Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ok, what is this game all about?

ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

So, first of all, i dont know a lot about TSW. I visited their page, read that stuff, and run into their forum and read the ultimative TSW resource thread, but i didnt read a lot about the game, more about when it will release what requirement and stuff like that. But i wanted to know more about the game itself, about the gameplay options and so on.

Now i start, with what i gathered so far:

• I know that there will be no classes and no levels. (I assume some kind of skill progression like Ultima Online)

• There will be 3 factions, which you can join within the game

• There will be some kind of pvp between those factions

• It is a mordern setting

• there will be no player housing

So basicly, what will you do in the game, what options will you have?

Is it like the usual themepark(just with skills instead of levels) to run around solve some task, and pvp from time to time, with some kind of endgame(maybe raids, and pvp)?

Will the pvp have some meaning, or is it just pvp for the sake of pvping like in the most other games? And if not, how it will be? What is possible, and what is not possible?

How can you affect the world, if at all?

is it a more linear vertical progression, or a more horizontal progression? (difference in power between a noob and a veteran or difference in options between a noob or a veteran, or a mix of both)

Will the gameplay be focused around combat, with more or less useless crafting sticked on, as we are used to, or are there other gameplay options and pathes available? At least they got a lot of skills, are they all about combat?

And what ever you could tell me about the game in general(gameplay wise), i dont to need any imformation about graphics, beta, release or any other stuff. And thanks in advance for your help. :)

Comments

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

The game has both vertical and horizontal progression. The vertical progression is relatively steep to begin with but tapers of after a while when you have gotten some good gear and abilities for one build. The horizontal progression is about adding new builds (which usually needs other kinds of gear) to your character.

To put some numbers into this: When you have played through all of the content in the adventure zones, and for arguments sake maxed all your skills, more than half of those zones will still give you xp.

More information in this article, if you haven't read it: http://thesecretworld.com/news/blog_lead_designer_martin_bruusgaard_explains_character_development

There is supposed to be a persistent warzone with 100+ players which gives the faction thats holds some target a faction-wide bonus.

When it comes to just playing the game, they have in addition to the regular quests/dungeons som puzzle quests and quests where half the quest is discovering the quest itself. These are quite optional, but gives you something to do other than standard questing, dungeons or open world group quests.

Hmm... Your comment regarding crafting makes me think you haven't read the blog from the lead designer I linked to above, as it states:

Assembly is a completely open system where you can craft any gear you like

They haven't stated it explicitly, but I think that crafting is a very much integrated part of the game and their character development system.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

Originally posted by Blackbrrd

The game has both vertical and horizontal progression. The vertical progression is relatively steep to begin with but tapers of after a while when you have gotten some good gear and abilities for one build. The horizontal progression is about adding new builds (which usually needs other kinds of gear) to your character.

To put some numbers into this: When you have played through all of the content in the adventure zones, and for arguments sake maxed all your skills, more than half of those zones will still give you xp.

More information in this article, if you haven't read it: http://thesecretworld.com/news/blog_lead_designer_martin_bruusgaard_explains_character_development

There is supposed to be a persistent warzone with 100+ players which gives the faction thats holds some target a faction-wide bonus.

When it comes to just playing the game, they have in addition to the regular quests/dungeons som puzzle quests and quests where half the quest is discovering the quest itself. These are quite optional, but gives you something to do other than standard questing, dungeons or open world group quests.

Hmm... Your comment regarding crafting makes me think you haven't read the blog from the lead designer I linked to above, as it states:

Assembly is a completely open system where you can craft any gear you like

They haven't stated it explicitly, but I think that crafting is a very much integrated part of the game and their character development system.

Ok, thanks for your answers. I didnt read the crafting blog.. but i flew over the character development blog entry. I will look for the crafting blog and will read it.

Further questions regarding your answer. First of about the warzone. Are there any information what kind of bonus and what are those targets, and how you get it. Like Battlefield holding points, or with some extra fortresses like castles in DAoc?

And about crafting.. what about crafting resources, are they in any way involved into the pvp? And will items(weapons, gear) decay over time? So with other words .. ok, i should better read the blog first.

Edit: Ok, misread your answer.. there is no crafting blog, just a little information about the charakter and skill progression blog.. ok, then i will look there.

Any available information about crafting, especially in regard to pvp would be very interesting. I like to craft and trade, but only if it have a purpose, if there is some pvp into it. Like resources linked to pvp(like in UO(pre Trammel) or EvE), and enough demand because of decay, so trading, and some way economic game is possible... Crafting just for the sake to craft something isnt not that much my desire.

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

They have talked a bit about the PvP, but not enough for me to really answer your questions.

They have talked about doing PvP is an alternate way of advancing in the game if you don't like questing and that you will get loot there to. I can't remember them talking about specific drops that you just get in the PvP zones though.

Regarding the viability of crafting in the game, it does look quite important - it looks like the primary way of getting the items you want. They haven't talked about item decay, but the crafting process does consume more than it gives back. In other words if you take the metal for a hammer of quality E and reduces it to it's component ingredients, you get a lower quality ingredient, quality D (A = worst, Z best). You can then refine multiple metals of quality D into something of quality E. In addition, you will probably need multiple sets of gear for your character to match the builds you are making, which will make crafted items and the materials important.

It's not a crafting blog, but the entry 3. Gear and 5. Crafting covers a lot of questions regarding the gear and crafting system, for instance why people will want a zillion different pieces of different gear.

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

Assuming FunCom continues to remain true to form as they have with their other titles, Here's what to expect

Primary features will revolve around the following:

1. There will be a Boxed Fee

2. There will also be a Sub Fee

3. There will be an in game item shop wher you will be able to purchase WIN, along with a "Safe Alternative" to RMT currency sellers.

--Other features will include the largest Beta Test Group possible. Once the game is released. It'll pretty much be Open Beta.

--FunCom will be right on top of game issues right from the start and will have timely fixes ready to go and available for download direct from the cash shop.

--There will be so much content for your enjoyment, One account won't be enough..You'll need to get a 2nd to experience it all.

For those who were upset they missed the initial beta, FunCom will also accomodate you there too.

--When ever they release new content updates, Free Beta periods will be included. And hunting for bugs will be considered special bonus content.

So much to get excited about.

• rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430

This is a FAQ with the most basic info about the game, if you read this and the recent dev blog, you are going to have a nice general idea of TSW...

I would recommend reading the TSW timeline in the cry gaia net wiki, there you can find all the ARGs, and so, get some knowledge on the lore Funcom is creating.

just click on what you want to know...

General

What is The Secret World?

Why would I want to play The Secret World?

When will it be released?

How long has it been in development?

When does beta start?

What platforms is it being developed for?

What will the system requirements be?

What will the payment model be?

Will there be a collector's edition?

What are the factions?

What are cabals?

Will there be crafting?

Will there be social gathering places?

Will there be fast travel?

Is the UI customisable?

What are ARGs?

How will player names work?

How big is the game world?

Is there instancing?

What languages will it release in?

Will there be multiple servers?

Will there be regional servers?

Character Development

How does the ability system work?

What are active abilities?

What are passive abilities?

How does the skill system work?

What are templates / decks?

Will there be character statistics?

Will there be equipment statistics?

What kinds of weapons are there?

How will leaderboards work?

What will end-game be like?

Combat

What will combat be like?

Are there combat roles?

What is the maximum size of teams?

What is the 'states' system?

What are mob ratings?

Will there be pets?

PvE and PvP

Will there be separate PvE and PvP servers?

How will missions work?

How will PvP work?

What is Agartha?

• Tamsyn2002Tamsyn2002 Member Posts: 24

OP not sure if you have seen this but you may find it helpful.

TSW wiki http://crygaia.net/wiki/Overview

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

Ok, thanks for all the information. But after reading a lot, i know a lot about the lore, the setting, but aside from the skill system not a lot about gameplay features. Just vague information about crafting, pvp, or what else they offer beside Missions.

Ok, i guess i just have to wait until more information is available. I guess May/June when the open beta event start will more indepth information available, at least i hope so. ^^

• NethriilNethriil Member Posts: 178
    Originally posted by Apraxis

Ok, thanks for all the information. But after reading a lot, i know a lot about the lore, the setting, but aside from the skill system not a lot about gameplay features. Just vague information about crafting, pvp, or what else they offer beside Missions.
    Ok, i guess i just have to wait until more information is available. I guess May/June when the open beta event start will more indepth information available, at least i hope so. ^^

In 2 weeks at PAx public will get to Play. Should know more then and more user feedback.
  • XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Cthulhu. That is all.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

Originally posted by Tamsyn2002

holy jeez that is cool, just spent 3 hrs reading all of it

• YamaedaYamaeda Member Posts: 22

Playstyle wise it's a quite normal mmo, from the looks of it. One semi unique idea is the skill wheel and the skill limitations.

If you've played Guild Wars it'll be very familiar. As you adventure you'll gain skills, skills get placed in the quick bar and used per normal. You can (probably out of combat or in calm hubs) change skills in the quick bar, but you can only equip 7 active abilities and 7 passives at once.

So even if you gain all 510(?) skills you wont be any better than the one that only has 14 skills, if you've equipped the same.

It's also a nice tradeoff, do you want some self healing abilities to go with the assault rifle, or some evade buff? Then you cant equip that extra bleeding penetrating round.

The ideas are very nice, i do hope they also manage to make it fun.

/Y

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Originally posted by Xzen

Oh yes it does have a very Cthuluesque feel to it. Looks like we have fallen down the rabbit hole and Into the mouth of madness eh? :)

Originally posted by Myrdynn

Originally posted by Tamsyn2002

holy jeez that is cool, just spent 3 hrs reading all of it

Awesome yes? Game is not out yet and it already gave you hours of entertainment.  I know it did me. Funcom are the masters of dark and edgy imo and they have had years to flesh this story out. I can only imagine the many conversations they have had in the breakroom.

Can't resist reposting a link to the trailer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRY2tRU_OAo&hd=1

......Dark Days Are Coming........

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

The concept of the game is great, but Ill be avoiding this like the plague anyone who plays will be robbed by funcom over and over.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Originally posted by William12

The concept of the game is great, but Ill be avoiding this like the plague anyone who plays will be robbed by funcom over and over.

Care to elaborate? Blank statements like this make zero sense.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by Xzen

Cthulhu. That is all.

You know what my biggest gripe with TSW is? I can't join the Great Old Ones. Why? I mean, humanity has a really bad record in treating this planet, eh? So I think enslaving or vanquishing them and make the Old Ones and their kin rule here (again) sounds fair and square to me!

I want to be a Dragon pls. Thx. XD

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• NethriilNethriil Member Posts: 178
    Originally posted by William12

</

Gw2 fanboy. Need one say more. I ll be playing both tsw and gw2.