.

In Spiral Knights, a gamepad is actually a major advantage over keyboard+mouse, as it lets you control your own movement better, and the game is more about dodging than targeting.

I would agree entirely that it depends on the game, I'll have to check that game out :-)

I wish they made more games that were optimized to be used with varrious controllers & mouse + keyboard.  It seems like more game developers may be going in this direction with GW2 having a console version I'm hoping their PC version supports controller at release.

Edit:  Castille I just watched a few vids on the site you linked, wow I think I know what I'm getting for myself for the holidays this year :-) 

• cheachancheachan Member Posts: 122

Depends on the game. I don't really vote for controllers if it's a fighting game. Other than that, it's okay as long as I can play the game

• DraxonflyDraxonfly Member UncommonPosts: 126

It's a No for Controllers for me, unless it is a 'racing' game (Motorstorm rocks) 

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Controllers for PC gaming is a big no-no for me.  Most especially when playing FPS (esp. FPS), RPGs, MMORPGs, flight sims, or... just about anything.  It only flies for me if I play on the console, which is extremely rare.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    I quite enjoyed the hydra for fps games and moba games along with dcuo and co.

I played through borderlands many times using hydra and i played tf2 with it as well. Fun stuff.

I did well enough in lol with it at 1600 elo

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

As others have pointed out it really depends on the game. Any game where acuracy is key I'll take a keyboard and mouse any day. If acuracy doesn't really matter then I prefer a controller. I much prefer a mouse for FPS, RTS and RPG games but Racing, Flight and Sports games in general I prefer a controller.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

You know I love using my controller in Tera and I think I will use it in GW2 also. It just works better with action games where movement is key.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

I would say no! Once a MMO can be played on a controller it is a sign it is pretty limited as MMOs go. MMOs are not adventure games they should be more than that. Just my opinion.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I love using controller for anything I can.

Using something like Pinnacle Game Profiler you can make a controller work for any game. Some might require a complicated set up, like using set selectors, right mouse button toggles for mouselook mode, hold zones so that each button for each set can do another command if you hold it down etc.

Using all these methods with two set selectors (same concept as 1, alt 1 and shift 1) and hold zones on every button you can have up to 84 commands on an xbox controller. You read that right. You can even have more if you added in more set selectors, but 84 is waaay more than enough. 42 without any hold zones is usually more than enough.

People who claim controllers can't have as many binds as keyboards just don't know their stuff. Easy to have your mouse nearby for menus and stuff if really needed but it can still be done without if you are using a mouselook toggle, as the right stick controls the mouse cursor when out of that mode.

In PvP in mmos I do extremely well using a controller after a little practice to get used to the complicated bindings. By extremely well I mean I am almost always top 3 and first many times. My reaction times are just quicker because of the controller, less travel to buttons/keys.

Wouldn't work for mmos though if you were a healer and needed to select specific different targets a lot. Best with melee classes usually.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Originally posted by Laughing-man

I'm personally a huge fan of controller game play on my MMOs, I never thought I would be back when I started playing them, however FFXI did a great job of utilizing the controller in their game and honestly playing FFXI on Xbox was very entertaining, perhaps at times more so than playing it on PC, my friends used to fight over who would use the Xbox when I was at work lol.

Now I've been playing TERA with a controller, and I'm really enjoying the game play it presents when I use this interface device.

I know the classic conversation on controllers is they don't provide the pin point accuracy you can get from a high dpi mouse and keyboard, yet for an RPG or even an action RPG, is it really that much of an disadvantage?

or maybe I'm crazy?

YES.  In fact, there is no reason MMOs should not be on consoles.  MMOs are really not that complex for the most part.  The main limitation is the skill-bar UI which cannot be replicated on consoles/controller yet.  But there are ways around this.  For instance, no more cooldown skillbar garbage combat system.  Alternatively, minimize the number of active skills like GW2 is doing and it can easily be mapped to a controller.

In fact, if GW2 truly wants to be legendary, migrate it to the consoles as the skill system it uses can EASILY be accomodated on consoles.  It would instantly surpass WoW if they did this in my opinion.

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

Originally posted by Laughing-man

or maybe I'm crazy?

YES.  In fact, there is no reason MMOs should not be on consoles.  MMOs are really not that complex for the most part.  The main limitation is the skill-bar UI which cannot be replicated on consoles/controller yet.  But there are ways around this.  For instance, no more cooldown skillbar garbage combat system.  Alternatively, minimize the number of active skills like GW2 is doing and it can easily be mapped to a controller.

In fact, if GW2 truly wants to be legendary, migrate it to the consoles as the skill system it uses can EASILY be accomodated on consoles.  It would instantly surpass WoW if they did this in my opinion.

I actually agree with this.  I also believe they've confirmed that they have a small team working on a console port.  When I first saw this thread, I thought of GW2 - as opposed to a game like WoW who has far too many icons to work into a controller, but that I've played using one.  It didn't work out in the end.