Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Revolutionary"?

pikweedpikweed Member Posts: 3

Can somebody please explain what is so "revolutionary" about this game? I played Guild Wars: Nightfall and quit because it was just an instanced online RPG with an online hub and PvP. To me this game doubles down on this idea. They talk about removing the boring things about MMOs but this game isn't even an MMO. The economy is basically non-existant compared to other games, there's no exploration and the entire game is instanced. They want everyone to feel like a "hero", and everyone to feel like what they are doing actually matters. Instancing everything is counter intuitive to this. The idea that PvP should have no connection to the rest of the game is absurd. If you want a class based, arena style competitive game, play League of Legends.

There are some things I agree with them on. I feel like grinding to the level cap to get into the "real" game is a ridiculous idea, but letting everyone automatically reach level cap with max gear for PvP is not the way to solve this. I also like the idea of 2 week long, persistent world vs. world PvP. However, if it's purely based on what world has more "skill", it might as well just be a random group vs another random group because MMOs are not just about skilled combat. Although I do think MMOs don't put enough emphasis on skill, it shouldn't be the entire game. They should also take into account other aspects of the competing worlds. As I said before, League of Legends and other games exist for that reason.

Comments

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402

play the game and you cna be the judge of that simple as that

• pikweedpikweed Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by dadante666

I played Guild Wars: Nightfall and applied for the beta of GW2. I just don't understand the mindset of people who are worshiping this game and would like them to explain it to me. I look at a game like Archeage that actually feels like an MMO and not a single player RPG with PvP and wonder why MMO fans are getting so excited over this. There really isn't any of the "community" or "domestic" aspects that make MMOs interesting for me.

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

You know i had this whole response to the OP but it just seems so pointless now, if someone is incapable of looking into the literally hundreds of video pre-views and then make an educated decision about GW2 then i really have nothing to say to them.

So MEH.

Lolipops !

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by dadante666

image This. Because there is nothing I can say the game does that you'd think is revolutionary anyway, so just play the game when you have the chance and see for yourself.

I could simply list a bunch of things or show a bunch of examples, yet you'll just refute them, saying that X & Y was done in Z game, then the thread will devolve into a flamewar and people will say that no game since Pong has been revolutionary. I've been on these threads for too long. image

• style360style360 Member Posts: 70

I would recommend reading the "everything we know about GW2 so far" sticky, but I'm afraid it's pretty outdated by now.

Also, I'd say that the exploration is one of the most emphasized features of GW2 due to the hidden jumping puzzles and the Dynamic Events making the world more "believable" and changing than previously.

However, there's probably quite a few people who expect it to be a liiiittle more revolutionary than the game actually is, so I predict there'll be some people feeling let-down on release because the game didn't live up to all their expectations.

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768

Originally posted by pikweed

Can somebody please explain what is so "revolutionary" about this game? I played Guild Wars: Nightfall and quit because it was just an instanced online RPG with an online hub and PvP. To me this game doubles down on this idea. They talk about removing the boring things about MMOs but this game isn't even an MMO. The economy is basically non-existant compared to other games, there's no exploration and the entire game is instanced. They want everyone to feel like a "hero", and everyone to feel like what they are doing actually matters. Instancing everything is counter intuitive to this. The idea that PvP should have no connection to the rest of the game is absurd. If you want a class based, arena style competitive game, play League of Legends.

There are some things I agree with them on. I feel like grinding to the level cap to get into the "real" game is a ridiculous idea, but letting everyone automatically reach level cap with max gear for PvP is not the way to solve this. I also like the idea of 2 week long, persistent world vs. world PvP. However, if it's purely based on what world has more "skill", it might as well just be a random group vs another random group because MMOs are not just about skilled combat. Although I do think MMOs don't put enough emphasis on skill, it shouldn't be the entire game. They should also take into account other aspects of the competing worlds. As I said before, League of Legends and other games exist for that reason.

Hopefully it will turn to .  If you want class based, arena style competitive game, witha  plethora of other great things play gw2

• Games888Games888 Member Posts: 243

google is ur best friend.

• CaponestyleCaponestyle Member UncommonPosts: 112

This is not guildwars this is guildwars 2 . i infact Bought the original collectors edition of guildwars and played it since launch, and loved it. Guildwars 2 has completely revamped the game into an entirely different xperience. everything is not instanced like guildwars 2. The skill system is also much more like your typical mmo. no more multi clasing or creating completely unique skill builds. Its all layed out with different choices to make. The reason this game is going to be revolutionary is because it will be th first big budget game that has listened to mmo community and built a MMORPG with the best off all out there in the same game. more importantly the revolution will be CHANGING THE MMORPG PAYMENT METHOD. As it is a full fledged high class mmorpg that is free to play. I highely doubt we will see any more going the subscription based model which was something we have all been waiting for. Gamers are not stupid. we know the server costs are not what they used to be back in the day and we know game devs are not giving us value per month like they all claimed they would. Any significant update for any mmorpg was always through an expansion where we ended up buying the game all over again anyways. THANK YOU GUILDWARS 2 FOR FIGHTING FOR THE GAMERS. the end. lol

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

there is nothing revolutionary about GW2.  But its a fun game when you play it

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    It's not revolutionary, it's a paradigm shift, down with mounts, hooray for cash shops, hooray for the newfangled day/night cycles.
  • EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Originally posted by style360
    I would recommend reading the "everything we know about GW2 so far" sticky, but I'm afraid it's pretty outdated by now.

That sticky is linked in my signature, it's not that out of date, I haven't touched on the cash shop leaks and the cash shop blog but everything else is more or less there, it's definitely enough to stop the OP from thinking it's like GW.

Originally posted by RefMinor

It's not revolutionary, it's a paradigm shift, down with mounts, hooray for cash shops, hooray for the newfangled day/night cycles.

Serious question,  why so angry?

Originally posted by st4t1ck

Read it in a monty python voice, mockery does not require anger.

what does it require to mock at almost every available situataion

A sense of the absurd.

A sense of the absurd.

understood

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

Hysterical.

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• GWFandaddyGWFandaddy Member Posts: 180

Originally posted by Caponestyle

This is not guildwars this is guildwars 2 . i infact Bought the original collectors edition of guildwars and played it since launch, and loved it. Guildwars 2 has completely revamped the game into an entirely different xperience. everything is not instanced like guildwars 2. The skill system is also much more like your typical mmo. no more multi clasing or creating completely unique skill builds. Its all layed out with different choices to make. The reason this game is going to be revolutionary is because it will be th first big budget game that has listened to mmo community and built a MMORPG with the best off all out there in the same game. more importantly the revolution will be CHANGING THE MMORPG PAYMENT METHOD. As it is a full fledged high class mmorpg that is free to play. I highely doubt we will see any more going the subscription based model which was something we have all been waiting for. Gamers are not stupid. we know the server costs are not what they used to be back in the day and we know game devs are not giving us value per month like they all claimed they would. Any significant update for any mmorpg was always through an expansion where we ended up buying the game all over again anyways. THANK YOU GUILDWARS 2 FOR FIGHTING FOR THE GAMERS. the end. lol

Really?  Not trying to pick a fight, It's just that, with all the different skill sets for different weapons, and different choices within each weapon set, the opportunity for unique skill builds seems to be nearly endless to me.  Am I missing something?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CaponestyleCaponestyle Member UncommonPosts: 112

A brewster, Your right is still far more customisable then most common mmorpgs. its just not the same structure as guildwars one where you could litterly add any skill you wanted from any two different classes in the game to make completely unique skill sets that complement each other. I really do like the layout of the guildwars 2 skill tree . its simply a little more restricting. Note i am looking forward to guildwars 2 more then anyone and custom building a new PC strictly for this game to play it in all of its glory :P

• JrogalskJrogalsk Member Posts: 34

Originally posted by Voiidiin

You know i had this whole response to the OP but it just seems so pointless now, if someone is incapable of looking into the literally hundreds of video pre-views and then make an educated decision about GW2 then i really have nothing to say to them.

So MEH.

I agree with this statement. There is so much information out there up to this point that if you can't see why this game is going to be amazing by this point, than don't bother trying. If you can't make up your mind why every aspect of this game is revolutionary than you never will.

• AnkurAnkur Member Posts: 334

Originally posted by Jrogalsk

Originally posted by Voiidiin

So MEH.

I agree with this statement. There is so much information out there up to this point that if you can't see why this game is going to be amazing by this point, than don't bother trying. If you can't make up your mind why every aspect of this game is revolutionary than you never will.

Probably because it is not? 

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I have to somewhat agree with the OP, It seems they are pulling a lot of things out that make a good rpg. I still am going to play and am very excited about it, but the more that comes out and I read about it the less I like.  Crafting is pretty much useless from what I understand if it's so easy to get gear why do it? That was/is an awesome part of an rpg. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by Jrogalsk

There is so much information out there up to this point that if you can't see why this game is going to be amazing by this point, than don't bother trying. If you can't make up your mind why every aspect of this game is revolutionary than you never will.

A sense of the absurd.

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648

Originally posted by pikweed

People still looking at Guild Wars 1 and comparing it to Guild Wars 2???? They are two COMPLETELY different genres and COMPLETELY different games. It would be like comparing warcraft 3 to world of warcraft. The two games are that different. Much like Warcraft 3 and WoW the only thing in common between Guild Wars 1 and 2 is the lore. They may have subtle similarities but thats about it. I encourage you to educate yourself before making a post like this. It's troll bait I'm afraid.