Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FFXI vet, FFXIV Launch player: Questions about '2.0'

PlutonicwoesPlutonicwoes Member UncommonPosts: 343

Hey all,

I'd like to say first that yes, I did google before starting this thread.

What I see is very promising in regards to the 2.0 version of the game. 

What I want to know from you who are playing and those closely following is this: 

WIll 2.0 be the new version of FFXi that everyone wanted FFXIV to be to begin with?

Any good info you have would be amazing.

Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

That is very unlikely.

The current producer/director has never played FFXI. He is much more familiar with games such as UO, DAoC, WoW.

While the rest of the management team has been more closely related to XI and it's development over the years (and it does show in the changes too), the 2.0 very likely won't be any more like FFXI than the original release was.

Granted, the dev team is not ashamed of the game's roots and nods to the former game have been appearing here and there. For example, the new Job specific armor is called the Artifact armor and the soon to come legendary weapons have been named after FFXI's relic and mythic weapons.

It will still be a sequel only in spirit- just a whole lot better one this time, if all goes well.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

Originally posted by Hyanmen

That is very unlikely.

The current producer/director has never played FFXI. He is much more familiar with games such as UO, DAoC, WoW.

While the rest of the management team has been more closely related to XI and it's development over the years (and it does show in the changes too), the 2.0 very likely won't be any more like FFXI than the original release was.

Granted, the dev team is not ashamed of the game's roots and nods to the former game have been appearing here and there. For example, the new Job specific armor is called the Artifact armor and the soon to come legendary weapons have been named after FFXI's relic and mythic weapons.

It will still be a sequel only in spirit- just a whole lot better one this time, if all goes well.

That's misleading to people who actually played at launch when FFXIV had:

No exp chains (no longer)

No player search (no longer)

EXP awarded based on actions used (healing/damage)

No jobs (no longer)

No Notorious Monsters (was rectified shortly after launch)

Was centered around the guildleve system (this focus is gone already)

Had main quest content that was meant to be done by gatherers and crafting also (gone in 2.0)

Had no besieged/conquest like content (gone by 2.0)

Had no chocobos (no longer)

Had no Airships (no longer)

Many things are different, but many things are also very different between FFXI then and FFXI now.  I'd say this game is much more appealing to fans of FFXI already, and will be moreso with 2.0.  The current development team is definitely showing more of a willingness to put in ideas that worked for FFXI.

• PoonjabiPoonjabi Member UncommonPosts: 63

Originally posted by Murugan

That is very unlikely.

No jobs (no longer)

Had main quest content that was meant to be done by gatherers and crafting also (gone in 2.0)

Many things are different, but many things are also very different between FFXI then and FFXI now.  I'd say this game is much more appealing to fans of FFXI already, and will be moreso with 2.0.  The current development team is definitely showing more of a willingness to put in ideas that worked for FFXI.

So are you saying that this game is beginning to take on some of those FFXI aspects? 

Man, I'd take FFXI-2 in heartbeat.

You could give me the same game with an updated graphics engine and UI along with new storylines and I'd be pupmed.  For some reason, I felt FFXI was the perfect game until Abyssea came out.  Never have I dedicated that sort of time and effort to a game, and also felt a sense of accomplishment when acquiring something like a Ridill, Armada Hauberk, etc. 

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

Originally posted by Poonjabi

Originally posted by Murugan

That is very unlikely.

No jobs (no longer)

So are you saying that this game is beginning to take on some of those FFXI aspects? 

Man, I'd take FFXI-2 in heartbeat.

You could give me the same game with an updated graphics engine and UI along with new storylines and I'd be pupmed.  For some reason, I felt FFXI was the perfect game until Abyssea came out.  Never have I dedicated that sort of time and effort to a game, and also felt a sense of accomplishment when acquiring something like a Ridill, Armada Hauberk, etc. 

It won't be the same as FFXI.  But it will have many things from FFXI in it, as well as things from other more modern MMO's.

I also would take FFXI-2 in a heartbeat, but Ridill (formerly Selbina) is full of old FFXI players, and I enjoy the aspects of FFXIV which remind me of that game.  In the future once we have stuff like Crystal Tower, alliance content, 2 hour+ dungeons, and the new improved battle regimen system it will feel even more like FFXI did to me.

• PlutonicwoesPlutonicwoes Member UncommonPosts: 343

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Sounds like XIV is really going in the right direction, even if it's not the one I'd prefer (FFXI part 2)

I guess I'll have to sub back up and try it.