Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The MMORPG.com, MMORPG (a text based world)

Its been kind of dry on here for a while now so...

Lets create our own world and stories. 

I will start off with one character, and the next poster adds to the story with more information, another character, or event and so on. In the event that two people respond to the same post unknowingly, then the three (3) posters get to vote on which will continue the story. Lets see how interesting it can get.

The rules are simple enough, now lets start this adventure.

Setting: Fantasy

Screams echoed from my neighbor Silvia's house everyday for the past three years since her mother committed suicide. They've driven the other neighbors to move away, saying she's possesed. I am debating if I should go to the guards or find a priest to help her. I am afraid to see her myself, even though we've been friends for five years, since we were twelve. I know the chieftan is tiring of all the complaints so going to the guards will likely punish her, but what if she is possesed...

Comments

• MajesticoMajestico Member UncommonPosts: 481
    my character: mercenary human, handy with blade, and available for hire. STORY: After taking care of several of the night watch, I had managed to sneak into the woman's house unnoticed. My employer, a herbalist called Frusti, had filled my money pouch with gold, promising an equal payment on return of the plant. I have had some bizzarre jobs the past couple of years, ever since the war had ended, and I had choosen this way of life, but stealing a 4' plant was a first. If that was not strange enough, upon entering the maiden's living quarters, I saw it to be in a state of disarray. There was no point in trying to make this look like a burglary. The only light came from a single candle, in the far corner of the room. Then I saw her. The woman whose mother had been placed in charge of the plant. I did not know what had become of the mother, but the daughter was said to be grief stricken. However, what I witnessed was odd to say the least. The young woman, adorned in an outfit that had seen better days, was gently caressing the leaves of the plant I required. 'Soon you will flower my darling. You will be rooted no more, and you will grow. Nothing will stop you, and we shall have our vengence!'. As I was trying to get my head round this, whilst also deciding what to do next. She suddenly turned, as though I had made a sound, and to my horror, she began to take on a green complexion. She began to scream like a woman possessed. Her hair began to writhe, as though alive, and to my astonishment, and dismay, her arms morphed into great, powerful vines. With but one flick of her arm, a thick tendril came hurling towards me, amd within seconds I was on my knees, fumbling for my dagger.
  • Mister_ReMister_Re Member Posts: 142

... I decided to go to the guards, since tonight I heard screams and sounds of a struggle. On the way back, pushing through the gathering onlookers around Silvia's house, I  noticed an erie tree sprouting from her rooftop. Two gaurds shoved their way through the crowd and burst into Silvia's house. Full of confidence, and expecting to find just a frail, grief stricken woman, they kept their weapons holstered. 

Inside the dimmly light house the I followed the guards, whom to my surprise are hanging in the air with vines craddling their necks and limbs. With their eyes bloodshot,  and veins protruding, I hear their desperate, but futile attempts to speak. I noticed a stranger in the corner  wielding a dagger staring in the darkness of the hallway leading to Silvia's room. The eyes of the guards now dull and lifeless, staring through me, I know she needs help, but I fear for my life too. The stranger tells me to either take a weapon from the corpses or become one, so I take a short sword and try to steady my nerves...

I manage to reach my dagger, and proceed to sever the vine that had become her arm. Just in time, as i was beginning to lose conciousness. The pain I've caused her seems to make her revert back to her normal self. I thank Nemesis, lord of death, that he had not claimed my that night. Screaming, she fled through a side door. As far as I knew, there were no other exits other than perhaps a window. Right, okay. Job done, although taking this plant to the Alchemist, or whatever he professed to be would not be easy. Why did i never get easy missions, like say, a leaf. Oh no, poor, old Jake had to get the bizzarre tasks. How in the name of Primus, was I going to lift a five, actually the candle light was deceiving, make that six foot. Oh no,on a life of its own. It seemed to be growing by the second. Before the pain in my neck had subsided, the damn thing was bursting through the shoddy rafters of the house. It was as though it had some sort of consciousness, and hopefully this ever growing plant had a limited one. As the rafters of the roof came crashing down upon me, I figured that if I did not move soon, my fate may come from a falling, plank of wood. I used my remaining strength, and agility to pounce cat-like through the window I had so carefully used to break into the premises. Just in time, as this plant abomination seemed to react to movement, moreso than actual sight, and its now plethora of wicked tendrils were lashing out at anything, and anyone, indiscrimitly. I began to run away from the house as fleet of foot as i could. The speed this monstrousity was growing, with it now almost dwarfing the home, it would still be possible for it to reach me with one of those vile vines. Already it was throttling, and tossing aside the town guard as though they were mere gnats. Then I stopped in my tracks, a young man had just ran past me in the direction of the beast, he wore an almost identical face of a close comrade during the war. Although no more a toddler at the time, but they lived way up north, in Thaxton I recalled. Well away from the slum towns of the south. I paused. My curiousity holding me there, whilst my head was screaming to run.
    (to the OP, Mister _Re: How readable are my posts. Are they in a small font? I am currently using a mobile phone, but should be on the pc by tomorrow. I was also wondering if you wanted to either implement a rules system into the game, or keep it open. I think players may be more attracted if we had some form of character developement, and maybe a referee to take charge of combat. We could implement a simple, fighting fantasy rules system or a d&d style. We could still keep it open but loosely moderated, what do you think, to everyone else please continue to introduce your character and continue with the story. I would class this at us at a beta testing stage, but if the OP concurs, the story is free form at the moment, use references from our previous posts, or take us down a different path. It is a mmorpg, so should have stories all over, not necessarily the current one, although i think,as towns and lore is created it should remain. And also dynamic, so if we don´t manage to finish the current story, its after effects should be felt. Such as dynamic done to the current town. Just my suggestion. I do think there should be some form of character advancement and loot system, as well as refering for results of traps, and combat, as well as loose moderation. Otherwise it is more of a free form rpg, rather than mmorpg.com's first ever text mmorpg.) ps. I would have prefered to send you, the OP a personal message, but I don´t think you can do that using the phone version of the site.
  • Mister_ReMister_Re Member Posts: 142

Originally posted by Majestico

(to the OP, Mister _Re: How readable are my posts. Are they in a small font? I am currently using a mobile phone, but should be on the pc by tomorrow. I was also wondering if you wanted to either implement a rules system into the game, or keep it open. I think players may be more attracted if we had some form of character developement, and maybe a referee to take charge of combat. We could implement a simple, fighting fantasy rules system or a d&d style. We could still keep it open but loosely moderated, what do you think, to everyone else please continue to introduce your character and continue with the story. I would class this at us at a beta testing stage, but if the OP concurs, the story is free form at the moment, use references from our previous posts, or take us down a different path. It is a mmorpg, so should have stories all over, not necessarily the current one, although i think,as towns and lore is created it should remain. And also dynamic, so if we don´t manage to finish the current story, its after effects should be felt. Such as dynamic done to the current town. Just my suggestion. I do think there should be some form of character advancement and loot system, as well as refering for results of traps, and combat, as well as loose moderation. Otherwise it is more of a free form rpg, rather than mmorpg.com's first ever text mmorpg.) ps. I would have prefered to send you, the OP a personal message, but I don´t think you can do that using the phone version of the site.

The text is fine on both pc and android.

I do think we should have some sort of referee for combat (when/if players fight players), but I am not familiar with the d&d style rule set. I do think we should keep it open and somehow moderated, I completely agree. 

As for character advancement, loot, trap effects, I think we should get "player" feedback, but I do agree as well. 

i am willing to run some basic rules, and keep tabs on the world as it developes. Would even be willing to act as a gm. So far if you want to take part, just roll up a character if you want to use d20system. You can even invent your own class, if the OP is ok, i shall slowly add some advancement rules. Let us treat this as the beginning. The world is dynamic, so the events occurring so far are only at that part of the world. Have an idea, create a new zone, but bear in mind previous lore that has been set down. Also, I am willing to DM any events that require combat etc. Give me a time gmt, and we can even do live combat. Let's just see what we can create.